Brigham Young University plans 2010 tuition hike

• Big Young Ham
    Nov. 9, 2009 1:46 p.m.

to responder to Yale Graduate: your response does not seem very moromon like.

• to MissouriJoe
    Nov. 3, 2009 2:54 p.m.

MissouriJoe,

"Why would a church want to be in the position to decide which faithful disciple is capable of being an engineer or doctor or lawyer?"

"I'm not questioning that BYU is a university. I'm questioning why the church sponsors it. Mormon kids could just as easily go to their best suited state or private schools."

The most capable students earn the highest return on their degree. Attending BYU makes those students more likely to find LDS spouses and stay active members. So, selecting the most capable students helps maximize future tithing donations, which finances the church's goals. The church is behaving rationally to maximize (net) tithing income given its constraints.

More broadly, it's clearly a bargain for anyone, member or non-member, who doesn't mind (or enjoys) the religious/behavioral requirements and environment.

• Thanks
    Nov. 3, 2009 2:35 p.m.

The BYU undergrad education prepared me to compete with Ivy League students in an Ivy League grad school. Great education, great atmosphere and the greatest bargain in undergrad education. Thanks BYU.

• Anonymous
    Nov. 3, 2009 2:13 p.m.

This is a puzzling move. In this "Great Recession" in which families are struggling more than they have in decades, the "Christlike" Church and its flagship institution of higher education decides to "help out" struggling families by... raising tuition? Requiring people who have less money to pay MORE money for education? How does that make any sense at all?

• BYU - Idaho
    Nov. 3, 2009 12:18 p.m.

The requirements to get into BYU Idaho are considerably less than those of BYU. If your child can't get into BYU I, then perhaps college is not for them. Not saying the students at BYU-I aren't also strong academically, only that getting IN is easier than it is for the Y. I've known a lot of students who start out at BYU - I and then later transfer to BYU.
    If you want to help your child get into BYU, look into the recommendations on their website BEFORE your child starts high school. This way you'll know long before your child applies whether or not he has a good chance of being accepted.

• To Yale Graduate:
    Nov. 1, 2009 12:45 p.m.

You, likely are the complete joke. The educated and high minded are the complete joke. I would take the humble BYU student over the most educated and self-agrandizing Yale or Harvard Grad any day. For in that choice, one would likely be closer to God than by choosing the some "man-made" institution of self-supposed higer learning.

Hope you get that camel through the eye of the needle bub!

• Sympathetic to "Concerned Mom"
    Oct. 31, 2009 4:29 p.m.

Although mistaken, I understand how "concerned Mom" feels. Her disappointment is real. My daughter had straight As in high school, qualified for her High School All State Choirs and Orchestra annually, was very active in church service, and was even awarded a music scholarship (by the Music Department)at BYU (Provo) last Fall. Yet BYU turned her down for the Fall 2008 semester. The only reason we can figure -- she did poorly on her ACT. I don't like using ACTs as an indicator of a person's ability to succeed. Our daughter has since continued on at ASU with a full scholarship in the Music program with straight As. We felt angry that BYU didn't recognize her academic potential at the time, similar to the "concerned mom." Yet with the growth of the church we realize judgments (whether good or bad) must be made to fill a limited number of seats. I do wonder if the same scholarly entrance standards are required for all the students getting sports scholarships, or is the "bar" lowered to have a good football team, for example?

• ramper
    Oct. 31, 2009 3:25 p.m.

That's really not so bad. The School of Hard Knocks just raised their tuition 6 knocks.

• Another Mom
    Oct. 31, 2009 2:29 p.m.

