BYU, Bronco collecting a galaxy of recruits

• Kona Gold
    July 11, 2009 7:59 p.m.

Add another 4 star recruit to the BYU list. DE Kona Schwenke commits to Bronco this morning.

• Anonymous
    July 10, 2009 1:06 p.m.

Curiousity... | 5:19 a.m. July 10, 2009

----------

Well if Jake Heaps can win you championships in 2013 I think Cain and Louks are capable enough to compete for the MWC this year: 10-2 is good.

I like our chances of knocking on another BCS door next year.

• Re: 2009 predictions
    July 10, 2009 7:25 a.m.

That's cute the way you predict four MWC losses for BYU landing them in the bottom half of the conference. Do your parents know you are commenting on BYU articles instead of doing your homework?

• Curiousity...
    July 10, 2009 5:19 a.m.

I'm curious how Utah is going to be doing so well with an inexperienced QB this year? If Brian Johnson were returning I would agree with the lavish expectations for Utah, but his ship has sailed.

• Defense wins ball games
    July 9, 2009 10:19 p.m.

And BYU went 10-3 without one last year. Believe me that side of the ball will be miles better than it was last year. 2006 was a solid squad with both sides of the ball as a stregnth. 2007 the defense carried the team, 2008 the offense carried the team.

This year, with recruiting and experience this will finally be the year both sides of the ball come back together the way they did in 2006. Just watch.

• Oklahoma
    July 9, 2009 10:16 p.m.

I'm not sure why this game has been brought up, having not read the comments. But I've been watching film and have figured out how BYU can guarantee a win. All they need to do is show the game on BYU-TV... every game I've ever seen on BYU-TV BYU has won. Has anyone else noticed this? It's like a good luck charm. Check it out, it's true.

In fact, they should show every game on BYU-TV so they can go undefeated! Go Cougs!

• True Blue
    July 9, 2009 3:44 p.m.

I can't wait to watch BYU dismantle Oklahoma on national television. After that I will enjoy watching BYU dominate Florida State, Tulane, TCU and Utah.

Quest for Perfection Baby!!!

• yawn ....
    July 9, 2009 3:25 p.m.

BYU fans get ready to open the season with a BANG - sort of like getting blown up with dynamite!! Oklahoma 55 BYU 17. After that blowout expect the speed of Florida State to hand you your second loss FSU 31 BYU 21. TCU and Utah will both get by the Y even on the road. Very sad. 2009 is going to be UGLY in poor little Provo. The REASON: BYU HAS NO DEFENSE and defense wins championships!!

• 2009 predictions
    July 9, 2009 3:17 p.m.

After all the hoo-haw projections and recruitment talk here are my 2009 projects for the MWC.

1. TCU (11-1)
    2. Utah (10-2)
    3. New Mexico (9-3)
    4. UNLV (8-4)
    5. BYU (7-5)

I only put the U #2 because they have to play at TCU this year and both teams are very close in talent especially on defense. Both the U and TCU will play in bowl games - but no BCS this year. BYU will lose to Oklahoma by a BIG margin (probably 28 points) along with Florida State, TCU, Utah, UNLV and New Mexico. BYU simply doesn't have a defense again in 2009 which reflects very poorly on Bronco.

• W's are the proof
    July 9, 2009 3:08 p.m.

All this chatter is meaningless unless you win. If you win then it's because you have good talent and if you lose then you need better talent. Very simple really. Whitingham is a better coach than Bronco simply because he is a better recruiter. Bronco likes high character players and Whitingham goes for speed and size. The U has two BCS bowl trophies and top 10 finishes and the Y settles for the Vegas bowl every year if they are lucky. BYU will never reach the level of the U in football simply because of recruiting.

• Anonymous
    July 9, 2009 2:46 p.m.

Bronco lives right off the field, so that entitles him to the discernment and influence of the Spirit to help him in recruiting.

Yeah, right.

• Mike
    July 9, 2009 1:23 p.m.

Bronco could see 500 recruits, but he still has that lousy quarterback.

• HAHAHAHAHA
    July 9, 2009 12:36 p.m.

Stop please, you kitties crack me up. All of your comparisions only go back 32 years or less. Why is that zoobers? Did the football universe start 32 years ago? Maybe yours did with Lavell, but Utah has had a much better program if viewed as a whole.

FACT: Utah has 113 more all time wins than the Y.

FACT: Utah has a higher all time winning percentage (.589) than does the Y (.553)

FACT: Utah has 26 Conference Titles compared to half as much, 13 for the kitties.

FACT: In head-to-head matchups, Utah dominates the series with the Y. UTAH is 53-33-4 against BYU. (or if you kitties insist in not counting the first 6 games played in the rivalry because you weren't a real school yet, Utah is still 50-30-4).

CONCLUSION: The Utes have a better football history than the Y by far, however, all of the 30-40 year olds that live in this state only remember the Lavell years. UTAH OWNS YOU PAST PRESENT AND FUTURE!

• For the last time (again)...
    July 9, 2009 12:30 p.m.

BYU-HAS-NO-NATIONAL-CHAMPIONSHIPS!

The NCAA website states: “The NCAA does not conduct a national championship in Division I-A football.”

Into this void have stepped at least 36 self-appointed entities that have declared themselves the “deciders” of the college football “National Champion.” The AP poll is only one of many. Interestingly, until the mid 1960’s, the AP voted on the “National Champion” before the bowl games were even played!

Recent arrogance has been for whoever was AP and/or Coaches Poll number one to call themselves the “National Champions.” This has led to a series of absurd results, such as an abundance of “National Championship” gear for the year 2003 with both LSU and USC as claimants! In the 1984 AP Poll, BYU received only 38 of 60 first-place votes.

Jeff Sagarin’s poll has historically had the most credibility. Who was Jeff Sagarin’s 1984 “National Champion”? The Florida Gators! In 1984, the 9-1-1 Gator team was deemed to be “National Champions” by 21 of the 47 rating entities, more than any other college, including BYU! Even the NCAA recognizes the Gators as National Champions on their website!

• Anonymous
    July 9, 2009 12:23 p.m.

Mike | 11:16 a.m. July 9, 2009:

Really? Utah has won 10+ games 3 of the last 6 years with 2 undefeated seasons and 2 BCS wins while beating ranked oppenents.

Now what exactly has BYU accomplished on the field in that same time period that even comes close?

So using your logic these new recruits for BYU will be so much better they'll be contending for a title by 2011 and Utah will all of a sudden play like its 70s and 80s.

FYI NOT likely!!

• Anonymous
    July 9, 2009 12:12 p.m.

Not at all obsessed about BYU just sick of all the over hype by thier players and fans like Dick. BYU hasn't accomplished anything on the filed in THIS BCS era yet they keep on thinking thier an elite progam.

1-22 against ranked teams yet you have Jake Heaps talking about 2013 title and Bronco's "Quest". NEWS FLASH: Elite programs actually win ranked opponents.

I sat through the beatings put on by BYU in the early 80s... the fact is those years are gone. Actually this millennium the only beatings has been by Utah on BYU (04 and 08).

