With a new heart beating in his chest, Paul Cardall beats odds yet again

• Jean M in Texas
    Sept. 27, 2009 1:10 p.m.

Paul,

Something deep inside told me your work here on earth was not complete and that you would get the heart needed to go on and touch so many more lives and hearts through your music and inspiration.
    I was given the opportunity to meet you and your lovely family through your sister Rebecca here in Texas. I was invited by her and her family to hear you speak and play that evening. It was a once in a life time experience for which I will be forever greatful. Now when I am lonely or down I pull one of your CDs, shut my eyes and and let the music take over.
    You will always be in my prayers and I hope to meet you again someday. In the mean time get well and may God bless you and your family always.

• willow
    Sept. 22, 2009 6:16 p.m.

I am quite sure they meant to say Paul is the oldest living Utah patient with his type of defect and with a fontan operation.

• me again
    Sept. 18, 2009 12:45 a.m.

SO happy for you Paul! There's many happy years ahead for you! We're looking foward to all the music you share with us in the near future!

I do, however, want to state that the author of this article got one piece of info wrong. "At 36, Cardall was the oldest Utah patient with congenital heart disease to have survived to his age without a transplant." I'm 38, have a CHD, have lived in Utah all my life, and have not had a transplant yet. NOT BRAGGING here, just correcting some information.

Still, for Paul to have lived for 36 years with the type of CHD he had is nothing short of a miracle! And now another miracle has happened! SO AWESOME!!!

• Susan
    Sept. 17, 2009 12:40 a.m.

My daughter had heart problems which were partially helped by surgery. She is now in college, works full time, and is taking salsa dancing class. What a blessing to have a second chance at life. I'm very happy for you and your family. Please take it slow, recuperate, and then get busy and write some more of your wonderful music - I play it often on the piano! Lots of love and hugs from Tucson, AZ.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 16, 2009 9:14 a.m.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Paul. Please continue sharing your heavenly music. Lyn

• Irene
    Sept. 14, 2009 7:57 a.m.

So happy for you Paul. My sister had congential heart disease. Three holes in the heart. She was an inspiration to everyone. I feel elated and sooooo.... happy to have read your story. It's wonderful to know that you have benefited from modern science. Thank you for your courage and your beautiful music.

• jann
    Sept. 13, 2009 9:58 p.m.

God bless you and your family. I've been following your situation on DN. MayGods richrst blessings be with you.

• Indreni
    Sept. 13, 2009 8:08 p.m.

Paul, you have a life to live! I'd heard your story a few months ago and I'm glad to hear things have gotten better.

• Dixie girl
    Sept. 13, 2009 3:02 p.m.

I'm from St. George and I followed with broken heart, the news of your brother and what happened in Hurricane. My heart goes out to your family.

At the same time I knew of your situation and I included all your family in my prayers. The songs on your "Miracles" CD became very poignant to me also. I have piano students who are learning your music and we all wish you the very best.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 13, 2009 10:38 a.m.

Best wishes for a healthy and full life ahead with your family. Our thoughts are with you as well as with the family who made such a generous donation in a time of great grief. blessings to all.

• Felt this would happen!
    Sept. 12, 2009 1:22 p.m.

I am so happy for you and your family Paul! I play your music all the time and love it so much. I have sent the children's album to my little granddaughter. I know she will sing along. May you continue to be blessed with strength and good health and all wonderful things possible for you and your family. I also pray for Anna and her girls. God bless your whole family. I send you my sincere congrats and love. I also will pray for the donor family.

With lots of love

• Happy for you!
    Sept. 12, 2009 4:31 a.m.

Paul and family we are so very grateful for God's love and mercy. May he continue to bless you with health and strength for many years to come. Your faith and goodness will be an inspiration to so very many of us who have struggles and trials here on this earth. God Bless You!

• Yrag Notyalc
    Sept. 11, 2009 11:58 p.m.

The story is a fantastic example of courage and faith. However, I see no reason to have made mention of the brother's mental issues associated with his death earlier this year. Poorly written story and an unnecessary inserted portion re the brother. BUT...hats off to his family's courage and convictions.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 11, 2009 11:45 p.m.

Congratulations to Paul and the whole Cardall family! May you have many more years to make beautiful music for the world!

• Happy
    Sept. 11, 2009 8:48 p.m.

YEA!!! And may those who are also in need be blessed! Congrats Paul and family :)

• All Heaven on Your Side
    Sept. 11, 2009 8:12 p.m.

Dear Paul, Anna & your Family~
    What a miracle to read in the DN about your heart. I have followed your stories with interest. I had the impression as I read the other comments that your rrother, Brian has had a big influence from the other side to meet the individual whose heart was donated to you. HOW COOL IS THAT? Anyway, I am SO pleased for all of you that everything has worked together for your good. I listen to your Christmas Box CD anytime of year. I think it is heaven sent and know you have yet much of your talent and give to contribute more music. You must write your story of great faith and tell it is many ways, book, movie, cds etc. It is incredible and a story that needs to be heard about miracles in our day. Blessings to you for a rapid recovery and the extension of your life and fulfillment of your baby blessing as a wee babe and the voice spoken through your father's. It is a testament of faith and promises kept shows GOD remembers & is the same today and forever.

