Utah Jazz match Portland offer to Millsap

Commenting has temporarily been suspended in preparation for our new website launch, which is planned for the week of August 12th. When the new site goes live, we will also launch our new commenting platform. Thank you for your patience while we make these changes.

• Meh
    July 18, 2009 10:07 p.m.

Oh and the Dallas guy who commented a few days ago... "I use to value Millsaps toughness, but between his agent reps and the signed Blazers contract... I'm not a big fan anymore. He has a lot to prove and I don't think he can do it." Are you serious? Your gonna take a couple hundred thousand to play for the Jazz instead of 8 million a year for the Blazers? That was the dumbest statemtent I have ever heard!!! Grow up and quit talking sports

• Brandon
    July 18, 2009 10:00 p.m.

Wow you guys are complaining about giving a non proven player 10 million dollars a year.. pretty sure when we decided to give Boozer a Woppin 13 mill a year.. he averaged 15 and 10 the year before... uh... Millsap averaged 14 and 9 last year guys.. and for 10 mill the first year.. which is actually gonna turn out to be 8 mill a year.. Do your research before you make stupid comments

• CJ3
    July 18, 2009 9:20 p.m.

Oh yeah, Millsap is JUST like Odom...

Only much shorter, with a LOT less range, and can't stay on the floor for 36 minutes, due to to an egregious foul rate, like Lamar did 5 years ago.

Not a fair comparison to either one of em.

Millsap relies on his hustle and hard work to get it done, while Odom was blessed with a game that comes to him more easily.

• STEVE-O
    July 18, 2009 1:48 p.m.

Pastor88...

Odom's ave numbers for last year are: 12.3 pts, 9.1 rebs, 1.6 assists

Millsap's numbers are 11.8 pts, 8.0 rebs, 1.6 assists.

Hardly worth another 2 million for an extra .5 pts, 1.1 rebs! And I didn't check the per minute stats but I'm sure it's gotta be similar. Odom is pretty equal to Millsap. Just 5 years older!

• STEVE-O
    July 18, 2009 1:25 p.m.

Shaybo...

Boozer doesn't want to play here anymore!! He asked to be traded!! The other alternative to "getting rid of an all-star for nothing to keep his backup at an inflated price" is to let him leave as a free agent for LITERALLY nothing. So you either pay a bunch of luxury tax money to keep a player for ONE more year, even though he doesn't want to be here.... OR .... you trade him to get out of the luxury tax mess and get something in return. I understand Haslem, Tyrus Thomas, and other offers we've heard aren't equal value. But like I said... it's that or NOTHING at all. You tell me what makes more sense.

• pastor88
    July 18, 2009 12:13 a.m.

Many still want to believe millys contract is fair.
    I still want Santa to bring me a new Hummer with a redhead. But believing in that and the contract is just ridiculous.
    Many better players were and still are available for less money. Most with better season long averages. Ariza, Artest and Odom are all superior. granted Odom wants 10 mil, but for 2 mil extra look at the difference in offensive and defensive abilities. Ariza and Artest both signed for less money, didn't they? What about birdman 5 mil per year and great defense, as well as some offense?

KOC simply got caught sleeping with his pants down.

Has KOC given us any real players since coming to Utah? What are his percentages? Maybe his pay should be based on performance

• JAZZFAN
    July 17, 2009 8:22 p.m.

I remamber quite a winning streak last year we had just before the allstar break and after with Milsap and how the Jazz fell apart when Boozer came back, Boozer killed the chemistry,Boozer plays defense like a 9 year old girl, I'd take Milsap anyday over Boozer, at least milsap plays hard and with alot of heart somthing the Jazz seem to Be lacking, If he can get the other players to match his intensity the jazz will be just fine, ronnie price was a great signing too remember him in the last game against the Lakers? energy and heart. give me players like that and not the premaddonas we see haow boozer was right? Milsap was an excellent sign he is more than just a player he will be a beast, just you wait

• Jazzsmack
    July 17, 2009 7:26 p.m.

And the Jazz management CONTINUE to over PAY and OVER value, the talent on their team,

and CONTINUE to give BIG CONTRACTS to role players, supporting players, complementary players at best,

leaving them no money and dependent on late first round draft choices,

to fill critical spots,

when they need the money for a star 2 guard who can shoot and handle the ball and make things happen,

or a true dominant big man that is tall, long, and can play defense.

that and lack of a system that actually USES the talents needed to win a championship,

it's no wonder they have NEVER won a championship.

• Shaybo
    July 17, 2009 6:22 p.m.

re: STEVE-O

I may be dumb but read my lips: Millsaps contract is the one that put us way over the Luxury tax Period. I'm glad your math is so good that the blame goes to the guys making 1 to 2 million per year yes this is all the fault of Fez, Price and Kuofus. Thanks for clearing that up.

I'm sorry but your idea of getting rid of an all-star for nothing to keep his backup at an inflated price doesn't set right with me.

• CJ
    July 17, 2009 4:53 p.m.

We should know what should be changed by the middle of the season. I just hope the Jazz have some flex at that point and can get what they need.

So far CJ is okay as a back up. However, his play last year was not good enough as a starter. He played good D sometimes. He shot well sometimes. He had flashes. He needs a break out year.

Millsap changes the dynamics of the Sloan system. More points have to come from the SG/SF.

Harp and his toughness is gone. Korver is not going to change much. Brewer is not likely to turn into Kobe. AK may have to back up or even play PF if Okur or Millsap get hurt.

CJ has to have a break out year. Or the Jazz need to get a real good SG/SF.

Koufos needs dramatic improvement. He will be the back up PF/C unless the Jazz get a PF/C. I think he can back up Okur. The Jazz need a decent back PF.

Koufos and Thomas's Eff40 and WP40s are very similar.

The Jazz lack depth, a go to shooter, defense and outside shooting.

• STEVE-O
    July 17, 2009 4:34 p.m.

@ Miles...

I agree with your assessment of Blair. He's playing cream puffs right now. Our boy Maynor (drafted well ahead of Blair) didn't throw up those numbers though. And he's playing the same crappy competition.
    I do think San Antonio has a nack for drafting good players though. I guess time will tell us if Blair will hold up or not?

And I didn't ever say the Jazz would be much improved from last year. I simply said they will be fine.
    I just don't go along with the people who act like the sky is falling because the Jazz still have some pretty decent players. We just gotta figure out how to dump CJ!!! 4 Million for 15 minutes a game and 3-10 shooting is not cheap.

• Well
    July 17, 2009 4:27 p.m.

looks like it's time for Millsap to really show us what he is all about, this coming season. Time to raise the bar Millsap.

• RE: HYPOCRYTE FANS / WYOMING
    July 17, 2009 3:59 p.m.

KEEPING MILSAP OVER BOOZER IS THE LESSER OF THE 2 EVILS...I THINK JAZZ FANS WANTED PAUL TO PLAY BUT I DOUBT ALOT OF THEM THOUGHT AND OR THINK HE WAS / IS THE SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM. HE HAS LIMITED OFFENSIVE SKILLS AND SAYING HE'S BETTER THAN BOOZER DEFENSIVELY IS NOT SAYING MUCH...AND HE'S SMALL...THE JAZZ GOT DESTROYED BY THE LAKERS SIZE....

AND BY THE WAY I DIDN'T SEE ALL THE NBA TEAMS KNOCKING DOWN MILSAP'S DOOR AND THROWING CONTRACTS OFFERS AT HIM...HE'S A SECOND ROUNDER THAT TURNED OUT TO BE MUCH BETTER THAN ANTICIPATED...BUT LETS NOT GET CARRIED AWAY...

AND TO WYOMING...DON'T COMPARE MILSAP TO MALONE STOCKTON....THEY GOT US TO BACK TO BACK FINALS...ONLY THE GREAT JORDAN STOPPED THEM FROM BEING CHAMPIONS SO DON'T BE REDICULOUS....

I THINK YOU GUYS ARE MISSING THE POINT ... PEOPLE LIKE MILSAP...BUT I JUST DON'T SEE HIM BEING THE FORCE THEY NEED...

• Change
    July 17, 2009 3:07 p.m.

Millsap is replacing Boozer. Koufos is replacing Millsap and Fez is replacing Collins.

