McCain, Obama clash — politely

Rivals make their points on taxes, spending, war

• re enlightened Utahn
    Sept. 27, 2008 7:52 p.m.

I will give you Obama has better intelect and better temperment. But judgement and a record?
    He has no record on any of the issues. Thats one of his major weakness.
    His judgement is obviously lacking. IE: his involvement with underground terrorists, racist religious leaders, and extremists.
    He hasn't changed, he said right in the debate that he wants to talk face to face with a wicked leader who has said wants to wipe a country off the map and annihilate a people. Its poor judgement to be associated with those type of people.

• Apologetics
    Sept. 27, 2008 7:22 p.m.

I'm not voting for Obama or McCain but I did watch this debate and got bored. They say nothing new or anything of value. Both will continue to take this country away from the Constitution. What a joke this country has become and all the sheeple that eat the scraps from the Repub & Demo table.

Having said that, I thought Obama won the debate.

I have dreams that the people in this country will wake up and study other canidates and then vote for someone that IS for the Constitution.

I will once again write in the name Ron Paul, just as I've done the past three elections.

• DebateObserver
    Sept. 27, 2008 5:16 p.m.

IF there was every debate that showed why we should go third party, this was it.

Both candiddates it will be politics as ususal.

Send these clowns and partys a lesson they will not soon forget and vote third party.

Let them know they must listen to the people,
    put country first,
    and that we have had enough of partisan politics.

Vote Bob Barr '08!

• An Enlightened Utahn
    Sept. 27, 2008 5:12 p.m.

Having voted Republican ever since I was legally able to, I am finally opening my mind and voting consciously - not just for my own concerns - but those of my children, grandchildren and community. The debate last night was not "polite" as our headline screamed. Obama proved that he has the better judgement, better intellect, better temperment, and a record to show his involvement and concern for every-day people. McCain only proved to me and countless others that he truly is a grumpy, impulsive and mean-spirited old man. His concerns for oil companies and CEO's are scary. His personal history is not honorable. Obama is a great American who loves his family and country. He is motivated to serve based on the needs of all Americans - especially the middle and lower class families. When will we Utahns wake up and vote with our own minds and not with the Republican traditions that undermine our credibility to the rest of the nation? Are we all blind sheep?

• Dan
    Sept. 27, 2008 4:25 p.m.

With continual use of McCain's first name "John" Obama was attempting to: 1) give the impression of a sense of familiarity and friendship - that is shallow and contrary to fact, and 2) lull McCain into letting his guard down and thus relaxing his debating. Neither ploy worked for Obama. In fact McCain's continual "Senator Obama" correctly reflected the formal and serious atmosphere of the debate versus Obama's not-ready-for-prime-time amateurish approach.

When discussing the war virtually all Obama was doing was looking back. I realize a major part of his strategy was to tie McCain to Bush, but PLEASE...what's in the past is done...look forward at least every once in a while. Obama copied McCain several times on various subjects, but really stepped in it when referring to his bracelet...he stumbled and did not immediately know the name of the deceased patriot whose name was on the bracelet he was wearing.

McCain comes across as sincere and possessing a heartfelt sense of duty to the country....Obama is shallow, and is fearful or unable to flesh out his future plans except in broad sweeping terms.

When the 3 am call comes Obama will not make a decision - McCain will, decisively.

• Observer
    Sept. 27, 2008 3:56 p.m.

Next up, the vp debates. She's in real trouble, and don't be surprised if the McCain campaign tries to get them delayed indefinitely, or Palin has a sudden emergency in Alaska.

• SLMG
    Sept. 27, 2008 3:46 p.m.

HELLO!!!!
    "Obama prepped at a resort and McCain prepped at home." What kind of statement is that? McCain has at least 7 homes that we know of, any one is more of a resort than most of us live in, what difference does it make where they prepped.

It was a good first dedate as far as debates go, no outright winners or losers on issues. Body language had a lot more to say about the candidates in this debate and on that score I believe Obama won hands down. Obama appeared more statesman like, McCain appeared old and on the defensive. McCain continued to attack Obama on a personal level instead of issues, that is what the debate are sppose to be about not weather McCain feels Obama has the experience to be President, that is for the voters to decide.

