JFK's Utah visits chronicled on Web

• Harlan Bangerter
    Dec. 2, 2008 8:13 p.m.

Is the caption on photo 13/ the Kennedy Photos / correct?

I think the new Salt Lake airport terminal which appears in the background was opened in the late spring of 1961. That would make this a 1963 presidential visit photo. Would appreciate a comment back.

• Dennis Huggard
    Nov. 27, 2008 8:46 p.m.

I also would like to see more of the pictures of the visit in 1963, I don't think there were any (or few) in the galleries so far. My father was working on the Salt Lake Temple at the time of the 1963 visit, putting on a new copper roof, and viewed the whole procession from atop the temple, and took a few pictures.

• QuickSand
    Nov. 26, 2008 7:29 p.m.

You want to know the truth about who shot Kennedy?

Get "Reclaiming History" by Vincent Bugliosi.

Bottom line: Oswald shot him, three shots, all from the same gun. Oswald was a mental case. Jack Ruby was a small time thug, that decided out of his love for JFK and his wife, to go finish off Oswald. That's it. No more.

I have read or watched most of the conspiracy theories and Bugliosi demystifies them nicely.

• Very Cool
    Nov. 25, 2008 5:50 p.m.

Eloquent, possibly married to the mob, adulterer, but boy, could he command an audience!

Regardless of his shortcomings, he energized the nation at his time. The pictures are unbelievably cool. Well done!!

• Champ?
    Nov. 25, 2008 2:16 p.m.

And now that you brought it up.... how many of your fellow republicans have had AFFAIRS....even John McCain. Don't throw mud unless you want it back.
    JFK was a great President and loved by the people of this country. It was just too short of time he had to be President.

• Oh, and Champ (chump)
    Nov. 25, 2008 9:33 a.m.

Way to sling mud with your "affair" comment. Grow up. Last I checked this story was about Kennedy's visit to Utah, not his affairs.

• Wow photo whiners
    Nov. 25, 2008 9:30 a.m.

Be grateful the newspaper made these images available at any size!

• Please!
    Nov. 25, 2008 1:20 a.m.

Please, please, please, make this available in a book of some sorts, I would love to have these pictures to look at all the time!

• Champ
    Nov. 25, 2008 1:11 a.m.

How many affairs did he have again while in public office?

Nov. 23, 2008 2:04 p.m.

When I viewed the pictures tears came to my eyes and I couldn't help but remember that day in November 1963. I was ill at the time and was watching TV and Walter Cronkite came on and gave the news to the world. I spent the time until after the funeral, watching everything that took place. I cried so many tears. I was about 36 yrs. of age at the time and had 4 young children and I had them watch with me. I told them they were watching History. People who lived at that time, will never forget the sadness that was felt here in our country and around the world. I pray it never happens again.

• Elizabeth
    Nov. 22, 2008 5:34 p.m.

John Kennedy was and still is my favorite President. I'll never forget the dsay he wa killed. I was in Jr. College when he was killed and at first I thought it was a joke. I had watched him campaign and collect hundreds of photos of him, Jackie and their kids. I remember the look on their faces when they lost their baby Patrick. He had a fantastic ability to unite this country and people could feel his capability to lead and make decisions. He not only was charismatic, but he was intelligent and knew how to lead this country. He was well respected by other countries and they knew what a strong leader he was. I'm not sure we'll ever have another President like John F. Kennedy.
    His wife was probably his greatest assett. She was lovely and charming, but also extremely intelligent and always knew just the right thing to do. She showed her strength and breeding when even in grief, she taught their son, John Jr., to salute his fallen father. Then she walked behind his casket, rather than riding in a limo. She held the country together those awful few days. She was indeed the "First

• JanSan
    Nov. 22, 2008 2:33 p.m.

It seems that most of the Presidents has some kind of relationship with the prophet at their time. This is not meant as a slur of any kind - just wondering how this will work out with Obama? What kind of relationship do you see him having with our Prophet? Any NICE comments are welcome - I truly am curious how this will play out.

• Kearny
    Nov. 22, 2008 1:50 p.m.

John, I saw all the photos without issues. Chris, did you click the picture in the story? If you do a huge gallery shows up with 26 photos. You have to click on the picture.

The photos are amazing. I'd love to see a gallery like this of President-elect Obama!

• swissmiss
    Nov. 22, 2008 1:19 p.m.

I saw Jack Kennedy when he had been elected president but not yet sworn in. He was still living in a townhouse in Washington, D.C. We heard he was going to make one of his periodic appearances so we ran across the street. It was a cold, sunny day. I remember how the sun made his hair look so red. Don't recall what he said, just how thrilled I was. My Dad never forgave himself for not having a camera with him that day.

A friend's father worked for Jackie's step-father, who was a stockbroker, and Ruth had permission sometimes to visit Merrywood, Jackie's step-father's house in McLean, Va. and use the pool. One time Jack and Jackie were lounging around the pool. Ruth loves to tell the story about how Jack kennedy helped her improve her swimming strokes.

