Crash kills Hill pilot

N.C. native was flying F-16 on training range

• GBs Brother
    July 15, 2009 3:14 p.m.

GB, I love you Bro. I miss you so much. As I recover here at home I keep looking at my phone hoping to see your name in the caller ID block...but I am coming to terms with never hearing your voice until we meet at Heavens Gates. To all 421st, Keep strong! And remember what ICE wanted...to take out some moojahs with some LGBs. Fight Strong, Fight Hard, Return with Honor HOKAHEY.
    A warm thank you and hello to all who knew, cared for, and continue to carry on the legacy of a sublime individual.
    - Your brother in arms, PJ Dan

• Carol
    June 27, 2009 11:10 p.m.

George and Josie are one of the nicest couples you could meet. They were best friends and a joy to be around. She is such a very sweet person and my heart goes out to her for this tragic loss. George was such a genuinely good person, always smiling and making the most of life- one of the best guys we have known. We will continue to pray for Josie and his family as this is so much to bear without God's loving grace.

• Ed Hoglen
    June 27, 2009 8:44 p.m.

I've known G.B. from the time he was born.He came from one of most patriotic families I have ever known. Saw him grow up to a fine young man. and I was his Scoutmaster (T-48) when he recieved his Eagle Award and have followed his progress all through his career. I have some of the best stories about G.B.. He was the most fun loving guy. A natural leader with many friends. To me he will always be forever young. He lived the motto for God and Country. Please pray for his little brother Daniel as he recovers from his injuries sustained in Afganistan.

• Aunt Caryl
    June 26, 2009 6:19 p.m.

Thank you so much for your kind and comforting prayers and thoughts. George-Bryan was an exceptional person his entire life, I have always been exceedingly proud of him. To say however, that he was 'one of a kind' would not be true, for he leaves behind two brothers as exceptional as he was!

• SchoolFriend
    June 26, 2009 9:20 a.m.

God bless Capt. Houghton for his service and bravery. I teach elementary school at Hill. His sweet and precious wife was on our K-Staff. My tears won't stop for her loss. My prayers are with her and all the family of Capt. Houghton as they comfort one another through this very sad time. 10 years ago I taught a 3rd grader whose father was a pilot, his plane went down in the desert as well. I remember the deep sadness felt by so many. The men and women in our US Military are brave far beyond my comprehension. Mrs. Capt. Houghton, may you know that your sweetheart is safe in the arms of our Heavenly Father. Anything you need... don't hesitate to ask my friend. HUGS

• F-16 Wife
    June 25, 2009 10:22 p.m.

The F-16 community is a small one, and any loss is felt throughout it. My heart and prayers go out to the wife and family of Capt Houghton.

• CHAOS
    June 25, 2009 8:29 a.m.

I knew Capt George Houghton, he was an excellent pilot, officer and person. He worked for me for three years as a young officer and instructor pilot. My thoughts go out to his family and friends. He will be missed.

• AnGe
    June 24, 2009 5:53 p.m.

My son is an F-16 pilot and knew Capt. Hughton, who is a hero in all our eyes and hearts. His family is in my prayers.

• Sawadee
    June 24, 2009 12:14 p.m.

"Ice", you will live in our hearts always. You and you family are true patriots. There are heavy hearts in North Carolina, Utah and everywhere George touched and influenced people. The 421st will get through this and be stronger for your sacrifice. Sawadee Ice.

• SN
    June 24, 2009 9:19 a.m.

May the Lord bless and comfort Capt. Houghton's wife and family. I am very proud of our service members for their brave and continuous sacrifice. My husband is also a Captain in the Air Force and I pray for him always. To his wife, be strong, God said " He would never leave us or forsake us."

• 421
    June 24, 2009 9:13 a.m.

As a member of the 421st family, I will say that George was one of the best guys I've ever met. He is truly, truly missed by his family, friends, and his Air Force Family. God Speed Ice.

• North Carolina
    June 24, 2009 7:38 a.m.