Yes conference titles are good and trophies are nice. But they're NOTHING to brag about when you can't beat anyone good on the field.

For example, as a huge Jazz fan I don't care about Division Titles and I would trade Mailman's 2 MVP trophies in a heart beat for a NBA title.

So in this BCS era keep your conference titles and Hiesmans I will trade that any day for another beat down of a SEC team in a BCS game.

• No rosey glasses here
    July 9, 2009 11:41 a.m.

As a BYU fan whose best friend is a Utah fan, I have had my share of humble pie. Utah has rocked it since about 2000. No question they have been great over those years. BYU has however continued to improve. Here is what hurts BYU teams athletically -Its overwhemingly LDS social demographic. With the substantial importance on the two year mission which creates a lag in recruit development. I know Utes will say we have a lot of those guys two. Yeah but only about half as many. They go off on missions, change their focus and their workout regime for two years then come back. I know it is somewhat anectdotal but look at Young. The greatest quarterback ever to come out of a Utah College. He did not serve a mission and was able to focus on football and it showed.

• Mike
    July 9, 2009 11:16 a.m.

Living in the past I recall that the 1984 team, playing their first game on the road at Pittsburgh with a rookie QB named Bosco who had never started a varsity game, was supposed to get stomped by Pitt. It wasn't even going to be a contest according to all the pundits. BYU overcame some very sloppy playing and showed tenacity to win the game. Pitt, at the time, was ranked #2. Yes Michigan was 6-5 but they also lost several close games that year.

Fast forward to now. The ranking of recruits doesn't mean jack. Especially with missions involved. BYU needs to recruit some speedy Jr. College DB's to help out the defense.

• Don
    July 9, 2009 9:19 a.m.

To: No BYU Looks Silly 10:23 Pm.
    Sir,Never said I was a Genius! Don't be offended.Maybe you are because I am a BYU fan and I too am tired of all the preseason hype and then the let down. No Florida, Oklahoma and USC are not the only powers! You bring up a straw man here! The teams you mention that have not won a National Championship probably have not won since they play a stronger schedule. Again my examples of Texas, Oklahoma and Nebraska were a small sampling based on who BYU starts with this season(OKLAHOMA). You again prove my point when you mention the others. If BYU and Utah played 4 or 5 ranked teams in conference and 1 or 2 ranked non conference teams do you think they would be in the BCS hunt like you seem to covet so much? Please look at these facts. The major BCS conferences play a tougher schedule. Again I used the Big 12 as that is where BYU starts the season, but lesser teams in the Big 12,Pac 10, Big 10,SEC,etc,play tougher competition overall. Wish it was wasn't true!

• citizen16
    July 9, 2009 8:51 a.m.

Yawn...more UofU fans posting innane comments on an article about BYU's recruiting class. I really would have thought that the little brother syndrome would have subsided a little bit after last year...I guess not. Once again proving that many UofU fans are really just anti-BYU fans. My prediction...2 or 3 years from now no one outside of Utah will be talking about the UofU football team and BYU fans will be enjoying an even better team than the past couple of years. Should be fun to watch our team. I really don't care what happens with the UofU team. I don't even know the name of one player on their team next year, let alone what anyone thinks of their recruiting class.

But I am really excited about the recruits Bronco and his staff have been able to bring in this year.

• You don't get it
    July 9, 2009 5:47 a.m.

Hmmm, acomplish something on the field....

How about a NC? How about a Heisman Trophy winner? Maybe a 49er QB who actually won a few games?

You can always find something to bash my friend. It's just that some of us feel the need more than others.

I can recognize what Utah has done with its program over the past decade or so (there wasn't too much to cheer about before that), and I actually believe Utah deserves a NC for what they did last year.

You, and many of your fellow Ute fans, feel the need to obsess over things like BYU's slogans, the stated dreams of its recruits, and it wouldn't surprise me if you've even said a thing or two about BYU's new grass.

I don't think you get it. You don't need this anymore, your program has established itself as a winner. Let it go...or is there still some little brother syndrome left in you that you just can't shake?

• Flash in the pan Utah
    July 9, 2009 1:49 a.m.

BYU has 22 Conference Championships since 1974. Utah has 5 in the last 45 seasons.
    BYU has 16 ranked finishes in the last 32 seasons. Utah has 5 in history.
    BYU has 16 major awards since 1974. Utah has never won a major award.

Yes, Utah has 2 BCS games. That's very nice. But it gives no long term indication of success. My bet is, there little 5 year run is about over. Look for Utah to finish no better than 3rd this year (The same place they finished in '06 and '07), while BYU racks up their 3rd conference championship in 4 years.

Utah will never be BYU, until they grow a half decent sized fanbase and move out of the cracker box they call a stadium.

• No BYU Looks Silly
    July 8, 2009 10:23 p.m.

Utes: You Look Silly | 5:53 p.m. July 8, 2009

What looks silly is a 2008 preseason #16 team using slogans such as "Quest for Perfection" and then getting hammered by better teams and humiliated by a weak UofA.

Now your recruits, like Jake Heaps, is talking about winning a championship 2010.

All this hype yet you can't even break the BCS.

That is why I enjoy bashing on BYU. Accomplish something on the field besides winning weak teams then you can talk about a national title.

Don | 5:45 p.m. July 8, 2009
    "Again recruit rankings do not win anything and neither has BYU or Utah in the last 25 years!"

Thank you genius for your analysis. BUT same could be said about ASU, Oregon, Texas A&M, Kansas, and dozens of other BCS schools.

So, what is your point? Everyone stinks except USC, FL, and Oklahoma?

Here's one thing Utah has done that Oklahoma has not over the last 5 years: Won two BCS games.

• Utes: You Look Silly
    July 8, 2009 5:53 p.m.

When is the Ute football fan going to get over his obsession with BYU football? Does he realize that BYU doesn't depend upon the existence of Utah to define its program? Can the Ute fan say the same thing about his team? If so, why such devotion to bashing the cougs?

Ute fan: figure it out, your team has a lot going for it, you no longer need to justify your existence by bashing the cougs, or do you?

I do not diminish the great rivalry between these two schools. There may not be a game I want BYU to win more each year than the Utah game. However, I've been to the rivalry game at both venues, and have seen for myself that the red team's fan base wins the contest for being more obsessed/angry/vindictive hands down.

For those Ute fans who have already figured this out, kudos. For the rest of you Ute fans, does this not make sense?

• Don
    July 8, 2009 5:45 p.m.

To:Re:Don
    Yes I made an error. Oklahoma lays claim to 13 National titles. Yes USC has 11. I live near USC now and have an appreciation for their program. But USC was not part of the point raised regarding UTAH and BYU football and competition. USC is another example of how poorly BYU and UTAH rate in the whole picture when it comes to College football. Yes Oklahoma has had it tough the last few years but did win National titles in 2000 and 2003 and played in a number of others? Where were BYU and UTAH? Right where I had explained before! Watching on Tv at home! Again recruit rankings do not win anything and neither has BYU or Utah in the last 25 years! I used Oklahoma as an example and the Big 12 opponents since that is where BYU starts the 2010 season! If it had been against USC I would have used the Pack 10. Thank You!

