Bennett is gearing up for another Senate bid

• Who puts these guys in office?
    Jan. 5, 2009 1:24 a.m.

Glad someone brought that up thanks Gordon F. Corbett.

Bennett running again shamefully cries out, "Conflict of Interest"

Not to mention all of the other comments that do not favor his liberalism, insider ties, and lies.

• arc welder
    Dec. 24, 2008 10:49 a.m.

Arc, what kind of thoughts are you looking for? You seem to have thought this through from every possible angle. And you seem to have held every position on the question imaginable.

• Name Withheld
    Dec. 19, 2008 11:34 a.m.

I know and work closely with all of the state-wide elected officials in Utah. Bob Bennett is, hands down, the most intelligent and most sincere of the whole bunch. Even though I don't agree with every position that Bob takes, I know that he has studied the issue, understands it, and can artfully articulate why he is voting the way he is.

That is what I value then most in an elected official. Bob will get my vote again in 2010.

• Gordon F. Corbett
    Dec. 12, 2008 8:30 a.m.

Dear All,

I am not a Utahn, but I believe that most Utahn conservatives oppose economic unification with the European Union. Sadly, that is true neither of Bob Bennett nor of my (hurray!) now-former Senator, Gordon Smith. Bennett heads "The Transatlantic Policy Network," which is composed of lawmakers eager to facilitate our uniting economically with Europe. This "Network" may be part of "The Streit Council," whose motto reads, "Working for a one world government uniting "democracies".

Economic union with another country is tantamount to political union. It was the European "Coal and Steel Consortium" that led, through several changes of name and membership, to the European Union. That process, it turns out, was engineered by the Bilderberg Group. Last June, they held a meeting at a hotel in Virginia. Obama may have attended.

Check it out on the Internet.

Sincerely,

Gordon F. Corbett

• tenx
    Dec. 8, 2008 11:24 p.m.

Add another Utahn who won't be voting for Bennett. He does not represent us. Enough of him. "Cannonize" him.

• randy
    Dec. 8, 2008 4:46 p.m.

we are the stupid voters that keep these 5 guys around .. (well, 4 .. cannon got the boot)

do we understand how it works .. vote for the challenger .. dont vote for the incumbent

it is us who is the enemy .. we keep hatch and bennett and bishop and matheson around .. this is our problem not theirs ...

they are so confident in our stupidity .. they dont even advertise for re-election ... we the utah voters are such their pasty's its incredible to see, watch or image ...

vote out hatch, bennett ... bishop and matheson are laughing at us for the next few years ..

just remember these guys will be taken care of by the lobby groups that will hire them in a minute when they dont get re-elected (doesnt that make you feel good to know their lobby buddies will still keep them ???)

come utah .. incumbents our .. challengers in

• David
    Dec. 8, 2008 12:30 p.m.

I'm with the majority of commenters here. We need to replace Bennett. Our best bet is in the Republican convention which means we need a strong challenger from the Republican ranks.

I can promise that I won't vote for him even if he makes it to the general election and I will be encouraging everyone I can to do the same. My hope is that we will get a good alternative, but I'm convinced that any change is better than more of the same.

• Time for change
    Dec. 8, 2008 8:42 a.m.

This guy has to go. He does not represent Utah- Only himself. I am a Republican that wants an alternative because I will not vote for this guy.

• arc
    Dec. 7, 2008 12:38 a.m.

I would have no problem voting for someone better. It needs to be solved now. If we can get someone good to run, they need to win at gop state convention. I don't want to come 9 votes short.

If no one better shows up, there is always the democrat. I really don't want to sway the balance further to the left. The best democrat I can think of is Rep. Matheson.

If they are not any better, I will vote for Bennett.

Any more names, other than Bishop or Herbert? Those two would be an option. What about Fred Lampropolus?

• 1 vote shy!
    Dec. 7, 2008 12:00 a.m.

Remember the bill to ban gay marriage federally was one vote shy from passing and guess who voted against it? Bob "bail out"Bennett! Time for Bob to go!! he is out of touch with Utah!

• Bennett 2012
    Dec. 6, 2008 10:24 p.m.

I don't know what world everyone has been living in, but Bennett, in my opinion, is one the most competent Senators we have. He is bluntly honest almost to a fault but I would much rather have that than the beating around of other politicians.

Also, his BIPARTISAN (gasp) work on health care with the Healthy Americans Act is commendable. He is truly working to provide affordable health care for all. It is nice to see someone who can rise above partisan politics. I certainly hope that the extreme right of the party doesn't try to hijack the convention. I am a Republican and I am sick of being defined by the extreme right. GO BENNETT!!!

• Clair Ellis
    Dec. 6, 2008 9:10 p.m.

I also remember that well-used postcard in 1992. That unfilled promise shows the limits of any one Senator and the silliness of making those kinds of promises. What is more disappointing is the general wrong direction of the Republican congress. Republican incumbents had a chance to lead and they blew it. There should be some accountability for that.

