Study shows property-tax rates are low

• JE
    Oct. 13, 2009 8:28 p.m.

Several states around have provided seniors some help in reduced taxes and also seniors can fish and hunt with out purchasing lic. and have use of state park without fees--how about Utah helping seniors a little bit

• Lawrence, Moab
    Oct. 30, 2008 9:53 a.m.

My property taxes showed a quadruple increase on land alone, this year. I also did not receive an early notice. You can imagine what a surprise, as the economy declines along with house values. I understand it is too late to due anything now, but have been without income for over two years now. I was under the impression that your income was used to adjust your property tax rate? I see that we have a newly edited bill, which by the way, doesn't compare previous tax years. If you did not receive your early "bill-copy", please comment.

• how about showing us
    Oct. 10, 2008 12:33 p.m.

the tax information comes from the study presented by the calif prop13 guy and the state tax guy from the state of texas

see the several tax committee mtg minutes up on the hill for your proof .. not me ... outside sources not even tied to this state ...

we are so stupid in this state about numbers and how those numbers are being presented to the common person in this state ....

remember .. incumbents out .. challengers in

• To randy
    Sept. 25, 2008 9:56 a.m.

How 'bout showing us which reliable study says that Utah has high property taxes? The fact is, we don't.

The only people who favor Prop 13-style policies are people who want other folks to pay their bills. Grow up people and take some responsibility.

• randy
    Sept. 23, 2008 9:08 a.m.

yea .. your property tax bill is defeniately temporary ... temporary is the fact that you cant make the tax payment and therefore are removed from your house .... how temporary is that ??

interesting that this story implies that utahns dont really pay that much in property tax ... but how then can the outside states say that utah is the 8th highest property taxing paying state ...

it is because this state doesnt generate that much money .. so those that do pay continue to pay until of course they cant .. and then what and who will be paying the debits of this state ...

prop13 has to be inacted otherwise .. you too will be temporary in your dwelling

• tell the truth
    Sept. 22, 2008 2:03 a.m.

Is it true that Rep Neil Hansen from ogden has filed a bill that will roll back property taxes to the time when you bought you home and not what the assessor might think what your home is worth. Get on them Rep. Hansen I'm with you and I think that other will feel that it is the democrats that are looking out for the people and not the republicans. vote democrat!!!!!

• Cyberian
    Sept. 18, 2008 10:30 a.m.

My home, in rural Utah, is worth about $150,000. My property taxes are about $475 this year.

My daughter paid about $155,000 a year ago for her home in an urban mid-west city. Her property taxes are over $3000 per year.

I'm not saying my taxes are too low--they went up 30% this year. But by comparison, they are not as much a burden as they could be. My household income is about double my daughter's too.

• You people crack me up
    Sept. 18, 2008 8:00 a.m.

The real reason you hate the property tax is because it is effective. Contrary to what was said earlier, the property tax is comparatively cheap to collect, and it will remain so until someone figures out how to move real property across the state line. Once the property tax bill becomes final, every penny gets collected because the real property is collateral. Comparatively, there is a ton of fraud with the sales and income tax. My experience is that the folks who complain the loudest are the ones who are already dodging their fair share of the income and sales tax and are just sour because the property tax is harder to game. I especially liked the suggestion that we go to a fee so the folks in mansions can pay the same as for a shack the way they pay the same on a Lexus as a poor person pays on a Yugo. Oh, and don't beat up on the assessor, he's just splitting the check. Other elected officials are the ones who decide how much revenue needs to be collected from the property tax.

• Mr. J
    Sept. 18, 2008 7:47 a.m.

If government needs to tax us to provide required or other services the citizens demand, so be it. Property taxes on your primary dwelling however are immoral because the are a tax on a necessity of life. Utah and other states who do this should be ashamed of themselves. Also with property taxes, you never truly own your home. Fail to pay your taxes for five years and the government essentially kicks you out and makes you homeless. Yes the schools need money. I for one would much rather give the schools and other entities my tax dollars through a sales tax rather than property tax. It happens a little at a time and I wouldn't every have to worry about losing my house at a tax sale for not paying my property taxes.