On balance that may not be as bad as it could be. A lot depends on how well Koufos plays. Losing Collins is a slight positive.

I figure the Jazz need an extra 5 to 7 points from the SG/SF position to replace reduced points from the PF. However, Okur and the C position may provide a couple of those extra points.

A good PF replacement would give Koufos more time at C. He plays that better than PF.

Renting Gooden for a year may be a good move.

Getting any decent young PF would help in case of injuries. There are always injuries.

The Jazz can be a playoff team like last year. I am not sure where they get someone better than Boozer for PF in the long run. Lee looks like a good candidate but the draft may be the answer.

• Miles
    July 17, 2009 2:52 p.m.

@Steve-O: I went to the summer league games in Vegas. The players are horrible outside of Blake. Blair getting a bunch of rebounds is not surprising. The problem with Blair is will he hold up?

CJ is looking pretty cheap right now!!

It is not that the Jazz fans don't like Millsap. It's just that by keeping him, we are a bottom team in the playoffs. Should have let him walk and Boozer walk and spent the money elsewhere.

Price is not a PG.

Maynor will be useless next year.

Boozer will be traded for nothing in return expect expensive contracts.

Sorry I am failing to see how we are better. I guess CJ will have to carry the team next year.

• RE:I know I'm slow - but
    July 17, 2009 2:50 p.m.

Millsap was a "restricted" free agent which means that he is free to sign any contract he wants (free agent) but the Jazz have the right to match (restricted) any offer that he signs.

It's similar to the "player option" that Boozer exercised when he "opted in". It didn't matter that the Jazz don't want him because it was his option. In this case, after Millsap signed, it's the Jazz option. So it doesn't matter what Millsap wants at this point. If the Jazz match the offer, they have him.

• As Greedy as Millsap's
    July 17, 2009 2:37 p.m.

family. He needs the extra coin.

Millsap will be a good player. He has limitations that will prevent the Jazz from beating LA, and SA. He will do well against lesser teams.

The problem is that Jazz management, Sloan, KOC and whoever else makes the player decisions will not fix the bad defense, the road losses and the back to back problems. They insist on claiming it is good enough and one more year of the same will be magic pixie dust.

How many years have the Jazz Fan's drunk the continuity kool aid?

The Jazz are now weaker at PF. Boozer was not good enough and Millsap is weaker.

I don't care about the lux tax at this point. You have to spend if you want a ring.

The Jazz need to upgrade another position to offset the loss of Boozer. Millsap can rebound and Koufos will get some time. But the points have to be replaced.

Price will lose games as the back up PG. That is continuity over quality.

Will CJ become magic? Korver? Brewer? AK?

Where is the Boozer scoring coming from? the team defense? Depth on the road? Back to back?

Continuity.

• I know I'm slow - but
    July 17, 2009 1:28 p.m.

Did Millsap agree to stay with the Jazz? From what his "agents" said - he's rather be in Portland anyway and I get all of the Jazz matched thing - but does that also mean Paul said yes?

• Re Re. I'm Satisfied @ 5:49.
    July 17, 2009 1:27 p.m.

Milsap can't "support his family" on $750K a year?!! Gimme a break. I could support, like, 5 -7 families on that!

Brandon

• STEVE-O
    July 17, 2009 1:00 p.m.

Malik Rose never got 19 double-doubles in a row. Malike Rose also had ZERO offense. Don't compare Millsap to a clown.

• Millsap will fade away
    July 17, 2009 12:54 p.m.

This contract will be a regretfull by the Jazz. Millsap is not a starter, he is a back up like Malik Rose.
    Additionally, it looks like he wanted to REALLY play in Portland and not in Utah. Now that he is forced to remain in Utah, watch for a drop in performance.
    Jerry Sloan is ruining this franchise. This guy is a scrub's coach and will never win a championship with his retrograde philosophy and coaching.
    First round elimination is around the corner, see you in a fishing trip with Barkley, Kenny the Jet Smith and Ernie in April 2010 .

• STEVE-O
    July 17, 2009 12:50 p.m.

I just want to say that Dejuan Blair got 20 pts & 15 Rebounds for San Antonio in the summer league last night!!! We got Eric Maynor. Last I checked he didn't play all that well in our summer league. I think the Jazz passing on Blair will be a mistake similar to taking Curtis Borchart over Carlos Boozer a few years back. Sad for the Jazz!

• To the Ostriches
    July 17, 2009 12:27 p.m.

above. Millsap's contract is irritating. The Jazz got Punked by POR.

Millsap is a "good" player. With good management he could have cost 1-2 million less.

The complaining about both Boozer and Millsap is about the Jazz management. They refuse to be aggressive. They refuse to control their own destiny.

They are passive and get acted upon, while they pretend all is well. They are consistent also rans by their own choosing. Then they come up with some lame excuse like "small market" or injuries. Those are problems winners work around and plan for. Winners preempt problems or at least fix them quickly.

It is obvious to some of us that Jazz management is similar to GM management. They continue to do the same mistakes over and over while telling themselves what great managers they are.

The Jazz are weaker and cost more than last year. Is that better? The NBA is changing rapidly. That creates opportunities. Expiring contracts are great opportunities. What will the Jazz do? Get weaker and cost more in the name of continuity. All the while congratulating themselves on what great managers they are. 1/2 of the fans will drink the delusion.

• STEVE-O
    July 17, 2009 12:27 p.m.

People that say: "Millsap is really costing the Jazz $42 million because of the luxury tax".... are dumb. Millsap's contract is not the only reason the Jazz are in the tax. Williams has a new deal, Ak costs a pretty penny, and even the players only making 1-2 million are part of the luxury tax issue. So give it a rest.
    Plus the Jazz are gonna get rid of Boozer and/or other players to reduce the tax they pay.

• STEVE-O
    July 17, 2009 12:22 p.m.

I know Harpring talked about the possibility of retirement. I'd be willing to bet he'll be back for next season and THEN hang it up. Everybody just took what he said and ran with it big time.

• OrlandoJazzFan
    July 17, 2009 12:01 p.m.

Bottomline - D-Will and Sloan wanted Paul back so Paul is Back. And Millsap will continue to improve and improve. Now get Rip Hamilton to offset the loss in scoring!!! Booz and Harp offset the salary and help us with the cap problems

• Brian
    July 17, 2009 11:47 a.m.

SH@: You expect the Blazers to make a trade for Boozer now?

I'm not sure if you are ignorant or just confused. The Blazers already have LaMarcus Aldridge as a starting power forward. They are not interested in Carlos Boozer, who would need to be a starter. Neither of those guys can start at the 3 or the 5.

Portland wanted Millsap as a backup to Aldridge and a guy who can play a little at the 3 and 4, not as a starter.

If you meant that the Blazers would try to take advantage of a three way trade involving Boozer to bring a small forward or point guard to Portland, then yes, that's a possibility. But the Blazers are not in the Boozer market.

• STEVE-O
    July 17, 2009 11:42 a.m.

I think about the Jazz roster and they will be just fine.

PG: Deron Williams, Ronnie Price, Eric Maynor
    SG: Ronnie Brewer, Kyle Korver
    SF: AK, CJ Miles, Harpring (maybe)
    PF: Paul Millsap, ????? (maybe Boozer still)
    C: Memo Okur, Kosta Koufus, Fez

The Jazz are certainly not as deep that's for sure. This will force players to get some time though. We'll see once and for all if Fez or Koufus have what it takes. Maybe we'll get a bird-man-like performance out of Koufus. Last year he didn't get a legit shot... and this year Sloan will be forced to at least try it out. I'm excited to see what this team can do. The starting line-up will be just as good as any team. The bench play will probably determine how for they can go.

• re: Wyoming
    July 17, 2009 11:16 a.m.

Thank you. Very well said!

• Haters
    July 17, 2009 11:16 a.m.

This is a GOOD thing. Why must certain Jazz fans complain about everything? He is worth the money. Let him prove himself at least before you judge him. I am really surprised that Kevin O'Conner did this, but I was hoping it would happen. I am excited to laugh in all the haters faces when he gets even more than 19 straight double double's WITHOUT being injured 1/3 of the time.
    Welcome Back, MILLSAP!!!

• From Wyoming
    July 17, 2009 10:46 a.m.

