Farming for the needy

Man works hard to tend LDS Church crops

• Eleanor Cameron, Alberta, Canad
    Oct. 5, 2009 11:20 a.m.

Dave and Steve thank-you for helping the Church move forward. We feel your work is rewarding for you as well as for the needy. Health and Happiness in the Gospel for you both.

• Iris
    July 26, 2009 3:54 p.m.

Congratulations all for the wonderful work being done! Only those who receive the benefit will ever know the great love that it is placed in the farming, development and producing all that is given, One thing is for sure it is from the Lord's hand that they receive on both ends, all that is given in charity and with love is worth working for... I know Steve and all those who work like him and Dave and Amy would never ask for any recognition. Recognition is the Lord's.

• ak
    July 17, 2009 9:20 a.m.

Thank you for being who you are and the great work you do and I am delighted you have found such a great companion. We pass your place almost weekly. This works because its done Gods way not mans. Just read the news and see the differance. But the quest for power, fame, and money keep them from doing it, they have had the Churchs example before them for generations now. May God bless you.

• Scott
    July 15, 2009 5:30 p.m.

Steve may be the Manager, but it's Dave who gets the WORK DONE.

• All Church Fam Workers
    July 12, 2009 11:16 p.m.

The article highlighted a nice couple doing good work. Keep it up. There are a lot of similar families throughout the church farm program.

I have a brother that worked the church farms in Kaysville as a young man. I've lived in a ward in Ririe Idaho (near Idaho Falls) that had church farm families managing huge wheat fields. I've known several that managed church farms in the midwest while serving a mission.

I've never known a bad apple in the entire bunch. They're a great group of people cut out of the same fabric with a love for others and the knowledge of the importance of the work they do.

• Anonymous
    July 12, 2009 12:54 p.m.

Hi. I am from England and I think it is such a shame that people just cant comment on what they have read and know to be true.There are many people Like dave , Steve and his wife, but this article just happens to be about them. The church has the most fantastic programe for heping others, and usually its done without anyone knowing about it. Sometimes it just great to hear and know of just a few of the hundreds of thousands of people across the world who are also helping. Well done and God Bless you to all of you.
    Rosemary

• not telling
    July 12, 2009 5:51 a.m.

Who cares you gets credit. The article was about the welfare program and people that dedicate their lives to helping others. No one is getting a raise over this.

• NEIGHBOR
    July 10, 2009 10:53 p.m.

DESERET NEWS MISSED TELLING ABOUT THE REAL MANAGER OF THE FARM STEVE WOOD. HAVING LIVED IN THE AREA MANY YEARS, AND WATCHED WHAT GOES ON THERE.
    THEY SHOULD HAVE MENTIONED STEVES NAME. THE DAY TO DAY DECISIONS FALLS ON STEVES SHOULDERS,DAVE AS THE ASSSISTANT. WAY TO GO STEVE I WILL GIVE YOU THE CREDIT.

• The Barnes Family
    July 10, 2009 9:39 p.m.

This was a very accurate article. We ought to know. Credit was fairly given ONLY where it was deserved. Having Dave work for you is like having 1.5 people and in this past year the church is very lucky to now have him become 2.5 and on top of that now he has the excellent help Amy will provide.
    Go Dave! More power to you! You deserve all the credit given.....and much not given here.

• Fifi
    July 10, 2009 5:38 p.m.

And to think that Amy left a desk job in the Office of the First Presidency to become a farmer's wife!

Way to go Amy and Dave.

• Oris Rudd, 1:15 p.m. 7/10/09
    July 10, 2009 1:20 p.m.

Excellent story... Dave is surely a dedicated and committed farmer who would probably feel better about being depicted as working in the SOIL than in the dirt.....there is a difference. The soil is a living dynamic entity....dirt has negative connotations.

• Mariane Kiraly
    July 10, 2009 9:52 a.m.

Dave comes from a very hard-working farm family where I live and work as an Extension Educator and dairy farmer. I am not surprised at his success in growing food and being an excellent farmer.

• Neighbor
    July 10, 2009 7:42 a.m.

Dave is a great guy and a great worker. The unsung hero on the Saratoga Farm is Steve Wood. Without Steves expertise and supervision and dedication that farm would not be successful. Thanks for all the hard work for the church welfare system.

• Michael Murrell, Psy. D.
    July 10, 2009 7:08 a.m.