Stick to the issues.

• Re: Dixie Dan
    Sept. 27, 2008 3:39 p.m.

Good point. I was better off until 2 years ago when Pelosi and company took over our Congress.

I think we all were.

• Re Poll
    Sept. 27, 2008 2:47 p.m.

If you would take some time away from visiting your liberal stations and actually visit fox news, you would see they have as a headline of obama having the edge in the debate, siting polls from ABC and CBS.
    The problem is people only hear what they want to hear and see only what they want to see.

• Re:Drudge?
    Sept. 27, 2008 2:35 p.m.

The Drudge report is a conservative, Republican blog. It has no credibility when talking about a poll. Even Fox News, after the debate, concluded that independent voters declared Obama the winner of the debate.

• Dixie Dan
    Sept. 27, 2008 2:35 p.m.

Does it really matter who "won" the debate? Just remember what Ronal Reagan said on election day: when you go into the voting booth, ask yourself a very simple question, "am I better of today than I was 4 years ago?" How you answer that question will determine how you vote this time.

• Maggie
    Sept. 27, 2008 1:04 p.m.

Hey 'Real Utah' let me intorduce myself. I've been in Utah for a long time and have voted for representatives from both major parties, locally and nationally. Welcome to Utah 2008 - go Obama!

• Drudge Poll?
    Sept. 27, 2008 12:52 p.m.

Using the Drudge Poll to determine how Americans viewed the debate is about as scientific as suggesting that a Deseret News poll of Utahns represents the views of the nation!!!

Of course it's going to say that McCain won. Who but rabid Republicans visits the Drudge Report website?

You can keep living in your Fox News, Drudge Report, Utah, anti-liberal media bubble, but the fact is that Obama is catching on with American voters.

• Spending
    Sept. 27, 2008 12:49 p.m.

You would think any logical person would agree that cutting goverment spending is the way to go. Right here in Ogden is a classic example. Why is our police force driving around in 30,000$ SUV or trucks? 25,000$ Harley Davidson Motorcycles etc. Are the roads in ogden that terrible to require extravagant purchases?
    Its as simple as what I do at home. I have disconnected the cable, I have changed shopping at high priced stores to more economical stores. I have put in a garden etc...I didn't set up a committee to over see that the cable company was charging correctly or the food I bought was fairly priced. I literally cut my spending habits.

So yes, john mccain does get it.

Obama needs to actually work in the Senate if he is going to be a senator. If he didn't do work as a senator for the people, what makes me think he'll do work as a president? Its not a popularity contest.

• JanSan
    Sept. 27, 2008 12:37 p.m.

I do not have a TV so I did not watch the debate. After reading the article and the commments there are a few things that stick out in my mind. I am not totally sure who I will vote for at this point in time. But things like "Looking Presidental" are not as important as "Doing" what it takes to be a good president. I have some concerns about Obama such as the fact that I (as well as the rest of the US) are paying him to be a Senetor RIGHT NOW! and his record as a Senetor is not that impressive to me. From what I have read he has marked himself present to most meetings but has never really taken a stand of Yea or Nay on things. I am not so impressed with what FOX or other new agency's say about either as I am not voting for a movie star!! and I think that it is VERY CLEAR who they want to see in office and I have my own brain and my own voice Thank you very much! and I intend to use them to vote the way I CHOSE, not told to.

• polls
    Sept. 27, 2008 12:25 p.m.

According to the Drudge Poll,
    McCain needs to be the Wal-Mart store manager.

(spanked Obama)

funny.

• Statesman?
    Sept. 27, 2008 12:24 p.m.

Uh, uh, uh, uh,. . . What we have to do is. . .

Uh, uh, uh, uh, . . . John is right . . .

Uh, uh, uh, uh, . . . James is right or John . . .

Uh, uh, uh, uh, . . . I would wipe out Pakistan (instead of talks)

Uh, uh, uh, uh, . . . I would talk face to face with Mohaud

Sounds like someone doesn't really know what he wants to do and is looking for the correct answer to get votes.

• Come on Utah!
    Sept. 27, 2008 12:23 p.m.

