Lawmakers support Tavaputs drilling project

• TJ
    Jan. 23, 2010 5:07 p.m.

Many do not see the whole picture. This is on the fence. Bill is a billionaire that cares about Bill. Extreme environmentalists are some harsh at the same time. Everyone has lost jobs. It is unfortunate. At the same time do you honestly think Bill cares about your family? Money talks, has it walked? I agree with George. Look at what is layed out before you.

• rob
    Jan. 15, 2009 9:55 p.m.

As I work in the oil and gas industry in the uintah basin, I cannot see a down fall to the drilling at all. As it will keep so many people employed between carbon, duchesne, and uintah counties. I believe that people out weigh history. If we do not have the jobs to sustaine life we cannot enjoy the history that has been layed before us. I do not see any one fighting for our jobs and our lives but they will fight for the jobs lost in the big cities. And just to let you all know they benefit from this drilling as much if not more than we do. Yes we can sell the gas to other states but in know way will it raise the price of Natural gas in our state. Just pull your heads our and really take a look at what it will do for our state and counties in tax revenue. I SAY DRILL BABY DRILL!!

• bullelkman
    Nov. 9, 2008 8:23 a.m.

I live and work in the basin, I do not work in the oil or gas industry. As I see it, if it was not for oil & gas production the basin would be non
    existant. Our stores would close, people would move away and the tax base; that also provides income to the basin; would drop. We would have to travel even more than we do now to get our goods & services
    like food & health care. I am for preserving the country way of life but we also have to grow up with the times. Our families are starting families and so on. Where are all of our sons & daughters & grand children going to work, the FARMS? We all know how that industry is from year to year. Not a great big money maker. Most of the ranchers & farmers I know work in the oil fields so they can pay for their farms. So let's look at this as if we do not drill we will have to move to the cities to get work. I am not for that, are you?

• George
    Oct. 11, 2008 10:38 a.m.

I observe the following facts:
    1) this drilling will make more gas available
    2) the additional gas will be sold mostly out of state
    3) to get the highest prices, Barrett will send it out of state and try to create the largest market possible
    4) a larger market will make gas more expensive for Utah residents
    5) with a larger market, the gas price will climb and approach the equity energy cost of oil
    6) some financial benefit in the form of royalties and some increased local spending will result
    7) Utah families, as a whole, will end up paying more, as the immediate price of gas will easily overshadow any indirect state and local economic advantage
    8) Don't trust Barrett nor the environmentalists to give you correct numbers nor a fair perspective on this issue

• David
    Sept. 20, 2008 4:48 a.m.

I don't think it matters who receives any obtained energy as it is part of "our" earth, but will positively impact Utah's job market and make us less dependent upon foreign resources. I have spent time in the Uinta Basin and all agencies: Counties, DWR, Gas/Oil Co's & subsidaries, local sub-contractors, BLM, etc. involved with drilling are making big improvments to environment: roads, clearcutting, seeding, guzzlers (watering holes in gulches & draws), renewal of disturbed land, etc. making it better than original, - wow! Come out to Ouray/Book Cliffs area with me for first hand look-see - Drill now!

• Dave
    Sept. 18, 2008 9:20 p.m.

I can't believe the shallowness of Dilbo's comment. Does he assume that no Utah natural gas gets shipped out of state now? I can't figure out Dilbo's logic that shipping part of the newly-discovered natural gas out of state will "increase" the price of natural gas in Utah.

• Dilbo
    Sept. 18, 2008 1:11 p.m.

I thought I was in favor of Tavaputs.

But KSL is reporting that this gas would be shipped OUT OF STATE, and that would lead to HIGHER gas prices for Utahns.

I find it hard to get excited about that!

• Jeff
    Sept. 18, 2008 9:15 a.m.

To Uintah Basin Res: ALL legislators and county officials in Carbon and Duschesne support the Tavaputs project, as do more than 70% of residents in those counties.

• Eh?
    Sept. 18, 2008 8:44 a.m.

So, let me get this straight. Did they admit in the meeting that their commercials lie about the impact of their drilling on the price of natural gas in Utah? For shame.

• Josh
    Sept. 18, 2008 8:27 a.m.

As long as they are mindful or the surrounding environment and envorce a minimal impact attitude it should be a good deal for the economy in the area. Sure the iron horse drill rigs are going to be an eye sore but its still pretty minimal impact to the area. My vote is get the drilling started.

• Uintah Basin res
    Sept. 18, 2008 8:04 a.m.

I read this story and not one rep was mentioned from Duchesne or Carbon County. To Nephi, Taylorsville, Kanab, Sandy, and any other city, You don't live here, you city folk have no understanding of our rural communities. How can you say drill on our lands when you have probably never even been this way. Thanks for the rush to endorse 9 mile!

• Anonymous
    Sept. 18, 2008 7:45 a.m.

I feel, "If you drill or dig it in Utah, you sell it in Utah", THEN you can peddle the excess in the US.

• mnhusker