• Bob G
    Sept. 18, 2008 4:37 a.m.

Tax rates are not what is regulating taxes on property. This has become the valuation methods of raising property taxes. The legislators are the ones that should be monitoring and controling taxation on property and values. We have one man, the county assesor acting as legislator for taxation which is not in his powers of office. Legislators can't hide behind their inaction with lies while using deceit to get around the laws of taxation. We need changes in taxation laws to include valuation as the responsibility of legislators. Valuations are being used improperly and immorally to raise taxes and our legislators know this. They are living a lie and trying to convince us that they are not responsible when in fact they are responsible. Valuations have become irresponsible and very inaccurate too closely connected to inaccurate market pricing. This cloak and dagger game has gone on long enough and they can't keep hidding and shirking their duties on taxation without representation. Who knows if these same legislators are not telling county assesors to increase valutations for tax increase so they don't have to have a legislative discussion about it. It all hinges on one word, rates.

• Dan Knudsen
    Sept. 18, 2008 12:44 a.m.

Last year we paid $1059.93 in property taxes on our house. Our house is not a large house; we bought in 1970 for $19,500; taxes were $125. Its now taxed at $193,800--has it's value really gone up that much?

Im for taxes staying the same from when you bought your house, and only increase when the house is sold. That would solve the seniors taxes problem--even if it didnt take effect until age 65 and retirement happened.

I remember all the hoopla years ago in Orem about how attracting businesses to the city would lower our property taxes--except that the only taxes lowered were for the businesses who came in, and ours kept going up.

So, how many more lies about our taxes will they tell us? How do you tell when a government bureaucrat is lying? Almost anytime they make a statement explaining whats happening to you.

John--3:33 pm: Isnt your reasonable, responsible family size responsible for taxes going up? Our irresponsibly-sized familys children are now paying more in taxes than yours are, so our fair share is being more than covered (since none are on welfare). Are you sure your fair share is being covered as well?

• Yeah, but....
    Sept. 17, 2008 11:54 p.m.

Bob forgets to mention that Utah's tax burden is one of the highest in the nation.

• memory
    Sept. 17, 2008 10:45 p.m.

This article was brought to you by a lobbyist lackey. It's "funny" that this article was even published.

• ME
    Sept. 17, 2008 10:42 p.m.

Taxes are something we are always going to have to pay but what I want is a fare way of determining what we pay for property taxes. Anybody have any good ideas? I like the idea of a fee based on house size, land, and utilities. As for losing deductions, its peanuts compared to what we would be saving by a fee based property tax.

• dbradford
    Sept. 17, 2008 10:06 p.m.

I love paying rent to the government on my house i own. So now they want to raise the rent? Let's totally ruin the housing market by raising property taxes.

Idiots!!!!! This is Utah and our lawmakers are looking more and more like big state lawmakers; no common sense!!!!!!!!

Time to move from Utah!!!! Other states are offering some pretty nice and cheap incentives to move to their states. And hey, I hear they pump more money in to education too. My kids just might be better off outside of Utah anyway.

Bye Utah!!!

• Lee
    Sept. 17, 2008 9:55 p.m.

Proposition 13 was a disaster for California. It had a very negative effect on property tax policies. The cap is like a price control and the market is not able to adjust changes in home values. A homes tax value today, with a cap, is going to create a terrible defecit in 20 years.

• DBG
    Sept. 17, 2008 9:45 p.m.

@3:46: I agree, except you forgot one thing. Many of the taxes on property are passed by voters, especially if district bonds/levies are on the ballot.

• Craig
    Sept. 17, 2008 9:21 p.m.