We need real change in this country. I'm still undecided on President, (I wish Romney was on the ticket) but I know I'm voting for Bennion Spencer for Congress.

• THE UNDERCUT
    Sept. 27, 2008 11:49 a.m.

The republican economic policy will decide the election. Are you voting to continue the total mess?

• internet poll
    Sept. 27, 2008 11:43 a.m.

{{{DRUDGE POLL}}}} WHO WON THE FIRST PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE?...

MCCAIN
    68% 228,971
    OBAMA
    30% 100,382
    NEITHER
    2% 8,218
    Now someone please tell me again Who Won the Debate?
    CNN ABC NBC don't even have that many bloggers.

• SP--McCain Beliefs
    Sept. 27, 2008 11:33 a.m.

There was one sentence uttered by McCain in the ABC special about his life that was the clincher for me.

He told Diane Sawyer "I'm VERY superstitious."

WHAT? WHAT! You've got to be kidding?

The last thing this country needs is another president that believes in Supernatural mysticism.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 27, 2008 11:18 a.m.

Did no one notice that Obama would not let McCain finish speaking?! He would get so defensive. At the same time, these two remind me of a couple of 4 year olds. As Denzel said in Remember the Titans, "any two year old child can throw a fit." I don't think the debate changed my view on either candidate as selfish individuals, but one thing to consider, McCain left the debate to go back to Washington to work on the economic relief, while Sen Obama is off trying to talk republican states into voting for him. Actions speak louder than words. If Obama wants to fix the econmy he needs to be IN Washington WORKING to fix the economy.

• Randy
    Sept. 27, 2008 11:16 a.m.

Wow-I am so glad I got the chance to see these two side by side. Everyone I talked to at work kept saying Mr. Obama was an "elitest," if so, I wasn't seeing it. He looked like a pretty cool guy and I wouldn't mind having TWO beers with him. The part where he said that Mr. McCAin thought the war began in 2007 was his best moment and when he said parts about John singing songs about bombing Iran. In short, if the next debates are like this and if that Sarah Palin proves out to be as much of a kook as it looks like, I'm "gunna" (I said, gunna in a mocking of the way Sarah talks) vote for Barack!

• Maggie
    Sept. 27, 2008 11:14 a.m.

Corpao take note: your fears are coming to fruition as we type away at our computers, and because of who and what? Yep, this administration. Unfortunately, the bailout is probably necessary. Who is fighting it: republicans. Why? Their constiuents don't like it. So, right or wrong political lives are at stake. If the irony weren't so sad it would be completely laughable.

• Real Utah
    Sept. 27, 2008 10:40 a.m.

Are there any Utahns on here? Utah is 75%+ Republican. Please, fellow Utahns, don't be fooled by out-of-state folks from the Obama campaign on our blog telling us how bad "McBush" is and how great Obama is.

I'm sure there are a few Democrats in Utah, but this blog is completely distorted.

As for the repeated point that McCain voted with his party 90% of the time, it should be mentioned that Obama voted with his 97%. Neither is much of a centrist.

• Observer
    Sept. 27, 2008 10:43 a.m.

According to polls that have come out, even an unscientific poll done on Fox News of independent non committed voters, Obama came out the winner. A scientific poll of independent non committed voters on CBS, again, showed that Obama was the winner. Even George Will, the conservative columnist called Obama the winner. The conservative Wall Street Journal called it a toss up. The independents are the key to the election now, and Obama is appealing to more and more of them. What was interesting was how they saw McCain. They saw him as aloof, aggressive, behind the times, with little or no passion for the points of view that he espouses. The vp debate could be a real turning point in this election, because it's clear that Palin doesn't have the ability to express herself well, nor the knowledge required to debate serious issues. If Biden can keep from appearing condescending and overly aggressive, it could give a real boost to the Obama campaign.

• Hypocrisy
    Sept. 27, 2008 10:34 a.m.

The night and the campaign were pretty much explained in 2 minutes.

McCain went off, about how he's a reformer, a maverick, and a hero.

Obama countered with facts and not just nicknames. He said, "McCain, this is coming from someone that has agreed 90 percent of the time w/Bush and his policies over the past 8 years."

Game, set, match.

