Jay Evard Welch, former U. professor, dies

• Karen Walling
    March 24, 2010 8:10 a.m.

I took a music appreciation class from Professor Welch in the late 1970's or early 1980's. Our assignments included attending concerts and taking notes. He gave me permission to go to just the free concerts, since I couldn't afford the others. My favorite classical music I love the most from his class is The Moldau by Smetana. I have since seen photos of the Moldau River and Smetana's statue I found online through using a search engine. Professor Welch was a compassionate man with very interesting lectures. I learned a lot and it was painless. Like many people, I assume, I would have loved to have spoken to him one more time. He and Sociology Professor Clark Knowlton(deceased)and Educational Psychology Professor Ruth Lyon, all L.D.S.,were 3 of my 4 favorite professors in the 6 years I went to the Univ. of Ut. in SLC. Signed, a Protestant,
    Karen Walling

• Kathleen Smith-Marshall
    Feb. 13, 2010 7:18 p.m.

Uncle Jay was an amazing man. He was kind and loving. Holidays at the Welch house were great. We all sang songs while he played piano. What great memories.

• Pamela Farley Thompson
    Oct. 3, 2009 9:14 p.m.

I met Jay E Welch in Seattle, Washington in 1965. I was friends with his daughter Megan Welch. I later visited, with my family, the Welch family in Salt Lake City, Utah in 1968. He was a wonderful father. He was on a 1 year assignment at the University of Washington in 1965.

• Tedi Tuttle Wixom
    Jan. 1, 2009 10:03 a.m.

I auditioned for the Jay Welch Chorale in the late 90's and enjoyed singing in the Jay Welch Choral until he retired. I enjoyed his arrangements and works very much. One of my favorites was, "We Three Kings of Orient." He always had a sparkle in his eye and a smile on his face. I enjoyed the tribute to him in 2005 spearheaded by Brady Allred, in which I had the privilege to participate. Thank you so much. I would like to see a list of the works Jay E. Welch composed, and the song arrangements he did highlighted in the news, and not simply an overview saying he was a composer and director. His life touched millions of people through his music and influence.

• David Dayton
    Dec. 28, 2008 10:15 p.m.

As a member of MYSC under the baton of Jay Welch, let me say that he had a fine influence on me and on many others. The world was made a better place because of his contribution. Jay's music and good spirit will continue be remembered with gratitude.

• Diane MacKay Ware
    Dec. 18, 2008 8:41 a.m.

Dr Welch's classes were always inspiring! As an insecure music major in the 70's, he was instrumental in helping me see the JOY in music and how to pass that joy to others. His incredibly energetic and enthusiastic lecture style have been my model for years of teaching music myself. His legacy will live on for years to come.

• JDMD
    Dec. 17, 2008 3:24 p.m.

Dr. Welch was an awesome instructor. I had many teachers in college and graduate school and Dr. Welch ranks at the top. I took his music appreciation class in the 90's, and still remember his lessons about classical music. It seems that he did many great things in his life, but I believe he excelled as a teacher, and am grateful to have had his influence.

• Brian
    Dec. 17, 2008 10:53 a.m.

I also auditioned with Dr. Welch and sang with the Mormon Youth Choir both before and after my mission. He was/is an inspiring teacher and great choir director. His influence will continue to ripple through time. I still enjoy singing because of his wonderful influence and encouragement. Dr. Welch we will miss you.

• Jon Pike
    Dec. 17, 2008 10:51 a.m.

I enjoyed Dr. Jay Welch so much! He taught two generations of my family at the U. Both my wife and I had him for what was called Music and Culture in the late 80s. My parents had him in the early 60s. His choirs were fantastic under his artistic direction. His teaching methods were so delightful! His talent as a musician were amazing. He truly gave so much to all that were even around him. I will miss him and his great smile as well.

• geedub
    Dec. 17, 2008 10:36 a.m.

I took a music appreciation class from Dr. Welch when I attended the U in the 80's. I enjoyed so much that I took it again for fun. Dr. Welch had a great enthusiasm for music that he passed on to his students.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 17, 2008 7:47 a.m.

IMMEMORIAM FOR A BISHOP from Don Marsh
    Mourn not another great light gone out for the night
    But mourn for us the lesser lights
    With eyes put out by our own hand
    Mourn for us who stopped our ears from the cries of God for the poor
    For those of us with hearts that would not know or feel
    The beauty and the pain in another
    Or the beauty and the pain in themselves a little while longer...
    And mourn most for us, who for this, will never know love for ourselves
    Because we would not know the beauty and the pain of God and His children
    And who think alas theyve put out the great light in others....

Take your rest Jay
    For you have known the beauty and the pain and
    And there are those of us who will not rest,
    Knowing none will rest...
    Until we've done the same.

Tomorrow has come this day.

Don Welch Marsh

• GGCinAZ
    Dec. 17, 2008 7:37 a.m.

I am one of the original members of MYC. Singing with Jay was a wonderful experience. He was a great conductor and teacher. He will be missed.

The article incorrectly states that the MYC was formed in 1957. It was started in the fall of 1968.

• Scott
    Dec. 17, 2008 6:49 a.m.

I auditioned for Mr. Welch to be accepted into the Mmormon Youth Choir, and singing with them changed my life. Thanks Dr. Welch!

• Eric Welch
    Dec. 16, 2008 11:38 p.m.

I was sad to hear of Uncle Jay's passing (I'm one of Bill's kids). My thoughts and prayers are with the rest of the extended Welch family as we remember his many years of service and sacrifice in the name of his Lord. Although my path through life caused me to lose touch over the years, I recall the boundless energy and enthusiasm I witnessed during the brief time my family lived with his. May his voice forever sing with the celestial choir!

• Jean Luc Magre
    Dec. 16, 2008 10:45 p.m.

I met Jay when he served a couple mission in Versailles France some 15 years ago. I had the chance to see him conduct a stake choir for christmas. What a wonderful experience that was...
    He was always kind, he taught me the beauty of music and taught my children the live of it. I will remember him always and cherish his memory.

• david knowlton
    Dec. 16, 2008 7:40 p.m.

I played in Mormon Youth under Jay Welch. He had a profound impact on me, and many others. I want to publicly acknowledge him as a master teacher and wonderful influence.

• An old student
    Dec. 16, 2008 3:27 p.m.

I had a freshman music class at the U from him back in 1971. I am still enjoy classical music. Thanks so much Prof. Welch.

• soakblue
    Dec. 16, 2008 12:28 p.m.

Dr. Welch was a class act. Rest in peace.