3rd man arrested in shooting death

Others may be caught in Jordanelle case, official says

• kaydra lynn cowdell
    Sept. 23, 2009 1:26 p.m.

i love you daddy so so so so much

• Jeff R
    Jan. 3, 2009 11:09 a.m.

TO ALL who posted:
    Ok people need to read my comments on 11:35 a.m. Dec. 30, 2008 . That RE. Jeff R was a response about my article and was about how bad guns were. I never made that comment. I am the biggest gun advocate you will meet. Please dont misunderstand me and my views. That post was not me, hence the title "RE: Jeff R". I am for concealed weapons permits and open carry. MOLON LABE! Please read me comment on 11:35 a.m. Dec. 30, 2008 and see my real views and what i said, not some gun hating idiot that is paraniod of gun carriers.

• awsomeron
    Dec. 31, 2008 9:55 p.m.

I am Not Sure why this person was lose in the 1st place. I would hope that he would never be loose again.

• Deedra
    Dec. 31, 2008 10:22 a.m.

Re: BRAVO, and what do you know about religion?

Re: Emily, Yeah, you are right , some of these bad boys force themselves upon these young girls and get them pregnant, and then leave them. Then our society has the nerve to look down on the Mother. It makes no sense to me when their are other girls who go around sleeping with one guy after another and never get pregnant because they are on birth control pills. We sure live in a evil and mixed up world. These young men who killed this young woman (MOTHER) should pay the ultimate price for what they have done to here. They have left this womans little baby without a mom. Very sad indeed.

• Orygunner
    Dec. 31, 2008 9:56 a.m.

Tracy: You are absolutely correct, but at the same time absolutely wrong.

A gun in the house is more likely to be used in the death of someone living there, but there's much more to it than the statement explains.

More than HALF of all firearm related deaths are SUICIDES. So you would think "Get rid of guns, that will go away, right?" Wrong. It's been proven that if you ban one method of suicide, such as firearms, it has no effect on the suicide rate whatsoever. In Japan, where firearms are almost completely banned, they have a higher suicide rate than the united states.

The rest of the firearms deaths are mostly pure murder, mostly by criminals, which are not going to obey any gun control laws anyway. Very few firearms deaths are actual accidents. Those firearms accidents that do occur in the home are almost always the failure of safe storage or failure to follow proper firearms safety rules.

Another fact ignored is that most crimes are stopped WITHOUT even firing a shot, and in very very few (1 in about 7000-25000 cases) does the attacker get shot and die.

In summary, your statement is bogus.

• Mike Tyson
    Dec. 31, 2008 9:42 a.m.

It's like on the show "Cops". If you don't want to get arrested, put on a shirt.
    If you don't want to attract police attention, try to minimize the tats on yer grill.

• Svoboda
    Dec. 31, 2008 9:17 a.m.

The guy arrested is very creepy looking. Geez, why do people disfigure themselves like that?

• Matt
    Dec. 31, 2008 8:55 a.m.

Obviously the murders are to blame, but it sounded like the girl had been threatened. And if she was a drug informant, shouldn't she have had more protection?

• Anonymous
    Dec. 31, 2008 8:42 a.m.

Dear Tracy,
    Please give links to a study .. any study . that shows the results you claim. Please try to find at least one that is not from Handgun Control / Brady Bunch. Then read John Lott's book More Guns, Less Crime. A little education probably won't cure your uninformed attitudes about firearms but probably wouldn't hurt you at all.

• RH
    Dec. 31, 2008 8:35 a.m.

Tracy, obviously, you only read left wing articles, books, etc. to get your info. Try reading other info out there! The "Gun Ban" nuts only want you to read their garbage and not be truly informed with the facts. People harm people and a gun is only a tool that needs a PERSON to operate it and cause harm. The facts show that crime has gone down in the states that have right to carry laws. Google that and get the facts correct. I carry a concealed and do not have any desire to harm someone, stranger or family, but for protection of self and family. Law abiding citizens exercising their constituional right!

• JOHNJ
    Dec. 31, 2008 7:59 a.m.

It's interesting to see how everyone is feeding on this guy. Most Hated, he loves that all the neg comments. That will surely boost his super ego. Notice he has a briuse under his left eye the girl was fighting for her life. So very sad. Members of this gang should take a look at their own lives and realize this is going to be them one day-no freedom FOREVER. Your decision my brothers and sisters you can modify your behaviour. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

• Tracy
    Dec. 31, 2008 7:17 a.m.

To those that advocate carrying concealed guns, every study ever done proves that gun owners are way more likely to use them on someone in their own house than to protect themselves from a stranger.

• Howard Tayler
    Dec. 30, 2008 11:47 p.m.

Our choices define us. Cowdell has defined himself in a way that encourages us to hate him. He has probably done this deliberately.