Give us change. Not just words, fluff, hot air, and hormones(palin). But give me change.

Obama clearly won the debate.

• Donovan
    Sept. 27, 2008 10:16 a.m.

When Obama was talking about how McCain voted right along the lines of Bush, McCain looked like he had a bad case of gas.

Please voters, give America a new direction.

• Corpao
    Sept. 27, 2008 10:11 a.m.

McCain has what it takes to keep this country moving forward as a democracy. Obama's extremely liberal stand will take us closer to socialism, something we cannot afford to allow.

• Eugene
    Sept. 27, 2008 10:09 a.m.

Experienced, tried and tested under battle vs. untried and untested with a history of organizing communities with the help of many people of questionable character. Hmmmm! Not too hard of a decision, is it?

How can Barack impune the character of President Bush when he has so many questionable friends that he now has to distance himself from? Sounds like politics as usual. Like Bush or not, at least he has traditional values and convictions.

• Jonathan G.
    Sept. 27, 2008 10:08 a.m.

I agree. McCain clearly came across as the best choice for President.

I'm voting John McCain and Bennion Spencer.

• BANKING ON HEAVEN . COM
    Sept. 27, 2008 9:57 a.m.

McCain can't even deal with the cowards in Colorado City, Arizona who abuse innocent women and children, and he wants to go after Bin Ladin's rifle-toting extremists? ROTFL!

OBAMA '08

• maggie
    Sept. 27, 2008 9:56 a.m.

I posted a comment last night and one this morning. I am really curious why they were not added. Please enlighten me. Thanks.

• Moderate
    Sept. 27, 2008 9:54 a.m.

In my opinion, both of these men are much better men than the last two that we had to choose from (Bush, Kerry). For the first time in a while, I feel pretty good about both of them as individuals, I just tend to lean towards Obama because I believe that the school of thought he represents is more relevant at this time.

• Susan Jensen
    Sept. 27, 2008 9:52 a.m.

The debate appeared even to me and was pretty much what I was expecting. The one thing that stood out to me was the difference in demeanor. McCain would not look at Obama, was condescending, almost scornful, and very dismissive of Obama, while Obama was much more statesmanlike. Maybe that kind of behavior appeals to Republicans, but after 8 years of that kind of attitude by the Bush administration, I believe most Americans are tired of it. I doubt whether the debate changed the minds of many of the 90% of voters who have already decided. But I do think that after seeing how McCain behaved, many of the undecideds, especially women, will be turned off by him and the angry attitude that he has. He just isn't likable. The next debate, on economic policy, will tell more, but McCain will be at a great disadvantage there trying to defend his economic policies that have led to the financial crisis, his desire to privatize social security, his stand on health care, his tax cuts to the very wealthy, and his objection to a woman's right to choose.

• Grumpy
    Sept. 27, 2008 9:47 a.m.

"I won't debate."

"I will debate."

"I have a great person to be my (VEEP LITE)."

"YOU THINK I CAN'T HEAR HIM?

"I've got a pen, but it's old."

"I was a POW"

(I don't want to talk about being an ADULTERER)

"I got a bracelet from a lady."

"I've been everywhere, man..."

(Why do they keep making say these #*&!$# names)

"I'm ready (to spend $10,000,000,000 per month to BOMB, BOMB, BOMB for the next 100 years.)"

Thank You, Senator McCain.

• winners and losers
    Sept. 27, 2008 9:47 a.m.

nice childish rants "great debate" and "Anon 1:26" a.m. but did you see the poll numbers from cnn? 51% thought Oboma won and 38% thought McCain won. I think it was pretty much a wash myself.

• uncannygunman
    Sept. 27, 2008 9:43 a.m.

I think McCain's "you don't understand" shtick backfired pretty quickly, mostly because it was so patently obvious that Obama DID understand things a lot better than McCain.

Incidentally, for those of you who watched the post-game, Biden is absolutely right--the surge was a tactic, not a strategy. McCain's confusion on the difference--which he tried to use as an example of Obama not understanding things--should come to be viewed as a major gaffe.

• Big choices, think of long term
    Sept. 27, 2008 9:25 a.m.

