LDS population of Utah declining

• 1st gen-Mormon
    Dec. 22, 2009 10:18 a.m.

Count me as one more BELIEVER! I have to put up with bigotry, pompous, self righteous, too wonderful and great among my own families and people.
    People are so rude and mean just because I choose to join a religion. Before they weren't religious at all - now church now nothing. but now suddenly everyones all anti-mormon and pro something else.

• Spike
    Feb. 21, 2009 12:09 p.m.

My move to Utah was work related. I've been amazed at how gullible and dumb people are "here in Utah." That is why the Mo church is so successful "here in Utah." Idiotville.

• For: 7 gen-Mormon
    Feb. 21, 2009 11:52 a.m.

"7 gen- Mormon | 11:43 a.m. Feb. 21, 2009
    Count me as one more NON believer! I cannot stand the bigotry, pompous, self righteous, too wonderful and great among my own families and people."

OK, see ya.

Then you'll get ticked off and say "See?! What a bunch of pompous jerks!"

When all I did was say goodbye to your announcement to leave.

• For 10:42
    Feb. 21, 2009 11:49 a.m.

"One problem is the attitude | 10:42 p.m. Nov. 29, 2008 - like "Peters". It is a "holier than thou" attitude...one that feels that "God" controls all and that the Mormon church is the only "true" church."

Sounds nice.

There's just one little thing you don't understand.

The LDS church IS the only true and living curch upon the face of the earth.

It is the only church that has all of the truth that God has been able to thus far reveal to His children. It is the only church that is organized as He wishes it to be. It is the only church that possesses His authority to carry out the ordinances necessary for salvation; baptism, bestowing the right to the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost, and the joining together of families for all eternity through ordinances carried out in the temples of God.

If you don't like that, take it up with God because He's the one that told me. Not my parents. Not my bishop. Not my Sunday School teachers. God.

Are the members of the LDS church perfect?

Nope.

But the LDS church is His church nonetheless.

Cheers.

• 7 gen- Mormon
    Feb. 21, 2009 11:43 a.m.

• Peter
    Feb. 21, 2009 11:26 a.m.

I was LDS for 42 yrs (Scotland),,I love you all found out after reading the Bible passage PROVE ALL THINGS, THESS 5.21, I cried and cried, but not for me,but for my family, I am 3rd gen of 5, remember ye shall know them by their fruits, NOT send me a Prayer, and yes I did have a strong tesrmony, But now I have an even stronger one, JESUS SAVES ! please oil your necks and seek,, you will find !Again I love you all and may GOD Bless you.

• Bob
    Dec. 2, 2008 4:38 p.m.

"The LDS church's greatest critics are on the right, not the left."

Really? It's true that Evangelical Christians, who tend to vote Republican, are suspicious of Mormons.

But who has been seeking to have the Church's tax exempt status revoked after the passage of Prop 8? Who has been protesting outside of the Church's temples? Who has been attempting, with some success, to get Mormons fired from their jobs in California because they supported traditional marriage?

Hard-core conservatives are sometimes suspicious of Mormons, but hard-core liberals are downright hostile. It's night and day. Conservative Christians criticize us but also work with us on cultural issues. Liberal activists want to destroy us completely as a Church.

The LDS Church's most hostile, hardened, violent critics are on the left, not the right.

• @ Rednael 5:54am
    Dec. 1, 2008 4:01 p.m.

Rednael wrote: "Don't celebrate so fast lefties"

Umm. "Lefties?" You realized that it was the REPUBLICANS that rejected Mormonism last year during the McCain-Romney-Huckabee contest, right?

The LDS church's greatest critics are on the right, not the left.

• LDS Leaving Utah is OK
    Dec. 1, 2008 10:12 a.m.

Actually, when members of the Church leave Utah they take with them the gospel to share. The Church membership is unquestionably increasing around the world. The work is moving forward and no unhallowed hand can stop it. The sum of it all is to take the gospel to every nation, kindred, tung and people... and then shall the end come. It matters not what the enemies of the Lord will say or do. Their actions will only bring them sorrow. When people say and do unkindness or revile sacred things, it frankly hurts us... it hurts us to lose you. There is no battle wherein the Church wins or loses. It will win. The battle is in winning or losing the test of life.

• Rednael
    Dec. 1, 2008 5:54 a.m.

Don't celebrate so fast lefties. One reason for the percentage decrease in Mormons is the huge increase in the Hispanic population, who tend to be Catholic AND socially conservative!

• OC Surfer
    Nov. 30, 2008 11:33 p.m.

