Legacy Parkway opens to public on Saturday

• To Steve
    Sept. 9, 2008 7:08 a.m.

Maybe in a 15 minute segment. But if you extrapolate:
    To work and back in one day will be aproximately 4.7 x 1 week of work is about 20-25 minutes over 1 month saves you close to 2 hours of time. I can do a lot with 2 hrs.

• GCF
    Sept. 8, 2008 10:13 a.m.

The whole thing is a farce...a day late, and as always, a dollar short. When will UDOT, the sate, and the national highway system ever get ahead of the curve? Never...they are way behind it...they are always working on yesterday's problems...not even the present's, let alone for the future's. Keep dreaming Legacy will not make any consequential difference!

• Anonymous
    Sept. 8, 2008 8:16 a.m.

What makes you think this will remain a "parkway"?? I say its a bait n switch, because when it comes to the environment anything is negotiable in this state. I say give it a few desensitizing years and more lanes, sound walls, and billboards will be added to legacy to make it a real Utah freeway. And as for 55mph, depends how much money the state troopers can drag in. If not too much then speeds will also be increased.

• Steve
    Sept. 8, 2008 7:42 a.m.

14 miles at 55 miles per hour takes 15.27 minutes.
    14 miles at 65 miles per hour takes 12.92 minutes.

2.35 minutes slower at 55.

That is not much extra time.

• Ground Rod
    Sept. 7, 2008 11:15 p.m.

At last we have some relief from the rush hour congestion we had to face every night just to get home.
    I would like to propose that we name a small part of I-15 after Rocky Anderson. Just so we will have something to remember him and all his cry baby, foot dragging, meddling he had no right to be involved in. I can think of a few places that he would come to mind when traffic was going about 5 mph for the length of one of the white lines on the pavement. Lets have some feedback what section we could call "The Rocky Creep along" or "The Rocky crockery"

• Darth
    Sept. 7, 2008 10:11 p.m.

Don't get too excited commuters, studies indicate your net gain to Farmington will be 7 minutes. Bountiful residents will gain even less...very disappointing if true.

• Tab L. Uno
    Sept. 7, 2008 10:11 p.m.

I initially felt that 55 mph was too slow and that UDOT and the state could have negotiated a 60 mph limit with the environmentalist. But after reading your article about a Parkway not a freeway, it made be begin to think about the purpose of driving. Driving has usually been a pain, about speed, about trying just to burn rubber. Yet your article made me reflect on what our always on the go society really means to me. As I grow older, physically, it seems that perhaps I'm letting life go by too fast. 55 mph seems fast enough, especially considering what speeds I sometimes end up going on I-15. With all the construction stress, I think a little slower on the pedal might not be a big idea for my health and mental sanity after all.

• Who's first
    Sept. 7, 2008 9:56 p.m.

For those complaining about Legacy Highway being in their "backyard," was Legacy Highway planned before or after you built or moved into your home? Can't complain if the Highway was planned first.

• Magic?
    Sept. 7, 2008 5:58 p.m.

Clare:

There is no magic in going 55mph. You can drive a suburban 55mph and a Civic 75mph and guess which is going to get better gas mileage? yes I know, its comparing apples and oranges. But if people are going to save on gas, get a better car.

If we both drive the same car 100 miles, I get off the road, 30 min quicker, if I happen to be going to work, well thats about 20$ I make, as opposed to wasting time. Easily buying the amount of gas you claim to save. Or going home, 30 minutes more time I can accomplish something useful.

And don't get me wrong, I drive a fuel efficient car, plus thinking about getting a motorcycle to lower my costs more. And save time by not being in traffic and able to go as fast as I feel safe.

• Mothgod
    Sept. 7, 2008 5:34 p.m.

People don't chosse to live 40-60 miles from work there forced because city planners zone all the job away from housing because people complain about the noice ect.....

• 55 mph sounds great!
    Sept. 7, 2008 5:00 p.m.

I drive south on I-15 every afternoon and watch the Davis County-bound parking lot on the other side. There aren't any cars there moving anywhere near 55 mph. The parkway sounds like a great improvement to me. Enjoy!

• Dave
    Sept. 7, 2008 2:36 p.m.

@KR Says it, 1:19pm:

The problem doesn't really stem from UDOT/Leavitt and the environmentalists disagreeing on the road. That wouldve happened anyway.

I blame Leavitt/UDOT because their plan also didn't follow the rules set by the EPA and Army Corps of Engineers. You know, those guys who make the actual rules people are supposed to follow.