• RE: ajarizona
    July 8, 2009 1:08 p.m.

IF Florida, Oklahoma, or Texas were playing BYU's scheudle since '84 they would have run off 25 national titles by now.

Lets face it WAC and MWC titles mean nothing.

We can argue that the only year it counted was in 2008 when we had 3 ranked teams with 2 in the top-10. Correct me if I am wrong but I cannot ever recall that happening when BYU was winning.

• Face Reality
    July 8, 2009 12:57 p.m.

ajarizona | 8:55 a.m. July 8, 2009

Yes we are a mid-major the powerhouse schools like USC, FL, Ohio, Penn, etc. they are the big boys.

I never said Utah cannot compete with them (see 2004 and 2008) I said BYU has NOT since 1996.

Please enlighten me on which ranked team BYU has won since 1996 except for beating up a weak conference? Face reality BYU's 1-22 record speaks for itself. What is its bowl record?

Congratulations on your 5 conference championships and all those trophies. See as a Ute I can care less about winning the MWC. It's like me being a Jazz fan and counting division titles while the Fakers are counting NBA titles.

Granted BYU won in '84 but that is as relevant today as the Utes basketball title.

I never said anything about schools like Pitt, a team Utah humiliated, or UofA, the team that humiliated BYU's best team since 1996, as being powerhouse programs.

I agree with you on Big East programs they shouldn't get an automatic bid... but lets face it teams like WV and Cincinnati are better then BYU.

• ajarizona
    July 8, 2009 8:55 a.m.

Powerhouse programs? to the BCS

Like Pitt, West Virginia, Cincinati, Oregon State? Give me a break, The BCS is crooked and you buy into it. Even referring to yourself as a Mid-Major..

Utah BYU or TCU dont' take a back seat to at least one half of the BCS schools. They are larger and more storied.

Nothing since Since '96?
    BYU has 5 Conference Championships since '96, (22 in the last 34 years). 5 top 25 finishes. More All-Americans, major awards, draft choices and in the NFL.

Utah has 4 titles since 96, 5 since '95. BYU 6 since '95 Even with Crowton, BYU still outdid the Utes. Before McBride's shared title in '95 Utah went 31 years without a Title.

Utah has a really nice run going. No doubt. However, Legacy programs are built over sustained excellence. Down years to be sure, but legacy programs are never down for more than a few seasons, Can Utah sustain their run for a generation or more? We'll see. BYU has!

• Re:DON
    July 8, 2009 12:12 a.m.

So what's your point, Oklahoma hasn't won a BCS game in so long they should be banned from even getting in.USC has 11 national championships and the last time they played Chokelahoma it was a joke like 55-14. SC has a wide winning percentage against your big three.. Oklahoma, Texas and Nebraska..Stop it dude Oklahoma has got to beat Boise State before they start talking smack.

• Don
    July 7, 2009 10:58 p.m.

Reality: 791-296. 44 Conference Championships and 7 National Championships! Rated by ESPN Sports as the Greatest Program in College Football since 1936. Byu and Ute hope to be good! OKLAHOMA will be playing again for a National Championship while all us BYU and UTE fans will be home watching! Just the facts! And they will probably be playing Florida! And they play a real rival every year! TEXAS. 835 wins, second best winning percentage in football and 4 National Championships! NEBRASKA 817-338. 44 Conference Titles and 5 National Championships! These teams play each other every year!. Just like you all I am a Big Cougar fan and I wish the Utes well too especially in the big games but we are the peons of college football. Just the facts! Can't wait for September but BYU's season could be over by halftime the first week! It's put up or shut up time now! PS Oklahoma has 144 All Americans how many for BYU and Utah combined? By the way TCU has a good chance of being the team to beat this year!

• Cougars Fan
    July 7, 2009 9:57 p.m.

You know what I really find funny about you yewt fans? You read this article about byu and then you start bashing on the byu recruits saying how overhyped they are and that it means nothing.But yet alot of those same recruits were players that the yewts were trying to recruit. So if these recruits mean nothing and are overhyped, then I have to ask why did the yewts pursue alot of them and why havent the yewts been able to land more recruits?

• Stanford #5 2010 Recruiting
    July 7, 2009 8:31 p.m.

At scouts the powerhouse Stanford football program is #5 while BYU is #14.

So I guess if Zoob predictions are correct in 2013 we'll see BYU vs Stanford in the title game.

It even has Ball State and Duke as better 2010 recruits then Utah.

Who cares, FL with all their recruits wasn't winning championships until Myers arrived, same at USC with PC.

Unfortunately for BYU and Stanford fans their coaching staff is really inferior.

• Multi-Tasking
    July 7, 2009 8:08 p.m.

SJ | 3:05 p.m. July 7, 2009
    And yet here you are taking time out of your busy day to read AND comment on a BYU football article. You are living proof that U fans are left unfulfilled with their own program and have to obsess over what happens in Provo. Pathetic!!!

----------------

That's becasue we Utes can multitask (aka do more then one think at a time). For example, walk and chew gum.

I am more then just fulfilled after our 2008 "Quest for Perfection" accomplished season. So, I have ample time to nag big brother. Who's time in the spotlight has faded yet continues to think itself as a respected power house program when it is 1-22 against ranked opponents.

The only good thing about BCS is that never again will a team like the '84 BYU team will win a title after beating cupcake teams to go undefeated (yes my beloved Utes stunk in those years).

• Zoob Logic 101
    July 7, 2009 7:44 p.m.

Dan | 12:36 p.m. July 7, 2009
    Lets see BYU barely beat a 6-5 Michigan team...OK Utah barely beat the worst Michigan team in history. SHOULD HAVE LOST TO Oregon st. and TCU.

------------

Einstein "Quest for Perfection" is SHOULD HAVE after going 10-3 not 13-0. Utes DID beat 2-top 10 teams and 4 ranked teams MUCH MUCH better then the '84 team. The difference judges awarded you the title and not Utah. As far as on the filed Utah romped anything the 84 team did.

• RE: aj arizona
    July 7, 2009 7:22 p.m.

All that is past glory, just as Bama. Yes, respect to BYU for all its trophies. But please tell me how does it feel to have accomplished nothing since 1996? Last year was BYUs best team since '96 being ranked preseason #16, and look how that turned out.

"Enjoy your two BCS trophies, 10 teams a year play
    in those games."

Correction, not just 10 teams: 9 power house programs and 1 mid-major.

Legacy and generations of excellence with all those trophies... YET... BYU has NOT been able to crack the BCS with the other 9 national powerhouses year after year after year.

It seems that the 84 championship was easier then breaking into the BCS for BYU.

Utah 31 Bama 17 ... LOVED IT!!

BYU 21 UofA 31 ... COULDN'T STOP laughing.

• aj arizona
    July 7, 2009 6:54 p.m.

Is that the same Tennessee team that lost at home to the Mountain West doormat Wyoming Cowboys last year?
    Thought so!

• Poor Utah Fans, no hope, no BCS
    July 7, 2009 6:49 p.m.

BYU and UTAH are more like TROY and TEMPLE, EZ!