I thought that we paid tithithing because it was a commandment that brings those who follow it many blessings. (It sure has our family) The Lord can directed it to be spent however he sees fit. I am greatful for BYU and the institution it is they may use my tithing with no complaints from me! I will tell u that it is by merit that students get in to BYU. My son was accepted and desided not to go. A friend whos husband is very rich and very famous who is a BYU graduate said that not one of her children had been accepted at BYU.(she told my son he was nuts for not going) So Concerned Mom it is not the conections or the money it is meeting the qualifications! My husband talked to a General Authority one day who told him they can not interseed on an applicants behalf they need to qualify with grades, ACTs, service, extrc. activities, seminary, etc. There are only so many spots and BYU does great getting as many kids in as possible. Look at the changes at Idaho and Provo to help have space for more students.

• Josh
    Oct. 31, 2009 1:52 p.m.

Sound like the Church need to redirect some funds to City Creek Center. THis is what I heard anyway.

• Yale Graduate
    Oct. 31, 2009 1:42 p.m.

BYU is a complete joke.

• re: Concerned Mom
    Oct. 31, 2009 12:02 p.m.

According to a few websites I found, BYU has a 78% acceptance rate. People tend to forget that most people who apply get in (8 out of 10). The reason it's still the most academically prestigious school in Utah is because more of the better students are drawn by the price and a lot of people weed themselves out of the mix and don't even apply. Most of my friends who would have liked to go there made it sound like they didn't get in, when in reality they didn't finish the application. I wouldn't call 78% of applicants the aristocracy of the church.

• MiP
    Oct. 31, 2009 11:15 a.m.

When I was in undergrad (late 90's), the U was comparible in price to BYU. I'm not sure if they still are but I consider it a good deal. Both are a steal for Utah residents and church members. They should be pleased with the academics avaliable to them.

• BYU Hawaii Student
    Oct. 31, 2009 11:15 a.m.

To Rick | 9:36 a.m. Oct. 31, 2009,

Are you Rick Mcbride?

• Amazed
    Oct. 31, 2009 10:50 a.m.

@ MissouriJoe

The church provides tons of opportunities for spiritual learning and growth outside of BYU. BYU hardly needs to become a seminary itself.

The selection criteria has become more demanding simply because church membership has grown creating more demand and families are more affluent and can afford college in a world that requires it in many occupational fields. Since the primary role is to provide an education, it makes perfect sense that academic performance plays a major role. I don't think this stuff is rocket science.

Lastly, I highly doubt you are completely baffled why the church sponsors BYU and how the church and the church membership benefits.

• Rick
    Oct. 31, 2009 9:36 a.m.

Also, forget the baloney that the Church is discriminating against non-Mormons. It is a Mormon school, so of course that's their target audience, but they are very open to non-Mormons attending. As a BYU faculty member I can assure you that in our graduate program, we would love to have more non-members apply. But yes, there is a "scholarship" benefit for members of the Church that makes their tuition cheaper. There's nothing wrong for that.

• Rick
    Oct. 31, 2009 9:34 a.m.

BTW, BYU accepts 60% of the students who apply. That's very high. So it's not as selective as you think (although, granted, many students don't apply if they know their grades aren't competitive---average BYU GPA is about 3.7). BYU-Idaho accepts 90% of its applicants.

So bottom line, is if you want your child to have a BYU experience, they are almost assured of the chance to do so, either at BYU-provo or BYU-Idaho. The Church is very interested in making the opportunity available to everyone. If your GPA is not the best, then go to BYU-Idaho. That's still a wonderful educational experience.

• You Can Get In
    Oct. 31, 2009 8:52 a.m.

Students who work hard and perform well can get into BYU. I have 5 children and all attended BYU. We are not rich, famous, or well-connected. Several of my children earned scholarships that brought the cost down but it was a bargain anyway.

I'm grateful that the Church runs a high quality educational institution that is available for members to attend. The Church has decided that it's better to provide a spiritual learning environment for some of the members than to provide for none.

In a similar way, the Church provides the PEF program to educate some members (but not all) because it can't educate them all.

The Church provides food, clothing and relief add to some, but not all, because it can't provide for all.

• Missou Blue
    Oct. 31, 2009 8:31 a.m.

