Utah Utes football: Team aims to avenge '07 defeat

• rebelfan2212
    Sept. 7, 2008 12:58 a.m.

sounds like a kewg complaining about pac-10 refs.

• BleedCougarBlue
    Sept. 6, 2008 11:25 p.m.

Utes - 42
    Rebels - 21

Nice job, Utes! Congrats on your win!

What's good for any team in Utah is good for the whole state.

• Rebelfan2212
    Sept. 6, 2008 9:35 p.m.

Lol, I took the 22 points buddy.

Still won my bet, sorry.

Was glad the Refs took it in themselves to put the fumble in review.

Glad your refs are in Utah's back pocket.

• BDL
    Sept. 6, 2008 9:21 p.m.

If Utah could actually play TWO good halves it sure would be nice. Way to take it to 'em Utes in the second half.

• Re: Rebelfan2212
    Sept. 6, 2008 8:52 p.m.

I'm sure glad you're not my financial advisior. Hope the kids at home are not going to go hungry, but you sure were excited for a half.

• utwingnut
    Sept. 6, 2008 7:32 p.m.

Looks like UNLV seems to have Utahs number. Go rebels! Rise & Shout Utah!! LOL!

• Rebelfan2212
    Sept. 6, 2008 5:59 p.m.

You're about to watch another upset folks.

It's 2 minutes till 6, mountain time.

I was sworn to secrecy till the start the of the game. But i'll let you guys now right now, UNLV will be going with a 2 quarterback set in the backfield. The Utes will be bewildered and not know what to do. I'm glad I put my money where my mouth was.

I'm getting 22 points from the Sports book here in Vegas, and I also bet UNLV straight up where I'll be getting 12-1 on my money. Oh I forgot, you are in Utah straight up means no points.

Prepare to lose Utes.

• re: 9 of 10
    Sept. 6, 2008 4:28 p.m.

nobody said BYU wasn't a good team...its the fans that ruin it for them...

• re: not perfect
    Sept. 6, 2008 3:28 p.m.

Those who live in a glass house should not throw stones... Which team/fans/coaches are claiming perfection... which team breaks their practices by saying bcs, etc... sure they have been undefeated in the conference the past two seasons (which really isn't that rare of an accomplishment considering Utah and TCU have both accomplished it)... but they have not been perfect. And when byu loses two or three games this year, with great humility the players, coaches and fans of byu will say how they beat themselves... no credit is ever given to the other team... based on that logic, since byu only beats themselves, then actually every year they are undefeated and therefore perfect... well at least in their own minds.

• Big Daddy
    Sept. 6, 2008 3:25 p.m.

Utah vs UNLV...ah-la Wyoming game last year...a smear...

UTAH 38
    UNLV 06

• michael
    Sept. 6, 2008 11:58 a.m.

When the Utes hammer UNLV by 30 tonight I hope it will shut up all the critics that have not missed an opportunity to rubb 27-0 in our face. Like the Y does not have an extremely embarasing loss or two on their resume. I am very exited that we open at home with UNLV.

• Not perfect?
    Sept. 6, 2008 11:45 a.m.

"'We're not perfect. Never professed to be,' Whittingham said."

No, he leaves that to Ute fans who profess their team (not to mention themselves) to be perfect year in and year out, stats and records not withstanding.

Utah will drop several games this year. That won't stop fan professions of perfection.

Go Rebs!!!

• 9 of 10?
    Sept. 6, 2008 11:14 a.m.

So we've won 9 of our last 10? Who'd we lose to? Geez, must have been a pretty good team because we beat UCLA, Louisville, and a very good Navy team last season and Michigan to start this season.

• canuck
    Sept. 6, 2008 10:57 a.m.

you go team

• Accraute
    Sept. 6, 2008 10:48 a.m.

There's only room for one perfect coach in Utah, I guess. I like what we've got. Byt the way, Joe, for all Michigan's offensive flaws, the strength of the team is their defense. If we can put up 300 years in a half against Michigan, TDS will be a piece of cake. I can't wait!

• TheHailstorm
    Sept. 6, 2008 10:41 a.m.

I thought I'd give Job ( Joe B )some national press impressions of Utah Footbal It may even calm down some of the ego's of the blue bloods.
    Here's some observations from national press;

"The biggest thing I'm looking forward to, as a team, is we have an opportunity to play against a team that's ranked high nationally," Clayton said of the No. 22 Utes. "So this is an opportunity to test our will against what's seen as some of the country's elite.