We are dealing with property taxes not income taxes. This type of hocus pocus and comparing to average income is full of deceat. It is like the sales person that will sell you a brand new car with all the options for $30.00 a week. (a ten year loan and big ballon payment)Property taxes compared to market conditions are way too high in most parts of the state. The first time in 22 years I appealed. There numbers did not match with what had sold in the neighborhood. We need a tax revolt and encourage 100% of property owners to appeal next year. My property taxes are way less than 1% of the states budget. Do you really want my money. This shows the stupidity in their so called study.

• BLAH!!!!!
    Sept. 17, 2008 6:11 p.m.

I paid about 3% of my income in property taxes last year. I feel ripped off. I seriously am SICK of paying for an education system that I persoally used for only 6 years of my life and may not even WANT my kids to use. The rest of my education was paid by my parents overseas. So I am a huge fan of pay-per-student.You want education, pay for it yourself. Stop making grandma, gramps, and newly weds with a HOUSE subsidize your kids education.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 17, 2008 5:51 p.m.

WE ARE ALL ON FIX INCOMES if they didn't have so many kids we would have lower taxes. If they didn't have that second home in St George or in Nevada theyy could pay more. Age has nothing to do with what your property is worth.

• Truth-Sayer
    Sept. 17, 2008 5:49 p.m.

Government needs taxes for to work---but property taxes are the most ungodly, thieving and coniving system ever devised!

Ownership of property is one of the hallmsrks of freedom. We don't really own our property if government can take it away. Government doesn't stop there---we are taxed again with the "death tax."

It's time for a complete housecleaning in our government---a government that is committing highway robberty upon the citizens who support it.

There are other ways to levy taxes and raise revenue other than allowing the government to have the keys to our homes and property.

Abolish this ungodly form of taxation once and for all!

• Too low?
    Sept. 17, 2008 5:15 p.m.

Are they simply comparing Utah's property taxes against other state's property taxes? I know that Utah would seem low compared to Washington State, but Washington has no state income tax and higher sales tax rates (but not on food). So things tend to balance out.

I thought that an overall study showed that Utah is one of the highest taxed states when all things are accounted for.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 17, 2008 4:51 p.m.

What a dumb article. We pay so many bloody taxes and they are arguing that we only pay 1% of our income to property tax!?! One more reason to hate politics.

• Common Sense
    Sept. 17, 2008 4:48 p.m.

Rowland said retired seniors still living in their big house have lower incomes than the big house would call for. HOW DARE HIM. You work all your life to pay off your house and the government decides you now have too big of house. In MY OPINION there should be now PROPERTY TAX at all, you never can own property if the Government taxes it. Real Property should be off limits.

• Tony McGuire
    Sept. 17, 2008 4:42 p.m.

"only 1 percent to 3.5 percent of their income"

Who says 'ONLY'?

Part of the problem is that our taxes aren't based on ANYTHING other than the various governments and agencies saying 'I want $...' and then adjustments are made in order to generate that much money.

In some states at least taxes are based on real value. In Utah the state declares what your property's value is in order to get however much booty they want to spend.

Even in an economic downturn. House value decrease? Well, notice that your LAND value increased to compensate - and many report total 'value' means they are actually paying MORE in hard times.

• JM
    Sept. 17, 2008 4:17 p.m.

Anyone else find it ironic that PROPERTY tax is being rated as a function of INCOME? Silly me, I thought there was a reason we had separate INCOME tax and PROPERTY tax. Shouldn't the rate at which PROPERTY tax is assessed be irrelevant to income?

• no more taxes
    Sept. 17, 2008 4:05 p.m.

And why would we trust our legistlative folks, they will rob us blind in taxes and fees and since when did my income have to do with the value of my property. Should I be taxed so that I cannot afford to live in my meager holding

• The government owns all property
    Sept. 17, 2008 3:46 p.m.

You don't believe me, don't pay your property taxes and see who really owns your property. We need to move away from a system that makes it impossible to ever own your home free and clear, all you have is a indefinite leasehold interest. Not only that who would sign a lease where the owner (the government) can increase your rent anytime they want, and if you can't afford to pay it, sorry you're out of luck.