My wife & I attended BYU during late 60's & early 70's. Both very poor & worked our Y through school. Some of the fondest memories of our lives have been associated with this great university. If you're fortunate enough to get in as we were & apply yourself, you come out a far better person. You can't put a price tag on its value!

• @Concerned Mom
    Oct. 31, 2009 8:02 a.m.

I don't agree with your comment: "those of us who are not among the aristocracy of the Church end up subsidizing the children of the rich, famous, and "connected"" I believe the selection process at BYU primarily focuses on grades & ACT scores. Some exceptions occur by the sports teams recruiting athletes, which is another topic of discussion.

HOWEVER...
    I do understand the frustration evident in your other comment: "BYU effectively rejects most of the students from good, tithing-paying families!" This must be especially frustrating if you pay tithing, your children desire to attend BYU, but were turned down.

I would imagine it is equally frustrating for people who are financially strapped, working multiple jobs, can't afford tuition at state-sponsored universities, e.g. Utah State, University of Utah, and yet are expected to pay State Income Tax, a part of which goes to subsidize tuition at these schools.

When one is denied something, but due to how things are structured, is required to help fund it for someone else...well, that is discouraging.

• Re: MissouriJoe
    Oct. 31, 2009 7:44 a.m.

Education is, indeed, a goal of the LDS Church. If you cannot make it into BYU, try BYU Idaho.

I simply do not see an issue here. I've read some silly arguments on the boards, but that was one of the dumbest. BYU is already as large as it can get, and they have worked on ways to promote students to graduate as quickly as possible so they can further increase their numbers.

BYU also fits the goals of the LDS Church through its broadcasting ability (KBYU), the research that is done in the Department of Religion, the devotionals given weekly that are broadcast for everyone to listen to (yes, even the mere mortals that are not accepted).

The LDS church also hires accountants to go over finances in SLC. Should we be up in arms that they do not offer the ability to work as an accountant to everyone?

• Subsidy City
    Oct. 31, 2009 7:37 a.m.

BYU's tuition is outrageously low -- far below even the in-state rates of many public universities. Why? Because the Church is subsidizing the majority of the real cost of a BYU education. Why? Good question. A more minimal subsidy would still give the Church powerful control over BYU and allow for other educational investments in other parts of the world. Hundreds of millions of dollars are being put into the BYUs to subsidize tuition rates that, in comparative terms, are almost nothing -- and the beneficiaries are often more well off Church members.

• Anonymous
    Oct. 31, 2009 6:07 a.m.

I teach at a small two-year community college in another state. The tuition is about the same as it is ayt BYU. It is lauded throughout the state for being the best buy in the state. The students here complain constantly about how expensive it is. People are never satisfied.

Anyone who complains about tuition at BYU has obviously never done a comparative analysis of tuition at other institutions--either private or public.

Why should the church subsidize tuition for students who are less capable/motivated/serious? (And perhaps less spiritually worthy than the parents think.) The church provides FREE tuition at LDS institutes at many colleges and universities throughout the US where students can get an LDS exeperience, no matter what their academic and spiritual achievements are.

For some, this is a far better choice. Some students simply not academically prepared for the rigorous academic standards at BYU. (One of my sons would have to work hard to succeed at the school where I teach, and the demands there are far fewer and lower.)

• Anonymous
    Oct. 31, 2009 3:38 a.m.

BYU is expensive for people who pay tithing but can't send their child there. We the tithe payers are paying tuition some place else and subsidizing students in Provo. Please don't complain Cougars.

• to missouri joe
    Oct. 31, 2009 3:05 a.m.

what a dunce. You suggest that BYU should accept no one because they can't accept everyone? Sounds like someone didn't get into BYU and is quite bitter.

• to concerned mom
    Oct. 31, 2009 3:03 a.m.

waah waah. you wouldn't believe how many people apply to BYU. They can't accept everyone. So they choose the best or most promising students -- when the demand exceeds the supply, a school can do that. So maybe you should have encouraged your children to get better grades and to excel in other areas. Don't tell me how you can't stand BYU. Based on your attitude I can guess why your kids didn't make the cut.