No player recruited by Tenn. would go to either BYU or Utah.

I realize Utah doesn't have big time college football, but it's cute the way you think you do. Sure you may get the 1 out of 20 victories against the big boys, when they are bored to play you.

One note if BYU ever cornered the market on LDS and poly athletes, they would be BIG, but Utah has no hope.

• Re: Get Real Ute Fans
    July 7, 2009 6:40 p.m.

Really why they lose to Wyoming? Wrong choice of words. Love to see BYU play Tenn Vols, That team has a history of choking in big and small games as well. BYU wins easy!

• Re: National Champion Trophy
    July 7, 2009 6:28 p.m.

Who really cares bout what happen in 2008, I don't it's in the past. So what is your point here?

• hey coug fans
    July 7, 2009 6:16 p.m.

sorry bowl record, sorry all-time record against ur biggest rival, sorry record against ranked teams in the past decade (like 1-21 right?), there is nothing to be jealous about! we just dont like u!

• Tenn Vols
    July 7, 2009 5:03 p.m.

Vols lost to Wyoming at home, UCLA beat them. BYU or Utah would have demolished them. Dude you better go back to the hills before it gets worse.

• Re: Get Real Ute Fans
    July 7, 2009 5:02 p.m.

Is that why Tenn lost to Mighty Wyoming last year?

• Idaho Cougar
    July 7, 2009 4:38 p.m.

Ya know, college football is a BLAST! The players and coaches are great and do a wonderful job entertaining everyone. Pro sports holds nothing compared to college football.

Problem is the fans. They are fanatics at a lot of schools. Go to a BYU home game as the visitor and you'll enjoy the game, win or lose. Going to a Utah home game as a visitor is downright dangerous! That is really sad, and shows very poor sportsmanship.

This is a game. It should be enjoyed as a GAME!

Wishing BYU, Utah and TCU GREAT seasons.

• Elton John Fan
    July 7, 2009 4:06 p.m.

Elton John wrote the music to "Your Song" but Bernie Taupin wrote the Lyrics.

• Get Real Ute Fans
    July 7, 2009 4:06 p.m.

Everyone who knows anything about college football knows that Alabama was embarrassed to play UTAH when just weeks before they thought they were going to play in the BCS CHAMPIANSHIP game. This team obviously didn’t want to play the little Utes.

Remember this. BYU and UTAH will always be little nothings. Tenn Vols will rule all of CF soon. Even in a bad year Tenn would kill both teams.

July 7, 2009 3:51 p.m.

BYU 34 Oklahoma 18

• Can't wait
    July 7, 2009 3:40 p.m.

For the Oklahoma-BYU game..

• utah fan
    July 7, 2009 3:35 p.m.

These Cougar comments are always the same:

Dismissing Utah's two undefeated seasons and two BCS bowl wins as if they are nothing.

Then claiming how great it will be when BYU goes undefeated and wins a BCS bowl.

Your Cougar logic is pretty funny.

• itake utedueuce
    July 7, 2009 3:33 p.m.

I wanted to read the articles about the utes and see if BYU fans fill the comment lines with tripe, like they do here, problem is no articles. Reality is NO ONE CARES ABOUT THE UTES and that is why you don't get 4 or 5 star recruits. Doesn't matter what you do on the field no one wants to go to your school other than non qualifier's and prop 8 opponents. The U of U is their little piece of heaven.

• Herb Gravy
    July 7, 2009 3:31 p.m.

Oh, I can hardly wait until the season starts. Oh, whoopeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

• Howie
    July 7, 2009 3:19 p.m.

Stop your drooling Mr. Harmon...Florida and USC's walk ons probably rank higher than BYU's recruiting class. Until Bronco recruits DBs and WRs that have real speed BYU fans will have to be statisfied with winning the MWC and an occasional bowl game.

• so many naysayers
    July 7, 2009 3:07 p.m.

The recruits haven't shown anything on the D-1 level yet, but it's not like the stars mean nothing. These are players who have been closely evaluated and have a chance to be great. That's not to say the lower star players aren't good, but the players are ranked as some of the top high school players in the nation, and pursued by some of the top programs in the nation for a reason.

• SJ
    July 7, 2009 3:05 p.m.

re: RE: RE: Why...? | 2:18 p.m.

• Dave
    July 7, 2009 2:55 p.m.

Hopefully by the time the class of 2010 are playing for the Y they've found a football coach with a clue. In fact they are selling clues for coaches at the U of U for anyone interested. I think Urban left a few and Kyle has a few you can rent. They finally bought one in Logan, perhaps after the Y loses to the Aggies Gary will rent one to Bronco too. Oh and I've got a question for the true blue BYU fans, how does humility and quest for perfection play out in the same locker room? er, it already did!!!!! hahahaha!

• A Little Friendly Advice
    July 7, 2009 2:54 p.m.

The U has a much better football history overall. The problem is that all of you 30-40 loser zoobies living in your mom's basement were raised in the Lavell years and you think that history starts with Lavell. A little advice.... move out and get your own place, aim higher than the work-at-home multi level marketing schemes, watch more ESPN classic and less KBYU reruns, and hit up the 30 and over singles ward for a date.

UTAH OWNS YOU PAST PRESENT AND FUTURE!

• Digbads
    July 7, 2009 2:46 p.m.

I love the job that Coach Mendenhall has been doing. I love the things he emphasizes with his team. I'm so very grateful to have him coach.

Keep up the good work coach!

• BYU
    July 7, 2009 2:44 p.m.

wow. think of the guys you could get if you could make a BCS game.

• Ernest T. Bass
    July 7, 2009 2:39 p.m.

The more can do the more I see that it is funny that you guys are not very good. I am gladly accepted upon by the fans here.

• RE: 25 years
    July 7, 2009 2:29 p.m.

Sorry, I only brought up the last 25 years because Ute fans were complaining about dwelling in the past. I could really care less.

• Wow
    July 7, 2009 2:29 p.m.

Utah has a better all-time record, more bowl wins, and double the Conference Titles. Ouch.

• Waste of talent
    July 7, 2009 2:28 p.m.

it's too bad these quality recruits won't have a chance to practice with pads, or become better players because they're coached into mediocrity. hahahahahaha, if they wanted to wear Aggie blue they should've gone to Logan, if they wanted to win they should've gone to U of U. I think I'd jump off a bridge if I had to listen to Bronc's "pep" firesides every day. Hopefully the LB, Ho Ching from Alta decides to play somewhere else because he's got a shot to be a great football player in college.

• DRLL
    July 7, 2009 2:23 p.m.

This is good stuff for fans to spend their time on during the off-season, but I believe I have seen Dickie H. proclaim every BYU recruiting class for the last 5 years to be BYU's best ever. Recruiting classes are only judged at the end of seasons, not at the beginning. So let's hope at least half of these guys remain academically eligible, don't end up in legal trouble, don't transfer because they aren't used to sitting on their prima donna rear ends for a few years while others play can you imagine a 17 year old kid who calls his own presser to announce his college decision being happy about sitting on the bench for two years?), and actually live up to their billing.

• Dave
    July 7, 2009 2:21 p.m.

