McCain's change chant oddly familiar

• Seeth One
    Sept. 7, 2008 9:27 p.m.

To: David O.
    Get an education. That is all I have to say.

• Republicans had most of the
    Sept. 6, 2008 5:27 a.m.

control for years
    They have lost the control and refuse to cooperate with the peoples business
    The key here you need to learn is,these people are there to have the American hat on
    Not the Republican Hat!
    This is not a ball game

• SLMG
    Sept. 5, 2008 4:42 p.m.

For once it is a pleasure to read these comments about the election and see that there are people out there that are seeing beyond the smoke screen of McCain and his choice for VP. McCain talks about change so he picks a woman to run for VP, granted that is a big change for the republicans but not the change that is needed, he is trying to get the womens vote, it AINT going to happen with this woman. I find her totally an insult to women, any one that would call soccer moms pitbulls with lipstick must have rocks for brains.
    McCain is an old man that is grasping at straws to win this election and he might have had a chance had he picked some Republican women with some exprience and class and there are a lot of them in our great country but Sarah Palin is not one of them. I was an undecided voter until the Republican Convention, not any more. Obama and Biden just got my vote, thank you very much.

• djc
    Sept. 5, 2008 2:47 p.m.

I was impressed by the speech that McCain presented last evening at the convention. He seemed more like the McCain of old than the politician that had reared his ugly head during the primaries. Two factors have finally convinced me to vote for McCain this fall: The leadership and poise demonstrated in the aforementioned speech and secondly, the arrogance and irrational arguments of Obama supporters. I'd like to thank the Obama groupies who have made my decision a little easier.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 5, 2008 2:12 p.m.

"Let me start off by saying that in 2000 I said, 'Vote for me. I'm an agent of change.' In 2004, I said, 'I'm not interested in change --I want to continue as president.' Every candidate has got to say 'change.' That's what the American people expect." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., March 5, 2008

• Anonymous
    Sept. 5, 2008 1:55 p.m.

The GOP has clearly sunk to an all-time level.

• Re:Shaking in their boots
    Sept. 5, 2008 1:17 p.m.

You couldn't have said it any better! Way to go.

• Englightened Citizenry
    Sept. 5, 2008 1:11 p.m.

Become a more informed and responsible citizen.

Check out:

VoteSmart dotorg

Factcheck dotorg

PolitiFact dotcom

• Enjoy
    Sept. 5, 2008 1:03 p.m.

Establishment drank the koolaid rather than holding his voting accountable for the mounting economic problem looming in America.

Utahans hate to admit this. If California catches a cold Utah gets pneumonia. Think of the Californians not buying homes in St. George. Then, there are the ski vacations they won't be taking. Their are more Mormons in California than Utah. Tithing is linked to incomes.

Many of you will be unemployed in the next few months. The less consumers purchase here the fewer miles England's trucks travel.

It's trickling down. When you are taking church handout to feed your kids. Think how you should up against gay marriage.

• Interesting tidbit
    Sept. 5, 2008 12:57 p.m.

I thought it was an interesting statistic that was shown on the TV screen last night about the Republican delegates themselves. They are 91% white. And over 50% of them make over $500,000.

• Grimble
    Sept. 5, 2008 12:39 p.m.

Yeah, I guess the choice this year is between the tax-and-spend democrats and the SPEND AND SPEND AND SPEND AND SPEND AND SPEND Republicans.

Who was the last president to have a balanced budget?

Clinton.

Who was the president who bloated the federal budget and expanded government more than any other?

Bush II.

Who was it before that?

Bush I.

Who was it before that?

Reagan.

Every four years the Republicans talk the talk, but when they get elected they never walk the walk.

Or, to put it another way:

Republicans run on the platform of how incompetent government is.

Then they take office and prove themselves correct.

• sammyd
    Sept. 5, 2008 12:29 p.m.

No change. In the early 70's we had a gas shortage until they were allowed to build a pipeline, in the 80's we had an oil shortage until protected off-shore oil leases were sold to them at an undervalued price. The latest shortage is about Alaska and claiming oil leases in protected areas to go with the 62 million acres of unused leases they already have stockpiled. (wouldn't it be great if leases expired every 10 years if not used?)