• MissouriJoe
    Oct. 31, 2009 1:51 a.m.

To MJB - Exactly! Monasteries teach religious principles to faithful adherents. It seems a good fit for a church to be in the business of running monasteries.

Universities teach math, engineering, history, etc. Students learn skills, graduate, and go on to make money. Why would a church want to be in the position to decide which faithful disciple is capable of being an engineer or doctor or lawyer? It's a dilemma intrinsic to any church that runs a university. BYU and Mormons, Notre Dame and Catholics, Oral Roberts U. and - well I don't know which denomination that is.

I'm not questioning that BYU is a university. I'm questioning why the church sponsors it. Mormon kids could just as easily go to their best suited state or private schools. There are plenty of good ones to chose from.

And, a minor point, most universities aren't selective. BYU is positioning itself as an elite, selective school. But that's a strategy, not a requirement. I think it's a fairly recent strategy (past couple of decades).

• MJB
    Oct. 31, 2009 12:12 a.m.

re: missouri joe

You want to know why BYU is selective? BECAUSE IT'S A UNIVERSITY....... A LEARNING INSTITUTION. If it admitted on spiritual quality it would be a monastery not a university.

• MIssouriJoe
    Oct. 30, 2009 11:45 p.m.

To Zagruda Guy: Yes you're right - BYU is a meritocracy. As are Harvard, Yale, University of Chicago, Stanford, etc.

My question is, how do you harmonize the need to reject faithful members due to academic inadequacy with the mission of the Church?

• MissouriJoe
    Oct. 30, 2009 11:35 p.m.

I agree with Concerned Mom. The selection criteria are set by the governing body in order to position BYU as a "selective" school. That's a decision. It means many, many spiritually dedicated, but less academically talented kids are rejected. And they are rejected by the same institution to which, in all aspects, they're loyal.

The marginal benefits of attending BYU relate to future earning potential, which in turn, relates to social status. It is inappropriate for a religious organization to be in an enterprise that must differentiate based on talent and test scores.

I just don't understand why the church is in the education business when there are abundant public and private university alternatives. Why create the dilemma of having to reject kids (and their families) due to their God-given weaknesses? Why create a tiered system where one designated school is selective and elite?

• Re: PAC 10
    Oct. 30, 2009 11:30 p.m.

Get a clue paper boy. This article has nothing to do with athletics. Besides, BYU doesn't need the PAC 10.

• mom from washington
    Oct. 30, 2009 10:59 p.m.

$65.00 is a steal compared to the increase in tuition at Washington State University. It is cheaper for our son to attend BYU-I than to stay in is own hometown and live in his own bedroom. Our other two children went to USU to have the LDS experience and had the privilege of paying $6,000 per year just for out of state tuition. Of course they couldn't become residents after 1 year, it takes 2. That totaled $12,000 per year times 2 children= $24,000--not including tuition for classes or living expenses. That was what was a rip off!!

• Mona
    Oct. 30, 2009 10:19 p.m.

Concerned Mom: I am sorry if your family members have not been admitted to BYU. But it has to be for a reason other than your lack of "connections." I was admitted to BYU with zero "connections"--I was a new convert, came from a smokin' drinkin' family, didn't know the words to the hymns and wouldn't have known a GA if they had knocked me over the head w/ a 2x4. Didn't even know what Relief Society meant! Most of my roommates were from humble dirt-farming families.

• great value
    Oct. 30, 2009 10:12 p.m.

I earned my undergraduate and graduate degrees from BYU. It's a bargain. Even if tuition doubled, it would still be a bargain. It's a first class education from a private university at a bargain rate.

• PAC 10
    Oct. 30, 2009 10:04 p.m.

If BYU will double their Tuition, they can become a prestigous research school and BYU can then be admitted into the PAC 10. Small price to pay to run with the big dogs.

