Professor tells Iraqi women's stories

• I agree with Jeanne:
    Sept. 22, 2008 2:49 p.m.

I have read over the past 20 years of women in the middle east being subject to abuse, one that comes to mind is one woman who had her nose cut off by her husband because he felt she disrespected him and another that had acid thrown into her face by her husband.

With regards to Saddam Hussein and his sons, they had torture chambers in some of their homes, and so many women were dealing with the torture and killings of their husbands prior to the war. I am not defending war by no means but their was great ugliness before the US invaded Iraq.

• JanSan
    Sept. 22, 2008 9:20 a.m.

I agree that their are a lot of innocent people being killed in Iraq- etc.. But there are also a lot of innocent people being killed in car bombs and other tatics that are not in Iraq. Recently the bombing of the Marriote. What about all the Iraq women who set off these bombs themselves !!! and send there children out with bomb strapped to there bodies for the glory of Allah! and get praise for what they have done. I fear and feel for the innocent women there - But also realize that NOT ALL are so innocent.

• jeanne
    Sept. 22, 2008 8:21 a.m.

Yes, Laura, war is a terrible thing and it always entails the death of innocent victims. Ask the people in Europe. They lost loved ones as the Allies dropped bombs to liberate France, Uk etc..from the grip of a brutal and crazy dictator (Hitler). No war is clean unfortunately; does it mean that we let people suffer at the hands of sadistic evil tyrants like Saddam Hussein? Laura, had you had a chance to interview Iraqui women under the old regime, they would have had horrendous stories to tell as well. Sunnis and Shiites have hated each other and destroyed each other for thousand of year. Why don't we talk about that as the real reason for all the disturbing events going on there? True,these women are innocent victims and I do hope that once a semblance of democracy is established there, they will enjoy a much better life but let's not try and insinuate that, before the war, their lives were a bed of roses.

Laura, I do hope you are a religious person and will turn to your God for peace and healing.

Best wishes

Sept. 22, 2008 8:21 a.m.

I'm getting ready to send my husband to Iraq for a tour of duty. The struggles ahead of me and my three young children pale in comparison with with those of mothers in war zones all over the world. **Thank you** for doing this project. I cannot wait to see the documentary.

BTW, opulence makes me barf, too.

• Re: Turid
    Sept. 22, 2008 7:11 a.m.

I don't mean to go off subject but to Turid's comment I write that first it was 9/11 and second in the article when you read of people being pulled off a bus and executed or husbands being cut into 47 pieces it is not the U.S. doing these horrible things. The violence in that part of the world did not start in 2003, when this current war began, but many years before. Those countries were not at a time of peace and safety for its 'innocent people. Those families, the men women and children have been suffering from the evils of their own government for years. This is not a new thing. I don't even begin to understand the suffering of these people but I will never blame our President for what is going on there. U.S. soldiers are not to blame for there being refugees from Iraq. It is the hatred of one religion towards another. U.S. troops are not only there to kill, but to protect the people of Iraq from those who feel they have no right to live, from their former president/dictator Saddam Hussein. Without the invasion of Iraq we here in America... Cont.

• Susy
    Sept. 22, 2008 6:59 a.m.

What do you expect when you go on war?
    That there only American victims?
    We have a lot of Iraqi refugees here too and the
    stories the kids tell their teacher (my husband)
    are not very different from Mrs. Hamblin`s stories.

There are no "clean wars". It`s only the innocent
    people who suffer.

• eve
    Sept. 22, 2008 6:50 a.m.

Thank you Laura for your courage. How blessed we are and how discouraging to hear what the war has caused to innocent people. I look forward to hearing more about your stories.

• poignant
    Sept. 22, 2008 6:34 a.m.

Bless your heart, Laura. What else can I say?....

• Turid
    Sept. 22, 2008 6:27 a.m.

The American people should know that when the President of The United States decided to invade Iraq, he also declared war on innocent people: families, men women, children and elderly, whp now are suffering in terrible ways. The US can never make up for the lives disrupted and destroyed, neither for the horrors that have ensued.
    I don't know what the answer is to the women and their families whose lives will never be anything normal or happy again.
    Shame on the President, shame on his government, and shame on us who did nothing to stop this outrage, but let the cries of "7/11" and"weapons of mass destruction" guide our thinking.
    How stupid!

• zezette
    Sept. 22, 2008 6:13 a.m.

Thank you for your work on behalf of our sisters. You are leaving a significant mark in their lives and in mine.

• Austin Day
    Sept. 22, 2008 5:55 a.m.

made me think as my son leaves again for Iraq about the truth that lies over there. Best told by women and mothers...thank you

• cg
    Sept. 22, 2008 4:35 a.m.

Once you light a candle in a dark place, many will gather to it..."let your light so shine before men". If this is the path you have chosen may you have the courage and the will to " carry on " and never let your light go out. Illuminate the world and be the "city on a hill" that the rest of us may see and find our way. Honesty and a clear vision is what is much needed in these times. I look forward to seeing your documentary. Your words have reinforced my belief that we should not retreat from carrying our "light" into all the dark places of the world, no matter how hard the road or high the price...I think it's worth it. How else will those in the dark find their way to have what we have,and isn't that what we ultimately want? For them to have what we have, so there will be "no poor among us". (Poor in the fullest sense of the word.)You are making the world a better place.