Your son gave his life in the effort to defend our country, there are not the words to say how sad we are to hear of his death. It is an honor to have had such a man as Capt. Houghton grace the state of Utah. He is an American hero and our hearts go out to him and his family.

• Thank you!
    June 24, 2009 7:37 a.m.

Thank you for your committment to your country, Capt. Houghton! America salutes your sacrifice. May you rest in peace and may your family find peace in knowing you died for all of us.

• Millie
    June 24, 2009 6:20 a.m.

I want to thank all those who serve to protect me and my family...especially my family memebers taht serve for freedom! My prayers goes to the family and friends of this pilot. May God be with each one serving and loving this country.

• Freedom lover
    June 23, 2009 10:46 p.m.

Capt. Houghton died defending our freedom, just as much as if he were lost in combat.

My family appreciates his sacrifices over the years serving our country, and our thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Thank you, and your comrades in arms, and their families, for defending our freedom.

Freedom is not free.

• For: SR Shallenberger
    June 23, 2009 10:46 p.m.

"SR Shallenberger | 8:07 p.m. June 23, 2009
    We have two son's that are fighter pilots. Our hearts stop when any fighter or "man/woman" goes down. We thank George Houghton for putting his life on the line for his country and giving the ultimate sacrifice. George, your family is in our prayers and we will be ever grateful for your priceless sacrifice."

Is one of your sons based in OK right now? If so he's in my ward. Good man.

V/R - "Twister"

• Anonymous
    June 23, 2009 9:32 p.m.

My boyfriend is an F-16 pilot as well, my heart goes out to this young man's family....You are all in my prayers.

• SR Shallenberger
    June 23, 2009 8:07 p.m.

• JF
    June 23, 2009 7:52 p.m.

Our pilots are asked to do things that are incredibly demanding as we fight a war that is more and more complex every year. George Bryan Houghton is a hero, as he prepared to do what few ever do for our nation. Our hearts and prayers go out to his wife, parents and family.

• Anonymous
    June 23, 2009 7:42 p.m.

"It's called age. Those planes are older than the pilots who fly them. The first YF-16 was rolled out on 13 December 1973."

Try driving your car daily at it's maximum design limits for 36 years and see how reliable it stays.
    It's a miracle there haven't been more crashes.
    Actually, F-16s were produced up until 2005. And if you maintained your car as well as the USAF maintains their aircraft, you might be surprised how reliable your car would be.

• re:katamb | 5:03 p.m.
    June 23, 2009 7:09 p.m.

"I can't help but wonder why these planes keep crashing. It's happening more and more."
    ------

It's a miracle there haven't been more crashes.

• RB
    June 23, 2009 6:52 p.m.

God Bless you George Bryan Houghton, and peace be with your family.

This may be [hopefully] the last generation of human pilots.
    Nothing is worse than sending a human in to do what a machine hasn't been able to, until now....

• Jim
    June 23, 2009 5:54 p.m.

While our hearts and prayers go out to the Houghton Familys. May God protect his other two brothers and bring them home safely from this war. Let us hope and pray that something good will come from George Bryans untimely death.

• katamb
    June 23, 2009 5:03 p.m.

While I give my condolences to the family of this young man, I can't help but wonder why these planes keep crashing. It's happening more and more. Is it more planes in the air or less maintenance since the military is always strapped for cash. If this were commercial airliners there would be more of an outcry about all these crashes. These are multi-million dollar, highly sophisticated planes with highly trained and sophisticated American pilots! Where the Congressional inquiry Obama?

• Anonymous
    June 23, 2009 5:00 p.m.

My son is AF and headed to Middle East this month. I am deeply sorry for your loss, Houghton Family. Our prayers and the prayers of this nation are with you. God Bless.

• Anonymous
    June 23, 2009 4:52 p.m.

Extremely sad to hear about a boy losing his life in the line of duty. Best wishes and condolences to the family and his brothers in arms.

• Loodie
    June 23, 2009 4:51 p.m.

My son is career AF and right now is in the Middle East. I pray for his safety everyday and night. No parent should have to bury his child prematurely. God be with you, Houghton family.