With all that's going on inside America, I think its time we stop debating about going to war with other countries and what we can do to improve our image with our allies and to make new allies. I live abroad and know that the US has a horrible image in every single country. There is not one country where the majority of people believe that Americans are decent people. We self destruct within the US on our economy and our Christian duty to help one another. We need the inspirition of a new president and whoever wins, we need to support in the right efforts.
    As of now, McCain has not shown he is willing to compromise. His stand that we not talk with any other country because they don't believe the same as us is ludicrous. We don't agree with Brazil's lack of protecting the Amazon, yet we still talk with them. We don't agree with the invasion of Georgia, but we still talk with Russia?
    Obama has shown some spots, like his nomination acceptance speech that he is willing to compromise to serve the greater America. This year I vote Democrat even though I'm registered Republican.

• Dave
    Sept. 27, 2008 9:21 a.m.

Obama prepped for debate at a resort. McCain prepped at his home. This seems to be quite indicative and symbolic of the natures of these two men.

Regardless of age, McCain's experience is a true asset. Obama's tremendous lack of experience is a true liability.

McCain demonstrated his relationships with national and world leaders last night in his comments. It is well known that Obama has been largely MIA in the senate during his brief tenure. He has not put forth any meaningful legislation, did nothing on the senate committees he served.

Obama's relationships include terrorists who blew up police stations and the US Capital building, religious leaders who spew hatred and racism of the US, and men who helped him acquire real estate using tax payer dollars.

This current financial disaster is largely a result of 1992 democrats pushing Freddie and Fannie to accept more high-risk applicants for home mortgages. It is also a result of greed in America and Wall Street.

McCain's record of opposing pork barrell spending is legitimate, documented, and true. When this country needs a man to lead us toward fiscal responsibility, McCain is the man. Definitely not Obama and his resort.

• Hmm
    Sept. 27, 2008 9:15 a.m.

"John it has been Your President." Mr. Obama whether you like George W. Bush or not he is the President of the United States and is your President also. Makes me wonder where Obama will take us as President? Do we really need a novice as the leader of this Nation at this time when things are so dangerous?

• Jerry
    Sept. 27, 2008 9:13 a.m.

THe Grand Old Party use to have such great men like Ike who were controlled in finances and in the use of the military. They used to use diplomacy better than the Democrats. But not any more. The Republicans have turned into radical hot heads. This election I will be voting Democratic.

• SS
    Sept. 27, 2008 9:09 a.m.

I don't see how raising taxes will get us where we need to go. We keep hearing about "tax breaks for the rich," but those were merely a roll-back of the tax increases imposed by the Clinton Administration. The rich still pay by far a disproportionate share of taxes.

We don't want to end up like Sweden where you get taxed so heavily that there is no incentive to excel. The Democrats' desire for "sameness" scares me. There's nothing great about mediocrity and I'm sorry, but I'm not working my tail off and taking risks without some kind of reward.

"Everyone wants to be normal, but no one wants to be average."

• whc
    Sept. 27, 2008 9:04 a.m.

McCain keeps lauding his support of the surge and how well it is working. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that if you overrun Iraq with soldiers it will have an effect. Why not reinstitute the draft and send over 1,000,000 or 2,000,000 "peacekeepers"? The real question is -should we be over there at all? I have heard no rationale explanation as to how conditions will be different if we stay there for 5 years or even 100 years under the Bush/McCain plan vs declaring victory/job done and leaving in 16 months. McCain had no comeback whatsoever when Obama stated (accurately) that he was wrong before the start of the Iraq war with regard to the difficulty of the operation, WMD etc. Iraq is playing the U.S. for a fool. They have a $79billion surplus subsidzied by us!

• Re: M.Wilson
    Sept. 27, 2008 8:59 a.m.

Let me preface my comments by stating I am still undecided as to which candidate I will vote for in November. But I do take issue with a few of your observsations. Did you really think Obama looked "presidential" or are you just spouting the same rhtoric as your presumed friends on MSNBC?