• Kenneth, a fellow Pianist
    Sept. 11, 2009 6:03 p.m.

Like Linda from Seattle said, our family feels like we "know you" Paul and it has been such an inspiration to hear your music and follow your story. The playing for Eden Concert was amazing and now I've decided to write an college english paper on your story. Thanks for being a Latter-Day hero to me and my family.

• Fantastic News!
    Sept. 11, 2009 4:46 p.m.

We are so happy for you Paul. You are an amazing person who has touched the lives of so many through your beautiful musical talent. Best of luck for a speedy recovery.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 11, 2009 3:24 p.m.

Hooray!!! Yepee!!!! and all the other good exclamantions that say this is wonderful.
    We've said our Thank You prayers and asked for comfort for the family of the donor...We know they will feel that love....
    Janee and Lyle

• just me
    Sept. 11, 2009 2:23 p.m.

I was at the funeral and it was wonderful to feel and see the family love and compassion that was there. your faith and love will take your family far. Each day I actually drive by the spot where Brian was brought down and so I think of him all the time. Our prayers and hopes are with Paul and Anna and the girls.

• Carol Reid
    Sept. 11, 2009 2:17 p.m.

I remember well when you were born, one week before my own daughter. I remember at your baby blessing that your father blessed you to grow to maturity and have a family, even though the doctors said your prognosis was less than a year. What great faith your father had, and what great faith you have developed through these trials.

• Linda from Seattle
    Sept. 11, 2009 2:04 p.m.

We feel like we "know you," as we follow your blog
    and touching story. When I heard you received your
    heart, I yelled from my office, to my husband, HONEY,
    PAUL GOT HIS HEART. And he knew exactly what I was
    talking about. It makes no difference that he never
    met you, is not of your faith...he felt a bond. He
    lost his 37 year old son last year of a heart defect,
    and he was so championing your overcoming. God bless
    you Paul and family, and for touching our lives.

• Grateful for the music in Him
    Sept. 11, 2009 12:40 p.m.

I was listening to Paul's music as i ran across this article. I did not know of his heart problems, but I weep gratefully and thank our loving Savior for preserving Paul's life. His music has touch my heart so deeply and my testimony is strengthen every time. May God continue to bless you and that your patience will be long for the blessing of opposition we face in life that brings out the very best the Savior sees in us.

• An Admirer
    Sept. 11, 2009 12:00 p.m.

I am so very happy for Paul and his family. They have been a great example of people who bear life's burdens with courage, faith, and grace. Perhaps that is one reason Paul's music has such depth and beauty. It has calmed my heart in the midst of my own trials many a time. Thank you for that!

God bless the donor family, too.

• Outside Observer
    Sept. 11, 2009 11:51 a.m.

To all the Cardall Family...thank you for your good examples of "hanging in there". We are all aware of the personal challenges your family has faced this past year. May you find peace and solace in this wonderful event for your family. Our prayers are with your family for Paul's speedy recovery and a reminder of Our Heavenly Father's tender mercies in all of our lives. Best of luck to you Paul for a long, healthy life!

• Nancy from Las Vegas
    Sept. 11, 2009 11:46 a.m.

I hope some day we are able to meet you and your beautiful family. Your brother and wife live in our ward and we have 'lived' some of your experiences through them. Thank you for your beautiful music, faith, and trust in the Lord. God bless you for a sucessful and speedy recovery so you can once again continue to bless all our lives with your talents and love of your fellow man. God bless, too, the family of your donor. Miracles do happen!

• Bill from South Dakota
    Sept. 11, 2009 11:21 a.m.

Best wishes to Paul and the entire Cardall family. My prayers will include them and the family of the donor. We do live in a day and age of miracles. In my own life I have been the recipient of many. All to often people now take things like this for granted. May we all stop and give thanks for the gifts the Lord has given us.

• Dan Gerber
    Sept. 11, 2009 10:57 a.m.

Congrats, Paul. We're praying for a speedy and full recovery. Ofa atu.

• Haynsy
    Sept. 11, 2009 9:42 a.m.

When I want to meditate and find time for myself I often put Paul's music on, at work, in the car, the garage, or in the house. It brings peace to my soul.

Having only recently become aware of his heart condition (I'm from Seattle), I prayed for this young man, that a heart would be found, that God would bless him with extended time here on this earth, to spend with his family and friends, and to use his musical gifts to inspire us.

This is why we are organ donors, to give someone joy in the light of our own tragedies.

Faith, don't face life without it.

• Grateful
    Sept. 11, 2009 9:39 a.m.

My husband worked with Dr. Veasy years ago and had nothing but kind words to say about him. Congrats to Duane and fam. Having lost a son to congenital heart failure when he was 23 I have some limited idea of what this must be like, wishing and hoping. What a kind family who allowed their loved ones heart to give another life.

• CAReenie
    Sept. 11, 2009 9:15 a.m.