Dear Dave
    My daughter just converted to Mormonism. Now I see that the genuince caring that you have for others is common in her church as well.
    Blessings to all,
    Dr. Michael Murrell
    Psychologist
    Springfield, MO

• SouthAfrica
    July 10, 2009 6:37 a.m.

There is so much more to Dave than ever could be told. We've know him as the guy who sets up all the chairs in the cultural hall, arriving early each Sunday, and who can be found at all the activities that require the real work. He's just always there serving endlessly and selflessly. Amy, Dave was every bit worth the wait. To our Saratoga Springs neighbors, we are pleased to be reading Dave and Amy's story in faraway South Africa, where that wheat they grow is sold affordably in the Distribution Center here in Johannesburg.

• Anonymous
    July 9, 2009 10:50 p.m.

ITS GOOD THEY HAVE A GOOD MANAGER LIKE STEVE WOOD WHO HAS BEEN THERE FOR MANY YEARS TO TELL DAVE WHAT TO DO,AND TO MAKE SURE THINGS KEEP RUNNING SMOOTH

• anonymous
    July 9, 2009 5:29 p.m.

Thanks to Saratoga Crops Manager Steve Wood for making that farm a success. Couldnt be done without Steve.

• Sherri & Bobby
    July 9, 2009 1:22 p.m.

Dave is truly deserving of this type of recognition. We are glad that someone finally took note of the hard work and dedication he has shown over many years. We are proud and happy for you both!

• JJohnson
    July 8, 2009 10:33 p.m.

This is a true example of inspiration and both

of you are a wonderful example to all of us. I am a

single mother of two and have been priveleged to

enjoy the fruits of your labor. I want to say Thank

You for your sacrfice and everything that your hard

work does to provide for indigent families that

struggle. Your hard work is appreciated and I

applaude your determination.

God bless you and all you do.

• Kelly
    July 8, 2009 8:18 p.m.

Wow. That is really cool! You make me want to do that too! Thanks for being an example for others!

• JanSan
    July 8, 2009 12:31 p.m.

I also was greatly impressed by this article. I love the welfare program in the church and the way that we help the poor and needy, not only those in our church but just those who need it. This is truly a God sent to our world in these time of natural turmoil and the way the econamy is going.

• Naomi
    July 8, 2009 11:52 a.m.

I have no life with a purpose, where do I sign up?

• James Schwerdt
    July 7, 2009 11:28 p.m.

Extremely impressive, you are setting a fine example. An aside are you connected to Rainer Baldauf of San Francisco?

• AnOkie
    July 7, 2009 9:48 p.m.

You two are such an inspiration, may God bless you above and beyond all that you could even imagine

• Mae
    July 7, 2009 9:28 p.m.

Wow! If that isn't just exactly what this country needs--a hard-working and charitable family. Your lives are an answer to much of today's problems. Can my sons come help you on the farm? I want them to grow up with that kind of work ethic and generousity. Thank you for showing people how to live not just telling them.

• Kyle Thomas from AZ
    July 7, 2009 9:27 p.m.

Just wanted to say Hi and congratulations on your marriage to my friend Amy. Some of the best memories I have were working with her at Deseret Industries and I can see that her spirit of service continues on...Vancy would be devastated to hear you got married :-)

• anon
    July 7, 2009 5:34 p.m.

yes, her maiden name is Evans.

• Ernest T. Bass
    July 7, 2009 5:00 p.m.

Only religious repugs could turn this into a political session to bag on our President.

• Herb Gravy
    July 7, 2009 3:18 p.m.

Obama gets mentioned because of his policies that will drive many farmers out of business - including "Cap and Trade" as mentioned by another poster. And, the environmentalist "freaks" that he undoubtedly supports who are now driving many farmers to the brink of ruin. Case in point is the west side of the San Joaquin Valley where a small minnow is given priority over men, women, and children. "Fish First"! What's wrong with this picture?

• Dave
    July 7, 2009 2:50 p.m.

Very nice to read about someone positive and upbeat who help those around them when all we usually hear is about BHO ruining our country and pedophile freaks being honored. Keep making the world a better place as they say, thanks!

• Anonymous
    July 7, 2009 1:53 p.m.

Thanks for the story it was just the inspiration I needed to do the same thing but on a smaller scale

• Rebekah
    July 7, 2009 12:10 p.m.

