Fear kept illegals from fleeing Gustav

• Illegal Aliens
    Sept. 3, 2008 2:52 p.m.

They are not "illegal immigrants" they are "illegal aliens", get it right media. By adding immigrant rather than alien the media is just trying to confuse people. They are breaking the law being in the United States illegally, that makes them an illegal alien not an immigrant.

• Sad
    Sept. 3, 2008 2:31 p.m.

This story almost made me cry. We really need to start helping people break the law and not be so closed minded. Laws are meant to be broken not obeyed. Their plight sounds so bad I think they would have been better off staying in Honduras, Mexico, Central America or wherever. America does not sound like a very nice place.

• Chris
    Sept. 3, 2008 11:22 a.m.

I agree with "Illegals". I am tired of the media trying to force Americans to feel sympathy for illegal immigrants. If anyone finds them self in a tough situation because they broke the law, tough. Think about the consequences of your actions before you break the law.

• Illegals?
    Sept. 3, 2008 10:38 a.m.

This really amazes me, the continued effort of some in the media to get people to feel sorry for illegals.
    I don't feel sorry because they have created their situation by breaking the law, (& who cares if it's a law you don't like, it's the law!).
    They also create a sub-culture of "Low-Paid Slave-Labor" that the unscrupulous (sic) prey upon.
    I will feel sorry for unfortunate circumstances, not self-caused fear & dread!

By the way, I think legal immigration is great & so does my legal immigrant family-in-laws!

• Hey
    Sept. 3, 2008 10:27 a.m.

Funny how businesses always claim free market, but don't pay free market wages. These day laborers are only paid enough to barely make ends meet. When will the greed end?

• Adam
    Sept. 3, 2008 3:03 a.m.

So a person immigrates here illegally, works for substandard wages (depressing local wages), and then complains when he's on hold to talk to someone who speaks Spanish? Why should the authorities weed out illegal immigrants who are taking advantage of resources stretched to their limits in a disaster zone?