• Stewy
    June 23, 2009 4:35 p.m.

My son is a tanker pilot and will be leaving for deployment next month. My heart is just broken tonight. My prayers are with his family and his squadron. He has paid the ultimate price for our freedom. He was among our finest that have given their life for the freedoms and liberties we enjoy today.

• Anonymous
    June 23, 2009 4:33 p.m.

Ref: Nuke It
    Really sad to lose our fighting men anytime. Prayers are with his family. One of the main reasons if not the key reason for not losing pilots over in Afganistan and Iraq is because of the Desert Ranges that we have in Utah, Nevada and California. You couldn't ask for better training areas for Aerial combat operations.

And as far as Nukes go in that area. They used to fire the 175 MM ones from Dugway Proving Grounds in the 60's.... they were the Artillery ones. 175 MM Howitzer rounds fired into the desert bombing and testing range...but nukes none the less. One of the many reasons why the Desert Ranges are off Limits. You never knew ahead of time when they were happening but I used to do a lot of irrigation at night sometimes in the early morning hours....and the whole western sky out beyond the mountain ranges past what is now Eagle Mountain and Saratoga Springs and over Utah Lake would light up for 30 to 40 seconds before it would fade back into darkness...really Spectacular to have seen.

• So unfortunate
    June 23, 2009 3:45 p.m.

Air force pilots are among our best, brightest, and bravest. Thanks to all of them for their service.

• Hipp
    June 23, 2009 3:41 p.m.

Our family is praying for the pilot's family. May God comfort you. We appreciate the service and price your son's have paid for our country. They are hero's and we are so proud of them.

• Anonymous
    June 23, 2009 3:30 p.m.

unfortunately accidents are a part of training, but I hardly agree with nuking the training grounds. the reason we don't lose pilots in afghanistan is because of the rigorous training they go through here. I'd hate to see them perform these maneuvers outside a simulator for the first time in combat, add the stress of being shot at, and a lot more accidents would happen.

• al
    June 23, 2009 3:18 p.m.

Correct home town is Candler, NC. He will be missed

• re UTTR | 2:24 p.m. June 23, 20
    June 23, 2009 2:36 p.m.

the comment was a back handed way of bringing to reminding all that the F-16 has more than its share of crashes, and perhaps money ought to be set aside to get to the root cause and make it safer.

Don't take this personally UTTR, this obviously wasn't aimed at you.

• UTTR
    June 23, 2009 2:24 p.m.

"Nuke it | 2:11 p.m. June 23, 2009
    They ought to nuke the west range, it downs more F-16's than the Taliban and Al Quita combined."

Let me think about that for a minute.

Ah....no.

Come on, don't hide. You voted for Obama, didn't you?

• Former Fuujin
    June 23, 2009 2:17 p.m.

I hope the pilot(s) ejected safely...hang in there, Hill.

• Nuke it
    June 23, 2009 2:11 p.m.

• jefejivaro
    June 23, 2009 2:10 p.m.

It's called "supersonic air space" because pilots can practice combat maneuvers at supersonic speeds (including low-altitude) without cracking windows, etc. and without endangering other aircraft. The air space is restricted from other air traffic. The ground beneath is also restricted (though why anyone would want to venture onto a live bombing range is beyond me!).

• Anonymous
    June 23, 2009 12:52 p.m.

Wow, I didn't know it was used by all branches of the military and NASA. Is it considered supersonic air space because of the sparse population, or does it have to do with the terrain?

• @ Luke
    June 23, 2009 10:09 a.m.

Cool your jets boy--
    My concern right now is with the pilot and his family, including the family of ground crew and fellow pilots as well as staff.
    Anytime a plane goes down it effects everyone in the community. We view them as our brothers and sisters up there and quite frankly, most of us around Hill are Vets and know what it is to lose a brother or sister.
    So Luke, save your anger for another day please.

• Pilot Bob
    June 23, 2009 9:18 a.m.

The Pilot is in our prayers along with his family.

• Good luck
    June 23, 2009 8:10 a.m.

Hopefully they'll find the pilot.