Also, we know McCain has a bold vision regarding national security. We've known that for years. His debate on the subject was nothing new. However, Sen. Obama's restatement that he'd go into Pakistan and use impermissible force to catch terrorists and "take'em out," was surprisingly bold and unexpected from a man who has cearly stated that he'd rather partake in non-preconditioned dialogue with some of the world's most dangerous leaders than "prolong" any lasting or warranted tension. I don't know if Obama was trying to sound tough on camera to prove himself an able commander and chief, but his comments on Pakistan, Afghanistan and Russia gave me little reason to believe this country will no longer be war scathed for many years in the future.

• Issues
    Sept. 27, 2008 8:57 a.m.

Respect: I don't care which side of the isle you are on, repeatedly referring to your opponent by his first name shows a lack of respect and class. I know it's a mood point, but is one that struck me repeatedly during the debate. Also, it is one thing to talk over a moderator. It is quite another to interrupt your opponent in the middle of his remarks. I wonder if, when tallying the time, they took into account every "no John", chuckle, and mumble that Sen. Obama made.

Health Care: I work in the health care industry as a nurse. How Sen. Obama intends to implement universal health care in lieu of the bailout and still cut taxes is laughable. He went as far as to criticize Medicare and Medicaid. I am curious: what program does he intend to use to provide universal health care? Can we trust someone with this issue who voted against the expansion of CHIP? Wouldn't universal health care include children? I suppose they don't vote.

National Security: How many wars has Sen. Obama been in? Does he support a withdrawal, or a buildup of troops in Iraq and Afghanistan?

• Maggie
    Sept. 27, 2008 8:56 a.m.

Barack Obama did 'understand' according to national polls. Agreeing with what one feels is a correct statement is a sign of intelligence and strength, not a sign of weakness. Obama agreed and disagreed from that same premise. He demonstrated himself as the best kind of leader by doing exactly that. Keep in mind folks, John McCain selected Sarah Palin as his running mate (have you actually listened to her - she's disastrous), and the antics he pulled this week have shown fundamental problems with his judgment and yes, his character. Mr. McCain will always stand as a war hero, but as he exposes the man he is today it's pretty plain something in the heart of that hero died somewhere along the way.

• MEB
    Sept. 27, 2008 8:53 a.m.

I missed the debate. I opted for the Dennis Miller concert instead, which had a much higher entertainment value, and probably a lot more politically accurate.

I've read three articles on line, and it looks like there were no surprises. The debate seems to have been a draw. I guess we'll have to wait for the next one.

• Ron
    Sept. 27, 2008 8:41 a.m.

It's plain
    McCain
    Should reign.

Obama speaks
    in vain,
    and brings to my ears
    pain.

• RE: M. Wilson
    Sept. 27, 2008 8:40 a.m.

After the debate was over, McCain went back to Washington DC to help with the current situation. Mr. Obama who is also a senator, hit the campaign trail again so that he could stand in front of the camera and tell us what he would do if he were president. He cant even ACT like a good senator why would he be a good president?

• Alex
    Sept. 27, 2008 8:35 a.m.

From the time that the greeted one another on stage to the time they shook hands at the end, McCain didn't look at Obama once. When Obama challenged him on subjects, he at times looked uncomfortable and squirmed about. Obama seemed calm, cool, and collected. McCain wouldn't let things go, he kept dragging on over points. I counted twice that Obama turned back to the moderator, and said "let's move on."
    Obama had a great debate. While I felt both started strong, Obama consistently was collected and calm.

• kathyn
    Sept. 27, 2008 8:30 a.m.

I was more impressed with McCain than Obama. But McCain said "Obama doesn't understand" a few too many times. However, I think he was right that there are too many things that Obama does not understand. I'm still leaning to vote for Ron Paul.

• Obama lost
    Sept. 27, 2008 8:22 a.m.

I was not impressed with Obama. He is great on oration---but, obviously no so good on his feet with quick responses. Obama is just to slick for me!

• Anonymous
    Sept. 27, 2008 8:12 a.m.

McCain spanked Obama?? Yeah right. CNN, CBS, Wall Street Journal, CSMonitor, all declared the debate a win for Obama. But in your estimation he was "spanked" by McCain. Bias, much? Even Fox News declared it a draw.

• KingM
    Sept. 27, 2008 7:58 a.m.

I thought both men sounded much better informed and articulate than the current clown in the White House. Whoever is president, at least he'll be an improvement.

