Clinton wows Dems; she implores supporters to back Obama

• Missing the point
    Aug. 27, 2008 9:26 p.m.

I believe the goal was for Clinton to convince her more hardcore supporters to vote for Obama. 18 million votes is a lot and with how close this election will probably be, Obama will need most, and probably nearly all of them to win. Wheter they come around and vote for Barack or not is Obama's problem, not Clintons. If Obama wants to win them over he better think of something quick. He relies too much on other people to make things happen when he should be doing a lot of the work himself. Hillary did all she could, now Obama has to close the deal.

• RE: IN a quandry
    Aug. 27, 2008 4:30 p.m.

Very simple!

Vote Bob Barr.

He's the only real legitimate leader out there that is running.

• Wake Up!
    Aug. 27, 2008 4:07 p.m.

Hoosier Daddy,
    I wasn't talking about the candidates I am talking about the people who comment on boards like this do you hear a rational debate on why Obama, or McCain is the better candidate. (sorry Hilary lost)
    And before you assume I did not watch the debates or visit the candidates web sites you would be wrong. But do not kid yourself if you think anyone is really having a national dialogue on the issues. Our societiy as a whole no longer is actively engaged. Most form their opinions on a 15 second sound bite or what they hear on talk radio. Not on the facts. And while we sit and argue our country is slowly losing its place in the world. Only we as the people can change it and we vote every day in the choices we make think about what I am saying. Its not just your elected officals that run this country. If you want change then get involved.

• GK from England
    Aug. 27, 2008 1:22 p.m.

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, BLAH!!! Same old misleading rhetoric from Clinton and the phoney democrats. Glad to hear Obama is not visiting Utah...that would have been a waste of EVERYONE'S time and money.

• re: In a quandary
    Aug. 27, 2008 1:18 p.m.

Run for office or take two steps back and punt.

• In a quandary
    Aug. 27, 2008 12:40 p.m.

Well - here I am a registered Republican (not from Utah!), but I don't want to vote for McCain, for several reasons.

I also do not want to vote for Obama for many reasons.

What am I to do?

• Thanks Hil (again)
    Aug. 27, 2008 11:55 a.m.

Hillary made 50 direct references to herself, 13 references to Obama, and she showed a movie promoting herself.

Help unify the DNC: NO
    Help Obama: NO
    Team player: NO
    Promote her self interests: YES

I think Hillary missed a great opportunity to further the DNC cause. Instead she wasted several primetime minutes with self promotion and few minor shots at the GOP. I can already hear the Hillary "I told you so" speech. Look out 2012.

• @hoosier daddy
    Aug. 27, 2008 10:38 a.m.

"I'm reminded of how Richard Nixon never would talk about details yet people still elected him!

GO HILLARY!!"

Yes, and we all know how well the Nixon Administration ended up don't we ?

• Hoosier Daddy
    Aug. 27, 2008 9:42 a.m.

Wake Up needs to do just that-- WAKE UP!

Yes, if you had been listening over the course of the past several months you would have heard debates on the issues. And Hillary was one of the best at detailing the issues and her solutions while many of the others--including Obama--failed to speak out on the minute details of how they/he planned to solve the nation's problems.

GO HILLARY!!

• Hilary
    Aug. 27, 2008 9:40 a.m.

HILARY HILARI HILARIO HILARIOU HILARIOUS HILARIOUS HILARIOUS.... This is too good to be true. A comedy lead by the buffoons of Pelosi and Reid. What total joke. We the people of America need to stand proud of this total embarrassment!

• Ozark Bubba
    Aug. 27, 2008 9:35 a.m.

Right on ECR! and Stephen Harper! and Go Hillary Go! Apparently the other commenters out there weren't watching the same Democratic Conventionas you and I were watching!!!

Hillary was magnificent! I'm proud to say she was Arkansas' former First Lady and our nation's former First Lady as well as the Senate's "top lady."

Too bad Obama didn't choose her for his running mate. They would have been a winning team!

• RE: I dont get it??
    Aug. 27, 2008 9:30 a.m.

