Schools taking time out for yoga

Breaks designed to help meet exercise recommendations

• Charlotte
    Nov. 30, 2008 9:27 a.m.

True, yoga is from India. Not quite true that it is simply a series of exercises. The poses are one part of yoga, albeit the only part usually taught in the West.

I've practiced yoga for 27 years, have studied the philosophy, and written a book about it. There is nothing at all dogmatic in the philosophy. The yoga sutras were purposely written with no ideological coloration, so that they could be interpreted to fit into anyone's life, regardless of his or her religious beliefs or lack thereof.

Sutra scholar Alistair Shearer says, "Whether we choose to practice yoga, and interpret its benefits, within the framework of a conventional set of religious beliefs is up to us. Some people do, some dont. Yoga itself is neutral. It is a catalyst that allows us to grow in whichever direction is natural and life-supporting. Its methods work on the physical seat of consciousness, the nervous system, and, as far as yoga is concerned, a Hindu nervous system is no different from an Islamic or agnostic one. Each obeys the same laws that govern the operations of mind and body. Whoever practices yoga will be enlivened in his or her own way."

• Anonymous
    Nov. 28, 2008 7:58 p.m.

In response to the first commentator: yoga is not from the Middle East, it's from India - which is just plain East. Well, really Southern Asia.

Secondly, yoga is a series of exercises that can be, and has been, used in several religious traditions and which need not be associated with any in particular.

Finally, I practice yoga for both the peace of mind it offers and for the physical benefits, which are considerable. It hasn't changed my religious (or political) beliefs in any way - except that my mind is clearer and I'm more calm.

These kids are being introduced to something which is truly wonderful and which is a practice - not an end in itself.

• DR Don
    Nov. 28, 2008 3:49 p.m.

"Why are our schools using middle eastern religious practices in our schools? Before you start flaming me, look up what Yoga really is, and where it comes from."
    Perhaps you might want to research the pagan roots of Christianity first.

• Anonymous
    Nov. 28, 2008 3:00 p.m.

Cool.

• Anonymous
    Nov. 28, 2008 1:43 p.m.

Besides, the benifits are wonderful. I used to suffer constant back pain until I began doing yoga. Now my back feels better. It's also great for helping me when I get a pinched nerve. But of course it's good to consult a doctor before starting any excercise program.

• Re: What?
    Nov. 28, 2008 11:04 a.m.

Take a deep breath... Yoga is a great way to relax and keep in shape. No one is trying to teach the kids "Middle Eastern religious practices." Get over it!

• Anonymous
    Nov. 28, 2008 9:08 a.m.

And what exactly is Yoga supposed to be really about? I'm an LDS mom who practises yoga on a weekly basis and I'm not "corrupted".

• Anonymous
    Nov. 28, 2008 8:03 a.m.

Oh, no What?! Students are learning about culture and religion in school by doing Yoga.

Schools teach many religions. It is impossible not to when going into history because most conflicts have religious undertones.

• WHAT?
    Nov. 28, 2008 6:52 a.m.

Why are our schools using middle eastern religious practices in our schools? And starting with SECOND GRADERS? What are they trying to indoctrinate them with now. Before you start flaming me, look up what Yoga really is, and where it comes from. You may be surprised.