Cathy Free: Red, white, blue tribute

• "Remember"...
    Sept. 12, 2008 12:32 a.m.

"This day shall live in Infamy" - referring to December 7th, 1941.

"We will never forget" - Pres. Bush, while standing upon the rubble of what was once the World Trade Center Towers.

The day we stop remembering, commemorating, pausing or reflecting upon any of the attacks upon our Country, whether it be Pearl Harbor, September 11th or the USS Cole, is the day we discount the lives that have been sacrificed for our freedoms.

It is not only appropriate, but should be expected, that we observe these days in solemn remembrance. We also should not forget what our reactions were when we watched, listened or heard of the events of September 11th.

If we do not remember our history, our fate is to re-live it.

Although I am too young to have been alive during WWII, I have stood over the USS Arizona, so that I remember. I have stood upon "ground zero", so that I remember. I have listened to my grandfather personally describe D-Day, so that I remember. May we all "remember"...

My personal gratitude and thanks to Mr. Swenson for his efforts in leading and helping us to remember.

• Beautiful Flags
    Sept. 11, 2008 4:37 p.m.

I awoke this morning to see the most beautiful sight - an American Flag blowing in the breeze in my front yard. My tears welled up as I remembered 9/11. We all weathered the storm. We are stronger. We are proud to be Americans!

Thank you Mr. Swenson for all you do to help us remember, and because of remembering, we are stronger and reminded that we are citizens of this great country. Thank you, Cathy Free, for this great article.
    Thank you, youth and leaders, for putting these flags around our neighborhood to make us feel closer as a nation and as human beings.

Yes, we have much to be thankful for.

For the many, many families who lost a loved one, our prayers and love go to you. We will always remember and mostly, we will always remember you and your loss.

• what about the other attacks
    Sept. 11, 2008 3:27 p.m.

It seems that we don't commemorate other 'terrorist' attacks (e.g. Oklahoma City (168 dead), USS Cole (19 dead), etc) because they weren't as big as 9/11, we seem to have 'moved on' from those events. It is strange to me that our need to remember depends on the size of the event. But to those who lost family in Oklahoma, USS Cole, etc, they are still just as devastated as the 9/11 families. We should have one day that remembers all who suffered in these sense less attacks, not just remember 9/11 and forget the rest.

• kathyn
    Sept. 11, 2008 3:00 p.m.

To "Roscoe" and "I'm with Roscoe"...I want to remember 9/11 every single year. I want to remember that so many lives were lost for a cause none of them understood. They were innocent, every one of them. It's my duty to remember and to respect each of them. It is no inconvenience to me to take a moment to ponder those events. You don't have to think about it or watch the programs honoring them, but I think you are in the minority and the rest of us appreciate the opportunity to reflect on this life-changing event.

• Dan
    Sept. 11, 2008 2:14 p.m.

To "Roscoe" and "I'm with Roscoe"...to each their own. I'm confident you are in the minority. In fact from a certain perspective I can understand your reasoning. However, please never forget that the freedoms we all take for granted in this great country are those same freedoms that allow you to freely express you points of view, and those same freedoms that the terrorists used and continue to use against us to manipulate, alter alter and destroy our way of life.

• I'm with Roscoe
    Sept. 11, 2008 1:01 p.m.

It's been long enough for people to move on. They don't need to forget about it (like anyone could), but we don't need to make such a huge deal out of it.

• Dutch
    Sept. 11, 2008 12:54 p.m.

Who says one person can't make a difference,

• Re: Roscoe
    Sept. 11, 2008 10:03 a.m.

Most of us do not feel that it is: "ram(ed) down everybody's throat for eternity." It is good to remember - and I for one am grateful for people like Paul who have given us such a beautiful visual of that fateful day for America. Sorry Roscoe that you do not feel that way - hopefully you will never have to experience such a personal loss in your own life as did so many others that day. May you remember in your own way and just ignore the rest of us as we remember in our way.

• To Roscoe
    Sept. 11, 2008 9:36 a.m.

How insensitive can you possibly be? What if it was your loved one who died in the World Trade Center that day? Sept. 11th changed the world forever and should be remembered. It was the day our "innocence" was lost. Shame on you, Roscoe, for being so uncaring. If you don't want to read about the tributes or watch them on television, then don't. Some of us WANT to remember what was lost on that day.

• Jim M
    Sept. 11, 2008 9:00 a.m.

The LDS Ward I atend in Mesa AZ has a flag program to earn money for camps. One of the days we put out flags in the neighborhoods in the Ward is 9/11.

• Ed J.
    Sept. 11, 2008 8:56 a.m.

Thank you, Ms. Free, for telling this story today. The healing field has become an annual place of comfort to me. Let us never forget what happened on Sept. 11th.

• Roscoe
    Sept. 11, 2008 8:46 a.m.

Is it really necessary to relive this every year? I watched the events as they happened 7 years ago, as did most of the free world. Do we have to go through these interminable services and commemorations on an annual basis? I know I'll never forget the events of the day - do we need to ram it down everybody's throat for eternity?

• Mayhem Mike
    Sept. 11, 2008 8:21 a.m.

God bless you, Paul!

• Bonnie
    Sept. 11, 2008 7:18 a.m.

I cryed when I read this story. I have been out of the United States for the last year serving a mission. This is the first I have read about Paul and his memorial efforts. Nice to see that this project of remembrance has taken on a life of its own and is being replicated across the country. Thank you Paul for your good heart and your love of others. Many people have positive feelings and intentions but you acted on yours.

• Dan
    Sept. 11, 2008 6:32 a.m.

...still have great difficulty watching video coverage of that fateful day's events...the primary responsibility of the government is to protect the health and well being of the people...our officials let their guard down and we will pay for our leader's negligence for decades to come.

Our generation's Pearl Harbor, yet I think too many of us still fail to recognize the significance of what happened that day, and that if the enemy could they would not hesitate to strike again.

America was changed forever that day.

My heart aches and always will for those victims and their families who suffered on that day.