McCains choice was obvious, the Govenor of Alaska who favors giving oil leases even in primative widlife refuges. Just think of the oil money the Republicans are raking in. Business as usual.

• RE: 7:03 A.M.
    Sept. 5, 2008 12:20 p.m.

Drop it on Clinton having the cross hairs on Bin Ladin. Maybe he did maybe he didn't. The current idiot in the White House has had the cross hairs on him since 2001 and still can't seem to find the cave dweller. But think about it, why would he want to? That would end the war that Bush's cronnies are profitting from. Oh yeah, he has "flawed intelligence". We heard that one before.

I hope the Demacrats win. I am not one but they couldn't screw up the country any worse than the destructive Republicans.

• Fool me twice?
    Sept. 5, 2008 12:11 p.m.

I voted for Bush and it makes me sick. I would have voted for Romney if he were the candidate, because we definitely need competence and change. I watched both conventions and made up my mind. There is no way I am going to let the evangelicals control this country. McCain is old and has cancer, Palin I don't trust at all.

• Dear Ben
    Sept. 5, 2008 11:59 a.m.

Tax breaks across the board. That is what the party has done for me and for you...

• Anonymous
    Sept. 5, 2008 11:57 a.m.

I'll take someone who has been proven is war any time over a Chicago community activist who has not accomplished anything except to get the democrats's nomination.

• Republican Control
    Sept. 5, 2008 11:55 a.m.

The Democrats have only had control for the last 9 months or so, the Republicans have had control for the last 7 years. HMM who's to blame, well lets see that's not hard, The Republicans. That was the worst speech, he said nothing about a plan to fix the mess his party made,he is trying so hard to distance himself. But when you vote 95% of the time with the person responsible, that makes you responsible.

• Observer
    Sept. 5, 2008 11:54 a.m.

Palin has the democrats shaking in their boots.....shaking with laughter.

• Ben
    Sept. 5, 2008 11:53 a.m.

For you Republicans out there, what has that party done for you? Anything? Unless your a CEO or happen to be very wealthy you probably can't think of much. So why vote R? Undoubtedly the answer will be "values". It's okay that woman can make less than men, its okay to give rich people and oil companies tax breaks becuase they agree with my values.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 5, 2008 11:45 a.m.

Just like the neocons believing Cheney and Bush would lead them to the promised land with their WMD's in Iraq and Iraq being responsible for 9/11, these same poor chumps believe McBush and Palin will be in the Whitehouse and will create thousands and thousands of jobs.
    LOL!

• shook up
    Sept. 5, 2008 11:28 a.m.

It's great seeing you Lib's beside youselves. Gov. Palin has you all in a tizzie!! More fun than I've had in years!

• Re: Re: establishment 3:29a
    Sept. 5, 2008 11:08 a.m.

More Democrat double-speak. The Dems are expert at it. We DO have a Democrat-controlled obstructionist, do-nothing congress no matter how they spin it.

• Clear Choice
    Sept. 5, 2008 11:05 a.m.

So at last Dem's and Rep's agree on something: We need CHANGE in Washington! Then who do we vote for the guy who talks about it and will raise taxes to do it or the guy who has and will do something about it at a lower cost to the already stressed tax payer. For me the choice is clear! MCAIN/PALIN

Don't forget the DEM's have had control of the senate for two years and have done nothing to change anything. They can't blame Bush for veto because he rarely vetoes anything! What we have now is a democratic congress having their way and a President who has let them. What a huge mess! Think twice before putting more Senatorial Dem's in office again!

• Anonymous
    Sept. 5, 2008 11:00 a.m.

I get a kick out of the neocons who tell everybody they will NOT raise taxes.

The country is in debt to its ears.

How do you think all that money is going to be generated to pay for the Republican's wars?
    The fatcats are going to bail us out?

LOL!

• Shaking in Their Boots
    Sept. 5, 2008 10:55 a.m.