Why don't you Utah fans find a reason to complain about everything? You just can't be satisfied can you. You say "No were never gonna win a championship with Milsap!" But we never won a championship with Malone and Stockton. Why don't you hate and complain about them? I don't get it? You think Milsap is a waste of money but give me ONE SINGLE PLAYER who we could sign for that kind of money? Especially one of Milsaps caliber. You forget Milsaps numbers dropped from having what 19 straight double doubles, playing well and getting benched for Boozer. How is he not worth that money? Are the days of Malone and Boozer so stuck in your head that you feel we need an All-Star PF to be good? No we still have Deron,(UNTIL YOU COMPLAINING FANS SCARE HIM OFF), Brewer, AK, Okur, Korver, Harp.(who you fans want gone for some reason). This is the same team that won 12 straight. Give this team a chance. Grow up and stop complaining about every single thing KOC does. If you don't like it, go root for someone else. Easy as that.

• Re: Hypocryte fans
    July 17, 2009 10:43 a.m.

You are so right. I can't believe how fast these pansies spin on a dime. Paul's not championship material? Anybody ever consider how he is still improving and will do so for at least three more years? His upper end potential is 21 and 12. That's better than Boozer ever did and he is a better defender. You people need to smoke less crack. GOOD JOB JAZZ!! GOOD JOB MILLY ON WORKING HARD AND MAKING SOME DOUGH!!

• Hypocryte fans
    July 17, 2009 10:31 a.m.

I can't believe all the nonsense I'm reading here! For so long it seems like the majority of fans (myself included) have always preferred Millsap over Loozer (cough...I mean Boozer) and have begged for the front office to keep Paul and trade Carlos. Now that this seems to likely be happening soon, you blast Millsap and the front office? SHAME ON YOU!! You people are worse than the bandwaggoning, botox injected Laker fans in so-cal.

• PORs Game
    July 17, 2009 10:30 a.m.

POR counted on Utah matching Millsap's offer. They really did not need Millsap. They need a PG and they know they can get exactly who they want by being patient.

They also knew they could get Utah to pay extra for Millsap. So why not?

However, the real pay off for them comes in the next 4 years. They know that Utah is so predictable that after Utah pays the sunk bonus costs that Utah will insist on starting Millsap for 4 years. They have limited a rival by using the predictable personality weakness of the rival.

This is a priceless move by POR. Utah can be GAMED into constant mediocrity. It cost POR nothing to insure that they are seeded above Utah for 4 years.

How does it feel to be had? Utah is only a loser because they insist on doing things that lose. Then they delude themselves into doing again and again claiming that next year will be better.

Without Boozer and without making upgrades in talent the Jazz are weaker and will stay weaker. They will continue to cost more. Brewer will need more money. Korver will get resigned.

Who will mug them next?

• Sneaky Jimmy
    July 17, 2009 10:13 a.m.

Glad I'm being educated. So these days the starting 5 try to not get too far behind and the bench comes in and wins games for you? Is that how LA, Boston and Cleavland do it? Must be.

• SA
    July 17, 2009 10:10 a.m.

Players know if they do not produce at SA they will be gone in a year or less. They do their best. SA has a winning culture.

Utah is a rest home for Vets. The management is soft. All you have to do is work and not tick off Sloan. You don't have to play defense. You just have to put in your time and make the playoffs. As one writer at the Trib said, Millsap now has "tenure". Utah does not have a winning culture, they have a working culture. It is a job not a mission.

Utah is a loser and always will be a loser until the management philosophies are changed. Duncan will go but the philosophies will stay. SA will rise again after Duncan. They will find a way to beat Utah.

Utah is so predictable in every thing that they do that other teams can GAME much of their on court and management behavior. POR knew they could "force" Utah to pay. I am sure they enjoyed the game. Like Microsoft messing with a rival.

Utah is acted upon. Other teams act and create their future.

Opportunity knocks, Utah runs away.

• Anonymous
    July 17, 2009 10:04 a.m.

RE: Too Bad!!
    YOU HIT THE NAIL RIGHT ON THE HEAD...THE JAZZ HAVE NOW STRAPPED THEMSELVES FOR YEARS AND GUARANTEED MEDIOCRE SEASONS. 6 - 8 SEED IN THE WEST AT BEST...

THE JAZZ SHOULD HAVE TAKEN THEIR LUMPS THIS YEAR AND RESTOCK NEXT SUMMER...NY'S PICK AND THEIR OWN..PLUS FREE AGENTS...

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME WE GOT A GREAT PLAYER.....IT WAS WHEN WE HAD A BAD SEASON AND THEN GOT DWILL IN THE DRAFT.

• B-Man
    July 17, 2009 9:56 a.m.

No way millsap is worth this kind of money we should have just let Portland take him. We better get someone good for Booz.

• Consistently
    July 17, 2009 9:55 a.m.

LA has consistently out spent the Jazz. SA has consistently out managed the Jazz. Those are the two arch rivals.

The Jazz can wait for the curse of Artest to implode LA. Everywhere he goes the team blow up (often it is not his fault).

SA is a different matter. The problem lies with Utah. They are not proactive. They are slow and reactive to both changes in the environment and competitor moves. They are a sitting duck.

They knew there were going to lose Boozer and have to pay Millsap. They could and should have moved up in the second round for cheap insurance and got Blair. He is better than Millsap. Even if he gets hurt his presence on the roster would have brought the price of Millsap down.

SA only pays the max for Duncan. It takes a whole team to win. However, SA gets great role players for cheap. SA is not a better NBA city than SL both are small market. However, their management philosophies are very different. They consistently change for the better. If it is not working it gets changed.

Players want to go to SA because they are a winner.

• Fan Favorite
    July 17, 2009 9:49 a.m.

Ben Wallace has never contributed much to anybody after leaving the Pistons but he was huge in Detroit because he worked so hard and won "fan favorite" status. He is not much bigger than Millsap, had much worse offense, and played center-- not power forward.

Despite popular belief, heart does matter in basketball.

• Why
    July 17, 2009 9:45 a.m.

would the Jazz consider doing anything with Portland. Do you want to make a division rival better? I would say, whatever Jazz get for Boozer, don't let Portland get anything in the deal.

• snake
    July 17, 2009 9:44 a.m.

The net production numbers are deceptive. The Jazz defensive problems start with Boozer. Not only can he not defend anyone, he actually sets screens on DWill on every pick and roll, creating open shots for the other point guard. Boozer's cluelessness on defense often results in someone else's man scoring, not necessarily his own.

AK is definitely overpaid. Koufus will be a nice surprise. Good shooting touch and a decent defender. Millsap will earn his salary. Brewer keeps improving. Price will win games on hustle. It's infectious. Knight was ineffective. Jazz will be about a #7 team this year, unless injuries take a few teams out of contention.

You fans who want a blockbuster trade for Boozer will be disappointed. Not going to happen. Just be glad if we can get rid of the Mercenary and his bloated salary.

• Miles
    July 17, 2009 9:35 a.m.

Boozer, meanwhile, decided not to opt out this season, wanting to collect the money he could in a limited buyer's market, supposedly in pursuit of the big money available next year in the Free Agency Summer of Doom 2010. But Boozer isn't even in the top two tiers of next year's class, and after his history of injuries, his lack of physical play, and the ugliness surrounding his situation in Utah, you have to wonder who's going to come calling the Jazz as quoted from another site.

• Great!!!
    July 17, 2009 9:35 a.m.

Now, just think about this:
    Make Milsap the starter and Booz the back-up.
    Do this and the starting five can hold up to just about anyone, but we make our runs when the bench comes in.
    If you bring Boozer of the bench with AK, no one can beat that second team from the bench. This is where leads are built and games are won these days.

• Tommyk
    July 17, 2009 9:07 a.m.

I don't know why people are still happy with this news? So what we decide to sign Millsap? we had him last year and we still didn't go nowhere in the playoffs? we have the same squad from last year, but are now paying more money for them LOL we still need a trade regardless if it was for boozer or Millsap? either must go

• Hurts
    July 17, 2009 9:05 a.m.

The Millsap signing hurts utah because the Jazz will predictably "sing" the devious "continuity" lie. Sloan will insist on starting Millsap for 4 years. He will get better but never get great enough to win a championship without major moves at other positions.