Way to go Amy and Dave! You've always been front page in our book! Thanks to the Deseret News for writing such an inspirational story--perfect fit for the 4th of July season.

• Great work
    July 7, 2009 11:15 a.m.

I spent a lot of time in my youth on the Saratoga farms and have since spent service time rebuilding fences out there. It's a great place with good people running the show. It's nice to see that it's in good hands still, just as it was 30 years ago.

• Re: Rich
    July 7, 2009 11:14 a.m.

Could you just comment on the story, where in the world did Obama get in this. You make yourself look like an idiot.

• I predict....
    July 7, 2009 10:36 a.m.

...a return engagement to Russia someday--or some other third world country who desperately needs the knowledge and commitment you have, as a service missionary couple. Best wishes to you now-and then.

Thanks for this story!

• Terry
    July 7, 2009 9:53 a.m.

Farming definitely gets in your blood. I produce more food crops than I can use. Any way to donate to the Storehouse?

• A reminder
    July 7, 2009 9:36 a.m.

This reminds me of my own humble, noble, hard-working, honest, farmer/cattleman father. There has never been a better man than my dad. I loved growing up with him (and my equally-wonderful mother) in that kind of environment. I wish everyone in the world could experience times like that - they were the best.

Good story. Thanks!

• Kyle from AZ
    July 7, 2009 9:28 a.m.

Does anyone know if her maiden name is Evans. Looks like a friend I lost contact with years ago but they didn't have a good enough pic for me to be able to tell.

• crs
    July 7, 2009 9:23 a.m.

There are alot of us out here like Dave.
    Farmers are the hardest working guys around. I am married to one, and I love the life. Dave, the only thing missing is your hat!! Gotta have a hat!!

• Rich
    July 7, 2009 9:20 a.m.

" OBAMA & CRONIES " Are you done hiding from the things that really help humanity ?

Take a look at " Dave & Wife " and others like them ~~ maybe a light will come on in those mush filled heads of yours .

To anyone participating in helping humanity ~ " Thank You So Much !!!! "

• Bob and Susie
    July 7, 2009 9:13 a.m.

What a surprise to see you two in the news. Keep up the great job you are doing on the farm.

• Kip Walls
    July 7, 2009 8:50 a.m.

Farmers are a great and creative bunch of folks. This country was built by farm people that had to be weather forecasters, mechanics, veterinarians, as well as crop and market experts and accountants and financeers. A hardy breed that grew crops for the soldiers in WWII and for schools and the needy and get little recognition for their war effort etc. Cap and trade has been reported to raise farm costs 40% so prepare yourself for higher food prices! Great article and most farmers and ranchers see God at work every day!

• beth
    July 7, 2009 8:45 a.m.

now, that you are famous, don't forget those who got you where you are.(and this isn't your mother) we love you, and we want you to know that you were not quite so famous til your wife came along.

• PFought
    July 7, 2009 8:43 a.m.

Now that beats sitting behind a desk, Amy! Especially when you are with the your knight in shining armor! We are still awaiting those wedding pix!

• Michael MIller
    July 7, 2009 8:32 a.m.

Government leaders take note: a social welfare system that actually works!

• JJ
    July 7, 2009 8:19 a.m.

Farming is such a noble profession. I wish the Baldauf's the best.

• Ernest T. Bass
    July 7, 2009 8:00 a.m.

So neat!

• jack
    July 7, 2009 7:59 a.m.

HOW REFRESHING! Thank you for sharing such a positive story!

• sam
    July 7, 2009 7:59 a.m.

You go Dave, and it sounds like you have yourself a real woman.

• Anonymous
    July 7, 2009 7:21 a.m.

Wonderful concept. Needs to be implemented in other church and community organizations state-wide. God always has a way to provide for HIS people.SConyers

• Sammy
    July 7, 2009 7:03 a.m.

Good Work Dave, Thanks for making the world a better place.

• Anonymous
    July 7, 2009 6:55 a.m.

Great stuff! If only we had more of this attitude, in everyday life, in our approach to business, in our outlook on government and politics, and so forth. This is what being a Christian is all about.

• Jean B
    July 7, 2009 2:19 a.m.

I guess this is what it means to live your religion. What a great article.

• Great story
    July 7, 2009 12:31 a.m.

This country could use a few more people like the Baldauf's.

• MarkS
    July 6, 2009 11:02 p.m.

No flash, all heart, all work. Hooray for people like the Baldaufs!