People, people, people, the Dems have all been handed their talking points and they sound like broken records. Isn't there an independent thought among them? Dems are shaking in their boots. The Republican base, like a sleeping giant, has been completely awakened and invigorated. Sad times for the GOP? I don't think so. The momentum has changed. The invincible one who walks on water and parts the seas, has reached his apex and from now on, it is all downhill, albeit gradually--but surely. McCain/Palin will clean the Obama/Biden clock on election day. The American people will reject the Dems' half-truths, lies and venom which will all have been in vain on election day.

• Grimble
    Sept. 5, 2008 10:47 a.m.

John McCain: "THROW THE BUMS OUT! Oh, wait. We ARE the bums...."

• Mellie
    Sept. 5, 2008 10:48 a.m.

How can a candidate who has hosted a convention so filled with rancor expect to be taken seriously when he later states that he will end partisan politics? hahahahahahahaha

• To Mike
    Sept. 5, 2008 10:20 a.m.

Just exactly will having Nobama in the white house improve things?

He's a demo. He will raise taxes, leave our borders open, destroy the healthcare industry, kill babies, and just screw things up more.

Nobama = Jimmy Carter II

Be afraid, be VERY afraid.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 5, 2008 9:55 a.m.

These are surely the saddest times for the GOP.

• East Coast Reader
    Sept. 5, 2008 9:54 a.m.

Unfortunately we only have a choice between a mediocre senator and a socialist - quasi Marxist - pro-abortionist Senator for President so to me it's a no brainer going with McCain. The change Obama talks about is definitely for the wrong reasons although for some reason all the gullible people and socialists treat him like a rock star. It's much better to at least maintain the status quo and have McCain try out his ideas then risk everything for Obama's communist/social ideas that have failed all over the globe in other countries. What amazes me is how Obama voted present 160 times on senate votes - he can't even take a side - I'm surprised he was actually there. He hasn't done a darn thing in the senate except work on his campaign, so I wouldn't expect him to really do anything if he becomes president - same old BS we got from Carter and Clinton - those were miserable years ( thank heavens technology saved our butts in the nineties). Real change willonly come when we replace 90% of Congress.

• Mike
    Sept. 5, 2008 9:20 a.m.

Republicans = Change. What a crock! Well, they can't exactly run on their acomplishments. That's it folks, elect the war "hero" and the "pit bull with lipstick". That's just what this country needs. Don't worry about middle class problems, health care, uncessary waring in foreign lands, social security, medicare, the US Constitution, the bill of rights, habeus corpus, illegal spying on americans etc. Never fear America, just vote for the flag wavers. Papa McCain and Moma Pit Bull will keep you safe. Be very very afraid America. There's a black man that just might take over, and we whiteys, know what that means. Woooooooo......

• Talking or Acting
    Sept. 5, 2008 9:11 a.m.

I agree with Think, Think Think.

The U.S. Constitution is a magnificent document with built in Separation of Powers and Checks and Balances.
    One Branch may try to change the way things are happening in Washington D.C. but could be blocked by the other two branches.

There are two sides to every election. One is that years of service are very meaningful which means that the person has either learned to facilitate or block whatever is wanted.

Why can't we have term limits in the Legislative Branch as we have with the Administrative. Remember close to 100 years ago when Senator Hatch ran on the fact that his opponent had been in office too long.

Politicians can influence voters into thinking things will change, but if they don't, the only way voters have of getting them out is at the next election, or impeachment which is next to impossible. However, most of us have short memories and we forget what was promised versus what was delivered.

Thousands of persons make their livings by manipulating people's minds and politicians are no different.

These are difficult issues, something akin to "throwing out the baby with the bathwater."

• Ann
    Sept. 5, 2008 9:09 a.m.

I'm an Obama supporter but I wasn't completely convinced McCain was going to be "four more years of Bush" until I heard Palin speak. Now I'm convinced she is nothing but a female George W. (albeit a slightly smarter version). Now I'm convinced!

• Webster
    Sept. 5, 2008 9:03 a.m.

What is a democrate?

• Anonymous
    Sept. 5, 2008 9:00 a.m.

I'm not convinced that a person who was tortured qualifies him as a world leader.
    I'd say it would qualify him as a loose cannon.

• BobP
    Sept. 5, 2008 9:00 a.m.

Remember, after 4 years of McCain we can consider * years of Palin.

The fools here who are attacking Palin for her daughter's pregnancy must be those Pharisees who were perfect children and who had perfect children.