"How can Clinton speak so poorly of Obama and say that he has NO experience when she is running against him and then say "He's the man" today? What a two-faced....... " -- oh, and Romney speaking poorly of McCain during the campaign and now speaking highly of him is NOT two-faced??? Come on folks. Both Hillary and Romney are doing what's best for their parties. It's not being "two faced" it's being a team player!! And by the way, people are allowed to change their minds and their opinions after they get more information and other viewpoints.

• Oh Please
    Aug. 27, 2008 9:29 a.m.

Hillary said it all -- McCain/Bush are twins in the service of greed and selfishness.

• Hey 1:53 above
    Aug. 27, 2008 9:23 a.m.

It's high time the rich started paying their share of taxes. I pay a higher percentage of my income to taxes than they do. Why shouldn't they have to pay their share? Selfish, Selfish, Selfish...
    I'm voting for Obama! And giving another donation today!

• Re: 8:02 A,M.
    Aug. 27, 2008 9:20 a.m.

I love the assumption that ensuring health care for every American is a bad thing, but giving $25,000,000,000 to bail out mortgage companies is just fine. Letting credit card companies write bankruptcy laws? That's great, just as long as those pesky gays aren't allowed to have their relationships legally recognized!

I have to wonder if "Utah" is a Native American word that means "total sheep." Do you people even think before you post this stuff?

• re: 7:30
    Aug. 27, 2008 9:07 a.m.

Awesome woman!

The kind insecure men like Keith in Colorado are intimidated by.

These types of men are better off in their backwards, backwoods patriarchal cultures where they can treat their women like chattel or breeding stock.

• Ed
    Aug. 27, 2008 8:54 a.m.

Why can't the republicans here accept the fact that they and the guy they voted for drove America into the ground.
    I know, it's probably not the easiest thing for a bunch of chest thumping super-patriots (ha) to handle.
    But haven't you done enough to this country?

• Anonymous
    Aug. 27, 2008 8:52 a.m.

Wow - do you read all these super smart people and their ideas that are better than those in charge? I can't wait for them to run for public office and see how they do. Always a critic - always pathetic.

• Wake Up
    Aug. 27, 2008 8:31 a.m.

I find it interesting to watch all the hate and venom that is spewed out on the comment boards every day. There is no real debate on the issues facing our country or thought on how to change things. Just anger and hatred for one another. As one person put it we dont need to change America we need to fix it. Then look no further than your own door step. We have the power to correct the path were on if could just stop and look at what is good for the nation as a whole not just ourselves. We spend so much time arguing over petty issues and things that in the long run dont matter. While the media and the candidates tell you what they want you to hear, no one is really debating the issues facing our country. The economy, Iraq, social security, (etc.) We sit around bickering over our petty difference. Look around our country is on her knees. I dont care what party youre aligned with their both corrupt. The only one s who can fix it, are we the people. Before you respond think about what I'm saying. There is another way.

• Why Obama?
    Aug. 27, 2008 8:25 a.m.

As Hugh Hewitt said so eloquently yesterday (and my quote may not be right on) "Obama is a radical empty-suited liberal" and, "is as far to the left as you can get". For all you folks that love Obama so muchh, I'd like to know why - because it can't be on substance. He has "0" experience and when he's not behind a teleprompter, his total lack of knowledge and grasp of the major issues is shamful at best. His slogan is CHANGE. I'm still waiting to know what substantive changes there will be.

• Re.: Holly_wood @ 1:53am
    Aug. 27, 2008 8:02 a.m.

"Leeches"?
    Leech - 1, a blood-sucking worm. 2, an instrument for drawing out blood. 3, a parasitic person.

Parasite - a person, animal, or plant that lives in or on or at the expense of another.

Taxing the rich to pay for the poors needs (or wants), wealth redistribution, windfall profits tax ... these all sound like a Democratic platform ... they also fall under the above definitions ... Soooo, I think you ment the "Leeches in Colorado, Denver to be specific!"

• Like McCain
    Aug. 27, 2008 7:52 a.m.