Best Wishes to Bro Cardall & his family. Bless you that you may recover quickly and continue to share your beautiful music to all of us. Love your music! You must be a very special man to be given another chance to share your talent. Thank you for all that you to do for us. Again, Congratulations and may the Lord continue to bless you & your family.

• Beautiful
    Sept. 11, 2009 9:08 a.m.

This is truly one of many miracles in action. May you have many years of joy ahead of you, Paul, as you go forward and take on the life you are meant to have.

May this also be a reminder for all of us - organ and tissue donations are a tremendous gift of the ultimate service we can provide. Have you signed up today?

• Laurels
    Sept. 11, 2009 8:57 a.m.

Best wishes to the Cardall family. This has been a challenging and difficult year for them.

Thank you to the family who found it in their souls to give the gift of life even while they are grieving.

Both families are real examples to all of us.

• Crathes
    Sept. 11, 2009 8:45 a.m.

Jimmy - in addition to being a good honest man, he is also very generous. A few years ago, I asked him for some autographed CDs for a charity event. He provided the CDs without cost. Oddly, he had not autographed them. I let him know I was glad to pay for the CDs, but that he was the only one who could autograph them. We laughed and then he signed all the albums. Orphans in Zambia were the beneficiary of his kindness.

• Jimmy
    Sept. 11, 2009 8:27 a.m.

I had a chance to meet Paul about a year ago. Without going into detail of our interaction I can say he is a good honest man. I am happy for him.

• Colorado girl
    Sept. 11, 2009 8:00 a.m.

Best wishes to the Cardall family. I have been watching Paul's story (thanks DN!)and am thrilled that a heart became available. We are truly blessed to lived in this country and this time when medical miracles happen. I encourage all to be organ donors - and make sure to tell your family of your choice!

• Great News
    Sept. 11, 2009 7:53 a.m.

Best wishes, I've followed this from Texas for a while. Hope quality of physical life improves for him immediately; it'll be life as he hasn't known it.

Coincidentally Dr. Veasey did a heart cath on me at 14 in December 1971 at PCH (fortunately determined the murmur was innocuous...I'm almost 53 now) - at the time the Utah Stars were big... all I remember of the procedure was them talking endlessly about a game the previous night.

• Ace
    Sept. 11, 2009 7:50 a.m.

This is a very well written article. I am looking forward to an op ed from Lee Benson. He will have insight available to no other.

• Mike
    Sept. 11, 2009 7:30 a.m.

Great news.

Dr. Veasey was my little sister's cardiologist many, many years ago. Our family got to know him well. I'm glad to see that he was wrong, for once.

Paul, Live long and prosper. You will have more time to share your incredible gift for music with us.

• Rob
    Sept. 11, 2009 7:24 a.m.

May God bless the family who gave so much and for Mr. Cardell. Miracles happen!

• Wonderful news
    Sept. 11, 2009 6:36 a.m.

Great News Paul!! I hope for a speedy recovery. Monte

• A fan
    Sept. 11, 2009 6:20 a.m.

May God continue to bless you. Thanks for your example. We will continue to pray for you.

• An inspired follower
    Sept. 11, 2009 6:07 a.m.

What a fantastic event. God Bless Mr. Cardell with a speedy recovery and a new quality of life that he has yet to experience. I too await a miracle from above as I am in need of a new set of lungs due to Cystic Fibrosis. Thanks to all the individuals that are willing to share their life saving organs with complete strangers to give us a second chance at life. Miracles from above continue daily.

• Mark
    Sept. 11, 2009 5:35 a.m.

This is the best news of the day! My family and I are very glad that he has gotten his heart! What an example of faith and courage he is.

• r.mathieson
    Sept. 11, 2009 12:58 a.m.

right from the start of Dr Barnards, first attempt in south africa so many years ago many people have
    benefited from this kind of transplant surgery(and the other organ transplant surgery)so we have much to thank God for these fine medical saviours who have saved so many lives who in turn have enriched the world by their saved talents; bro Cardall be a becone of hope for others who stand in need. God bless all involved.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 10, 2009 11:08 p.m.

I pray that Paul Cardall will continue to do well and that the donor family will be comforted and at peace after their generous gift of their loved one's heart. Paul has a lot more beautiful music to write. I love his album, Faithful, and listen to it on my iPod frequently.

• Chris
    Sept. 10, 2009 5:03 p.m.

Thank you for sharing yourself with all of us. You have touched numerous lives through your kindness and music! May God bless you!

• Dewzy
    Sept. 10, 2009 3:54 p.m.

We are so grateful Edens dad has received his new heart! We will continue to pray for the Cardall family and also for the donor family. We hope things will continue to go well as Paul recovers. Hopefully his story will help others to decide to become donors. Miracles do happen! Get well soon!

• A fan
    Sept. 10, 2009 3:32 p.m.

Congratulations Cardall family - praying for a speedy and complete recovery. God bless!

• Margaret
    Sept. 10, 2009 3:11 p.m.

Wonderful! Our prayers for a safe and speedy recovery, and MUCH more music.