Higher driving age suggested

Insurance group says fewer teens would die

• Heavier patrols
    Sept. 20, 2008 9:05 p.m.

Crazy maneuvers by more experienced drivers are likely to cause less experienced ones to react and over correct, causing crashes. Not that this is the only way teens get in crashes, but one of the ways. I have watched so many drivers here in SLC and the valley pull the most idiotic maneuvers because they're in a hurry, and their insanity causes traffic slowdowns, crashes, and near-misses galore. If EVERYONE would drive safely and within the limits, instead of pushing 10-15 over and changing lanes rapidly, the roads would be a much safer place.

• why discriminate
    Sept. 9, 2008 8:30 p.m.

If we are going to restrict driving based on statistics, then we need to also not allow drivers over 75 to have a licence. Their accident rates are as high as the teenagers.

• Yeah, gov should control it all
    Sept. 9, 2008 1:28 p.m.

Yeah, Lets raise the age on everything! What ever happened to parental responsibility? Children driving before 18 only have a license with parental consent.

Parents are supposed to be in control of their children. If you child is unsafe take there license away. If the child is not following your rules take their license away.

I told all of my sons that they could not get their drivers license until they had their Eagle Scout Rank. Every one of my boys is an Eagle Scout and I am comfortable with their driving skills and I still limit their driving access.

Come on, parents! Take some responsibility and supervise your children. This is not something that the government needs to get into! Restrictions yes. Raising age limits should be a parental choice not a government law.

• God Bless America
    Sept. 9, 2008 12:36 p.m.

ALL states need to raise the age for getting a driver's license up to 21. Same as the drinking age to and for tobacco buying as well, plus voteing to.

• Use some common sense
    Sept. 9, 2008 10:38 a.m.

If we raised the age to 24, it would further cut highway deaths, so why don't we do that too? Why not just eliminate all cars and everyone can use public transportation? We don't need extracurricular activities when we can all stay home and hug trees.

Use some common sense people!

My major extracurricular activity when I was 16 was my job. How was I supposed to get to work?

The problem isn't teenagers with cars, its irresponsible use of cars by teenagers. Restrictions on teenage driving make a lot more sense. Fair, responsible penalties for irresponsible driving, regardless of age makes the most sense.

• Dub
    Sept. 9, 2008 9:57 a.m.

I think it would be good for our fat youth to do some more walking. They can use public transportation as well. If the driving age had been raised when I was in high school more of my friends would still be alive. Let's make the world safer, because no matter how carefully and defensively you drive, you can't totally protect yourself from bad drivers. Oh, and lets make texting while driving a felony too.

• johntvalentine
    Sept. 9, 2008 6:36 a.m.

When all the facts show that we can save lives by increasing the driving age to, say seventeen, noting that a seventeen year old will be more responsible than a sixteen year old. It dose not take a rocket scientist to make the right decision !!! I remember when society thought it was a joke to drive drunk. " untill M.A.D.D." They want to save the polar bear, etc,etc,etc. Would it not be worth the sacrife , even to save just one of our youth. A word to the wise is sufficient.

• CP
    Sept. 9, 2008 5:40 a.m.

I'm all for it

• Bob G
    Sept. 9, 2008 5:26 a.m.

This is a good idea and all parents should be in favor of it. Parents don't have to be the chauffer as they fear, let the children walk to school. It would be good excercise for them and help reduce obesity. There are many benefits to increasing the licensing age beyond the accidents and deaths of teen drivers. 1-children would be less likely to drop out of school or sluff classes. 2-attendance and grades would go up. 3-less cost for schools to have to provide acres of parking for student drivers. 4-students and parents wouldn't have the excessive cost of insurance and an extra vehicle to pay for. 5-parents wouldn't have to wonder and worry about where their children are during school hours. 6-public transportation use would increase. 7-a couple of years makes a lot of difference in maturity and responsibilties of drivers. Make getting a drivers license a senior year priveledge to better induce students to stay in school. Extra curicular activities in schools are just that and non essentials. Parents more worried about chauffer duties are also just making excusses for being lazy and irresponsible parents. Changing the age requirement is a lifestyle change but one of value.