• Where were you that day?
    Nov. 22, 2008 12:47 p.m.

Those of us of a certain age remember, perhaps that is our first clear remembrance. It was a Friday. We were in class and an announcement came over. The teacher started to cry. Which set off the students who were allowed to watch the news on the old black and white TV in the classroom.

The days leading up to the funeral procession and the sadness / tension in the nation were felt by all of us and the world.

• madams
    Nov. 22, 2008 11:41 a.m.

My mom loved JFK and I remember that we planned to go see him at the airport that day(I was about 13). Sadly, my younger brother got sick the day before and had the flu really bad so we couldn't go. I wish I'd had the chance to be in these crowds.

• JFK's other visit
    Nov. 22, 2008 10:29 a.m.

When I was in 6th grade, while JFK was still a Senator, our class took a visit to the State Capitol.

I don't know if our teacher knew who would be the speaker that day or not, but we students heard him speak and saw his beautiful wife. I clearly remember someone asking Jacqueline to say a few words, and (paraphrasing) she said "I'm not good at making political speeches, so I shouldn't start now."

Even MORE exciting, when we went outside, JFK and Jacqueline were getting into their car...but they stopped and shook our hands.

When we got back onto our school bus, our teacher (Mr Hawkes of Madison Elementary in Ogden) said "He's going to be President some day."

It was a good time in our history; hopefully, that spirit is returning.

Doesn't the Deseret News have any mention of THAT visit in their archives?

Nov. 22, 2008 8:29 a.m.

Yes. I agree with Chris J.

• Jill
    Nov. 22, 2008 8:29 a.m.

My grandma talks about JFK's visit to Utah and what an impact it had on her. She heard him speak and helped with his campaign. I am excited to show her the photos. Thank you for making them available. I agree with the previous post--it would be great if the photos were made available in a larger size, even in a book or something. My grandma will be thrilled to see them, but has no internet and no idea how to view them if she did. Having them in book form or on display somewhere would be very beneficial to many in Utah. Thanks again!

• John Robert Mallernee
    Nov. 22, 2008 5:15 a.m.

Greetings:

I finally got to view the pictures, and I just now realized why, unlike Chris J., I think they're not small.

I use my wide screen television as the monitor for my notebook, and I keep my computer's screen resolution at 800 X 600 pixels.

So, I have a much larger view of everything.

With my background in law enforcement, I was particularly interested in seeing the police officer's uniforms and equipment.

Notice the difference in clothing styles.

Notice the changes in the airport.

Notice the ZCMI store and the Church Administration Building.

When these photographs were taken in Nineteen Sixty, I was fourteen years old and a freshman at Stephen F. Austin High School in El Paso, Texas.

I especially enjoy seeing the photographs of David O. MacKay, for I'm a convert in The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-day Saints (baptized in 1967), and David O. MacKay was my FIRST prophet!

He died when I was a soldier at the Phu Lam Signal Battalion in Viet Nam, where I attended LDS services in the Saigon Branch.

Thank you.

John Robert Mallernee
    Official Bard of Clan Henderson
    Armed Forces Retirement Home
    Washington, D.C. 20011-8400

• John Robert Mallernee
    Nov. 22, 2008 4:46 a.m.

Greetings:

Yes, I'm also having trouble with the photographs.

The first three (03) photographs opened up, but the rest of the slide show just stopped.

No, they are NOT small pictures, not if you click on "GALLERY" or "CLICK TO ENLARGE", and for me, the pixel resolution was just fine.

But, for some reason, I'm not seeing all of the pictures, for the program isn't functioning properly.

Not all of the thumbnail views appear, and the slide show freezes up and won't load.

I hope the staff at DESERET NEWS pays attention and fixes the problem.

When President Kennedy was assassinated, I was seventeen years old and living in North Carolina.

I remember the moment vividly, but unlike others, I can never tell anyone (except privately, for a VERY select few close family or friends) about what I was doing or where I was, due to personal embarrassment.

That's one more reason folks should ALWAYS lead a clean, wholesome, and upright life, for you never know when you'll either witness or be a part of a historic moment.

Thank you.

John Robert Mallernee
    Official Bard of Clan Henderson
    Armed Forces Retirement Home
    Washington, D.C. 20011-8400

• georgiaonmymind
    Nov. 22, 2008 1:55 a.m.

What a great piece of history! Thanks for sharing it with us.

• Chris J.
    Nov. 22, 2008 12:57 a.m.

Indeed, these are great pictures. Therefore, I hope that the pictures are donated to some library somewhere. These images won't be available for long on the deseret news website. They need a permanent place at a university library or some similar institution of research.
    Also, the pictures are laughably small. These are about 400 pixels wide! For pictures containing such history, you should be posting them at much bigger sizes. Especially if I want to attempt to recognize some 'Aunt Betsy' from 45 years ago. All I can see in some of those photo's is a pixelated blur of most faces.
    I've said it before, Please Deseret news, gives us bigger pictures to accompany the articles. These are almost no bigger than the thumbnail images.