We need to move away from taxing assets that people have and tax transactions. I would be for a larger tax on transfers of properties (sales tax), but there is no good reason that the government should be entitled to any citizens property. We need taxes to pay for certain services but it shouldn't be through our homes and property.

• sadie
    Sept. 17, 2008 3:40 p.m.

I think there should be some tax reductions for senior citizens. We work for years to pay off our homes and then can't afford to pay the taxes.

On a fixed income, it is impossible to save enough during the year to pay the taxes. Why can't we give some relief to seniors?

• Morgan
    Sept. 17, 2008 3:35 p.m.

The only reason for a study like this is to justify raising taxes! How about a study that compares actual sales price with value assigned by the assessor? The valuation of my home up 40% last year and an additional 40% this year. How is this possible when sales prices are falling? I'm sure that my appeal will result in a smaller increase, but I have no doubts that it will increase.

Tax man, I'm willing to pay my fair share. If I believed that everyone, including special interests, lobbyists, friends and family of the rich and powerful were all valued on the same scale, I would only complain ~1/2 as much.

• John
    Sept. 17, 2008 3:33 p.m.

You can't have it both ways. People in UT complain about wage stagnation. Well, to increase wages means to increase the cost of goods. And for people that work for the state, that means increasing taxes.

Then other people think it's unfair to pay property tax even though they have 5 kids in school. Well who would you like to pay for your kid's education? It's not free. You've got 5+ kids in school and you think your financial responsibility for them is food and clothing only? No. You have to pay your fair share for schooling, etc.

Stop blaming it on the illegals. You are paying way less than your fair share for your 10 kids than those of us with reasonable, responsible family sizes. It's YOUR fault the costs are going up!

• ME
    Sept. 17, 2008 3:29 p.m.

Deductions on $2K is not going to make up for when your house doubles in value. Yes fees will go up but they atleast they can be voted on unlike your house doubling in value.

• GO Mam Go
    Sept. 17, 2008 3:28 p.m.

What retired person has not worked, worked & saved saved to retire only to have others take take in taxes . What incentive is there for hard work to save so the tax payer doesn't have to support you only to have others say you have too much - so now cough up and pay out in taxes. Who decides how much is more than you need. Who pays your medical bills when you can't work anymore or need help. Unless your in a cardboard box, the government will not help you. Yes taxes should be fair - who decides what is fair. Unless you have lived in many other shoes, do not qualify yourself as the one to decide the tax base.

• to liberal tax man
    Sept. 17, 2008 2:59 p.m.

I don't mind paying for services, but less taxes, and less for you do and you will be living with the illegals. "Compassion" we have it, but what about the crime some bring, the use of emergency room medical care, our SS, our school burdens, ALL THE MONEY THEY SEND BACK TO THEIR COUNTRIES,right, compassion. No one is complaining about having to pay for services,its that the govn't needs to learn to live within a budget like the real world. Mr Obama supporter, keep taking from the rich to pay the poor and they will be the poor too and then who will give us money. You're a joke!

• bhparkman
    Sept. 17, 2008 2:09 p.m.

bhparkman to Legislature: Our homes are not your piggy banks!!!

• Tax Man
    Sept. 17, 2008 2:04 p.m.

Come on people. We need to have taxes. We need to pay for schools and roads. We need to have police. We need to have firefighters. We can all pay our fair share. The more you have the more you should pay. As for illegals, they have nothing. The all live in the same house because they cant afford individual houses. Have some compassion. I say we tax the rich because they pray upon the poor. Stop whining about having to pay for services.

• re: ME
    Sept. 17, 2008 2:03 p.m.

Be careful what you ask for if what you want is a fee instead of a tax on your real property. Taxes on real property are deductible on your Federal income tax. Fees are not. You will wind up throwing away more money in deductions than you would save in property taxes. And who says your fees won't go up, either?

• Lower House tax Exemption
    Sept. 17, 2008 1:58 p.m.