It doesn't matter how many superstar recruits BYU gets, if the coach can't coach what good will it do. I'm sure these guys are looking forward to half-speed practices and no pad practices and firesides each T-Th-Sat-Sun and FHE on Monday's. It's too bad all of that talent is going to be wasted in zoobieville.

• RE: RE: Why...?
    July 7, 2009 2:18 p.m.

Check the all time facts boys:

BYU is 494-372-26 (.553), the U is 607-418-31 (.589)

BYU is 9-17-1 (.352) in bowl games, U is 12-3 (.800)

BYU has 13 conference titles, U has 26 Conference Titles

BYU fans are ridiculous. Utah owns you this decade, and all time. The only thing you have ever had was a nice little run in the 70's and 80's. Grow up and face the truth --- UTAH OWNS YOU PAST PRESENT AND FUTURE!

• Ute Outsider
    July 7, 2009 2:17 p.m.

BYU 2008 10-2 still 3rd place in the MWC. Bwaaaaaahaaaahaaa.

• RE: 25 Years
    July 7, 2009 2:11 p.m.

If you're bringing up past performance, why only 25 years? Why not the complete history:

BYU is 494-372-26 (.553), the U is 607-418-31 (.589)

BYU is 9-17-1 (.352) in bowl games, U is 12-3 (.800)

BYU has 13 conference titles, U has 26 Conference Titles

• Re: Why...?
    July 7, 2009 2:04 p.m.

That's a great analogy. Unfortunately, Erkel kicked your trash 2 out of the last 3 years, Erkel has finished three consecutive ten win seasons where Erkel was nationally ranked and won two of three bowl games, Erkel's national fan base blows yours out of the water, Erkel's head coach has more conference titles than yours and Erkel has a football tradition (top ten finishes, NC, Heisman, NFL MVP's and Super Bowl Victors) that you are not even close to realizing.

I'm not sure what constitutes "beating up" zooby's verbally, but I assure you we haven't seen anything close to that on this message board today. I guess if obnoxious comments are synonymous with "beating up" someon on a message board then let me put a little annoying beat down on you. After four seasons at Utah, Whittingham has the same number of ten win seasons and conference titles as Gary Crowton in his four year tenure at BYU just before he "resigned." Utah football, a tradition since 2004!

• Re: Why?
    July 7, 2009 2:01 p.m.

You just proved my point, you gather your self-esteem by picking on the so-called "Erkel" kids and try to put other people down (I'm not a shrink, but sounds like insecurity to me). Most of us already passed the 7th grade, you might want to do the same bro.

Were you the Erkel kid growing up or something and now you have a chip on your shoulder?

I really could care less about Ute articles, I occasionally read them if it's signifigant regarding the MWC, but the Utah fan obsession with BYU football is very weird and border-line disturbing.

• RE: 25 years
    July 7, 2009 1:53 p.m.

In the last 25 years...
    BYU is 216-98-2, the U is 174-120-1.
    BYU is 6-6-1 in bowl games, U is 12-0
    BYU has 13 conference titles, U has 5

• David H.
    July 7, 2009 1:44 p.m.

BYU does recruit bigger and better players. They have failed on the speed end. That said, however, the truth is that the BYU coachin staff is predictable. The players are better but they cannot win all the games when the opponent has a superior game plan.

• David H
    July 7, 2009 1:39 p.m.

I hate the BCS but it does do something good. It would assure that a team like the 1984 BYU team could never win a National Title. I hate the format but a team needs to actually schedule some decent opponents and play in a bowl against a decent opponent.

• Why....?
    July 7, 2009 1:07 p.m.

It's pretty simple actually. Not jealousy, not insecurity, not little brother complex, not obsession with your cute little program. None of those things. The truth is that it is quite entertaining to verbally beat up on our zooby little brothers to the south in these boring summer sports months. I guess you could compare it to picking on the nerdy kid with glasses in elementary school - we should be more mature and abstain from such childish behavior, but it is just so much fun to tease Erkel about how nerdy he is.

• R E S P E C T
    July 7, 2009 12:46 p.m.

should be a two way street. Utes should respect the winning tradition of BYU football. Cougs should respect what Utah has done recently with big BCS wins. This rivalry is a fun one, but there's a lot of immaturity involved on both sides. That's the part I wouldn't miss at all if I moved to Alaska.

• Dan
    July 7, 2009 12:36 p.m.

Lets see BYU barely beat a 6-5 Michigan team.
    Which nearly Ohio St.
    So Utah's great team, and it was great should have had three loses and NO BCS game.

• Why Utes Fans?
    July 7, 2009 12:22 p.m.

Do you guys care so much about BYU football? I don't read Ute articles unless it's about someone going to the NFL or a charity function. Are you guys really that insecure?

• RE:LP Grad
    July 7, 2009 11:55 a.m.

Please BYU also lost to New Mexico that same year, the worst loss of a defending champion in history.Sounds like someone else has a selective memory. Anyway who counts what a team does the following year,typical BYU.

• Itake Uteduece
    July 7, 2009 11:49 a.m.

Beat Alabama finished ranked #2 and no one, including recruitscares, welcome to the University of Utah. The ugly red headed stepchild.

• LP Grad, BYU Alum
    July 7, 2009 11:47 a.m.

RE: NCAA Chumps

Guess you're forgetting that Washington team BYU played in '85...they didn't want to play BYU in '84 and many thought they shoulda been '84 champs. Well, they didn't lose any talent that year, and BYU drubbed them by 28 points, 31-3 in '85. Any doubt about the '84 cougs was forgotten in '85 after the wins over BC and Washington. Guess you have selective memory...

• Anonymous
    July 7, 2009 11:47 a.m.

I love Bronco's comment that it doesn't matter how many stars you come in with but how many you have when you finish.

If that isn't some weird way to apply eternal progression to college athletics then I don't know what is.

Either that or Bronco has learned its not about silly quests but rather how you finish a season than what you expect when you start.

• cougarman
    July 7, 2009 11:42 a.m.

ive always wondered why utah fans read byu articles and then comment. i never read utah articles. who cares about them. its nice to know that utah fans care about byu.

• LP Grad, BYU Alum
    July 7, 2009 11:38 a.m.

RE: a little early?

It's not too early. Letter of Intent day is not until February, after these kinds' senior year has ended. Until that time, BYU can withdraw scholarship offers, the kids can go elsewhere, anything can happen. So to answer your question, it's definitely NOT too early to recruit these guys.

BYU is mastering their recruiting scheme, definitely the best in the country with what they have to work with (honor code, religious affiliation). I doubt any other coaches in the country could do as well as Bronco with all the restrictions he has.

I echo previous comments that it is pointless to argue about which team is better. But I am happy that BYU is establishing dominance again, with three ten win seasons in a row, getting enough respect to play OK come September. FYI, BYU was chosen not because it would be an easy win for OK. They were chosen because they have had three consecutive top-25 finishes, they are a powerhouse that will draw a huge crowd and even larger television audiences. In a world governed by the dollar, I'm glad that BYU is marketable to the entire nation.

• NCAA CHUMPS
    July 7, 2009 11:28 a.m.

