UVU unveils its new MBA program

• Kevin
    Nov. 2, 2009 7:39 p.m.

University of Phoenix at least accepts more than 40 students into their MBA and has been doing it longer than most universities. They offer complete online degrees, and also get it done under 20k.

Is UVU really better than going to ' the "University" of Phoenix '? Not really, especially when UVU takes six months longer and only offers 1 emphasis. University of Phoenix offers 9. 450,000 students and half a million alumni can't be too far off.

Also, check your UVU faculty, you'll find many that are familiar faces at University of Phoenix ;-)

• John
    Aug. 7, 2009 12:20 p.m.

I like anonymous' comments. University admissions are becoming more about politics and popularity than credentials. Case in point, me: my grades and test scores (i.e. ACT, GMAT, GRE) have been better than half or more of the students admitted to more than one "Ivy League" school in every one of my programs (BA, MBA, PhD). And, where did I choose to go? Weber State University and a small, unknown private MBA program in Oregon. Though I chose a more widely-known school for my PhD, my point is this: Smart, independent-minded people don't always listen to "US News" and their amateur ranking systems- some people think for themselves and achieve- independent of where they go to school. Mark my words, UVU will attract some of the best, brightest and most independently-thinking students in the world and before long, the accomplishments of these students will bring great honor to this program.

• total1096
    July 27, 2009 9:18 a.m.

I think it is great that another institution in Utah will be offering an MBA

• Heh
    July 27, 2009 12:03 a.m.

"Its always been my understading that an MPA or MPP are equally as valuable."

Hehehehehe... hohohohoho...

Nope.

Congratulations to UVU, though. This is a big step forward for them.

• Anonymous
    July 26, 2009 1:33 p.m.

Still better than an MBA from the "University" of Phoenix.

• proudamerican
    July 26, 2009 9:52 a.m.

I concur with "MBA's are worth the money" and "To:Anonymous." I've worked for several large corporations throughout my career, all of whom prided themselves on being meritocracies. The truth however was that one could only get so far in those corporations without an MBA, regardless of how competent they may have been. My MBA has unlocked career doors for me that would not have been opened otherwise. I don't know that the education necessarily provided me with a set of skills that I couldn't have developed on the job, but it gave me the contacts and the piece of paper that I needed to progress.

• To: Anonymous
    July 26, 2009 8:51 a.m.

From your comments I am assuming you don't have an MBA. If you did, you would know how an MBA unlocks the doors of opportunity and significantly increases someone's earning potential and ability to support their family. An MPA is valuable - if you want to focus on Public Administration, not Business Administration.

Like all education, an MBA provides options for someone who is seeking employment and allows them to choose employment they are interested in versus being forced to do something they are not. Our family, for example, has lived outside of the US in both Europe and Asia and had great experiences. If I did not have an MBA, that would have been impossible.

With regard to getting your MBA at BYU or UVU, your school can create recruiting opportunities, but after you get your first job, your career depends on you and your ability to create value for your company. It is 100% about your ability to perform and being dedicated to the task at hand. Not once during a performance evaluation has anyone ever asked me where I went to school. It is always about how I have performed in my job.

• BYUhasNumber5bizschool
    July 23, 2009 1:47 p.m.

That's great that UVU's biz school is offering an MBA program - it will help make it more competitive in general (not necessarily with just BYU). Another thing Woodbury school could do is raise its admissions standards. Most top business schools have a two tier admissions process in which certain courses and grades are required before being admitted into the program; UVU would benefit from doing the same. A lot of students go to UVU after not being admitted into the programs at BYU or the U - does Woodbury want to keep being the school of choice for leftovers? But still, kudos to UVU for moving on to bigger and better things.

• MBA's are worth the money
    July 22, 2009 10:40 a.m.

Say what you want about an MBA not being worth the money but I challenge all those detractors to try and advance within a medium to large corporation without one. I have worked for both Novell (17 years) as well as IHC and now the LDS Church and I know for a fact what a highly valued degree an MBA is. I also know of candidates whom were applying for management and or marketing positions who didn't even meet the minimum requirements for the position without an MBA and were thus rejected without even getting an interview. I am a software engineer with degrees in EE and CS but I have alot of respect for those with MBA's and value they add to a company. MBA's are great degree's!!

• Anonymous
    July 22, 2009 9:52 a.m.

MBA's are the ultimate conformist degree. So, yet another college in Utah offers one which is great I guess.

Its always been my understading that an MPA or MPP are equally as valuable.

Yet, if you still wanna go make millions on Wall St, oh wait...

• Cash Cows
    July 21, 2009 6:07 p.m.

MBA's are outdated at public universities and are a waste of taxpayer money?! Have you actually seen the cost of tuition? With those prices, I am guessing they are cash cows. The USU program is about 17K for two years, part time, no intl trip, and that is by far the cheapest in the SL Valley. You can get to 30K to 50K real quick at Westminster and the U.

• To: RockOn
    July 21, 2009 5:32 p.m.

"Market place" and "under serving"? And you taught at the university level? Really? Wow.

• Saks
    July 21, 2009 5:23 p.m.

Good for UVU, although I would never go there, but good for them.

• Jer
    July 21, 2009 4:30 p.m.

hahahaha

• Anonymous
    July 21, 2009 4:15 p.m.

MBA are outdated at public universities. What a waste of tax payer money!

• RockOn
    July 21, 2009 4:05 p.m.

The writer doesn't quite understand the educational landscape. There is NO competition between BYU and UVU. They serve different audiences to a degree (no pun intended). BYU is grossly under serving their market place. If they tripled the number of students they accept, they still wouldn't come close to the demand.

UVU will put together a fine to excellent program. Their professors and MBA practical contributors will be on a par with BYU because many of the same people will teach at both. Some will be ex-BYU profs and some will be ex-UVU profs.

With UVU only accepting 40 to start, they'll turn away 3 times that number.

Forget the competition mindset (which is great for many things). The two universities are cooperating at a high level and will continue to do so. I've taught at both schools and work with both schools now on projects. The great beneficiary of all of this is the community. Two excellent programs bringing a high level of professionalism to the valley.

It's only good. Totally win-win.