New Utah curriculum focuses on Indians

• Anonymous
    Dec. 12, 2009 8:27 p.m.

this is a cool news. Thank you.

• Joe Shirley
    Nov. 17, 2009 8:47 a.m.

what a tradition!

• Dineh
    Nov. 16, 2009 8:18 p.m.

I see here that everyone seems to be at each others throats. I am for one a Navajo and preferd to be called a Native American. All us Native people are land base meaning we didnt migrate from other countries like other nationallities. Our Native American History is a very sensative to alot of Natives, because of the ways our people have been treated and what we have gone through. I just home whoever is getting this info did there studies and perhaps interview the Utah Native Americans, because alot of our grandparents and great grandparents are passing down our culture and history to the younger generations. They should do it.It needs to be done because I dont want to see US Native People lose our cultures, our Native languages and our way of life.

• tonto
    Nov. 16, 2009 5:08 p.m.

and we see a very stoic indian until later!

• xscribe
    Nov. 16, 2009 3:43 p.m.

@Re Indians Still: Who is the "they" you talk about? Do you believe all Native peoples like being called Indians? Those who came here after the Natives called the Natives "Indians," which wasn't even true. I do believe that Natives would prefer to be called what they are known by in their native tongue, but apparently you are an authority on "all" Natives.

@Navajo Joe: Way to continue the stereotype and use a disparaging name in one fell swoop. That "white man's money" you talk about originally belonged to the natives, until it was stolen, by force and massacres, by said white man. That's something to be proud of, I'm sure.

• JanSan
    Nov. 16, 2009 1:29 p.m.

I think that this is an idea that should have been there all along!!! I worked a lot with this also in homeschooling.

• Not even
    Nov. 16, 2009 1:19 p.m.

worth a comment

• navajo joe
    Nov. 16, 2009 1:04 p.m.

i'm fine with this as long as i keep getting the "white man's" money (scholarships, medical, commodities, etc)

• Skip
    Nov. 16, 2009 1:02 p.m.

Perhaps if we all learn each others history we can get beyond the race issue. Great article but we need more of the same.

• RE Indians Still
    Nov. 16, 2009 11:57 a.m.

They like being called indians. They call themselves indians. The Utes tribe likes the University of Utah keeping the Ute name. Get a clue.

• ha ha ha
    Nov. 16, 2009 9:51 a.m.

read the post on the lose of language and you'll see what's up! and this is a proud anglo! pilgrim or not , seems wrong but true! so what to do!

• xscribe
    Nov. 16, 2009 8:19 a.m.

@Clare: What's your point? All peoples have good and bad. You sound like you're trying to justify what anglos did to the Natives. Hopefully I'm wrong.

@Represent: Are you really proud of your post? These were peoples that were wronged in every way imaginable, and yet you have a gripe about this. Tells a lot about the kind of person you must be.

• Clare
    Nov. 16, 2009 7:06 a.m.

I do teach about Utah's Native Americans, but I teach about all of it. The good and the bad. The Utes were constantly kidnapping the other tribes to sell as slaves. Yet, they also had and have a wonderful culture. I just hope the lessons are balanced.

• Indians still?
    Nov. 16, 2009 4:26 a.m.

I'm just wondering when we will stop calling them Indians? Right? I learned that was a mistake when Columbus thought he was in India. No ? I hadn't heard they were offended or anything but how about we call them by the actual nation names? That might help thier identitiy. Native American or Navajo. Or even indiginous. Or is "indiginous" why "indians" still works? Just wondering...

• right is right
    Oct. 1, 2009 12:16 p.m.

and the representatives are already paying their own way , so dont have to depend on anyone! nor depend on handouts as their are many who assess the situation and know the wooden nickel of a job!

• onawat lough
    Oct. 1, 2009 8:51 a.m.

It is very progressive for the state of Utah to incorporate Native history & Culture. Only states with high native populations teach this. This is not revisionist history! As a Native LDS member I sincerly applaud the State of Utah for doing this. Parents do not teach culture, they teach surrvival in an Anglo world. Native people produce children to fight in wars and expect not to receive benefits from the Veterans Adminstration. I hold a masters degree and work twice as hard as my fellow citizen and only expect to be treated "half as good" with no bitterness. I learned Indian history in high school in Oklahoma where it was mandatory to learn pending graduation.

• Represent
    Oct. 1, 2009 5:02 a.m.

When is the state going to create some lesson plans that will teach my kids about their ancient ancestral customs and the current situation their fellow descendants now find themselves in?

Oh, never mind. I forgot.This is my responsibility. If it is really worth teaching their own culture should be doing it. Maybe Yeah Right should learn a little about personal responsibility and pay their own way to whatever thing they want to represent.

• It's about time
    Sept. 30, 2009 11:47 p.m.

This curriculum is very important for students to learn, and is past due.

The KUED documentary referred to in the article, “We Shall Remain,” is superb. See if it is available at your library, or purchase the DVD — it’s well worth it.

As Professor Matthew Basso said, "The history of Utah, and indeed of the United States, looks significantly different when viewed from the Indian perspective."

PS. Thanks for including the interactive web site.

• yeah right
    Sept. 30, 2009 5:50 p.m.

and the natives themselves nowadays don't play fair amongst themselves...case in pt ..the trip to british columbia did not showcase utah's best athletes...if that is a mini-cosim of this populace and it supports fair play , then why the personal bias allowed? This undermined the academic and athletic prowess of some very good Indian Athletes who recieved some very prestiges awards only to be denied the opportunity to represent!!!