Utah, in its headline-making 25-23 win last week in Ann Arbor, Mich., held mighty Michigan to 36 rushing yards on 25 carries, plus forced coach Rich Rodriguez to play musical quarterbacks to try and generate some offense.
    Good luck to both MWC teams today they both help the public opinions and impressions nationally.
    For a state that has a tiny population having 2 schools in the top 25 plays to our advantage in the recruitment tussles.

• check your stat JoeB
    Sept. 6, 2008 10:41 a.m.

I agree that Michingan won't be a top team in the Big 10 this year, but they won't be in the bottom either, and either way it won't be from a lack of defense which returned the majority of its starters from last years team that ranked as one of the best in the nation, number 2 in pass defense in the Big 10, and didn't have the major overhaul in scheme like the offense did, yes they did change a bit but not to the extent of the offensive changes. I bet Michigan goes 6-6 and goes to a bowl game simmilar to 84 when BYU beat them in the Holiday Bowl for their share of the national championship, and that by no means was a blowout for BYU, so I'd be careful knocking below average Michigan teams if I was BYU, just admit that Utah is a good team as I'm willing to admit that BYU is a good team despite my utter disdain for them. If you're gonna talk smack, just back it up with some proof and not irration banter

• Last year
    Sept. 6, 2008 10:21 a.m.

Don't get me wrong, I like Johnson, but I still believe the worst coaching decision of all last year was taking out Grady and putting in a gimpy Johnson in the 2nd half.

Grady never had a chance to get the offense rolling, I may not be remembering 100% correctly, but it seemed like fumbles cost us our offensive possesions and penalties made it difficult to convert. I don't really get why no one had confidence in Grady, he wasn't a great scrambler but he had an amazing arm.

Putting Johnson in, who couldn't scramble (risk of injury), and could only throw for about 8 yards sealed the Utes loss. Let's hope we don't have similar coaching decisions today. I think this season the Utes are ready (and healthy), I pick them by 4 TDs

• Painful!
    Sept. 6, 2008 9:40 a.m.

Living with that pain is tough, huh? Somehow, I feel 0 sympathy.

More pain may happen today. The team is famous for flopping after big wins. UNLV will play tough. They know they can play and defeat this team. Be prepared for a close one.

• Rebs by 5
    Sept. 6, 2008 8:54 a.m.

Go Rebels!!!

• Utah Man
    Sept. 6, 2008 8:32 a.m.

The Utes have to prove that they can consistently beat MWC teams. UNLV should be a good warm up game. Air Force, Wyoming and New Mexico will be the true tests.

Utah by 44-10.

More, if Kyle doesn't let off the gas.

• BYUGuy
    Sept. 6, 2008 8:02 a.m.

Best of luck Utes! Here's hoping that we both get to the big rivalry game this season undefeated and both in the top 10!

• just a few more hours
    Sept. 6, 2008 5:32 a.m.

Can't wait for the game to start. UNLV is going to try too hard and make some foolish mistakes that lead to turnovers. The UNLV D is not enought to hold back the overpowering Utah offense that puts on a show and makes the rest of the Mountain West in awe. All the preseason votes that said the school in the south would be the league champion begin admitting they were wrong and the fear of the mighty utes starts affecting every MWC coach.
    This is the game the Utes PROOVE what those who have followed them already knew, they are the team to beat in the MWC. The Defense is solid, especially with Krueger and Misi on the ends and will shot down the highly touted UNLV running game. Asiata on offense will show that his performance last week wasn't just a fluke, and Mack will break out this game. Johnson, who played so well in the first half last week but couldn't adapt to Michigan's adjustments in the second half will show he learned from last week and play solid the whole game. Goal for the utes should be a 50-0 win allowing less than 150 rebel yds

• SLC'er
    Sept. 6, 2008 2:07 a.m.

What a great coach - "We're not perfect. Never professed to be." Its great to hear a coach with a little humility . . . . GO Utes!!

• JoeB
    Sept. 6, 2008 1:47 a.m.

C'mon Whitt...you guys put up over 300 yards of offense against a very good defensive team last week? yea right, Michigan is NOT good and will be at the bottom of the Big 10 this year. If you don't get any better, I give you third (again) behind BYU and TCU.