The Jazz will "refuse" as usual to go get the talent at PF or other positions to get a championship. With the player salaries dropping the Jazz are fully capable of getting the talent. It is not a money issue. It is the lie of "continuity" that will hold the Jazz back.

Since the Jazz home revenues hold up well, they do not act like a small market team financially. In a cheap labor market they can compete better than other small market teams.

If the Jazz would seize the right deal for the right PF, and get the defenders and outside shooters to put flexibility into the offense, over 2 years there would be hope.

Instead, what they will do is make as few changes as possible.

The problem is the Sloan Philosophies. They make the playoffs but prevent going deep. Sloan is so predictable teams can GAME his rotations and player salaries (POR).

• RE: john wicks
    July 17, 2009 9:01 a.m.

REALLY?????????

• The Millsap contract
    July 17, 2009 8:48 a.m.

is not an albatross unless the Jazz act like they usually do. That is the problem. Sloan is running the team and the corporate philosophy is so predictable POR and just about everyone else in the world can take advantage of the predictability.

The Jazz can get under the Lux tax with Boozer and Harp and still spend about 7 mill on new players. The Millsap contract hurts very little if they do that. They have the "investment" of the bonus, but the bonus is pro rated over the life of the contract or cap purposes. It has little effect on cap.

I doubt if they can get a contender this year by spending 7 million on players. However, with some astute management they may be able to revamp the team in the this year and next.

Brewer will need to be signed in the future. Korver wants to resign. The Jazz need the PF of the future. They need a SG/SF who can shoot and defend. They need to get better defense.

They can use the 7 mill and the Korver contract to rework this year. Or they can get young promising cheap players and keep trying.

• Re:Re: Todd from Santa Ana
    July 17, 2009 8:42 a.m.

Actually, signing Rip saves the Jazz 2.8 million dollars, not 1.4, because the money is doubled in luxury tax savings. I don't think Detroit is a willing trade partner.

• watch and learn
    July 17, 2009 8:30 a.m.

Millsap contract will look really sweet in 2 years so we need to bite the bullet for now.

Need to trade Boozer to a team that lacks offense. Houston fits that bill. They have lost 3 significant offensive weapons.

Our team needs to shore up the Brewer situation. He cannot shoot outside the key. Our shooting coach (Hornacek) has been an abysmal failure. Korver is also really weak in pressure situations.

These few trades can make our team much more of a contender.

• Terd
    July 17, 2009 8:13 a.m.

Millsap's rep is a terd! He just sounds like he's a drama queen. Utah played this the smart way like any other team would have...you don't just throw money at a player without knowing the market first, especially in this market. I hope his attitude doesn't rub off on Paul.

• Dallas
    July 17, 2009 8:08 a.m.

Millsap, welcome to the world of high expectations. You better improve or this could be your last 4 years in the NBA. With your agent popping off like he did, and with you basically giving one of your five fingers to the Jazz by allowing the Jail-Blazers to play a game similar to scenes in the movie Deliverance. I think Millsap has quickly gone from fan favorite to do something more or else.

Bad move by the Jazz, I would have rather gone into the lottery next season without Millsap than with him.

• PurplePeopleEater
    July 17, 2009 8:07 a.m.

Cracks me up how people can talk about a player being worth only 6 mil vs. 9 mil. NO player is worth more than even 1 mil! It's a friggin' GAME, people!

Athlete salaries are a sign of a misguided society. There are many things more important than athletics. Sure, donations and charities benefit, but not as much as those total salaries might suggest should happen.

Still, glad to see Millsap is retained. Don't care if Boozer is or not, except his durability is a liability.

May the injury Gods be kind to the Jazz this year!

• skippy i agree
    July 17, 2009 8:06 a.m.

Boozer will play like a beast this year in order to get another fat contract. So keep him for now till a solid trade comes around later in the season.

As annoying as it might be to have him around he will play hard for his next contract. And Carlos plays hard the Jazz win and that's just what he wants to be able to say to any possible suitors.

• John Wicks
    July 17, 2009 8:01 a.m.

Another dumb move by the Jazz. It's time for KOC to be fired. Move Sloan to a VP position, make Stockton the new GM and hire horny as the coach. This is something the fans have wanted for a long time.

• Skippy
    July 17, 2009 7:34 a.m.

Boozer's value will be much higher when teams are looking to compete for the play-offs. Keep him until then at least.

• zorro
    July 17, 2009 6:25 a.m.

The Jazz are the Jazz and always will be. KOC has drafed some questionable players, but I suspect he had help with Jerry in the background. After all this is Jerry's team and I'm sure he has had a lot of say as to what happens. But we never here that.
    Just for the record there isn't a NBA player out there that is worth the type of money they throw around. There are a lot of people in this world that have real jobs, and make a bigger long term impact on society than any of the NBA elite. So let the Jazz have there fun. Fans can't change anything. Everyone enjoy your weekend.

• RE MK - MK
    July 17, 2009 5:35 a.m.

Boozer plays nervous?...LMAO! Are you kidding me?

He gets paid a ton of $$$... maybe he could see someone about it? LOL...I think you'll find Jazz fans are no different than any other fan base...

Your reply has nothing to do with my original post of people spouting off about trades...we will get nothing of value.

• Anonymous
    July 17, 2009 2:11 a.m.

So we are supposed to be happy that we have a cheaper but inferior team "for the foreseeable future"? I'm not on board with this one.

• No T-Mac !!!!
    July 17, 2009 1:25 a.m.

If the Jazz traded for T-Mac then count on the team not making it out of the 1st round of the playoffs or not making the playoffs all together.

• Pastor88
    July 17, 2009 1:07 a.m.

32 diveded by four is still 8.0 mil per year.
    add the luxury tax and oh my.
    How many higher profile players have taken less?
    What is Artests contract? Ariza?
    Portland wins round 1. they got exactly what they wanted. They put one of their competitors in a huge hole.
    Hope KOC has a backhoe!

• Miles
    July 17, 2009 12:58 a.m.

Not impressed with Kevin's ability to build a winner.

• Pator88
    July 17, 2009 12:49 a.m.

Many want to discount the signing bonus after it is paid. Bottom line is it is included. so changing numbers to make it look better doesnt help.You add in the luxury tax @ dollar per dollar and this is a huge impact and if nothing is done that also needs to be included on Milsaps contract. Better players are taking less than MLE.Milsaps contract could cost as much as 15-20 million when you add the luxury tax.KOC lacks initiative to get the right personnel at the right price. I thought this was a business. Why are they letting players decide who comes and who goes. Plenty of players with like or better upside for half the price.

• Too Bad!
    July 16, 2009 11:50 p.m.

Portland wanted to stick it to the predictable Jazz with no intention of actually getting or playing Millsap and the Jazz fell for it. Too bad we could not of had the guts to stick Portland with that inflated contract in a decreasing salary cap market!

Think about it, Kobey, Gasol, Odom & Bynum vs Williams, Okur, Millsap and Korver. NO COMPARISON! The Jazz have strapped themselves for years and guaranteed mediocre seasons. I could have lived with 1 down year and tested the fee agent market of 2010 for a hope at building a Western Finals contender but the Jazz could not see the big picture! Oh well, 6-8 seed here we come,(for years to come) YIPEE!

• Harp is non guaranteed
    July 16, 2009 11:44 p.m.

His full 6.5 does not count.

The Jazz have to decide if they want to contend. They can get under the lux tax and make the playoffs or they can go get the players they need to improve the defense, the road wins and the back to backs.

They really need a good young back up PF for insurance. Okur and AK are going to have minor injuries. What if Millsap gets hurt? He is not the PF of the future anyway. That needs to be fixed this year or next.

CJ needs to step up, or Korver needs to be traded for a shooter who can defend (or both traded).

The Jazz have 13 players now but without Boozer and Harp they will have to add back.

The Jazz are fully capable of stealing a young promising SG/SF who can shoot and defend and the PF of the future in the fire sales of Feb or in FA next year.

How are the Euro projects doing? Is one of them ready?

The Jazz are in better long run shape than thought. They are only overpaying Millsap 1.5 million.

Go get the talent at PF/SG.

• jumpinjax
    July 16, 2009 11:27 p.m.

You must be thinking of the rip from 2 years ago because as of right now Brewer is a much better player

• Reality Check
    July 16, 2009 11:21 p.m.