The worst national championship in NCAA history..
    Beat a 4th place Michigan team that was 4th in their conference to win the title. Everyone in the country knows it not just UTE fans

• Who Woulda Thunk?
    July 7, 2009 11:22 a.m.

Wow, another article that is followed by the Utes hating the kougs, the Cougs hating Yewts; who would of thunk. Guess that is what makes this a rivalry. Utes clinging to their almost there's (consilation BCS games to the National Title); and the Cougs haning on to their '84. You gotta love it.

Not defending BYU's recruiting philosophy; but Ute fans get a clue, they are no different than any other top program in the country. The USC's, Ohio St., Florida's, Texas, etc all have 20 or so 2010 scholarships offered already also. Recruiting has evolved, College BBall recruits 8th and 9th graders now, and College Football recruits Sophs and Juniors now.

• It is all about BYU baby!!
    July 7, 2009 11:18 a.m.

Having so many Ute fans posting on BYU boards is a huge compliment to BYU. So, don't let it worry you too much. Notice that about half of the posts are from UTE fans. Many of these guys spend more time on the BYU articles and boards than 99% of the BYU fans. They are passionate about BYU football and can't get enough. It is all about BYU baby or they would not be here. Even though their comments are negative, their passion for BYU (positive or negative) shows their respect for BYU, which is fantastic for BYU. I love seeing the UTE fans all over the BYU boards. Like I said, it is all about BYU baby.

• Coug in Indiana
    July 7, 2009 10:55 a.m.

Obviously the 1984 National championship is not meaningless to cougar fans, anymore than Utah's success in the NCAA basketball tournament is meaningless to Utah fans. Neither reflect the recent level of acheivement of their respective teams, but if Utah had won an NCAA championship in football or basketball in 1984 don't you think their fans would be crowing about it.

• 2 out of the 3
    July 7, 2009 10:54 a.m.

BYU football has a storied history of great things, so does Utah to some extent, what I don't understand is why all the put down talk from the Utes , when the cougars have won 2 out of the last 3. Can't get much more modern than that. no need for talk about that national championship , heisman, doak walker etc, Just 2 out of the last 3, nuff said

• A little early?
    July 7, 2009 10:49 a.m.

Wouldn't it be better to get recruits after their senior year in high school? Who's to say these juniors will still be highly regarded after another season of high school football. Not only is it too early to say these players will be great in college it's still too early to say they are even great recruits.

• Cotton Bowl
    July 7, 2009 10:41 a.m.

I never hear much about the 1996 Cotton bowl Champion Cougars that finished ranked 5th in the country by ewe fans. That was a nice victory over a good Kansas State team on New Years Day. It was in my opinion just as much a quailty win as the ewe victory over power house pitt in the 2004 BCS. I believe both team finised ranked 5th.

• Amen jefe57!
    July 7, 2009 10:32 a.m.

61 days (44 working days) until the season begins!

• The Truth
    July 7, 2009 10:20 a.m.

The truth is that it is just too much fun to see some of you zoobs get all riled up. Utah fans love their team and are very passionate about Utah athletics.

Sometimes it's just fun to throw a firecracker in the zooby beehive and watch the meltdown. If you don't like it zoobs, quit reading the comment boards and get back to work at your multi-level marketing schemes, err, I mean jobs.

• BYU recruits
    July 7, 2009 10:12 a.m.

Am I the only one that is a little bit alarmed that so many of our commitments are from the state of Utah? It was painful at times last year to see our skill position players be outclassed and burned by the likes of CSU and UNLV, not to mention Arizona, TCU, and ugg- Utah. We need to get faster, and I don't see it in this starry class.

• jefe57
    July 7, 2009 10:09 a.m.

2010 looks promising. I'm more interested in 2009. Who's going to start at corner besides Brandon Bradley? Who will take Tialavea's place. Will our DB's beat last years interception total. (Was it two?) Will the new o-line jell or dissappoint? Will Max Hall, Unga and others have great years? Hopefully the class of 2010 won't be a bust like Ben O. I'm looking forward to football in two months. Go Cougs!!

• Don
    July 7, 2009 10:09 a.m.

As a Y graduate and having sisters who went to Utah I have only one comment to make. Ute and Cougar football fans should hurry and plan a vacation to Oklahoma(my Graduate school)or Norte Dame near where I grew up and look in their football trophy cases and then take a step back and realize this: Byu and Utah are infants in College football, never win based on recruiting class ratings and are usually over rated playing in a weaker conference. That is not to take away from the Ute win over Alabama(sure fun to watch especially as the National Media and ESPN ate crow) or Byu putting up some ten win seasons back to back to etc... But reality is this, Until you play regular season games in conference week after week against ranked teams and carry a solid non-conference schedule even a BCS Bowl win is taken lightly! Yes anyone can beat anyone on a given week like the Ute win, but you can bet that Alabama will be there again while who knows with BYU or Utah! Lets hope for a great season for both and then 10 or 12 more to talk.

• Biased
    July 7, 2009 10:07 a.m.

The d-news comment monitor is a biased cougar lover who is not letting through any Ute comments with sound logic.

• BYU is a great program
    July 7, 2009 10:03 a.m.

Everyone has to make comparisons to try to justify their existence. It's all just stupid "keeping up with the jones" jabber. After three straight ten win seasons including two MWC titles, BYU is doing just fine. This year's recruiting class demonstrates that BYU is still on the right track as a strong program. This doesn't take anything away from a great Utah program so I'm not sure why Utes feel the need to get on here and blab about their BCS victories, try to explain the math behind recruit rankings, or explain how Bronco's early recruiting philosophy is a mistake. It just screams inferiority complex.

BYU's 2009 class was a down year with only one four star recruit (Van Noy) who won't even join the team until 2010. Nobody said 2009 was BYU's best recruiting year ever. Also, we all know that what happens on the field matters the most, but recruiting is where it all begins so stop saying recruiting means nothing. It matters and coaches and fans all know it. If it doesn't mean anything then stop reading and commenting on the articles.

• UTAH FOOTBALL
    July 7, 2009 10:02 a.m.

Where perfection is not a quest - it's a habit.

• UTAH FOOTBALL
    July 7, 2009 9:59 a.m.

No slogan required.

• wait
    July 7, 2009 9:57 a.m.

Let me go buy a piece of the turf at Utah, so I can sleep with and party with it, it was nice seeing Utah succeed, but your program has been and will be in shambles before too long, coach whit wears to tight of shirts, he will eventually have loosen up.

• Sundial
    July 7, 2009 9:56 a.m.

A sundial is needed to time BYU's skill positions in the 40 yard dash.

• AT LEAST
    July 7, 2009 9:54 a.m.

At least this years batch of recruits is not full of recruit drinking parties on BYU's campus with current players, and recruits getting DUI's after making their commitments (Van Noy).

Although I do find it a little curious that the biggest news of this class was announced in a bar, albeit a sports bar. Heaps will be a lush too most likely.

• SJ
    July 7, 2009 9:53 a.m.

re: Nat'l Champs | 9:07 a.m.