• Marquette Alum
    Oct. 30, 2009 9:05 p.m.

I graduated from BYU in 1999 with no debt. Dental school at Marquette was over $35,000.00 every year. I have heard it is over $40k now. My BYU education was a steal and I can only hope my kids can go there in the future.

• Zadruga Guy
    Oct. 30, 2009 8:53 p.m.

@Concerned Mom -- BYU is a meritocracy. The students with the best grades in tough classes and test scores get in. In marginal cases, they also look at factors such as service projects done by the applicants and their degree of extra-curriculur involvement.

I strongly suspect that even a GA's son or daughter gets exactly the same consideration as anyone else -- if you are good enough, you get in, otherwise you don't.

If you don't think that admission on the basis of who is most qualified is the appropriate criteria, then what would you use instead? Given that the Church has 13 million members, it is impossible for everyone to be admitted who is "from good, tithing-paying families."

• BYU Alum
    Oct. 30, 2009 8:27 p.m.

If you don't think BYU is worth it, you don't have to go there. It isn't as if students don't have an alternative. If non-Mormons don't think it is worth it at 2x, then they don't have to go there. It's not as if they don't have an alternative.

College tuition has been rising across the country for decades. The inflation rate is not the best measuring rod, because university costs have to do with all the expenses associated with a university, and they have been rising faster than inflation.

• Re: Bill
    Oct. 30, 2009 8:13 p.m.

Students don't pay extra for more prestigious programs (unless you are referring to grad school). Undergrads all pay the same rate whether they are in the business school or sociology.

• BYU Alum
    Oct. 30, 2009 8:08 p.m.

No matter what it costs to attend BYU, it is worth every penny! I have benefited beyond words as a result of the awesome education I received at BYU. The entire time I was there I was humbled and honored by the fact that I knew hundreds of other people would have been thrilled to take my place as a student there anyday, anytime!

• Re: Concerned Mom
    Oct. 30, 2009 7:25 p.m.

I attended BYU from 1971-1975 (tuition $300 per semester the entire 4 years) and was not from "the aristocracy, rich, famous or connected" (and not from Utah)...I just happened to have good grades so I was admitted. Quit trying to blame BYU for your children not being admitted - they weren't the best students to apply that year.

• Concerned Mom
    Oct. 30, 2009 6:40 p.m.

Who cares if you get a discount on BYU tuition because you pay tithing? In its efforts to become the "Harvard of the West" under Holland, BYU effectively rejects most of the students from good, tithing-paying families! If you can't get into BYU, then you can't take advantage of the tuition and tithing "credit"! Therefore, those of us who are not among the aristocracy of the Church end up subsidizing the children of the rich, famous, and "connected" with our tithing dollars PLUS we have to pay higher tuition at some other school! I am so disgusted with it, I can't stand it.

• Allan Sanders
    Oct. 30, 2009 6:01 p.m.

Those who are complaining that BYU's tuition is too high are far removed from reality. Having graduated from both BYU and Harvard, I will tell you that BYU is the deal of a lifetime. Best education for the dollar bar none.

• Great Bargain
    Oct. 30, 2009 6:01 p.m.

I sent my daughter to BYU for less money than I paid for may son here in Colorado for in state tuition. I think it is a bargain.

• 1984
    Oct. 30, 2009 5:13 p.m.

I paid about $750 for a semester at BYU in 1984!

What gives?

Milk has gone up 75% since then.
    Gas has gone up 120 % since then.

pay has gone from $5.00 hr to $9.00 hour for many student type jobs.

How does tuition go up to over $2000?? Oh, yeah, pay for all the new buildings!

• Anonymous
    Oct. 30, 2009 5:04 p.m.

Tuition has increased every year since I started attending school. It was nice back when it was $1920. In the end it isn't that much more and it is still a lot cheaper than other schools.

• BYU grad
    Oct. 30, 2009 4:58 p.m.