When I look at the picture I try to peel away the tattoos and the dour, death-row expression to see the man underneath. He could be a strikingly handsome guy. He could brighten people's days with a smile.

Maybe this is still how God sees him. God is more merciful than any of us can imagine.

Of course for all this nice talk I still don't want him out on the streets anytime soon. His choices have defined him, and I believe he has earned every ounce of our disdain. We may wish to be better than him and show mercy, but if we let him go he's going to hurt somebody else.

• mark
    Dec. 30, 2008 11:17 p.m.

Pretty horrible, you said: "The daily choices this guy, and the others are making are horrible at best. They may act like animals, but they still aren't. They are still, yes they are, children of God, who still loves them"
    At least there is one Christen posting here, Pretty horrible. Good for you.

• for mommas everywhere
    Dec. 30, 2008 9:07 p.m.

I am so sick and tired that every time some boy-man goes violent that the blame is placed on the mother's doorstep. Or the upbringing. Or the morals. Sometimes, every once in awhile, to everyone's regret and especially to a mother's shame, a child goes bad. You do all you can do, spend all you can spend, seek help in every corner and you still end up with a child who is basically inherently up to no good - which leads to evil. And all you can do as a mother is cry. Hug yourself if you are not in this club. Hug your children. Spend your energy in empathy, don't cast it in blame.

• Bravo
    Dec. 30, 2008 8:31 p.m.

Good point, Emily. Religion has caused enough problems in this world that we do not need to add this horrible mess to the list of problems It has brought about.

• Emily
    Dec. 30, 2008 5:32 p.m.

In remark to MA where does it state this guy is a Mormon? Or served a mission? He doesn't appear to be of any faith. I would also like to say that ALL RELIGIONS have some persons in it that hide like they are all good. While at the same time doing evil things. Some while professing to be in the service of God. Let us not try, and tie a religion into this whole thing. God gave us agency, and this thing chose to use it unwisely. Now he will have to pay. Not only here but in the here-after....Thats what I call justice. It has also be stated that she was doing things under cover for the police and that is what got her killed. Regardless of the manner she lived her life. Being an unwed mother doesn't say your a bad person, only someone who believe some jerk when he said he loved her. I admire her for stepping up and being a MOM. Not throwing the child away like some used shoe, or denying it the oppertunity to know the parent who loved it. Judge ye not, lest ye be judged!!!

• Pretty horrible
    Dec. 30, 2008 5:12 p.m.

The daily choices this guy, and the others are making are horrible at best. They may act like animals, but they still aren't. They are still, yes they are, children of God, who still loves them, just not what they do. And the fact is, "his mama" probably didn't hug him enough. Probably neglected him, or abused him... neglect is abuse. Guys don't get this far off track being loved.

• Stupid
    Dec. 30, 2008 4:56 p.m.

Next time this guy should pay a professional to do the tattooing. Dumb tats done poorly make this guy a loser from the get go. But, put a suit on him and let him plead "mental distress" and the guy will do less time than if he illegally copies a DVD.

• yah gotta love it
    Dec. 30, 2008 4:34 p.m.

Tatoos on the face. Oh my................. Hi, may I date your daugther?

Oh wow................. as a college professor I have to admit to not seeing facing tatoos yet... yet..... yet... I did have a girl come to class last semester who had been burned red by a tanning salon. That was painful to look at.

Somewhere this guy's train left the tracks. It would be a worthy case study to ask when, where, why, how, and who was involved. It would be a page turned for sure.

• Time to Purge
    Dec. 30, 2008 4:36 p.m.

WVC needs to go. There is too many thugs/gangs like this out there waiting to prey upon your child.

The guy doing the tattoos should have just stuck the needle in both his eyes and saved society alot of trouble.

What a mess.

• sure...
    Dec. 30, 2008 3:49 p.m.

Sure, we need more gun control, so these veteran criminals who break the law every day (and have no quandary about breaking the law to carry a gun) can have a safer work environment knowing that his victims are not armed, it prevents hostile work environments for them! Please, bring more gun control to help people like Cowdell out and make their life of pillaging, murder and rape less stressful and be a more satisfying and rewarding career choice. Their productivity would skyrocket with more gun control!!

• Stop Gangs
    Dec. 30, 2008 3:05 p.m.

Cowdell has been a leader for the 38th Street Gang, one of the largest gangs is SLC, for years. The gang task force declared him public enemy #1 in 2005. It looks to me like the other two men charged in this crime were pawns for Cowdell.

When are we going to quit bickering about guns and start doing something, anything about the SLC gang problems???

• Interloper
    Dec. 30, 2008 3:01 p.m.

'Denial' is not just a river in Africa.

• There is a reason for CC...
    Dec. 30, 2008 2:55 p.m.