• Observer
    Sept. 5, 2008 8:44 a.m.

McCain's personal story is old and has been told over and over. That's all his speech was. The same old story. McCain was a POW 40 years ago. He made a bad decision to support the Vietnam war then, he made a bad decision to support the Iraq war now. He never learns. And despite how McCain and the GOP are attempting to steal the Democratic message of change, people see it for what it is. More of the same that we've had under Bush for the last 8 years.

• To: sarah
    Sept. 5, 2008 8:23 a.m.

It will be like the gimicks you get in your emails that claim that "you have won" now all you have to do is give you bank account and personal information so you can claim your prize that never existed in the first place. Yet, Obama's your Mama alright. If you remember that Hillary Clinton preached and preached about medical reform and it never happend the whole eight years she and her husband were in office, it never happened. Just another democrate's empty promise. All talk and no action.

• Op Ed from the New York Times?
    Sept. 5, 2008 8:20 a.m.

Can't the Deseret News take an news story from a mainstream paper instead of the elite New York Times? Bizarre indeed. McCain's life as a prisoner of war, spoken with humility, was a portrait of leadership. Sorry, you missed an opportunity to tell the real story.

• Observer
    Sept. 5, 2008 8:05 a.m.

I feel sorry for John McCain. No matter how much pancake makeup he wears, he still comes across as a worn out, tired old man.

• gf
    Sept. 5, 2008 8:03 a.m.

I remember in the seventies a Utahn ran for the Senate on the "change" platform. He thought lifetime politicians were the problem and promised to only run for two terms. Wonder what Orrin Harch is doing now?

• Think, Think Think
    Sept. 5, 2008 8:00 a.m.

It will be one thing to get new administrators at the top but in reality voters what you need to do is get every incumbent senator and congressman out of office if you really want to change the direction of this country. Then and only then can a new president and his administration change the direction of this country. This rats nest back in D.C. needs to be thrown out. You know Utah what that means here- Hatch, Bennett, Bishop, Matheson and every incumbent in state office needs to be dumped. Give whoever the new president might be a chance to change things by working with new caring(hopefully) state representatives. Thats how we will make a change. These grey bearded, power mongrels in office now will resist any change a new president wants to make.

• sarah
    Sept. 5, 2008 7:49 a.m.

I have made my decision. I will vote for Obama because I want that new car that he mentioned in his acceptance speech. He said all would afford a new car and I need one. I also could use better health insurance and I would like to see all of my grandchildren get as good an education as Mr Obama. He promised that as well. If that will happen, I will have a bunch of Harvard lawyers in my family.

Go Obama!!! I want to receive all of the handouts.

• Phoebe
    Sept. 5, 2008 7:46 a.m.

The Republicans are hoping the voters are such boobs that they'll respond to empty slogans and forget about the facts. And why not? It's worked before. We voters get the leaders we deserve . . . and if we fall for this stuff yet again, this is all we deserve.

• SO
    Sept. 5, 2008 7:45 a.m.

For those of you that don't believe that McCain and Bush are the same person last night's speech should have removed all fear. His proposals fell directly in line with what W. has championed for 8 miserable years in office. In fact the only places that McCain differed was he was even more adamant about school vouchers and the like. McCain has promised to change the establishment and you saw how well the crowd received that info. The man is the establishment and will find it hard to change the habits he has had for the last 30 years of being a good ole boy

• Don't forget
    Sept. 5, 2008 7:03 a.m.

It is the democrate that makes everything messy and the Republican who has to straighten it out. Let's not forget that Clinton HAD Osama bin Laden and let him go then the repulican had to go after him. If Clinton hadn't have messed things up then the war wouldn't have been necessary.

I'm not for McCain but he's the lesser of the two evil choices placed before us today. Obama has NO experience and Biden who will carry the team. Therefore, I will vote for McCain and No How, No Way, NO OBAMA.

• SlowS
    Sept. 5, 2008 6:53 a.m.

I could not respect McCain more for his service to our country. I honor and admire him. That being said, he is only offering four more years of a repeat of the power-brokers who have nearly wrecked our country's economy and foreign relations.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 5, 2008 6:47 a.m.