You say that they planned according to the solution it was supposed to provide, but that's only half the battle. You can't ignore the other rules out there just because you've got a lofty goal of.. Oh yeah. Providing a solution.

I spent some time laid off a few years ago. It was tough. Robbing banks couldve "provided a solution". Getting my point yet?

The environmentalists did what they do. They stood up for what they believe in. Leavitt/UDOT's job was to avoid giving them an opening. Had they followed the laws in place, you'd have had your Legacy three years ago.

Environmentalists file lawsuits all the time which they lose, because they believe in it. When they won this one, why do you not blame the people who screwed up?

• Clare
    Sept. 7, 2008 2:29 p.m.

Driving at 55 mph is very good for gas consumption. You can save a lot of money by driving slower. I drive a Hybric Civic and easily get close to 50 mph and I do this by driving 55 mph when allowed. I can understand raising the speed limit when you're out of an urban area, but I hope that they catch A LOT of people who speed on Legacy and anywhere else! More money for our highways and law enforcement! Teach people to obey the law.

• Michael
    Sept. 7, 2008 2:06 p.m.

Leavitt and UDOT knowingly violated environmental standards- and they were warned that their proposal would be challenged legally. They should have paid more attention to the law if they wanted speedy resolution of the parkway proposal. Their stubborn inflexibility held up the parkway and their legal ignorance lead to the forced compremises which, in the end improved the product immensely.

I don't think the 55 speed limit will be a problem- drivers will be aware that the I-15 option is available if they want to drive faster.

And, I for one do not have all that much sympathy for people who choose to live 40-50 miles from work and then feel put out of place then they have to deal with traffic. There are alternatives- but to expect everyone else to have to build you a quick route to work when you choose to live 50 miles away is not right. I always lived within a mile or so of work- and walked to work.

• Doubly THRILLED
    Sept. 7, 2008 2:01 p.m.

If 'planned perfectly' means turning hundreds of homes into practically un-sellable real estate then 'KR says it perfectly' got it right! People have this idea that Legacy is some beautiful, serene 'nature walk'. IT'S NOT! There are no berms to block noise..the road IS, in fact, raised. Which means that all the noise those cars are going to make (and already make), resonates into the once peaceful neighborhoods lining this irritating road! I love my nature just as much as the next person, but would it really kill all those environmentalists to put in SOMETHING to block the noise?

• KR says it perfectly
    Sept. 7, 2008 1:19 p.m.

Those who claim the delay was due to UDOT or Mike Leavit because they didn't originally plan it right, you are simply wrong! It was planned perfectly right from the beginning for the solution it was intended to provide. What you really mean is they didn't plan it right according to the wants of the special interest groups and that of the sierra club. I hail Mike Leavitt for having the right vision from the beginning, and am pained by the delays, costs, and limiited alternative we now have several years later.

• Thrilled too
    Sept. 7, 2008 1:10 p.m.

Thrilled is right. UDOT isn't even TRYING to beautify near the homes that it races past. What a joke. We've been watching the construction guys go cruising down the BIKE paths at 35 - 40mph. No wonder they didn't want any bikes on it.

The road was supposed to have a berm to direct the noise away from the homes that it borders. Instead, it's elevated, so the sound goes right into our neighborhood. And no, it's not silent. You can hear the single cars coming a mile away. And to think that we'll have ten thousand a day. Wow. Thanks UDOT! Anyone want to buy a new home?

• re: another old geezer
    Sept. 7, 2008 1:09 p.m.

You'd have a difficult time subjecting us to those two hour commutes considering we have the good sense to live less than 50 miles from work...

• Dick of the NW
    Sept. 7, 2008 1:07 p.m.

Hey Rodfather. Surely you jest. You don't go any where in the Seattle area fast. You must live down town and walk to work. At least Utah does something about their traffic problems. If it were Seattle, they would still be talking about it. I will say that traffic does move faster in Seattle that does getting things done. Seattle does have special problems with all the water. However, nothing gets DONE! How long has the Alaskian highway been under discussion? Hopefully, will be returning to Utah next year.

• whiners
    Sept. 7, 2008 12:21 p.m.

Don't like all the traffic on the freeway? Use mass transportation. I have, for over 20 years, and I am rarely stuck in traffic on the freeway. More mass transportation and less gas-guzzling polluting cars and trucks! Use your head, people and save yourselves thousands of dollars!

• QUESTION
    Sept. 7, 2008 12:20 p.m.

Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway??Thank goodness "rocky the flying squirrel"has left the building!!!!

• Another old geezer
    Sept. 7, 2008 11:55 a.m.

Thanks a lot rocky, sierra club, and all of the other invironmental groups who get their funding from misguided folks with more money than brains.
    $682,200,000 in taxpayer dollars!!!! They spent our money for a park, as if we don't have enough diversions when driving. It's supposed to be a highway for cripes sake.
    As for you abused Davis County folks, I am sorry for all of your suffering, and the horrible waste of energy due to your two hour commute in stop and go traffic, I only wish there was some way to subject all of the people who delayed this project and grossly inflated the cost to the same miseries that you folks have suffered for way too long.

• A little honesty
    Sept. 7, 2008 11:46 a.m.

I wasn't aware that environmentalists were responsible for a beautiful highway. I thought their contributions were,
    1) a delayed highway
    2) a narrower highway
    3) more expensive highway

Lets be honest here.

• docky
    Sept. 7, 2008 11:34 a.m.

should have been finished 5 yrs ago. thank you rocky and sierra club. what a waste!

• AL
    Sept. 7, 2008 11:26 a.m.

To cb: That is just what I was thinking. Just another blood alley..........They should have speed traps everywhere. The money raised from fines should reimburse the tax payers for this parkway. The speed limit should be strictly enfored....

• annonny hey nonny nonny
    Sept. 7, 2008 11:11 a.m.

this "parkway" is a shadow of what it should have been. we are now stuck with a 55mph nightmare brought to us by the extreme left environmental groups, the meddling democrats who want us all to walk everywhere, and the special interest groups who made a quick buck off the state in litigation.

i hope everyone can enjoy this road but never forget we all were sold down the river with no paddle. the interests of the minority trampled on the majority and they did it with a smile knowing they were screwing the rest of us.

i am grateful for UDOT sticking to thier guns and building a much needed relief for I-15 too bad we ALL took it in the seat because the democrats and thier cronies insist they know better than everyone else.

• blame game
    Sept. 7, 2008 10:52 a.m.

If you want to blame someone for the delays on the Legacy Highway blame his royal highness Mike Leavitt for having tried to ram the project through without following the mandated guidelines for protecting the land and wildlife. Remember Mike Leavitt? The guy who gave Utah's magnificent fishing waters whirling disease? Now that's quite a legacy. . .

• Rodfather
    Sept. 7, 2008 9:56 a.m.

Sure I leave the area and you finally do something to fix transportation. I now live in a city of 3.5 million and I still get to work faster in Seattle than I ever did in SLC and traffic is this city is horrible. Congratulations everyone. Enjoy the smooth ride.

• We can do better
    Sept. 7, 2008 9:55 a.m.

This article said there is an 8 inch pipeline to water the plants that will be along legacy highway. Since Utah is a water short state wouldn't it have been wiser to use native plants that don't require water?

Also, I-15 is so ugly, the sound walls are ugly except in SLC. Why can't all freeways be more attractive like legacy? Are we that cheap that we can't put in a little extra money to beautify our suroundings?

Many sound walls on I-15 were put in several feet from the border of the freeway, narrowing the freeway. Now when expansion needs to be done, there will be less ability to add lanes or have a safe amount of land on the side for cars that need to stop. This is short sighted thinking at its worst.

One more thing, Toll Roads are a really bad idea, make the gas tax greater, I don't want a state criscrossed with toll roads, they have those back east and they are terrible. They might solve other problems, but to say they are good is go ignore all their bad qualities.

• ThereYouGoAgain
    Sept. 7, 2008 9:54 a.m.

Yes, let's credit those who insisted on this being a "parkway." First of all... it's not that different from what was originally proposed. Secondly, it WILL be a cash cow for law enforcement at only 55 mph. And thirdly... was it worth the delays and nightmarish extra costs? Know the facts! That money could have gone to a lot of other things people complain are "short changed" in this state, ie education. Legacy was the greatest fundraiser the environmental cause has ever had in this state.

• Dave
    Sept. 7, 2008 9:27 a.m.

to Geezer:

Truer words were never spoken.

Of course, if UDOT and Mike Leavitt hadn't insisted on cramming this down everyone's throats, even with the knowledge that their impact statement was fatally flawed (and the EPA themselves warned Leavitt of that), Rocky & and the Sierra Club could never have won their lawsuit.

Thanks, Mike and UDOT! Due to your blind stupidity, we got a much better road than you ever wanted us to have.