The Jazz are at 81 Million in salary (includes Millsap). However, they played most of last year without Boozer (12.7 million) and Harp (6.5 million). They made the playoffs and would have had the 6th seed if Boozer had not come back.

Millsap counts 7.7 million against the cap this year.

The Jazz will have

PF Millsap/AK/Koufos
    C Okur/Koufos/Fez
    SF AK/CJ
    SG Brewer/KK
    PG DWill/Price/Maynor

KK/CJ/Brewer can rotate among SG/SF as needed.

The weakest links are Price and CJ. This is not an ideal team but it is a playoff team.

The Jazz have 19+ million in Boozer/Harp to fix the salary cap and get some better players.

The Jazz could go and get two 2nd/3rd year players at PF and SG/SF who can shoot and defend for reasonable and still get rid of much of the salary problem.

Or they could get a good vet at SG/SF. They could rent a Vet PF for this year. I would like for them to get the PF of the future during the next year or two. Someone who is younger and reasonable.

• Miles
    July 16, 2009 11:20 p.m.

If Millsap is so good, why are trying to trade Boozer for another PF? Wouldn't it make more sense to trade Boozer for a shooter?

• Re: Todd from Santa Ana
    July 16, 2009 11:08 p.m.

Actually, Harpring has already told the local media that he's considering retirement and would retire before the trade deadline to save the Jazz from having all of his salary on the books for the year. Boozer to Detroit for Rip saves $1.4 million. Harpring leaving before February saves $3 million (he'd still get $3 million). The Jazz get a kickback of $6 million from the players this month because of the collective bargaining agreement. There's your $10.4 million to cover Millsap for the year. The trade for Hamilton makes perfect sense from a competitiveness standpoint and leaves the Jazz only a few million over the cap if they can convince Harpring to retire.

• jumpinjax
    July 16, 2009 10:57 p.m.

Really guys Rip Hamilton? Do we really need another huge contract while we are trying to dump some? Why is everyone so down on brewer anyway so he doesnt shoot threes, we have Korver,Williams and Okur for that last time i looked.

• Just Me
    July 16, 2009 10:46 p.m.

Yikes! Overpaid! This isnt going to be good news for the future. We will always be an 8th seed until they make better changes.

• Anonymous
    July 16, 2009 10:43 p.m.

hm too bad for Jazz. Portland did good job bluffing. Paul isn't worth that much.

• I'm All For
    July 16, 2009 10:35 p.m.

Bogut for Boozer. Great idea!

• akk
    July 16, 2009 10:28 p.m.

I like Milsap but this pretty much gaurantees us not getting any better. We needed to upgrade the 2 and add some legnth in the front court. Can't do it now... too bad. If we help Portland get Hinrich for just Thomas I will puke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• todd from santa ana
    July 16, 2009 10:27 p.m.

If the Jazz take on Hamilton's contract, they woill putting themselves over the luxury tax for the next two years if they keep AK. The only way for this deal to work is to trade harpring and booz for hamilton, then harpring to Memphis for it to work with the Jazz giving up a 2nd rounder and cash considerations.

• Boozer for Bogut
    July 16, 2009 10:24 p.m.

I'm a BYU fan... but a BIG fan of Bogut. Sure he was banged up last year... BUT...He can pass, rebound, defend, and has the length to defend Gasol, Duncan, Howard ect. He would also probably enjoy a return to his college stomping grounds.

Not sure that the Bucks would do it... But if they are concerned about his back spasms of last year they might want to cut bait. We would have to be concerned as well... But if healthy at least he give us a fighting chance!

• jwh
    July 16, 2009 10:09 p.m.

Great Job Jazz Management. With the season ending the way it did for the jazz, it was evident that their were team problems (likely Boozer) that caused the 8 of 10 game loss at the end of the season. Team chemistry was not good. It was evident that Boozer was not a team player when he insisted he was a starter. Great to be confident, but with his injury and eventual come back, the team was made stronger for a while until his selfish attitude destroyed the team. Now Milsap can shine. His work ethic will make better than boozer when all is said and done. With the development of the younger talent and hopefully adding a few leadership quality veterans, they will compete just fine. I think the Jazz are getting off pretty cheap with Milsap's contract. No comparison to AK's. Go Jazz, they will be funner to watch now.

• Don't help Portland ...
    July 16, 2009 10:05 p.m.

by including them in a 3-way trade! I agree Boozer for Rip is the best deal.

• jumpinjax
    July 16, 2009 10:02 p.m.

Hey real question,I have to respectfully disagree but Price is the perfect backup and if I recall almost won game 5 for us, along with Millsap that is.I do agree about millsap not being able to guard taller pfs. Hopefully they can have Krilenko do some of that, you know he was an allstar at pf before boozer came. Brewer is the answer at sg. I dont have any faith in the jazz doing the right things either but there future relies on finding some young high draft talent that comes cheap for Ak and Booz we both agree there

• JazzHater72
    July 16, 2009 10:02 p.m.

Mark Eaton, Greg Ostertag, Carlo Boozer, Etc......What a dumb Move!!!!!

• Heath
    July 16, 2009 10:02 p.m.

Mixed feelings here.

First--stop dogging the Jazz management. They have given us competitive teams year after year and they will continue to do so.

I agree with listening to Derron Williams. He is our franchise and our future. He is also a smart player who knows how to win. If he wants to keep Milsap, I do.

Yes it is scary to pay that much for Milsap, but I do believe he can be great. I am still crossing my fingers for Boozer to the Pistons for Hamilton.

• Shaybo
    July 16, 2009 9:59 p.m.

I told you so, people out there are not smart enough to add $10 mil + $10 mil luxury tax = $20 mil = $42 mil for the contract. Trading away a better player than Millsap for nothing to ease the Luxury Tax doesn't make things better.

• everyone
    July 16, 2009 9:59 p.m.

get rid of boozer quick, before he is hurt again!

• Stackhouse anyone???
    July 16, 2009 9:56 p.m.

If we can get a team to take Miles in with the Boozer trade, what do you think of going after Stack? He'd be cheap, a veteran in the locker room, and a real shooter.

• J-Slade
    July 16, 2009 9:51 p.m.

This won't make the Jazz contenders this year (probably borderline playoff team), but hopefully it positions the Jazz to move up into serious contention in the next 2 or 3 years. With our without a healthy Boozer, the Jazz were still missing a strong wing scorer/defender and a strong low-post defensive presence. Those needs don't change in this resigning. Hopefully we see Koufos blossom to take care of at least one of those needs.

• OrlandoJazzFan
    July 16, 2009 9:41 p.m.

KOC - Two words - Rip Hamilton

• Who is the go to guy
    July 16, 2009 9:37 p.m.

now? Not Millsap. The team defense has to be upgraded. That includes the exterior defense.

CJ needs to attack the rim, rebound and play more like AK only with a better outside shot. He is a real weakness at this point. He has to improve or he needs to be traded.

Korver is not going to get much better. He needs his own special plays. That is a serious coaching problem. Brewer needs to improve his shot.

The team is a lot more dependent on Okur now. He does not match up well with 1/2 of the Cs. Koufos or maybe Fez have to step up. Or Boozer needs to be traded for a very good PF/C and a shooting SG preferably young cheap talent the Jazz can afford to hang onto. Forget the salary problems. Pay to get a shot at a ring.

Maybe POR goes after Odom now. That will not help them much but will hurt LA a lot.

Forget continuity that is PR. Make the moves to get the talent to fix the problems. Continuity is gone now. It will never be the same team as before and will not function like it did.

• Big Tommy
    July 16, 2009 9:35 p.m.

Why would the Jazz pass on a proven high performer like Blair and take a high level unproven player in their first round pick. I like maynor, but Blair would have been an outstanding pick up even if he only can give you 20 minutes a night due to bad knees. I still can't believe the Jazz did not buy into the 2nd round and make the steal of the draft.

• Harry Carey
    July 16, 2009 9:32 p.m.

The trade I like for Boozer is Hinrich and Jerome James for Boozer and Miles. The Jazz then ship James to Memphis for a future 2nd round pick and cash considerations.

• The real question is
    July 16, 2009 9:28 p.m.

not the Millsap signing, it is whether the Jazz are willing to upgrade the roster into a contender inspite of being in the lux tax.

