Teacher salaries, other info could be posted online

• englishteach
    May 12, 2009 8:19 a.m.

I am relocating to Utah. I am a Veteran teacher of sixteen years with a Masters degree. I have a job prospect with a charter school in that area, and I can not find a salary schedule. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can look?

• This is already online
    March 5, 2009 8:59 p.m.

This is published online already. I too just changed districts. I lost seven years of pay. I was only given 10 years of my 17 years of experience. Now they are taking away the amount that they put into my pension. That is another way to show the legislature's hate of teachers. Why are we not respected and appreciated for the amount we work? I also spent $4000 of my own money to provide the things that I need in my classroom to teach science lessons, math lessons, reading lessons and supplies for the classroom when my budget ran out.

• Anonymous
    March 5, 2009 11:54 a.m.

What about Charter School teachers' salaries? They are public school teachers. Currently the Charter Schools do not publish their salary schedules online like the district schools. Will Charter Schools have to publish their teachers' salaries?

• Re: Re: to my ex wife
    March 4, 2009 2:45 p.m.

I changed districts and lost several years...just another way we take it in the seat.

BTW people: Public employee salaries are public knowledge already. No secret.

• Re: to my ex wife
    March 4, 2009 1:15 p.m.

You should switch to a different district. I have taught 13 years with a masters and I make $55,000. (Or are you witholding some of it, so your ex doesn't get it?)

• To My Ex-wife
    March 4, 2009 7:29 a.m.

After teaching for 16 years and acquiring a Master's degree, I make $42,380/yr. gross. That's before I send almost half of it to you and try to support my new family with what's left of the other half after taxes.

Is that what the legislature wants to make readily available?

• What info is posted?
    March 4, 2009 6:06 a.m.

Most information posted now only deals with starting saleries, all grades and tenure rates should be included. This law should also apply to all government jobs, city, county, and state, including the elected officials rates. The law should also include that employees of private business cannot be fired, harassed, or treated unfairly for disclosing or discussing their pay among themselves. Workers have the right to know each others pay and if they are being treated fairly. Too many people working in Utah are brainwashed and that all workers doing the same jboe deserve equal pay. True, what you earn is private information, but how do you know if you aren't being underpaid? Most workers are misinformed by management making them all believe they are getting paid more than their co-workers, but how do they know withut knowing base saleries and pay rates? How do they know if one employee is being paid more than they are doing the same job? They don't. This kind of pay discrimination is prevelent in all jobs in Utah and employees are working in blind trust and faith and lies.

• Redundant
    March 3, 2009 9:12 p.m.

It's already out there if you know where to look. It isn't hard to find. Wasted time in the legislature once again.

• Show it all
    March 3, 2009 4:55 p.m.

Let's have their additional education shown also. Then we can all see that another piece of paper wont make you a better teacher. Pay for performance not tenure and paper. Pay the best teachers more and the dead wood? get rid of it. Unions interfere with paying teachers what they are worth and reduce the take home pay of all teachers.

• Already public information
    March 3, 2009 4:30 p.m.

Every school district lists their salary schedules on-line and share the information publicly already. The only difference is that it may not be common knowledge how long a teacher has been employed or how much education they have acquired since they were first hired (the two methods of increasing pay).

It seems odd that there would be a public outcry for teacher salaries--they already among the lowest in the nation. I am all for letting it become public. Teacher salaries range between $28K-$50K for the most part.

• Can U
    March 3, 2009 4:25 p.m.

Buy fake tickets with fake money to see a fake band?