Sept. 27, 2008 7:53 a.m.

Yes, I wish the debate could have gone on longer. Obama looked and acted presidential, calm and deliberate. McCain used old lines and slammed, slammed, slammed.

In the long run, Obama is the better choice. And when you consider the vp candidates, it is Obama all the way.

Great debate. Wish it could have gone on longer.

PS_ Obama, thank you for not getting down in the mud. You could have talked about Palin's taking of earmarks but you didn't. You were above the nit picking and acted presidential. That's why you get my vote.

• WinSum
    Sept. 27, 2008 7:52 a.m.

Obama would have no argument without pointing the blame on Bush Policies....sounds like no thoughts of his own without having a talking point memo from other liberals. Nice looking, but an empty suit without true convictions on anything except, cut, run and blame....Puppet with strings attached...?

McCain has his own opinions and values and a record to evaluate.....seems he's actually shown up to vote as a Senator.....not just held the title and very few "votes"or "accomplishments."

• Anonymous
    Sept. 27, 2008 7:48 a.m.

McCain did not "spank" Obama, and anyone who thought so was already leaning towards McCain.

It was a good debate. Slow, a little predictable. Obama is very good on his feet but we already knew that but McCain did better than everyone thought.

He looked very old and slow. His eye palsy is getting worse. Look at pics from him from three years ago - his left eye is very droopy. A vote for him is a vote for Palin.

• fair and balanced
    Sept. 27, 2008 7:39 a.m.

Our ecomomy is in ruins and McCain wants to continue to spend $10Billion a month on a stupid conflict? Bring our troops home invest in our defense system in the USA.

• me
    Sept. 27, 2008 7:25 a.m.

The Wal-Mart anology seems better fit to have on canidate as the greeter/mccain and the obama as the store manager.

• M. Wilson
    Sept. 27, 2008 7:04 a.m.

Really? It made me think that we should wait for another Harbor or WTC attack. ANOTHER NOTE Why not call him Senator Mccain instead of John the entire time? John made it clear that it was; Senator Obabmas!

• USA
    Sept. 27, 2008 6:53 a.m.

WalMart Greeter = McCain
    Store Manager = Obama

You can learn from the Greeters, when they have some good points (i agree, i agree) but you would never let them run the store.

It was a debate, a very civil debate where Obama would not be so partisan, that he always disagreed.
    McCain truly does not understand we can not afford to spend $10 billion a month on a stupid conflict that leads us to finical ruin.
    Yep, the spanking took place but it was the old warrior that recieved it this time.... and I was going to vote for McCain. It is time for a CHANGE..

• $3 million bear study in MT
    Sept. 27, 2008 6:33 a.m.

I loved how McCain got right into the $3 million bear DNA student in Montana, and how that was a waste of tax payer money! Boy, the bear study is really draining America's wealth... GIVE ME A BREAK! Why was McCain harping on $18 billion in earmarks when he's going to give big corporations another $300 BILLION in tax breaks -- including oil! Which will have a greater impact on the federal budget? Bears or more tax breaks for corporations? Obama isn't opposed to tax cuts -- he just wants to target them more strategically to better reach our goals. When McCain said he'd freeze all budgets with a few exceptions, this is the same Bush mentality of "cut everything" without really analyzing what's worth savings and cutting. We need a strong intellectual in the White House who understands strategy when in comes to budgeting and meeting America's objectives of freeing us from foreign oil, expanding healthcare, and keeping jobs in America. McCain's across the board "freezing" of federal money is simply another blunder that will further cripple America's domestic infrastructure and economy! McCain kept accusing Obama of not understanding strategy versus tactics. Please!! McCain really showed he didn't know!

• No Obama
    Sept. 27, 2008 6:21 a.m.

Obama wouldn't directly answer any questions. He kept skirting around the question and gave a lot of "Uh, Uh's" I also didn't like it when he said, "I have a band too" like a 6 year old would say.

McCain was direct and showed he had experience. He gave real life experience and he understands that our terrorist enemies WILL re group if we back out of Iraq.

If Obama gets in office he will pull the troops out just to gain popularity then we WILL see more attacks on U.S. soil.