The NBA has shifted. If you want to contend you pay the lux tax. Will Utah get the talent it needs or will we hear more continuity nonsense?

Boozer insures that there will be no real continuity. Will the Jazz get talent or cost cutting out of the Boozer trade?

Playing Millsap at PF changes the dynamics of the other positions. He is too short. He can't run the pick and roll (unless he learns fast the Jazz are hurt badly), he can't defend tall athletic PFs (neither could Boozer). Millsap will not open up the floor like Boozer.

The Jazz sorely need a SG who can shoot and create his own shot. They need a much stronger contribution from SF especially if AK has to play back up PF.

Price will lose games as the back up PG. Let's hope Maynor is a fast learner and Sloan is smarter than most of us think.

Sloan/Johnson are going to have to customize the system to Millsap. That has limitations.

• jumpinjax!!!!!!!
    July 16, 2009 9:23 p.m.

Brains People please!!!!!! If you look at his contract not the signing bonus Millsap is only making the mid-level exception basicly, and if the jazz would of been smart enough to offer him a deal first they probably wouldnt have to pay the signing bonus in the first place! A bunch of you are trying to say Millsaps contributions arent even worth mid-level exception money, (WOW). To bad they didnt draft the robounding machine known as Dejuan Blair to back him up.We really needed a third-string pg lol.

• basketball legend
    July 16, 2009 9:09 p.m.

take Hinrich. That's a good deal for Boozer.

• Koufos
    July 16, 2009 9:06 p.m.

Your time has come. Study Boozer's moves, particularly his quick first step and his left hand moves. You almost always go to your right and are way to predictable. That makes you easy to defend. Work on your jumper. It needs more arch. It is to easy to block.

The Jazz will need more playing time out of you at both C and PF. Okur is going to have some injury nights. Boozer will not be there to play C and Millsap is too short to play C most of the time. Millsap may also have a few injury nights at PF.

You need to pull a Brewer and really come thru early.

• Anonymous
    July 16, 2009 9:00 p.m.

what about the following trades for boozer.

Joe Johnson from ATL
    Prince and Hamilton for Boozer, Harpring and Miles

• re Camron
    July 16, 2009 8:35 p.m.

Do you really believe Tracy will teach somebody? He is one of really bad selfish person. he';s team never been winning team. With AK any team will win but Jazz with jerry.

• Anonymous
    July 16, 2009 8:29 p.m.

Milsap's agents are a bunch of knuckleheads. The only dissapointment from the resigning of Paul that I have is those two agents will somehow get paid.

• Fernando Arias
    July 16, 2009 8:07 p.m.

Once again, we see bad journalism in action in the report that it was suggested Millsap would rather not play in Utah.

Since when have the declarations of agents trying (more or less poorly) to represent their client to be taken at face value.

Does anyone really think Paul Millsap is so stupid he thinks the Jazz should have negotiated with themselves instead of letting the process play out?

Does anyone really think Milsap is not fully aware of how well the Jazz have done for him and how unlikely it would have been for him to progress this much with any other team?

This article descended into the usual "nobody likes Utah" paranoid nonsense and that's a complete shame.

But then again so is bad journalism.

• todd from santa ana
    July 16, 2009 8:00 p.m.

Now we can trade Booz for Haslam and Kiri for McGrady. Lets experiment like the 95 Champion Rockets

• Cowboy Joe is right
    July 16, 2009 7:46 p.m.

Cowboy Joe said it right. We do take a hit this year but the following years Millsap is a good bet to be a great value at under $7m/year. Agree we need to move Boozer but I am not so sure this is such a bad way to go...and I would bet the Jazz brass are thinking the same.

• Cam'ron
    July 16, 2009 7:39 p.m.

We all knew this was coming so don't act shocked. Now we need to work out a deal for Booz and bring in Tyrus Thomas. That will be a solid backup of Millsaps and then we can move AK cause Thomas plays the exact same way. I'd even trade AK for Mcgrady and then we can make a move in 2010. T Mac can help CJ and Ronnie also and teach them the scoring ways and we will be solid. Tyrus Thomas also came up big and showed a lot in the playoffs against Boston and if hornacek works with him more often i think he could produce a solid jump shot and be great.

• @Chips n' Salsa
    July 16, 2009 7:27 p.m.

I've heard the same rumor. I'd rather do a sign and trade with the Knicks for David Lee if the price is right. We might also have to take back Eddy Curry.

I won't be surprised if there's a three-team trade lurking around the corner. Portland and Memphis could help us shed some salary.

I don't know? Wait and see I guess.

• Dick of the NW
    July 16, 2009 7:27 p.m.

Here are the numbers: 32mil total - up front bonus -5.6 = 26.4 divided by 4 = an average of 6.6 mil over 4 years.
    The ave. contract is within what is being signed around the league; not the lowest but not the highest. Now to get a good player back for boozer. Looks like a fun Summer to watch all the moves around the league. GO JAZZ!

• Chips n' Salsa
    July 16, 2009 7:16 p.m.

I've heard the rumor for the Jazz-Heat trade is Boozer for Udonis Haslem and James Jones and then we will trade C.J. Miles later this summer (when his restriction is lifted) for the Heat's two Trade Exceptions, thus saving us some money.

It's not the best, but ya'll think?

• Mike
    July 16, 2009 7:16 p.m.

Hey Jazz fans Why don't we keep Boozer until after our December swoon when we need him in the on that long eastern road trip.

He will have to put up all star numbers as he knows he had no time left on the IR.

Then find some team stretching to get in the playoffs (New York) and drop Boozer and his contract on them. (He will be out with a hang nail within the first five games after the trade)

This will also help us with next years lottery pick because when Boozer lands in New York they will go on the longest loosing streak and not win another game for the rest of the season.

Get David Lee in return and leave New York with the Loozer's contract.

Millsap will be with us rested and ready for the reat of the season.

• annonymous
    July 16, 2009 7:15 p.m.

how long will it take for the jazz to pull off a carlos boozer trade i hope it is soon we need to get rid of him so millsap can start and get a back up

go millsap congrads you got what you deserve

• goutes
    July 16, 2009 7:15 p.m.

now go get hinrich, salmons, and tyrus thomas for boozer, miles and korver and maybe 1st rounder. what are your thoughts on this trade. we need defense and shooters which we would get in this trade and would get rid of boozer. i say some how we try to offer odom 5 yr 50-55 mil just what he wants and maybe he'll accept it. or i say we trade boozer and ak for a bunch of draft picks so we get young talent along with the knicks lotto pick. any other suggestions in where we get cap releif, shooters and defense so we can stretch the d for milly inside for years to come??

• BeauDak
    July 16, 2009 7:13 p.m.

I am glad that the Jazz matched Portland's offer. I don't think the Jazz overpaid Millsap at all. Financially, he will hurt us next year.

As far as Boozer. The trade to get him out of town most likely will be based on finances, because of Millsap's bonus. I am fine with that, I just hope we get a young player, expiring contract and a draft pick or two.

I wouldn't be surprised if Miami landed him, because the Heat need Booz more than any other team (They want to resign D-Wade). I just hope we do get a Memphis or Portland involved with some young players coming here to SLC...I am not thrilled by Haslem and James Jones.

I guess, we'll have to wait and see!

• Joe Cool
    July 16, 2009 7:08 p.m.

Great news. I know all NBA players are over paid but Millsap is a big step away from sore hammy boozer. Now all they must do is get rid of Boozer for a suitable backup to Millsap.

• Same situation as AK?
    July 16, 2009 7:07 p.m.

I love hearing people comparing Millsap's offer to AK's contract. Millsap won't ever be earning 16 million in one season. This contract will not hurt the Jazz in future years like AK's has. Like several have already said after the signing bonus, this contract is just under 7 million a year. The contract is front loaded not back loaded. I would much rather have Millsap's heart and skill for 7 million than Boozer's skill and injuries for 13.

• MK
    July 16, 2009 7:06 p.m.

Ugh You are right about CJ Miles....UGGHHH!

• Re: MK
    July 16, 2009 7:05 p.m.

That's also why you're not GM, either. Teams saw how he did in the playoffs. He averaged 23/13. I don't recall him being injured in Cleveland, do you? Sometimes being under constant scrutiny makes you nervous, right? When you play nervous or tense then you do things that you don't normally do. If Boozer goes to a new team then there will be much less pressure.