You are either a young fan or you do not understand the rivalry very well. The concept is this: ANY advantage (real or imaginary) either fan base can use against the other MUST be exploited for all it's worth in an attempt to one-up the other and at least appear superior, especially during the off-season when there isn't much else to talk about.

• BYU dominence
    July 7, 2009 9:51 a.m.

BYu is the greatest champion in the state. I don't care if i was only 2 years old when my mighty cougars won the national championship.

• Recruiting talk
    July 7, 2009 9:51 a.m.

BYU's recruiting class for 2010 is exciting to be sure. Of course, unless the hype plays out on the field it won't matter, but for now it is fun to be a fan and consider the possibilities.

I don't know why some kids wait forever to commit to a program. If they were making a paycheck it would make sense to hold out for more money. But if a college wants you and you want to play for that school there's no sense in waiting. I think it is great that BYU knows what they want, can evaluate it early, and can make an offer as soon as possible. Anyone who thinks BYU isn't getting great recruiting, the kind that any team in the MWC would be jealous of, is just talk.

As for the Ute fans commenting here, that's exactly what I'm hearing--talk: blah blah blah blah blah

• Magic Happens .... oops
    July 7, 2009 9:48 a.m.

No stupid Quest, no investments, no magic ........................ just wins.

• Doesn't mattter
    July 7, 2009 9:45 a.m.

BYU will lose at least 4 games next year..Not a hater just facts.

• pj Galoolie
    July 7, 2009 9:42 a.m.

to 1984
    Football is not played on a "court". Try a "field" Einstein!

• Boise Coug
    July 7, 2009 9:20 a.m.

Any evaluation about BYU's recruits is so different than any other team in the country because a majority of them will not see the field for at least 3 years. Mendenhall needs every advantage he can get because he has the toughest job (when combining honor code with mission delays) putting talent on the field in the country. Name any coach in the country who would want the majority of his recruits to basically stop all football and athletic development for 2 years at their athletic prime. And add to that some who decide to do it a couple of years into their playing career - our 2 d-linemen who up and decided to go on a mission after starting a couple of years. The success BYU does have is that much more impressive considering what they have to overcome. Utah and USU deals with it on a much smaller scale.

With that said, I'm afraid that none of this talk will matter this season. BYU, Utah and TCU can be as good as they want to be and the best will still be headed to Vegas. BECAUSE BSU WILL BE THIS SEASON'S BCS BUSTER!!

• re: Nat'l Champs
    July 7, 2009 9:07 a.m.

You can't get through one article about BYU football without some fan bringing up the national championship that was 25 years ago. Guys, bringing this up just shows that we don't have anything in the present that we can hang our hats on when comparing ourselves to the Utes. Lets face it, we all wanted an undefeated season and a BCS game last year. Everyone was writing us in to a BCS game early on. Some national sports figures were talking about BYU in the national championship game. Then, in a 2 game span, the Utes pulled the rug out from under us ans stole what we all wanted (fans like me as well as the coach and team at BYU). Can we all just stop pretending that the national championship makes us a better team. I'm waiting for something in this century to be excited about. I'm hoping all these high-starred recruits will lead us where Utah has recently been (twice).

So, please stop it with the 1984. Lets focus on the present and how we can get the spotlight back from Utah!!!

• re: 1984?
    July 7, 2009 9:01 a.m.

It seems to matter in the NCAA records which is more than will be noted for your #2 ranking. Oh and by the way, there is no asterik except in your mind because it just burns Ute fans that BYU has something Utah doesn't just like it irritates us BYU fans that our team hasn't gotten to a BCS bowl yet.

• aj arizona
    July 7, 2009 8:57 a.m.

Well one thing is for sure Ute fan. You will never have a National Championship trophy in Football to be tarnished.

Let alone see a Heisman, 2 Outlands, Davey O'Briens, Sammy Baugh's or Doak Walker trophies. 55 All-Americans, 11 being consensus, I doubt we will ever see College Hall of Famers, let alone 6 of them, soon to be 7 with Detmer.

Nor will we see a Super Bowl MVP or an NFL MVP (2), etc. Remember, that '84 team had 16 players draw paychecks in the Pros. Your insults of BYU's achievement shows your utter ignorance and jealousy.

BYU was the consensus number one by AP, UPI, Macarthur Bowl and Grantland Rice. The only two that mattered were UPI and AP, of course.

Enjoy your two BCS trophies, 10 teams a year play in those games. BYU will get there one day, but will Utah ever match BYU's other achievements.

Who has the tougher challenge to equal the other?
    Legacy is built over generations, Ute fan, you have a long way to go to catch up

• Call me The Dude
    July 7, 2009 8:43 a.m.

RE: Math Lessen

You got the equation right but the comclusion is still wrong! Let's see, 20 players have already decided they want to play for BYU against 6 who consider your place. BYU is three times more popular than your place! That is the main conclusion of today's recruiting developement.

• re: True Red
    July 7, 2009 8:35 a.m.

True Red wrote:
    "Re:Utah Fodder---haaaa haaaaa.....dream on Fodder Boy...love reading a good joke early in the morning!"

And yet here you are proving his point about Ute fans, Thanks for playing come back when you can do better.

• Re: Math Lessen
    July 7, 2009 8:34 a.m.

Learn to spell before you start teaching us math. How embarrassing for you. If you want to beat the stereotype, hit the books. Now where are you, I called in that pizza order hours ago?

• SJ
    July 7, 2009 8:32 a.m.

Let's see if I understand this. If BYU fans are expected (by Utes) to stop living in the past and forget about the 1984 football championship because it was 25 years ago and supposedly no longer relevant then why do Utah fans continue to boast about their basketball championship that was what 50 years ago? Talk about hypocrisy......

• 1984?
    July 7, 2009 8:32 a.m.

Barely beat a 6-5 Michigan team on your home court that was Jack Murphy Stadium. Michigan didn't want to be there. If undefeated was the measure of National Champs, then Utah has two national championships. We all know that there were nine or ten teams that would have slaughtered BYU in 1984. That is why there will always be an asterick by your 1984 National Championship because it only matters in Provo. Nobody else believes it because it didn't happen.

• Ernest T. Bass
    July 7, 2009 8:23 a.m.

So much speed in this group, just like always.

• True Red
    July 7, 2009 8:17 a.m.

Edward C.!!!!!! Man, did U hit the nail on the head!

I thought this was an article about how Donko does not put any weight on the "ranking gooos"? Yet all the Zoobies are whining about the BCS Utes--LOL

• Knowwhat
    July 7, 2009 8:13 a.m.

I think Bronco is talking about that his players leave with a gold or silver star on their forehead.

• Math Lessen
    July 7, 2009 7:56 a.m.

Silly Cougar fans. Here's a quick lessen in simple mathematics.

When a ranking system is based on TOTAL points accumlated throughout a process, it's completely irrelevant to judge these rankings before the survey is complete.

That might be too complex for someone like Dick Harmon, and the Cougar fans on this board, but here's what it means. BYU's class has some very nice pieces in it and looks terrific right now because Bronco has already guaranteed 20 of his scholarships. When you add up 20 samples and are comparing them to say 6 like Utah has, of course the 20 will provide a larger sum. You guys should have learned that in second grade.