I don't want McCain because I'm concerned that he will continue the war BUT I DON'T WANT OBAMA because I'm concerned he will back out of the war.

Two evils here. We must pick the lesser of the two evils and that is McCain.

• Republican
    Sept. 27, 2008 6:09 a.m.

Where are all the other Democrats on this board, trying to tell us what a wonderful debate Obama had?

-silence-

crickets?

• Amazing
    Sept. 27, 2008 6:06 a.m.

We were amazed at the debating strength of both of them.

Bro. Obama has always been the smoother talker, but Bro. McCain matched him at that, and both demonstrated the ability to think under fire

• Diplomacy?
    Sept. 27, 2008 5:50 a.m.

One of the problems we have now in the US is having an administration that wants to agree with very few countries in the world. Therefore we are always spending and fighting on our own. This illicit, bullheaded attitude towards other peoples and countries has put us in the Iraq situation we are in. It is a big contributor to our economy fiasco we are experiencing at the present. I have seen enough of McDuff and his arrogance. For sure that thing he has picked for a VP doesn't impress many. Why would we want 4 more of the last 8? His spending cut promises are lies. And don't even get me started about defending the Jews in Israel. What have they got that contributes to anything here other than transplants? There again talk about a countries rotten attitude towards others, they have it. Mind your own business, bring our national troops home, and protect our country, let others fend for themselves. I'm tired of being the protector of the world, and financing every one else.

• McCain wouldn't look at Obama
    Sept. 27, 2008 5:41 a.m.

From a performance point of view, McCain refused to look at Obama when making points whereas Obama constantly turned to his opponent to direct issues and accusations at him. This was a sign of strong confidence that McCain clearly lacked -- almost like he was afraid to "confront" his opponent. I wonder how McCain may negotiate with difficult world leaders by not offering direct eye contact... but then there was a whole debate about not even having any communication with difficult world leaders, so McCain may never need to look directly at them. I loved the line where McCain accused Obama for having one of the most liberal records in the Senate, and Obama shot back, seemingly unrehearsed and off the cuff, to say that his "liberal" record is only because he's opposed George Bush every step of the way! McCain kept saying "Obama doesn't get it," and yet, Obama appeared to have his facts and understanding of issues well thought out. Obama was clearly the winner!

• Hello
    Sept. 27, 2008 1:45 a.m.

Mccain lectured Obama like an angry old man. It was a pretty even match up but this was supposed to be Mccain's strong point. Expect Obama to torch him when they debate about the economy.

• DaviD O
    Sept. 27, 2008 1:43 a.m.

McCain, 90% Bush agreements, that is way too much even for 4 more years. Enough of this silliness. How can he claim he will change Washington when he agrees with the people who are causing the problems so much?

• Anonymous
    Sept. 27, 2008 1:26 a.m.

McCain said: "Mr. Obama you just don't understand."

Mr. Obama said: "I agree, I agree, I agree."
    Debate?
    Ha-Ha- Ha-

• great debate?
    Sept. 27, 2008 1:18 a.m.

McCain spanked Obama like a 3 year old at Wal-Mart.

• Lowell
    Sept. 27, 2008 1:12 a.m.

Honestly both candidates had me nodding my head sometimes, and shaking my head others, almost in equal measure. I went in definitely favoring Obama, but I came out not so sure. I liked McCain more than I thought I would, that's for sure, although I disliked his frequent slights towards Obama, and the way he often ignores the moderator's questions in order to keep beating a dead horse trying to get his last point across. Obama, on the other hand, was quite well articulated, but did his own fair share of dodging difficult questions.

Bottom line, I came down liking McCain's attitude towards spending (i.e. cut it) and nuclear energy (i.e. use it), but being repelled as always by his smug attitude towards foreign relations and Iraq. I thought Obama did pretty well, but his hesitance to give definitive/committed answers to some of the questions left me feeling a little unsettled.

• M.Wilson
    Sept. 27, 2008 12:33 a.m.

I believe that Obama had a great debate! He looked and acted Presidential. McCain made me feel that he would go to war with any country if he did not like them...scary! I have always voted for Rep. Party but not this time around. Go Obama!