Bidden is a part of the problem
    McCain over 30 years is a problem
    Oran Hatch over 30 years as a senitor
    36 years as a senitor
    Hillery has 35 years
    Experience?
    Obama does not have all the screw ups following him, He is fresh and will start off even
    We need change to get America out of the hole
    Americans have lost the Country to Politis, That is the real THREAT to America
    They have their own agenda, Not the Peoples business at heart
    This is the CHANGE we neeed
    We The People

• GO HILLARY GO
    Aug. 27, 2008 7:39 a.m.

She was espectacular!!! and of course many of you remember the Lewinski issue, BUT YOU DON HAVE SAME MORAL to talk about that McCain wasnt divorce when he was "seeing" his present wife...did I say DIVORCE? and you don say how dirty is your Pres. Bush because of those "constructing Irak" business have, or about when the UN say to him to DONT go to war agaisnt IRAK and he didnt care!!!and now is Iran, Pakistan and Afganistan...what a magnificent business!!! this goberment is full of DIRTY business and have moral to talk about others!!!
    US is in this hole because of these kind of people in the power!
    A change is needed, and I dont think we are going to have that change with John "RAMBO" McCain, he is not a politician, he is a military, and like other military guys, he likes to fight, and we dont need to make war agaisnt the world, we need to take care of our people in OUR country!!!
    Republicans get a break!!!

• Thanks Hil
    Aug. 27, 2008 7:33 a.m.

I would be interested to see a count for how many time Hillary referred to Obama and how many times she said "me", "I", and "my". It looked to me like she used the DNC stage to launch her 20012 campaign and she is already gloating.

I think her speech was self serving and she missed a great opportunity to show unity. Hillary gave the election to the GOP so she could run in 2012.

• Keith in Colorado
    Aug. 27, 2008 7:30 a.m.

re: it's no wonder.

Let's see, she's today's "don't-need-anyone-to-take-care-of-me" American woman? Well, Obama kicked her arrogant self-serving butt! And you know, neither she or Bill will ever forgive him nor the people who didn't vote for her. Like Obama, because she's the media's love child, she never ever got any tough quesions.

• Anonymous
    Aug. 27, 2008 7:28 a.m.

I LOVE Obama, and think Clinton's speach was wonderful! Go Democrats, take back the Whitehouse!!!

• Back Out
    Aug. 27, 2008 7:07 a.m.

If the democrates "END" the war by backing out then we WILL be in the fight again in the future. Only it will be worse. Obama will go for gun control, which only supports the criminal and not the law abiding citizen. He support abortion and, according to Clinton herself, HE HAS NO EXPERIENCE.

• Bob in line
    Aug. 27, 2008 7:03 a.m.

I thought the speech was pretty hi-hum. And as the camera panned through the audience it seemed most people thought it was ho-hum as well. And she did endorse Obama but very lukewarm.

I think we are seeing the real Hillary here. Cold, distant and calculating. Her endorsement of Obama was just enough to say she did, not enough to push it over the top. I think she wants Obama to lose so she can begin campaigning on November 5 of this year for the 2012 election. And now she can add, 'see, I told you so. Should have nominated me in 2008 and we would have beat McCain.'

Polls show that Democrats did not really get thrilled by the speech and that a large number of Clinton supporters are still not going to vote for Obama. I bet they stay home in large numbers.

• WinSum
    Aug. 27, 2008 7:01 a.m.

Wow! Hillary is so proud, proud, proud of ...? Now if she would just go write another book and leave us alone....between "Clinton Fatigue" and "Obama Over-Exposed" by the liberal media, the ship is sinking and we are left "gasping for a breath of fresh air." Oh, I forgot: Harry and Nancy are on watch...! Don't want to deal with economy or gas prices. Got to go home and vacation. Cut and run, or abandon ship people, make me nervous. Neither Nancy, Harry, Clinton or Obama seems to realize we have serious enemies. But you can be they are looking to tax, tax, tax. You can WinSum or LoseSum. What will this group "really do?" Seems clear to me and it ain't pretty.

• PH
    Aug. 27, 2008 6:55 a.m.

It was logical for Hillary to rally her supporters to the Democrat's cause. What I still don't understand is how she can claim 35 years' experience. Experience in what? In working? She HAS NOT been in national public service for 35 years.