We Jazz fans are pretty hard on players. Cavs fans have been really hard on him as well. I'm not sure how he'll ever fix that, unless he somehow goes back to the Cavs and they go on to win a title. ;-)

• King Black
    July 16, 2009 7:03 p.m.

Gosh dang it people how many times do they gotta say its 32 million over 4 years whith 10 up front meaning the rest will add up to just about around to 6.5 to 7 million a year

• re:it's time
    July 16, 2009 6:59 p.m.

If Paul Millsap is one of the 2 or 3 best players on the Jazz starting 5 than we will NEVER be a contender....but we will be just fine.....not great or really good..but just fine...another overpriced second round draft pick..

• Too Much!
    July 16, 2009 6:58 p.m.

Another match to a bad contract. How is that CJ investment paying off? Just hope we get a little more value out of this one.

• Millsap and wings
    July 16, 2009 6:57 p.m.

If anything, this shows that the Jazz are valuing toughness and effort over scoring talent. Millsap will get better, no question. The question remains, can he still score when he's being double-teamed all the time? He'll need to also improve his ball handling and passing.

On another note, the Jazz have way too many wings. They need to include some in any trade that involves Boozer or at least trade them separately for cap relief/draft pick(s).

• MK
    July 16, 2009 6:45 p.m.

This is why most of you posters on here aren't GMs

Boozer is a FREE AGENT next year...We have him for 1 year at 12.7M....We will NOT get ANYTHING for him of comparable value as he will BE a FREE AGENT NEXT YEAR. The best we could hope for is some salary cap/lux tax relief this year..

What team will give up anything for him? He has a history of injuries..and this JUST IN..he will be a FREE AGENT next year. So for all you aspiring GMs..who think we can trade him for something of value..it won't happen.

Millsap proves that he is worth the contract....Boozer isn't

• It's Time
    July 16, 2009 6:44 p.m.

To quit whinning and welcome Paul back. Get behind him and show him how we respected what he did last year. He'll be fine and worth it in the future. Nothing wrong with having "good Guy's" on the team.

Move Boozer and move on!

• Net PER per position
    July 16, 2009 6:41 p.m.

PER is a single number rating developed by Hollinger. The Jazz PER numbers for each positions are:

PG 1.6
    SG -0.6
    SF 1.6
    PF 3.6
    C 0.4

Total PER = 6.6

Compared with LA

PG -0.1
    SG 8.6
    SF 0.9
    PF -0.1
    C 3.7
    Total PER = 12.1

The Jazz need improvement at SG, C and back up PG. Back up SF would also help. They will need the best PF and back PG they can get as those 2 positions are most important. They need better team D.

In the triangle PG is not very important. Kobe and Gasol carry the team. No surprise.

The Jazz have a long way to go in total PER if they want a championship.

The Magic PER was 7.5. BOS was 19.7 (with Garnett). DEN was 9.7. DAL was 7.9

This number is probably better at indicating which positions are weakest and strongest for each team. However, total PER by team is an interesting idea.

• Gracefl
    July 16, 2009 6:33 p.m.

Best news I've had in days. Paul earns his keep!

• Sloanfan
    July 16, 2009 6:32 p.m.

Just better hope Sloan puts down the bottle long enough to come up with a better plan than throwing the ball to the PF 30+ times. There's a real possibility that we'll see Millsap turn into a low 20&10 guy while the rest of the team rots watching Deron & Paul play 2 on 5.

Also, please compare the projected starting lineup of the Jazz next season (minus Boozer) to the best teams in the West. You'll find they are about #8. Jazz are playing it safe, now it's time to spin things and string the fans along for yet another mediocre season. Let's pull our socks and undersized shorts up - a new Jazz season is on the way!

• Please no Haslem!
    July 16, 2009 6:29 p.m.

For the love of the Jazz and everything like them that is holy, please don't trade with Miami for Udonis Haslem. Who wants an offensive stiff at the most important scoring position in Sloan's offense? Why would you shoot yourself in the foot like that? Please find a shooter to open things up for Millsap and help him become the focus of the offense.

• annonymous
    July 16, 2009 6:26 p.m.

what is the latest on the boozer trade front

• Re Re. I'm Satisfied @ 5:49.
    July 16, 2009 6:25 p.m.

Where I went to school 3/4 mil is $750,000 maybe you was taught differently. Anyway it's not that important but I think most got the message.

• ed in az
    July 16, 2009 6:16 p.m.

OK...KOC... Now find us a trade that doesn't net us Udonis ! Good job... I hope !

• keep Millsap
    July 16, 2009 6:12 p.m.

the Jazz will keep Millsap, then trade Boozer, at last the team can move on forward, and not backward, can't wait to see them opening the new season with new guys coming, I'm excited for them

• Millsap is not the PF of the
    July 16, 2009 6:12 p.m.

future. The big problem is not Millsap. It is Sloan. He will start Millsap for 4 years. The Jazz need a better PF for a starter. Millsap is probably over paid about 1 to 2 Million a year. That is not a big problem if the Jazz will spend to upgrade the back up PF, SF and SG positions. If Millsap prevents the Jazz from up grading the team then this is a mistake.

If you look around there were not many PFs better than Millsap that the Jazz could get right now. Lee might be better but he is more money.

Millsap will improve. Koufos will be better. However, with Millsap at PF the Jazz have to have more scoring and D from Korver/CJ and from the SG position. They have to have a very good back up PF.

If the Jazz will upgrade they might contend. Sloan's rigid rotations, lack of D, bad road performance and poor outside shooting are still problems.

Get some defense and shooting. Hope Millsap and Koufos come thru.

The Jazz have to decide if they are contenders or pretenders. Contenders spend and fix thier problems. So far the Jazz spend.

• I know the NBA is
    July 16, 2009 6:10 p.m.

just a business/entertainment entity but what's up? All these prima donas are overpaid. They all need to be paid $1...then the rest of the contract is built around incentives...including actually playing for the money. Hey the stock market is down over 40% still...including the rebound. Realistically their should be a significant drop in entertainment dollars....look at the movie box office.....etc., etc., etc. Come on David Stern...get your act together and spearhead a new player agreement and get this NBA bact to reality. Look around at the arenas and see all the empty seats masquerading as fans. The Portland Tailchasers/Blazers is a joke attempting to shaft/extort the Jazz with a crapola contract proposal like they did. The Jazz owe them a season sweep to punish them for their outrageous behavior. Let Carlos go to the Heat and his salary off the table. Bye, bye Mr. Boozer....also known as the Cleveland Snake.

• Re: Steve-O
    July 16, 2009 6:04 p.m.

Bulked up my foot! Ak couldn't put on 5# if he had to and has said as much on numerous occations. His weight simply doesn't vary from season to off season.

• Miles
    July 16, 2009 6:02 p.m.

This means that we will give Boozer away for nothing instead of making him play out the year. Not a good sign for the future as Millsap can not carry the team offensively or defensively. This does not make us better for the upcoming season. Don't really like the move based on the money issues facing the Jazz and the rest of the league. Still believe had we been patient, we could have done better next year.

• Anonymous
    July 16, 2009 6:00 p.m.

Another grossly overpaid professional sports player--let the moronic fan base start worshiping another multi-millionaire now.

• Jimbob
    July 16, 2009 6:00 p.m.

great move by the Jazz. The contract is front loaded with that stupid signing bonus. It starts at roughly 6.4 million, and once we get the signing bonus out the way the contract is good value, I dont think it gets above 7 million, for our future starting power forward (presuming Booz is outta here) thats very good value.

Now on to trading Boozer. I dont wanna hear any more about trading him for rubbish and cash, these are all rumors from other teams. The only deal that has been reported that we offered was Boozer for Prince, which I think shows our intentions. That would have saved us money and improved the team. Hopefully KOC keeps that mindset and doesnt cave in to downgrading Booz just to save pocket money, unless it saves us 10mil plus I dont wanna hear it.

As for AK...do we really wanna be paying a 6th man over 16 million next season...does that really sound ethical?

• annonymous
    July 16, 2009 5:58 p.m.

when will the announcement of a boozer trade happen

• Reality
    July 16, 2009 5:55 p.m.