I agree BYU is the deal of deals in higher ed. But has anyone checked out the inflation rate of tuition over past 20 years and compared to the curent hot button - healthcare? I'll bet tuition increases exceed healthcare cost increases, especially if you exclude all the new procedures not available 20 yrs ago.

In general, higher ed has little accountability and spends money faster than almost anyone else.

• Clovisfan
    Oct. 30, 2009 4:27 p.m.

Every student that attends BYU gets the equivalent of a scholarship because the tuition is so cheap. The Brethren want to make the tuition affordable and have done a great job in doing that. Attending BYU is a privilege, so those that attend have to earn it. I think it's a great system. The great education available at BYU is not rationed so much by abiltiy to pay as by talent, ability and hard work.

• Fredd
    Oct. 30, 2009 4:08 p.m.

Just don't start a calendar business!!!

• Pagan
    Oct. 30, 2009 3:46 p.m.

Go to Salt Lake community college, or the University of Utah. It's cheaper.

And you can date while you do it!

• BYU-Biased is Crazy
    Oct. 30, 2009 3:46 p.m.

To BYU=Biased:

Wow. Your logic is amazing... you must have attended a prestigious school yourself.

• Ace
    Oct. 30, 2009 3:42 p.m.

To BYU=Biased, give me a break.
    I went to the University of Kansas as an out-of-state student, and paid 4 times what in-state students paid. I guess, by your logic KU=Biased to all non-Kansas people.
    BYU is a great deal, and a great education.

• Anonymous
    Oct. 30, 2009 3:33 p.m.

Why would red box make their machines? WHY?

• To Dr J
    Oct. 30, 2009 3:29 p.m.

Think about your comment about the grounds. Nearly all that labor is provided by students who work, and are paid. They then spend that money for school, housing, and food. Better than no financial aid, and requires effort rather than nothing like grant, or scholarship, which BYU is very generous with also.

• Byu=good deal
    Oct. 30, 2009 3:22 p.m.

The average private school for one year of tuition is around $25,000!! BYU is a top 100 school ( us news) and obviously a private school but is extremely cheap! The LDS church pays for the majority of the students tuition EVEN NON LDS STUDENTS! Naturally they pay even more for LDS students because it's a church owned school. LDS or non LDS it's still one of the best values in America!

• BYU=Biased
    Oct. 30, 2009 2:43 p.m.

BYU is biased against non members, just look at the tuition, it's designed in my opinion to lure members of the church only to the Y. They don't want non members, they want only members whose parents pay for their whole education.

• RE: Ih
    Oct. 30, 2009 2:41 p.m.

I think I prefer "Wait ago."

Kind of like a "moo point" (It's like what a cow says, it just doesn't matter, it's moo.)

Would have liked to see some price comparisons to other institutions. What do University of Utah students pay? How about other private institutions - Notre Dame, Temple. I don't know why BYU is not rated among the best values in education every year. It is almost as if US News and World Report does not believe tuition is $2,500, not $25,000.

Great school, great value (as long as you can put up with those 5% of BYU students that everyone hates.)

• CPA Alum
    Oct. 30, 2009 2:37 p.m.

You Figure It Out...

You're kidding right? This is the least expensive private tuition (and much less than MANY state schools) in the nation! Let alone the fact that it is one of the best schools around (e.g., regular ranked in the top 10 for business programs).

If state schools like UCLA are $20k per semester just to keep the lights on, as a tithe payer, I sort of wish they would raise it even more (and yes, I have two kids there myself...)

• re: figure it out
    Oct. 30, 2009 2:35 p.m.

Just open your eyes and look around a little at tuition rates across the country. My friend is getting his MBA at Notre Dame and he pays $40k a year compared to BYU's $9k/year. I have other friends paying similar amounts just for their undergrads. BYU is extremely affordable!

• Dr. J
    Oct. 30, 2009 2:23 p.m.

$1200 tuition per semester back in the 90's and a six figure income today (that's before the decimal UU grads). Great investment--and I willingly pay my tithes and taxes.