And thank you, Rocky Anderson, Sierra Club, and the other assorted environmental groups who I am forgetting, for standing up for your principles and forcing the issue.

And to everyone who's going to point out the extra cost that was spent because of the delay, and blaming Rocky and Co., i say: The environmentalists werent the ones who knew this was flawed and pressed on. Nor the ones who signed contracts with construction companies, knowing full-well the highway was on crumbing legal ground. That was your elected officials, costing you several hundred million bucks.

For a lot of you, its merely easier to blame a Democrat for being right than it is to blame a Republican for being wrong.

• Dave
    Sept. 7, 2008 9:18 a.m.

@Cash Cow 654am:

You make it sounds like enforcing a law is a bad thing. Sorry you feel like you have to go wherever you go at 80mph and this will screw you up. Just deal with the laws and you won't have a problem with the cops, now will you?

• cb
    Sept. 7, 2008 9:14 a.m.

Parkway is right, going 55 miles an hour is like being parked. It will be the same speed trap as Bangerter Highway.

• stargold
    Sept. 7, 2008 9:02 a.m.

I have to agree with Geezer--when I look back at what might have been if the people like Lynn de Freitas hadn't spoken up we would have done our usual blow and go destruction. We owe her and her associates a huge thank you, and it would sure be nice if UDOT would acknowledge that at every "award" they get for the project. And Leavitt should have to pay for his premature speculation that cost the project 200 million dollars. This is on his back but was conveniently passed on as the fault of those who made sure the road was done right. He will surely get the credit but none of the blame. But to those stewards of the Great Salt Lake who made sure this was done right, bravo! Thank you for your care of your magnificent place. UDOT and the people of Utah owe you a lifetime of apologies and respect.

• KR
    Sept. 7, 2008 8:39 a.m.

Blah Blah. Who cares about all of the scenic aspects really? The main purposed of the high should be to get cars and trucks to and from their destinations in the fastest, best way possible. All this other stuff was a waste of money. The enviromentalists, including Rocky bullied UDOT into make this unecessary changes.

• Expensive
    Sept. 7, 2008 8:33 a.m.

Wow, that's a lot of money for 14 miles! That's our tax dollars they're spending.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 7, 2008 8:18 a.m.

If this truly is a trailway/highway.. Where is the trees, shade, covering from the intensity of the sun...? Quite sure it shall be a scenic route in the middle of nowhere, otherwise...

• vern
    Sept. 7, 2008 8:16 a.m.

they should have a robot cop in both directions in working order to catch speeders.

• Question
    Sept. 7, 2008 8:15 a.m.

Does the trail system connect with roads in Salt Lake City? The real question -- Will it be possible to ride a bike from the start of the trail in Farmington to downtown Salt Lake?

• Debbie
    Sept. 7, 2008 8:08 a.m.

If only we could have illuminated signs that say "no Rocky" - he should be banned from this beautiful and needed highway. Shame on him and others who caused this to come 10 years later than it should have and cost the taxpayers millions more. Thanks to those who made it possible - finally!

• Geezer
    Sept. 7, 2008 7:32 a.m.

There's something missing here. Where's the credit for those who insisted on changing this to a parkway? Looks like UDOT is happy to take the credit, with only a vague reference to "legal delays." Let's thank the people who made it better.

• Cash Cow
    Sept. 7, 2008 6:54 a.m.

This road will be a cash cow for the highway patrol... Special enforcement is not being considered? I'm sure they are already drooling over the fact that some folks will be going 75 and 80 miles and hour. It will be all too easy to pull people over speeding in a "55 mph" zone.

• liberal Larry
    Sept. 7, 2008 6:33 a.m.

This road was real triumph for Utah thanks to the efforts of environmentally concerned groups, who pushed for doing this project right, and not just blindly ramming it through. Although it must have been hard for the builders to listen to groups spouting phrases like "multimodal answers".

• 55 MPH
    Sept. 7, 2008 5:15 a.m.

Cool! A better commute and incentive to save gas.

• Truckers
    Sept. 7, 2008 3:32 a.m.

What will be the fines for 18-wheelers using the parkway and when will violations be inforced?

• merlin ross
    Sept. 7, 2008 1:30 a.m.

I'm looking forward to driving the new highway...

• Finally
    Sept. 7, 2008 12:20 a.m.

I will finally be able to drive to SLC from Davis County without my morning rant of "thanks Rocky!" YAHOO!!