Transportation officials yank TRAX seats for bikes

• pedaler
    Sept. 11, 2008 1:05 p.m.

Yep, (hopefully you read my sarcasm into my last post) there's scores of bad bikers out there. And I've dealt with them too, when I'm driving (I have too many cars too).

Irritation at law-breakers is totally understandable - both in cars and on bikes.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 10, 2008 8:55 p.m.

Pedaler, I never used to be an "anti-bike-ite" as you call it, until I started seeing bikes racing through crowded sidewalks downtown, crossing intersections against the light or running stop signs because they are too "good" to stop and put their feet down, riding 4 abreast at about 6 miles an hour completely blocking a traffic lane instead of riding in the bike lane, etc. Teach your fellow bikers to behave, and you will get more sympathy.

• pedaler
    Sept. 10, 2008 10:28 a.m.

Is it too much for a humble cyclist to ask for a place among the rest of society? Please don't push us to the dark, marginalized corners of the hostile commuter world. We cyclists are humans too! Don't be an anti-bike-ite!

• jmdspk
    Sept. 10, 2008 8:42 a.m.

Actually the cars on order are all low floor cars. The problem with low floor cars is that the reduce the number of seats per car so it is a trade off.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 10, 2008 8:10 a.m.

Why get all worked up over this? My experience with my bike is that people with out bikes prefer to stand where the bikes are supposed to be, making it difficult. If UTA was smart they would start, and I believe they are doing this, replacing the current trains with level platform trains. This would make it much easier for bikes to go in the middle, pivot section of the train where no one ever stands.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 9, 2008 10:40 p.m.

Drag the bikes behind the train. Problem solved!

• Annoyed
    Sept. 9, 2008 9:24 p.m.

The TRAX and the FrontRunner are crowded enough during peak periods. Losing seats and space to bikes is a bad answer. Especially when passengers who carry bikes on to the trains are not paying any more than other passengers, yet they take up 2 to 3 times the space.

I think that the answer is to add an additional car to the TRAX and the FrontRunner trains for bike passengers only and consider charging those passengers extra to defray the cost of operating and maintaining the extra cars.

• isolate them
    Sept. 9, 2008 8:21 p.m.

Why not have one car for people with bikes. My experience with trax is you try to get on, but there is always somebody blocking the way with their bike. And don't ask them to move, you could get punched in the face.