Here are the net production numbers for last year for the Jazz players. Net prodution is points produced minus points allowed.

AK +8.6
    Miles -4.0
    Korver -4.0
    Almond -8.9
    Fez -10.7
    Price -11.3
    Collins -20.8

This is only one metric but it is a good direct head to head indicator of contribution.

Millsap on balance is better than Boozer and cheaper. AK may not be over paid? Koufos is better than most think. Harp will be missed. Okur is a wash. We need an up grade at Korver/CJ. Knight was better than Price. Price will lose games this year. Collins was a disaster. Almond is not a loss.

Keeping Millsap is okay if we can get upgrades at back up SF and SG. Koufos will be better this year to help at C. We also need the strongest PF available to go with Millsap.

We are in the lux tax. Get the best team possible. If you are going to pay then contend.

Millsap will have to improve.

• re: 5:25 pm post
    July 16, 2009 5:53 p.m.

Yes - as a matter of fact you sound like the quintessential Suprs fan. Please go. You'll fit right in with all the whiners down there.

• Re: Great! I'm Satisfied
    July 16, 2009 5:49 p.m.

Millsap wasn't making 3/4 mil each year. He only made about $890,000 last year.

• Re: Dave
    July 16, 2009 5:48 p.m.

Don't forget trading Okur and Korver for Dwight Howard.

I agree with Great I'm Satisfied. I don't like the idea of having to pay a huge luxury tax this season, but Milsap earned a $5-6M bonus over the last few seasons. And for the record he was actually making a minimum contract at about $700K per year. Milsap's value should be around 6-7 a year, which is what his contract is worth minus the bonus. As long as I think of the bonus as a late payment for the last 3 seasons I'm okay with it, otherwise this was not a good move.
    Keep Boozer until the trade deadline and see if the team is contending before trading him. He and DWill are the only players we have that can actually create their own shot. Everyone else is either a job shooter or scores off backdoor cuts.

• team USA
    July 16, 2009 5:46 p.m.

don't forget Kosta Koufos to Toronto for Bosh. And Ronnie Brewer and CJ to LA for Kobe. Then we'll have team USA. who needs subs?

• Christian Williams
    July 16, 2009 5:43 p.m.

Milsap is a bargain at 8 mil/year. Too bad about the luxury tax tax issue. Everybody forgets the Jazz are in this situation because they found such a great player in the second round.

• STEVE-O
    July 16, 2009 5:43 p.m.

I think fans will be pleasantly surprised with Millsap's production next year. I also hope AK gets some PF minutes with his new bulked up frame he won't be pushed around quite as easily.
    Considering what COULD have happened with this offseason I'm happy the way things have turned out.

• Re: STEVE-O
    July 16, 2009 5:41 p.m.

Thank you for being one of the only voices of reason, Steve-O. This deal only looks scary because it is frontloaded. The Jazz will take out a loan for it that will get paid back over time, and end up paying a decent wage, even reasonable, wage for his services. This is not a bad deal at all.

Everyone was singing a different tune when Millsap was putting fans in the seats and everyone was raving about his 20-10 propensity during the course of the season. The offseason starts and all of a sudden everyone is objective, even pessimistic. Boozer has a one way ticket out of town, and we will pay to see this team take the floor, so I'm thinking that there's little to complain about. Somehow, we as fans always find a way...

• Risky...
    July 16, 2009 5:37 p.m.

...But you knew it was going to happen. Don't forget, D-Will was very clear he wanted Millsap, even in public.

A year from now KOC will be the hero or the goat. At least he should be used to either role by now. Some great moves and some real stinkers over his career.

Only one real piece of drama left. Not sure they can keep our interest with Boozer trade rumors for 100+ days though.

• Dave
    July 16, 2009 5:32 p.m.

The Jazz now need to trade Boozer to Cleveland for LeBron, and if we could get DWade from the Heat for AK and Fes we're going to be set. I really hope KOC has a chance to work this out, it would be the greatest move ever by a GM.

• Great! I'm Satisfied
    July 16, 2009 5:31 p.m.

Paul really is getting just under 7mil for the four years. Look at it like this, he has contributed a bunch to our success the past 2 years making only 3/4mil each year and in comparison to the other players in this league that play 25 min per game that is peanuts. So in essence look at it like he got his bonus for the last 2 years of quality play in this contract. Now he can support his family that follows him here each year and (he is their bread winner) live like some of the other lower tier players. This bonus of 5mil deducted from the 32mil makes his contract 4 years for 27mil, which amounts to just under 7mil per season. I like it and so should you fans.

• K-Dog
    July 16, 2009 5:29 p.m.

$10M for a backup. Stupid, Stupid, Stupid!

• @Shaybo
    July 16, 2009 5:28 p.m.

You can't say "I told you so." The summer isn't even over, yet.

• Cowboy Joe
    July 16, 2009 5:26 p.m.

First off Millsap will be a value after his first year with a salary in the 6 to 7 million. Secondly DWill wants Millsap to stay so it had to be done, and thirdly why do the fans care about the luxury tax and salary tax? It's not like we have to pay the bill. I just hope that the Jazz are patient and get the right offer for Boozer. THe Miami one is a horrible trade for the Jazz. They need to get equal or close to it. If they have to bring back Boozer because no good trades than do it. Boozer will have a monster year because he wants a big contract and raise. Let him have that monster year in Utah and The Jazz can be the Mercenaries instead of BOozer for once,

• Deron Williams
    July 16, 2009 5:25 p.m.

wants him back. I doubt we know more than D-Will about this kind of stuff.

• KOC is an idiot!
    July 16, 2009 5:25 p.m.

Wow, just when I thought Jazz management couldn't be any stupider....

Then again, why am I surprised? This is the same front office that is actually (according to the rumor) considering trading Boozer for Haslem. There has got to be something I am not aware of, or else it is true that the people running the Jazz are in fact the dumbest people on earth. I think it's about time I find a new team....Spurs?

• Wow!
    July 16, 2009 5:24 p.m.

Millsap's contract is definitely better than the one Boozer signed 4 years ago

• Ryan
    July 16, 2009 5:23 p.m.

I like the deal better than sending Milsap to Portland and keeping Boozer for 1 year. I just hope the Jazz can get a decent trade for Boozer.

• STEVE-O
    July 16, 2009 5:22 p.m.

Like I've said... the Jazz would be stupid not to match this. The contract looks scary because it's frontloaded, but the last three years are not bad at all. Good move by the Jazz.

• Shaybo
    July 16, 2009 5:15 p.m.

Great, the Jazz are showing they are satisfied with the status quo or less and are willing to spend a ton of money to do it. They will never beat the elite teams in the west with this team. Let's top it off by taking the moronic Miami trade for Boozer to make up some of that money. I'm done commenting except to say I told you so.

• Sh@
    July 16, 2009 5:14 p.m.

I expect Portland to work a trade for Boozer now...

• The Millman
    July 16, 2009 5:14 p.m.

Better deal than the one Cleveland gave Varejo and much better than Varejo. Wait till the guy is getting quality minutes and has a decent backup. Depending on who they can bring in you could actually bring AK off the bench at the four that is considering we could get a two guard and move R Brewer to three.

• Anonymous
    July 16, 2009 5:12 p.m.

He's not worth it! He is a $6 million a year player....not an $8 or $9 million a year player! The Jazz are destroying their future.

• Well
    July 16, 2009 5:12 p.m.

if Boozer and Millsap come back, and we stay healthy, this may be the best move value-wise.

• Chadders
    July 16, 2009 5:11 p.m.

I don't know what to think about this. If I think about how happy it makes Dwill then I like it. If I think about the salary cap this year then I don't.

• Chris
    July 16, 2009 5:10 p.m.

Great news. and good bye Boozer if not this year then next summer

• wow
    July 16, 2009 5:10 p.m.

not too bright

• Dear Kevin
    July 16, 2009 5:10 p.m.

You are crazy. We better hear about a trade with the Blazer by tomorrow.

• badbadbad
    July 16, 2009 5:09 p.m.

The Jazz have way over paid. This deal will keep the team down for four years, just like AK's deal is right now.

• SRq
    July 16, 2009 5:07 p.m.

Nice. Now if we can just get rid of The Mercenary.