I like Bob Bennett, including his blunt honesty about the advantages of being an incumbent. But there are other candidates I could also like. Not some no-name unqualified challengers who would just waste our time. I hope we have a truly competitive nomination contest. A 4th term needs to be earned, not assumed.

P.S. Comments here under false names are always suspect. They could all be orchestrated by a couple of factions. There's no good reason to not use our real names.

• C. Jones
    Dec. 6, 2008 8:47 p.m.

If ever someone needed to be "Cannonized" it's this relic. He has been in the pocket of the pro amnesty crowd now for the six years He represents corporate interests and is in the hip pocket of lobbyists more than any other Senator back there. He is the biggest RINO in the party. We need to start our own grass roots organization to run local delegates and throw him out at the Republican Convention before he goes any further. He is a Democrat in Republican clothes, he and others like him are the reason the party is in disarray. Throw him out now. He is too old now and it only gets worse from here.

• observer
    Dec. 6, 2008 5:29 p.m.

I still remember Bob's first campaign, and the ad wherein he says "....and the form 1040 shouldn't be any larger than a postcard."
    He certainly has worked wonders.

• Move over....
    Dec. 6, 2008 4:35 p.m.

and give a fresh face and new ideas a chance to be in Washington DC. It's time to retire and play some golf for the reso your life spending some of that millions you have in your personal banking account....

• weezie
    Dec. 6, 2008 3:02 p.m.

Bennett accepted money from "La Raza", the illegal mexican representatives. I hope he is on his way out.

• Disillusioned
    Dec. 6, 2008 2:34 p.m.

This Utahn will NOT be voting for Bennett's reelection due to the fact that I feel he does not represent me in any way. Further, I have often called his offices (here and in Washington, DC) to voice my opinions on various matters and have found the staff in the SLC office to be anything but gracious or helpful. I think Matheson's SLC staff could use a little additional training too.

If Jim Matheson (or his brother) were to run for the Senate, I would vote for them in a heartbeat over Bennett. If the Utah GOP were to run a genuine Republican rather than a RINO like Bennett, then that person probably would be my choice.

Personally, I think it's time to clean house in Washington. I will start here by not voting for Bennett. I want the best person for the job. In my opinion, that is not Bennett.

• AriGold
    Dec. 6, 2008 12:38 p.m.

This quote from Bennett almost shot my morning coffee across my living room:

" 'You are not going to catch the Bob Bennett forces napping,'" he said."

Bennett "forces" ??!! Really, Bob? Forces? Are you sure you don't mean "that one guy left in Utah who helps put up my signs" ??

What Bail-Out-Bob won't tell you is what he really is thinking. He knows that if Herbert or Shurtleff were to jump in the ring for the 2010 Senate seat, neither of them would risk their current jobs (LG and AG), so the political risk for each is almost zero.

Bob also knows that his biggest threats are, in fact, Herbert or Shurtleff and he also knows that if either of these guys engages (they actually HAVE 'forces,' Bobby) it's curtains for him.

Go Gary! Go Mark! Whichever of you runs, will win. And Utah and America will be the better for it.

• promised 2 terms
    Dec. 6, 2008 12:36 p.m.

When Bennett ran in 1992 he promised two 6 year terms----not the one someone erronously guessed earlier. Now he is running for a fourth. What is his opinion on bailouts---he and Hatch have been silent on these issues. Are they in over their heads? Could it be that the free market doesn't work anymore without big government democratic bailouts? Let's elect some young guns to represent out state.

• Bob Bennett is a liberal.
    Dec. 6, 2008 12:16 p.m.

Bob Bennett endorsed Mitt Romney for President instead of supporting Mike Huckabee or Fred Thompson.

Just goes to show, it's time for change. We need more conservatives in Washington.

• Davis
    Dec. 6, 2008 10:54 a.m.

Bennett is a great asset for Utah. No doubt where he stands in supporting LDS standards as he said "I have nothing against Gays. I am a great fan of the Arts". He is fair minded and honest as any politician has ever been and deserves support for re-election.

• Laurels
    Dec. 6, 2008 10:38 a.m.

I am hopeful the GOP will put up a quality candidate to oppose Bennett. Bennett's lack of leadership during the past 8 years has been disheartening as well as harmful. With his supposed business accumen, why wasn't he sounding the alarms about the foolish risks being taken with subprime mortgages? Wasn't he one of the members of the Senate Banking Committee? Bail-Out Bennett has been asleep at the wheel, only to jerk awake to lead the charge to bail out all of the companies who have been irresponsible in their business practices. We need to elect someone who will provide responsible leadership, not someone who has had a major roll in overseeing the banking mess that has occurred.

• in a sorry state
    Dec. 6, 2008 10:36 a.m.