I heard that the Utah Missions of the LDS Church have the highest baptism rates in the world. The more "diversity", the more converts.

• One problem is the attitude
    Nov. 29, 2008 10:42 p.m.

like "Peters". It is a "holier than thou" attitude...one that feels that "God" controls all and that the Mormon church is the only "true" church. There are a number of them still around, but they will not last too much longer.

• Mormons Behave
    Nov. 29, 2008 8:37 p.m.

Yep, good Idea, We need to keep the nonmembers moving into Utah, because someone has to keep the Mormons in line and in place so they behave themselves.

• the truth
    Nov. 29, 2008 4:38 p.m.

Looking at the charts the decline in percentage of population of mormons is flattening out.

So all those anti-mormons wishing it would go much lower is only wishful thinking.

Besides utah is the way it is because of the mormons not inspite of.

Which is why the most of the non-mormons choose to live here.

But the vocal nay-sayers simply can't see the forest for the trees,

they have surrounded themselves in a tiny tiny tiny world of like thinkers, and refuse to see the world or Utah as it really is.

• DaviD O
    Nov. 29, 2008 3:27 p.m.

You would think that with the amount of children some people have that the dominance would stay. That being said. Utah with more religious, cultural and ethnic diversity would be a good thing.

• To Duh.....
    Nov. 29, 2008 3:11 p.m.

Agreed. We are also forgeting that people could be going to school out of State too, and not counting the Missionaries from Utah in the mission field too. It's not dooms day you conspirators out there....LOL!!

• georgiaonmymind
    Nov. 29, 2008 3:04 p.m.

to jplis wrong: You need to state your source please elighten us all! When you say several do you me five, ten or fifteen? Please share with us your sources I am very interested! All the haters love these articles time to get out the claws!

• Duh......
    Nov. 29, 2008 1:45 p.m.

How about high paying jobs are everywhere but in Utah?

• I'm interested...
    Nov. 29, 2008 1:36 p.m.

I love being surrounded by Mormons. If I have a need they are always helping out. I feel safer and they seem to be happier more often than my other friends. I'm not convinced that "mormons" are the problem.

• Well it
    Nov. 29, 2008 12:50 p.m.

seems that what ever the LDS membership is they seem to keep getting the top spots in government. Until that stops we'll keep seeing the same old Utah.

• jpl is wrong
    Nov. 29, 2008 12:19 p.m.

Mormon church membership is declining. I personally know of several who have had their names removed from the church roles. Activity rates are declining for most wards. Retention of new members is a continuing and unresolved problem.

• true blue
    Nov. 29, 2008 12:17 p.m.

this is exactly why byu is losing their football supremacy.

• John Pack Lambert
    Nov. 29, 2008 11:19 a.m.

This is a very misleading headline and article. It is not the Church membership that is declining, it is the percentage of the population who are church members that is declining. Since the population of Utah is increasing, this is a very different issue and this article is misleading.

• SpySmiley
    Nov. 29, 2008 10:30 a.m.

To: To This is:

Utah doesn't have perversions?

• Accurate
    Nov. 29, 2008 10:21 a.m.

I am thinking of retirng and moving back to some small town in Utah. Beautiful scenery. Good fishing. Clean air.

But the Mormonism keeps me away. Good to see the population trends, however.

• To This is | 9:51 a.m. Nov. 29,
    Nov. 29, 2008 10:19 a.m.

Like say, San Francisco? How about New Orleans? As with may other cities in the country, both of these places are rampant with perversions.

• This is
    Nov. 29, 2008 9:51 a.m.

great news. When the LDS population falls to somewhere around 10% I might consider moving back. If only someone besides Mormons has gotten there first, Utah would be one fantastic place to live!

• Ryan S.
    Nov. 29, 2008 9:30 a.m.

Before leaving my mission one of the GAs told us "Elders, there are 2 ways of growing this church, and one is more efficient." He then instructed us about our next mission, to raise righteous families to the Lord. I would encourage all LDS members to quit being so selfish. Spirit children deserve to be raised in the gospel of Jesus Christ.

• Gus
    Nov. 29, 2008 9:23 a.m.

I would enjoy a Utah with more diversity.

• Peter
    Nov. 29, 2008 9:01 a.m.

Utah was a better place to live, before all of the "Gentiles" moved here.

Maybe a "recession" or possibly a "depression", is God's will in ridding Utah of the heathen un-faithful.

• Harry H.Surya
    Nov. 29, 2008 5:26 a.m.

members of the church should put their raise aside that is why LDS Members in Utah are declining