BYU's class this year looks very similar to Utah's last year. Utah had 1 5-star, 2 4-stars, and many 3-stars, and you know where that shook out when classes were complete....about 30-40. BYU will end up in that same area as teams finish up their classes next February. When that happens, will Mr. Harmon be commenting again? Probably not.

• The Bard Says...
    July 7, 2009 7:50 a.m.

It's so funny that there are far more BYU fan comments on this thread warning/whYning about terrible "Yewt" fan comments than there are comments by Utah fans.

"Thou doth protest to much."

• THEeyepatch
    July 7, 2009 7:40 a.m.

With the Utes going undefeated, the Coug's need to put in gear. How unfortunate that the rival team that BYU has always considered inferior the best team in the nation [bias opinion]. GO UTES!

• National Champion Trophy
    July 7, 2009 7:37 a.m.

Still hanging your hats on that trophy from 25 yrs. ago huh? That thing should be getting a little tarnished by now I would think.

Welcome to the 21st century. Nobody cares about what happened 25 yrs. ago. Get over it already!!

• re:byu
    July 7, 2009 7:27 a.m.

It must be hard having so little to cheer for these past two decades. You can come up to the hill and have a look at our bcs trophies if you would like. They were actually won in your life time and come from much more prestigious bowls than your little holiday bowl win over a crappy 6-5 michigan team.

Utah: we don't Quest or Invest, we just win BCS Bowls.

• c-ran
    July 7, 2009 7:26 a.m.

Hay disclaimer if my memory services me it was not too long ago I heard a lot of u fans willing to trade coaches with the Y

• RE: BYU
    July 7, 2009 7:21 a.m.

Haha, still living in 1984 is see. Have fun polishing that antiquated trophy.

• Utah Fodder
    July 7, 2009 7:13 a.m.

After the best year in program history Ute fans still suffer from a painful inferiority complex even when there is no reason to feel inferior (consider the rivalry and all that Utah has accomplished over the last ten years). Utah remains the little brother not because of what happens on the field but because its fan base acts like little brother.

Edward C. - Last year was a down year for BYU recruiting by all accounts so apparently the "long time" you've been around doesn't extend beyond 2009.

Howard S. - Utah has a long history of "demolishing 4 and 5 star recruits" that goes way back to 2008.

I love how Utes can say rankings are "nothing more than a crock" and spout off about BYU's fake national championship (based on rankings) but then beat their chests about their #2 ranked team. It's kind of funny to watch. The reality is that rankings of teams and recruiting classes are just educated guesses. Of course it's what happens on the field that matters, but if any Ute fan thinks Whittingham wouldn't take BYU's 2010 recruiting class in a heartbeat they're dillusional.

• Um...
    July 7, 2009 7:12 a.m.

I promise you this Dick. If BYU gets a top ten class the BYU PR guys will be popping off about a "top ten" recruiting class. Do you know how they rank recruiting classes? by stars... So people do care about the star system as long as they get recruits.

Also, BYU is #14 primarily because it is based on total points (total stars) rather than average star rank and since bYu has more recruits, they have an inflated rating. THus, when the big boys solidify their classes they'll surpass BYU.

• BYU
    July 7, 2009 6:36 a.m.

Its so funny how all the yewt fans come out of the woodwork when there is a article about byu. I could carless what the yewt fans think about byu. Until you actually are national champs you can talk.Come down to provo and see what a national champion trophy looks like . You will never get one up there little bro

• every year
    July 7, 2009 6:15 a.m.

Every year is supposedly the best class BYU has ever had. Yet this last season our team was the most unathletic bunch I have ever seen. Colorado State and Unlv took us to the last second of the game with their superior athletes at the skill positions. I won't even mention how slow Utah and TCU made us look.

Bottom line: Dick Harmons propaganda pieces do more harm than good to Cougar Nation. Unrealistic expectations that make our defeats even more bitter to swallow. Dick needs to hang it up and let someone else take the beat. Dick is leading us astray.

• Anonymous
    July 7, 2009 5:56 a.m.

I always hope for the best with the Utah teams. It will be interesting to see what BYU's DB's look like in speed & mechanics. This has been the most disapointing part of the BYU program, speed and defense. Lets wish for a great year for all Utah teams. Looking forward to see what Utah creates after such a fabulous year. TCU looks like the pwoer this year, they always have great speed and aggressive linemen. Football is KING in sports.

• utefan
    July 7, 2009 4:18 a.m.

Gosh, Dick, after reading this article I am sure you are going to want to write another fantasy...err article about how great BYU's chances are to win the national championship this year! To Hi Ute Fans: real fans are fanatics...that's the etymology of the word; so I guess you aren't as fanatical as many of us Utah Fans are. But being second to Utah in everything is OK with us!

• Hi Ute Fans
    July 7, 2009 1:01 a.m.

Love that I get on to read articles about my own team, the Cougars, only to see most Utah fans reading it as well. I couldn't care less about your team but you sure seem to care about mine. So welcome. Enjoy talking about BYU football, because I'm sure not going to, nor care to, talk about Utah Football.

• Wow
    July 7, 2009 12:31 a.m.

Utah comes in ranked at 62nd...watch out! ha ha

• And it continues...
    July 7, 2009 12:29 a.m.

BYU will never be replaced as Utah's team.

• News?
    July 7, 2009 12:19 a.m.

Hey Dick, why don't you tell us something we don't know?
    Bronco has used this tactic since he became a coach!
    I think he does it to get all of us cougar fans to come back after a disapointing end to the season. Good luck with this recruiting class.

• Disclaimer
    July 7, 2009 12:19 a.m.

Yes BYU is #14 in recruiting so far but with that being said we need to place a disclaimer so there are not ruffled feathers.

*This article is pointless and we all know that Utah is the supreme being of football programs. Utah has better athletes and better coaching and will always be "better" in every way when compared to BYU.

There you go you big babies. Now you don't have to waste all of your time worrying about what the Cougars are doing.

• A football article...
    July 7, 2009 12:15 a.m.

With no mention of #2 Utah????

Waahhh waaahhh Wahhhh Wahhh.

*can I have a tissue*

• The big pay off
    July 7, 2009 12:06 a.m.

It is great to see all the results coming from winning a BCS game and finishing #2!... wait the article is about BYU?.... Ok I will get in the back seat and ride on the hump where I belong.

• Edward C.
    July 6, 2009 11:14 p.m.

I've been around a loooong time and I can tell you that every year is BYU's best recruiting class ever.

This year is no different.

• Howard S.
    July 6, 2009 10:44 p.m.

The Utes love to demolish 4 and 5 star recruits.

• Anonymous
    July 6, 2009 10:30 p.m.

Ladies and Gentlemen:
    I present to you: the inevitable negative comments from Utah fans.

Read below....

• Anonymous
    July 6, 2009 10:26 p.m.

I would be willing to bet that the Alabama team Utah walked all over last January was filled with five star players and recruiting classes that ranked in at least the top 25 every year.

So how valid are those rankings? Let's just get to September and start playing the games.