I saw something different last night than the rest of you. I think he is sincere and honest. I find all four people - Obama, Biden, McCain and Pallin, to be admirable people. This is first time in my 35 years of voting that all the candidates are decent people. However, I think that McCain's breadth of experiences will play well for America.

• Really?
    Sept. 5, 2008 6:11 a.m.

to establishment: do you really need to reminded you that the republicans controlled the executive and the legislative branches of government for six of the last eight years? Do you really need to reminded of the razor thin majority in the legislature? Do you really need to be reminded of how Bush has sought to obstruct the legislature at every turn by withholding requested information, threats and actual use of the veto pen he lost the first six years? How he has taking his case to the courts when he did not get his way? Sorry but not going to fall for it.

• huh?
    Sept. 5, 2008 6:09 a.m.

Last time I checked, gop had the white house for thepast 7 years. Last time checked the gop had control of congress 6 out of the last 7 years.

McCain is running against... himself. Nice move, move the hand quickly and the dumb public won't notice that you have hidden the pea in your hand.

• Interloper
    Sept. 5, 2008 6:05 a.m.

John McCain has been in Congress for more than half my life, and I am not young. He was in Congress a decade before Bristol Palin was born. He celebrated his silver anniversary in Congress before her fetus was conceived. The man is a retread's retread. How can anyone not see that he is part of the very thing he claims he wants to change?

• To: David O
    Sept. 5, 2008 5:44 a.m.

Look at the religious people? Are you a bigot? Take a look at all the people cheering for Obama who is FOR abortion and gay rights. Are you saying they are or are not religious. It's people like you who get it all mixed up. The thing that McCain said that was dead right was that we will be attacked again by terrorists if we don't do something about it (by the way, terrorists are a group of religious people who believe that you are better off dead). Terrorist countries, N. Korea, Russia all want a democrate in office... hmmmmmm now what does that tell you? it tells you that a republican scares them and they can't do the evil things they want to do.

• KingM
    Sept. 5, 2008 5:39 a.m.

Yes, it's time for the Republicans to get elected so they can reform Washington. Get those liberal activist judges out of the Supreme Court.

Oh, wait. The Republicans have held Congress 12 of the last 14 years and the presidency the last 8 years. Oh, and 7 of the 9 Supreme Court justices were appointed by Republicans.

So what exactly are they trying to say with their change mantra?

• Stump speech redux
    Sept. 5, 2008 5:17 a.m.

McCain was just giving a re-hash of all his prior speeches. His speechwriters could have done better.

It was a typical McCain speech -- a noun, a verb, and POW.

• Re: establishment
    Sept. 5, 2008 3:29 a.m.

Democrats have (sort of) had a majority in congress since January 2007. There are currently an equal number of Democrats and Republicans in the Senate; however, the two Independents in the Senate caucus with the Democrats, giving the majority caucus a voting share of 51%.

There are 235 Democrats in the House and 199 Republicans, giving the Democrats a 54.3% voting share.

A 51% to 54.3% majority may make a big difference in a presidential election where chads are hanging in the balance, but in Congress, belonging to the party with 51% of the seats doesn't mean all that much, particularly when a member of the "minority" party wields the right to veto (or tack a signing statement onto) anything you do.

It would certainly be a stretch to call the Democrats the "establishment" based on their current position in national politics.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 5, 2008 3:05 a.m.

McCain has been in the senate for over twenty years and hasn't make much of a difference yet. It's all a big bunch of hypocracy. No one seems to have any backbone including Romney. They say what they think will get them elected. They try to portray themselves as for the people but it turns out they have lobbyists and are up to their neck getting pork projects through. I don't even care anymore. Neither party passes the smell test.

• David O
    Sept. 5, 2008 1:21 a.m.

He won't clean up anything, he is part of the problem. They all are part of the problem. They go in saying they will clean things up but then become part of the system to remain in office. It's all a farce. What's right is wrong and what is wrong is right. Just look at supposed religious people cheering on Palin's pregnant unwed teen daughter and Palin herself.

• establishment
    Sept. 5, 2008 1:09 a.m.

Who is the establishment? The Republicans? I thought the Democrats controlled Congress.