I have a conceal carry permit. I seldom carry, but I am legally able to do so if I so choose. Conceal carry permits are recognized in many states who issue them for a reason. It cuts the crime rate and at the same time, protects citizens from abuse by criminals.
    We who may carry, are among the most trustworthy people around and we are trained in how to handle difficult situations, potential criminals, and firearms.

• It won't be long...
    Dec. 30, 2008 2:45 p.m.

before the neighbors, friends, and family come out and say "He was such a nice boy. We never had an ounce of trouble with him. He would never do anything to harm someone." At some point, there were some warnings to his closest associates - probably in his youth. The face tattoos are a pretty good indicator of a train wreck waiting to happen as well.

• Sad Sad sic
    Dec. 30, 2008 2:42 p.m.

Capital Punishment should be swift and final for such....too many lawyers and too many appeals "carry" such non-humans too long. Reminds me of the Ogden Hi-Fi" murders.....we either purge society or continue to breed such....sad, sad, sad.

• Orygunner
    Dec. 30, 2008 2:15 p.m.

Interloper, millions of people in this country carry a firearm daily for self defense, and you're going to paint all people who choose to be responsible for their own self-protection with the same brush as that idiot?

From all the news reports I can find, he didn't even have a concealed handgun license, and was carrying it illegally anyway.

99.9% of law-abiding citizens that peacefully carry firearms for self defense don't have any problems with the law related to their firearm. They don't carry because they're angry, they understand they're responsible for their own protection.

Stop trying to spread fear and distrust of your fellow citizens. That's all the anti-gun agenda pushes is fear, paranoia, and distrust. I'd trust the average armed citizen next to me with a gun far more than someone advocating to take mine away because they (the anti-gunner) don't have a clue what reality is.

• drb
    Dec. 30, 2008 2:14 p.m.

Let's Face it...if we were to just handle things as they were handled back in the day...an eye for a eye and so one, public stonings, cut off a hand if you steal, etc. We may curb this over crowding in our jails. Then we can fill the jails with debters, maybe have them work off their debt by taking the place of these high paid politicians, get our road fixed, use them to build afforadable house for ALL to live in and cut out the middle men who pocket all the moneis and become rich.

As for the monsters that satan worked on to carry out his misery. The lord will handle these monsters, we can only pray for the families of both the victims and the the offenders. The poor mothers and fathers of All these children is where my hearts goes out. Remember, we are all sent here with "good", therefore keep tract of your children ALWAYS...so what if they hate you now...they'll grown up and learn it was for the best. They will become better parents for your hard work. Love and Logic will nhelp us all...not to forget Faith and Prayer.

• Sam Krenshaw
    Dec. 30, 2008 2:01 p.m.

I don't see how a man can do that to a woman.

• Che
    Dec. 30, 2008 1:56 p.m.

You don't carry a concealed weapon due to paranoia. You carry it to protect yourself, your family, and your friends from such garbage. With good luck and good choices you'll hopefully never have to use it. But who knows. Weren't you ever a Boy Scout?....Be Prepared!

• Interloper
    Dec. 30, 2008 1:48 p.m.

I agree with Jeff. The recent story of the concealed weapons carrier in Philadelphia who lost control in a movie theater and shot people for talking is telling. Anyone so angry he feels he should be armed at all times has the same kinds of psychological problems as Cowdell.

• V S
    Dec. 30, 2008 1:43 p.m.

Jeff R:

Thats the reason I *DO* carry a gun. It makes me safe, and reminds me to avoid conflict.

There also isn't a carry law in my state. I break the law to save my life. Worked 3 times so far, only had to DISPLAY it.

-Milwaukee

• Whoa double take!
    Dec. 30, 2008 1:30 p.m.

When I saw this picture I thought "a missionary is a suspect?" After further review I noticed his facial hair and I realized that he must be wicked. Don't scare me like that!

• Brian
    Dec. 30, 2008 1:28 p.m.

I don't have car insurance for the same reason - how can you live if you think the next car is about to crash into you? Some friends have concealed weapons, car insurance, health insurance, and life insurance; they claim they are prepared just in case - but of course you'll only be a victim of a bad driver or violent criminal if you don't delude yourself into thinking it only happens to other people. With this guy off the streets we are all safer, right?

• Orygunner
    Dec. 30, 2008 1:27 p.m.

Sorry, I meant that comment for the guy that responded to Jeff R. Oops. :D

• Orygunner
    Dec. 30, 2008 1:26 p.m.

Jeff R, Why would carrying a gun make you think that people would be out to kill you?
    Do you wear your seat belt in your car because you're in a constant state of fear that you're going to get in a crash?
    Do you have smoke detectors and/or fire extinguishers in your house because you're paranoid of fire?