Without taxes we would have no government services. I don't like taxes any more than the next guy, but its nice to know that Utah is one of the lower taxing states.

Many people I know have much more house than they need, they are house poor. Next time you buy a house, buy it with the view that you need to live within your means.

Also the legislature might want to raise the house exemption on property tax the next time they want to doll out tax cuts, this would give the common people a bigger break for a change.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 17, 2008 1:19 p.m.

I pay $2,200 with an income of $50,000.

• Harry
    Sept. 17, 2008 12:54 p.m.

Does Bob Bernick, Jr work for the politicians? Telling us to put a reverse mortgage on our home is pure irresponsibility. What about avoiding debt like the plague? Where is this guy coming from? We are taxed every time we turn around. Sales tax, state income tax (one of the highest in the nation), multiple taxes on our utilities, fed income tax, social security, medicare tax, property tax. Enough is enough. When are we going to tell these guys to go pound salt?

• Enough
    Sept. 17, 2008 12:45 p.m.

It's time for a prop 13 (like California) to cap and limit these tax robbers.

• CiCi
    Sept. 17, 2008 12:14 p.m.

Sounds like an introduction or prelude to increasing the property tax RATE next year when everyone will be expecting the taxes on their devalued home to be less!

• ME
    Sept. 17, 2008 12:14 p.m.

OOPS I meant citizen initiative

• ME
    Sept. 17, 2008 12:12 p.m.

This has got to stop, not only are our property taxes going up, but we are paying the taxes for the people to review our appeals. This is madness.
    I believe it is time for a citizen intuitive to remove the tax that is based off a perceived value of ones property. I think that a fee based on land size, utilities on the land, and square footage of the house is the only fair way to collect the money. This would be similar to how we pay fee for our cars instead of a tax on the value.
    Anybody else on board for a change to the way taxes on our property is collected?

• ME
    Sept. 17, 2008 12:11 p.m.

Wow I can't believe that they basically said in this article that if you are old and don't have a good income you should sell your house with a reverse mortgage.

These staffers are clueless idiots!

• Lets be Socialists
    Sept. 17, 2008 12:12 p.m.

What years did they compare incomes to Senators, your best year of income? As a percentage it may be small but when you add up all of the taxes paid on trying to have a life, what are we paying 40-55% of our income? Raise the price on utilities or food or whatever and its an automatic increase in taxes as well. Oh and the jerk response to reverse mortgages, really means that you have sold your house to the lender and they get the house when you no longer live there.

• C.W.
    Sept. 17, 2008 11:58 a.m.

Besides being very expensive to collect, property taxes are very unfair to most law-abiding Utahns. For instance, the illegals that have 15 to 20 people in a home and only 1 property tax bill for 8 to 10 kids puts an unfair burden on other property tax payers. Before the days of the illegals most of this worked out in the end even with large families, because the kids would grow up and become property tax payers themselves. But with the large influx of illegals who don't pay their share it puts a disproportionate burden on all other members of the tax "pool". The state should change the tax structure so that ALL the taxpayers pay their share. Maybe raise the sales tax rate? Its easy to collect and EVERYONE has to pay it! The illegals are a huge burden to the school system and nobody seems interested in addressing the financing of their educations!

• Anonymous
    Sept. 17, 2008 11:14 a.m.

What a helpful response by our legislators "You're not paying that much property tax relative to your income" We have a huge tax burden when you add up our high income tax, sales tax and property tax.

Tacking on hundreds or even thousands of dollars in property tax in a single year is a big deal senators. Especially since we know the increases are based on a housing bubble. Those home valuations need to come back down.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 17, 2008 11:08 a.m.

Isn't the sales tax on food relatively low? I still think it's too high and should be repealed. Even a small amount of poison is still dangerous.

• Overtaxed
    Sept. 17, 2008 11:06 a.m.

Property taxes may be low compared to many other states, but they are still too high for many property owners. Why should the government hane the right to push me out of my house?