But please BYU, if you cut the grounds staff by about half and mow the lawn only when it needs to be mowed, I would estimate the savings to be in the millions annually.

• Look at CNN
    Oct. 30, 2009 2:12 p.m.

Today they had a related article on the most expensive Universities in the US. All had 3-4% increases in their tuition this year. Pretty standard.

• Re: Shawilli
    Oct. 30, 2009 2:11 p.m.

Before your next post, you may want to spend a little money on an economics class or two.

• Bill
    Oct. 30, 2009 2:01 p.m.

Actual it is unfair that members pay that amount. There are enough members that want to go there and since it is a private instituion it should be much more expensive than it is. Guess what anonymous the mormon students at other schools pay that 10% as well. As far as comparable that depends on the program. BYU does charge more for its better programs but believe it or not many of its programs are inferior to the same program at other schools that BYU folks think are inferior.

• BYU vs Notre Dame
    Oct. 30, 2009 1:59 p.m.

My undergrad was at BYU. For my graduate program at Notre Dame, the tuition is currently $38,860 per year. BYU students have it awfully good.

• Anonymous
    Oct. 30, 2009 1:50 p.m.

WhY is this news? BYU has raised their tuition rates every year since 2003. They didn't from 2001 to 2002 due to the problems following 9-11. In 2002 I was paying about $1,500/semester and you could see what the rates are now. They also increase fees and rental prices every year.

• wait ago?
    Oct. 30, 2009 1:47 p.m.

College is not for everyone

• lh
    Oct. 30, 2009 1:46 p.m.

The phrase is "Way to go", not "Wait ago".

• My first semester
    Oct. 30, 2009 1:26 p.m.

950 dollars in 1991....My last semester was 1380... After professional school which was around 20,000 a semester, I realized what a deal BYU was. The undergrad was 4000 per semester for instate tuition where I went to professional school!

3% increase is very modest. My professional school tuition increased 11% each of my last 3 years (2000-2003)! OUCH. Education is an investment. Its return is much higher than what is invested.

• Figure It Out.
    Oct. 30, 2009 1:23 p.m.

Gee what a surprise that they are rising it AGAIN!! when will it end? Pretty soon they will raise it so that kids can not afford to go to College, Wait ago BYU,

• boooo!
    Oct. 30, 2009 1:12 p.m.

boooo!

• RE: anon
    Oct. 30, 2009 1:11 p.m.

Um, I think you just started the argument.

• bergstro
    Oct. 30, 2009 1:07 p.m.

BYU tuition could triple, and it would still be a steal compared to other comparable institutions.

• Still a good deal
    Oct. 30, 2009 1:06 p.m.

Wow, tuition's so cheap at the Y. At UCLA I'm paying 40,000 a year . . . as an undergrad!

• shawilli
    Oct. 30, 2009 1:03 p.m.

I will go out on a limb and venture a guess that the tuition rates will continue to increase with each passing year. The "great Recession" is going to end up doing a great deal of damage to family budgets everywhere, rising tuition rates and rising prices on everything are already taking a terrible toll on people all across this country. I don't personally see any positive outcome to all the price increases, once the recession is over sadly the "new higher prices" in place will not be lowered and people will simply end up having to pay much higher prices for education or food the rent etc. That is the downside of a recession ending that many people don't stop to consider, prices rise during a recession to new levels and then don't go back down to the old levels. The recession is going to one day end yet the damage that this will have done to this country will scar this country for many, many years to come. The recovery is going to be very slow and millions will have lost jobs and homes and end up paying more.

• Anonymous
    Oct. 30, 2009 12:53 p.m.

Now before this message board is flooded with anti-mormon comments about how it is unfair that non-mormons pay twice as much tuition to attend... Don't forget that the Mormons who attend BYU pay 10% of their income in tithing for their entire lives!!!

I'm glad I've ended this argument before it started!!