Thumbs down on a Bennett reelection. Besides his stellar leadership during the Y2K incident what else has he accomplished? In today's news I read that he and his cohort Sen. Hatch both voted to allow firearms in national parks, thus guaranteeing support from the republican lazyslature.

Sigh!

• John
    Dec. 6, 2008 9:43 a.m.

We don't need Bennett for another term. He is an arrogant transplant to D.C., no longer a Utahn in values.

He cares more about feeding his ego than advancing a Republican agenda.

His part in allowing the economy to fail is undeniable, and his proposed bailout "solutions" are exactly the wrong answers.

He won the job based on his father's career in the Senate, and his promise to serve only 1 term. We don't need political dynasties, and we don't need politicians who fail to keep their promises.

His veiled threats to take out any challengers are a sign of real weakness.

We need "change" in 2010, and Bennett's departure is part of that change.

Let's get a real conservative to replace him. Rob Bishop? Mark Shurtleff? Gary Herbert? Mike Waddoups?

NOT Jon Huntsman! NOT Greg Curtis! NOT Lane Beatty!

Forget any "moderate" (RINO) Republican. If one of them is nominated, we might as well vote for Jimmy Matheson, who is likely to seek the seat. Fot a Democrat, Matheson is not too bad when he has the guts to act on his own, instead of being Pelosi's poodle doing what he is told.

• ich dien
    Dec. 6, 2008 8:52 a.m.

Bennett and Hatch both promised limited terms of service. How can one trust a liar? That's not what I tried to teach my kids and grand and great grand kids. Oh well, seems lying goes with being a politician, doesn't it? From the top down. Way down to the first liar, that bright Light when Congress -- I mean, the pre-creation convention. Lucifer got a third of all to agree with him. Did they all turn into politicans? Me thinks maybe so.

• Give Him a Term Limit
    Dec. 6, 2008 8:40 a.m.

Well, we need to make him good on his promise....if he only wants to spend a single term and he has already run over that then lets fix that problem. This guy is too caviler with our *money* and acts like earmarking is a badge of honor because he "brings home the bacon" for Utah.

• Paul
    Dec. 6, 2008 8:19 a.m.

This is one republican that will not vote for Bennett. Let us get some good candidates in the primary. Let us get better leadership for conversative candidates. Not those like Bennett who have been asleep at the switch for the past eight years.

• Debt
    Dec. 6, 2008 8:09 a.m.

Bennett has been holding pay off the debt fundraisers for years.

Bennett voted for Obama/Biden.

Bennett promised two terms and is now working on his 4th - outrageous.

Bennett has become smug and way too interested in how he's viewed in DC than in Utah.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 6, 2008 8:00 a.m.

It's time for bailout Bob to go. He's out of touch, believing those in DC know best.

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Bob's well on his way.

• arc
    Dec. 6, 2008 7:44 a.m.

"His best chance of winning is if he can help Jason Chaffetz get Jason's legal immigration reform passed."

I don't agree that Bennett is out of touch. I was at the GOP convention when he explained why he voted the way he did. I don't agree with everything he votes for or against.

Cannon would try to explain why he voted for something that he (Cannon) did agree with. Bennett has not got to that point.

I do agree that Bennett has made mistakes. I have heard only rumors of who is going to run against him.

• We need change
    Dec. 6, 2008 4:01 a.m.

As Utahns complaing and wonder about our economy lets think about who has been responsible. The current government is responsible and to put the current people back in office seems a little wrong. If america needs change then we need to change who is back in washington making all the mistakes. Bob Bennett is a puppet representative doing what he is told with no mind of his own and who cares less about what the people want. We cannot keep re-electing the idiots who put us in this mess or nothing will change. Lifer politicians are bad for america and our government. But, Utahn's are just dumb enough to be swayed with ignorance and lies as they always are. Changes in washington means changes for america and our government. And don't forget, there is more than two choices of parties to represent us. Both parties (R & D) have drug america to the lowest depths of dispair for the last 30 or 40 years.

• arc
    Dec. 6, 2008 12:45 a.m.

Bennett is showing $1 million in debt for his campaign to start. He is going to have trouble no what he does. Perhaps that is the only reason he is running again.

Thoughts?

• Bennett must go
    Dec. 6, 2008 12:44 a.m.

Why is he running for a 4th term when his initial campaign only promised a single term?

He should be held accountable for his endless support for illegal alien amnesty and his lack of leadership as a member of the finance committee leading up to the financial crisis.

He is probably the most out-of-touch and arrogant of the current Utah Representatives.

• arc
    Dec. 6, 2008 12:40 a.m.

I am not sure If I will get a chance to vote for or against Bennett at 2010 convention. I will get a chance to decide whether Lockhart gets elected again.

Bob Bennett is by far not the worst we could send back, but if someone runs from the GOP that is better, he might pack his bags.

His best change of winning is if he can help Jason Chaffetz get Jason's legal immigration reform passed.