A firearm is just a tool. Nothing more, Nothing less. Anti-gun groups spread the lies and deceit that try to convince you guns are evil bringers of death, but it's the PERSON wielding the tool that gives that intent to a firearm. My intent is to be responsible for protecting myself and my family. The more good people that own and carry firearms, the better the world will be.

I carry a gun, wear a seatbelt, and have smoke detectors not because I'm afraid I'll have to use them, but to be prepared in case I do.

What's a better way to live life? Thinking "It will never happen to me" or prepared in case it does?

• Anonymous
    Dec. 30, 2008 1:23 p.m.

He looks very evil.

• SMB
    Dec. 30, 2008 1:20 p.m.

That's a good plan Jeff R. And if you cover your eyes, stick your fingers in your ears and yell "La La La" really loud you can pretend that nothing bad ever happens. Crime always happens to someone else right?

• Steve
    Dec. 30, 2008 1:08 p.m.

"I choose not to carry a gun because I don't want to live my life in a state of constant fear and paranoia "

Well, I choose to educate myself so I know when I'm making a fallcious argument. Like yours for instance.

It was a REALLY nice try though, but people with the ability to reason will understand immediately why your reasoning is moronic.

No surprise then, that you don't understand.

• Budget cuts!
    Dec. 30, 2008 1:08 p.m.

Hmmmm, the state needs budget cuts. $60,000 a year to house an inmate. KILL THE ONES ON DEATH ROW!!!!!!!!!!! Dont program them, or rehab them. They are never getting out to use their rehab and Masters degrees that we hand them. Good budget cuts!

• Re: Jeff R
    Dec. 30, 2008 12:35 p.m.

You can carry your concealed gun if you so desire, but that is not the moral to this story. I choose not to carry a gun because I don't want to live my life in a state of constant fear and paranoia that the next person I pass on the street is out to kill me. That is no way to live life.

• detah tsom
    Dec. 30, 2008 12:33 p.m.

What in the world could have happened in his life for him to want to disfigure himself? Undoubtedly a whole lot of hurt.

What does this young man see when he looks in the mirror?

• Ink
    Dec. 30, 2008 12:05 p.m.

One more person destroying the spotless reputation of face tatoos.

• ceego
    Dec. 30, 2008 11:32 a.m.

Sicko/friends like this picture..who needs enemy? just a question, the public already have start throwing stones at these 3 losers, how in the world did she make friends with these guys? and her mom is already saying that her daughter this and that, my question was for the mom, how naieve are you? she just got our of high school and already have a baby out of wedlock and already have a record and these are her friends?....I am not judging but what went wrong....I have mistakes too...

• Jeff R
    Dec. 30, 2008 11:35 a.m.

The moral of the story is, get a concealed weapons permit, learn how to use the stinkin' thing, and carry it with you when you go into that part of town, or any other part of town in SLC, and WVC for that matter. People need to use their freedoms to their advantage. As for this guy, it happens. You always get some guy who hates authority and decieds his life work is going to be making other peopel as miserable as him. He will get 25-life if he's lucky. As for me, a firing squad behind the wood shed would be alright. That way we as tax payers dont have to pay 50,000 a year to feed and give him free health care! Or some severe manual labor like back in the old early 1900's style. We need to get our moneys worth out of them at least. Make them not wont to go to jail.

• MA
    Dec. 30, 2008 11:06 a.m.

The guy is a sick whacked out jerk. He looks down right EVIL to me. Re:-- Otis Spurlock, I hope this guy was excommunicated from the church after his mission. To bad you had to share your mission with him. You must have known back then that something was evil and strange about him?

I'm very sad for the young girl who was murdered.It shouldn't happen.

• rightascension
    Dec. 30, 2008 10:39 a.m.

Moral to the story -- if you want to take up the glamourous life of crime, don't tattoo words on your face.

• Bonehead
    Dec. 30, 2008 10:34 a.m.

Even without his current legal issues, this guy has pretty much put himself in the "Unemployable For Life Association," huh? How do people get so far off the tracks? Did his momma not hug him often enough?

• Bayou Vol
    Dec. 30, 2008 10:25 a.m.

What a winner...hopefully he has sealed his fate in the eyes of the state (don't let the gas chamber door hit you on the way out)

• Punks
    Dec. 30, 2008 10:22 a.m.

I'm sick of these young bandit, drugees having any influence on our society, lock tjhem up in a tent city and throw their food over the fence.

• Bear Rug
    Dec. 30, 2008 10:15 a.m.

The guy is an animal--worse! And the murder victim associated with him? From the tatoos around his left eye, I would say that the police better check for other murder victims.

• GCW
    Dec. 30, 2008 10:04 a.m.

Sorry, but shoot them all in the abdomen, let them lie in the snow and die.

It's time to put our evil brothers out of our world, and take it back for the righteous and good.

It would be better for them to suffer and pay in this life than the next.