UHP tracks down feisty, exotic bird

• FreetoChoose
    May 28, 2009 2:44 p.m.

Just Thinking II--

Very rewarding, huh? Children and adults can learn about birds and other wildlife seeing them in the their natural habitats--free to do as they like.

What is it about the human that makes him want to capture, possess, and generally restrict the freedom of another living being?

And No, I don't eat meat, wear leather or kill animals for sport.

I appreciate all life for what it is. Too bad more people can't do the same.

• Natalie
    May 26, 2009 10:49 a.m.

When will people learn to leave wild animals alone in their natural habitats?

• gabby
    May 26, 2009 12:02 a.m.

what is the price of this exotic bird??
    help i haved search but no answer lol
    im really curious!

• I think
    May 23, 2009 5:41 p.m.

Dr. Grant was right, birds are decendants of the dinosaurs........LOL!!

Except for the maro, this bird almost look like a velociraptor.....LOL!!

• just thinking II
    May 23, 2009 6:44 a.m.

there are millions of exotic birds in the USA. I used to have 10 pairs of Macaws, and parrots when I lived in USA. All without any permits. not required. I have since moved to Brazil where those same birds fly over my house now. many people breed them. in 6 years I had 135 babies hatched from 8 pair of parrots. a lot more than are produced in the wild. it is a very enjoyable hobby and very educational for kids. every year I would take my babies to the school for the kids to see and they would love it. I would hand feed the babies so the kids could hold them. sometimes they would get loose in the classroom, much to childrens delight they would fly around the room. The teachers were not to happy about this but they were soon captures. Each year when I would return there were always students from the older classes that would gather around to see them again. very rewarding and the kids learned to love the birds in general.

• nooo.....
    May 23, 2009 1:34 a.m.

Somebody bought Big Bird? Times are tough.

• Chachi
    May 23, 2009 12:05 a.m.

Is this the same Richard Davis that proposed quarrying Rock Canyon in order to get Provo City to pay him something for his land there? Or are there three notable Utah County residents named Richard Davis--the exotic bird owner, the frustrated landowner, and the BYU political science professor and Utah County Democrats chair?

• Crazy lookin'
    May 23, 2009 12:00 a.m.

What an unusual looking bird! Is it legal to have such an exotic animal in Utah County? Most other counties in the US have banned exotic animals. Just wondering...

What enticed the owner to purchase two of these birds? That would have been an interesting segway as well, since these aren't your average seagulls.

• @ Katie
    May 22, 2009 11:25 p.m.

The ranch was there before the freeway.

• Anonymous
    May 22, 2009 10:09 p.m.

I saw one of these at a zoo in Australia. It was very beautiful with its multicolors. It followed me around for a long time. A zoo employee said it could smell my cinnamon gum. It was not aggressive and just roamed the zoo. At first I did feel like a raptor was stocking me.

I think the owners were very responsible. They had a good enclosure and warned the public that it was loose. Why isn't anyone mad at the driver for causing such a terrible accident.

• News
    May 22, 2009 9:32 p.m.

According to the Daily Herald in Orem, the bird has been found and captured. No need to worry anymore about running into a strange bird.

• Re: RE: A little feel
    May 22, 2009 5:52 p.m.

I bet that was just a question, nothing more. I live nearby too, so if it is potentially dangerous, and for the safety of the children in the neighborhood, sounds like it is time to get out my shotgun and go hunting.

• RE: A little feel
    May 22, 2009 5:31 p.m.

Just because this bird got loose after a very freak event doesn't mean the owners don't have a permit. How did you jump to this conclusion?

• Miguel
    May 22, 2009 5:10 p.m.

Re Why not notify the neighbors:

Perhaps the police are busy looking for the bird.

• ??????
    May 22, 2009 5:10 p.m.

I'm with hmmm i bet it tastes like chicken no really why would people what to have a bird like that and how did they get it hear any way crazy crazy stuff.

• Why not notify the neighbors?
    May 22, 2009 5:03 p.m.

I live in the neighborhood and have several children, but I had to find out about this online.

I can't understand why the police wouldn't have notified us if it's potentially dangerous.

• Hmmm
    May 22, 2009 4:44 p.m.

I wonder what it tastes like...

• Now
    May 22, 2009 4:27 p.m.

that's what I would call a real "Utah Raptor" on the prowl......LOL!!

I do hope little children in the area don't come across it.

• A little feel....
    May 22, 2009 4:24 p.m.

of Jurrassic Park huh? Why would anyone import and own such a bird like that? Don't people need to get a permit from the Interior Department to own exotic birds?

• Anonymous
    May 22, 2009 4:22 p.m.

How many people know what a cassowary is? I have never heard of it. I found it annoying that the heading to the article seemed to be crafted to make us curious and almost skipped reading it for that reason.

This article should have a heading that would cause parents and pet owners to sit up and take notice. A child or pet could be killed!

• Where's Anonymous?
    May 22, 2009 4:22 p.m.

Anonymous is a vet and has experience in stressful situations. I think his knowledge and methods of persuasion could be most helpful. Does the bird have any pink on its body?

• Anonymous
    May 22, 2009 4:17 p.m.

Just be careful. This bird is looking for dinner and you may be it.

• Clem
    May 22, 2009 4:08 p.m.

The government needs to do much more than it is doing to prevent incicents like this from occurring in the first place.

• Naruto
    May 22, 2009 3:54 p.m.

Only in...Utah?
    Beware, the end is near!

• Katie
    May 22, 2009 3:53 p.m.

poor bird. if you have to follow a trail of blood, that thing is probably really hurt! and to think they put the ranch right by the highway... so stupid.