Don't punish fat people

• evensteven
    Aug. 29, 2008 8:15 p.m.

To Obese,

Dear Sir, you are the rare exception and I genuinely salute you. Far too often however, other large individuals believe it is THEY who are entitled to accomodation because of their size.

• wallofvoodoo
    Aug. 29, 2008 4:13 p.m.

I think more carrot less stick would be most effective. There is research to support it. My Parents are insured through the state. They have a program that "pays" you to do things like stop smoking or loose weight. Agreed, those who pose more of a health risk should pay more. I know I was upset when my rates kept increasing exponentially becuase single girls kept getting pregnant. I thought it was unfair. But what could I do about it, nothing.

• Obese
    Aug. 29, 2008 3:07 p.m.

As an obese man, I really don't know what "normal" sized people expect from me any more. I'll give you an example:

The last time I was on an airplane, because of my size, I BOUGHT two tickets. With two tickets, my weight per seat was 150 pounds--pretty "normal" right? It was the worst flight of my life. The flight was oversold and my "extra" seat became a major source of controversy before take-off. Then, the whole flight, people around me made derogatory comments about "fat people thinking they are entitled to more space than the rest of us".

I don't have a problem with paying more for my insurance because of my size. I just want to be treated a little bit better when I try to be considerate and do the right thing. If people would look past the fat, maybe they would see a guy that was a pretty decent member of society and not someone to scorn and deride.

• lost in DC
    Aug. 29, 2008 12:36 p.m.

Does their weight affect their ability to do their job? If yes, lose the weight or lose the job.

Does their weight increase the cost of their health care? If yes, lose the weight or pay more. Same thing for other lifestyle choices - if you smoke, pay more; if you drink, pay more; if you do drugs, pay more.

If it's a matter of genes, something over which you have no control, you should not be penalized.

I remember security guards as wide as they were tall and thinking that if someone with criminal intent rushed past them at the entrance, there was no way they would be able to catch up to them to stop them - their obesity was a huge obstacle to them being able to do their job.

• huh?
    Aug. 29, 2008 11:43 a.m.

If I follow the logic of Anonymous:10:38 then the free market condition of healthcare would simply fail. The rest of us would pay for what we can afford. If this were to come to pass we would see the cost of healthcare go down because the healthcare industry would have to compete with other interests for our dollar.

I think that we have the expectation and mindset that we have a right to the best healthcare available and that society should preserve my life at all costs. I believe that this entitlement mentality is distorting our ability to have cost effective healthcare.

Healthcare providers can charge more and more because we will pay the cost. If we stop paying the cost then they will provide more cost-effective services. Socializing medicine is the surest way to hinder medical progress. Who is going to do the research when there is nothing to be gained? Sometimes we have to look back to see how far we have come. 60 years ago we didn't have antibiotics. People could die from a flesh wound. Now it is unheard of.

Just sayin...

• Anonymous
    Aug. 29, 2008 10:38 a.m.

Unfortunately, Anon.|10:16 has it right - this is the first wave of "Free Market" healthcare solutions that will eventually leave 90%+ of the population without affordable health insurance because they actually need healthcare. Only those lucky enough to have the proper genetics and no accidents so they don't need any healthcare will be able to afford health insurance.

• Fair play
    Aug. 29, 2008 10:34 a.m.

People are fat because they eat too much. People are rich because they earn too much. Its time we made fat people pay for their indulgences just like we make rich people pay for theirs. Higher taxes for the rich, higher medical insurance costs for the fat. What's the difference?

• Anonymous
    Aug. 29, 2008 10:16 a.m.

Wont be long until your 'insurance' company will decide to cut you loose because of your weight. The free market at work.

• uncannygunman
    Aug. 29, 2008 8:30 a.m.

When they come for you, who's going to stand up for you? The smokers? The fat people? Noooo, they're going to say "serves you right" for not standing up for me!

I hope there are people who realize that $25 is a pittance to pay for health insurance, refuse to weigh-in, and just pay the fee. I think I would be inclined to (and I'm far from obese), just as a protest to the system.

• Anonymous
    Aug. 29, 2008 7:49 a.m.

I think this is an awesome idea.

My only change would be that the "normal" sized people should get the money that the fat people are being charged.

Same on airline flights or concert seats. If you are overweight you pay more but that extra you pay goes to the poor person that had to sit next to the overweight person.

We'd see the pounds being shed quickly.

• Gopherus
    Aug. 29, 2008 7:20 a.m.

If you support the idea that people who work for the government can be fired (or not hired) because the have tattoos then you must support the idea that they can be fired (or not hired) because they are fat. Both can be unsightly to some people. We should also be able to fire those with, or without, facial hair (both men and women). Why not simply post that any employee can be fired at any time if any customer finds them remotely unattractive. Wouldn't that make it better for all of us who must occasionally conduct government business? No. You've got a point.

• Anonymous
    Aug. 29, 2008 2:57 a.m.

This is no different than selecting smokers or drinkers. There is plenty of proof fat kills.