Both Hillary and Bill Clinton are certainly ambitious, they have a political marriage and for them, politics is a religion.

Yet, they can take some responsibility for George W. Bush being in office. Many middle Americans were simply tired of hearing of the personal life of Bill Clinton, brought forcefully to our minds through the Monica Lewinsky mess. We were embarrassed and disgusted by his behavior.

• it's no wonder
    Aug. 27, 2008 6:44 a.m.

Now we can see why conservative hero, Rush Limbaugh has such seething, misogynist hatred for Hillary Clinton.

She is totally fantastic.

A fighter, a fearless leader, and a great compassionate role model for today's 'don't-need-anyone-to-take-care-of-me' American woman who will not be bullied.

All traits the neocons hate with a passion.

• I don't get it
    Aug. 27, 2008 6:27 a.m.

• STEPHEN HARPER
    Aug. 27, 2008 5:50 a.m.

This is the best speech Hillary has ever given.

• Keith in Colorado
    Aug. 27, 2008 5:47 a.m.

This is a fight for the future, and this is a fight we must win together,"? A fight? What fight? It is obvious that the party is tremendously divided. Obama speaks of HOPE and CHANGE - all buzz words and no substance! A house divided against itself, cannot stand. While a senator Obama showed up for work a total of 142 days. "I've got leftovers in my frig that are older than that" (love that quote!) With his "vast" experience - Change and hope? What change? What are we to hope for and what will it be based on? In those wonderful speaches, what specifics did Obama share with you?

• ECR
    Aug. 27, 2008 5:43 a.m.

Hillary blew them away and hit all the right notes. Her best speech to date.

• Audrey Seegmiller
    Aug. 27, 2008 5:32 a.m.

I agree with the first comment...it was a pathetic display of desperation. She's annoying, her husband is annoying and Barak Obama is annoying. They are all Socialist just wanting power for the so called Democratic party. They don't care about us as a Nation and why do we need to change America?? We don't need to change it, we need to fix it and McCain and Obama will not do this. The Dems and Repubs are running this country into the ground!

• awsomeron
    Aug. 27, 2008 5:03 a.m.

Surrender! Plain an simple Surrender. It was all a lie, or as Bill would say "I never had sex with that women Lois Griffin." It is almost always a lie with these people they say what ever they need to say, when ever they need to say it. Now they want to count her delegates at a time other then prime time TV. I think they do not want to take the fight to the Convention Floor for fear of just what might happen. The people might have a reality moment. Obamas Wife gave a Speech and said in her Speech that The Dem Party was going to keep Abortion on Demand Legal because "having a child is a sacred responsibility" that some women are not prepared to undertake. I suppose Mrs. Obama has never heard of Adoption, perhaps LDS Social Services should send her some information. Hillary wants to be part of the Obamanation and she still has her job as Senator. Maybe the payoff was paying her Campaign Debt. I just know that something smells, and they the Pols still think "We The People", are stupid.

• It's still, all about her
    Aug. 27, 2008 4:52 a.m.

To save face, Hillary had to say all that. She's still making it all about her. I agree with "pathetic display." the Dems are pretty desperate...they know Obama isn't strong enough to run this country.

• Jay Rogers
    Aug. 27, 2008 3:47 a.m.

The end of the argument is that could anyone be or do worse that the present president?

• Tom Joad
    Aug. 27, 2008 3:25 a.m.

Both parties are taking us right over the cliff.

• Holly_wood
    Aug. 27, 2008 1:53 a.m.

You ain't seen nothin' yet! Just wait for the pathetic speeches from the leeches in Minnesota.

• Chuck:Clinton wows Dems???
    Aug. 27, 2008 1:50 a.m.

""I am here tonight as a proud mother, as a proud Democrat, as a proud senator from New York, a proud American and a proud supporter of Barack Obama," she said to a standing ovation."

Um, notice anybody missing in there? Like the guy she's married to - who used to be President of the United States of America. Interesting that she didn't say she was a proud wife. I wonder why none of the network talking heads picked up on that "dissing" of Bill Clinton.

My least favorite part of the speech is also my least favorite part of the entire Democrat campaign. Hillary called for ENDING the war, not WINNING the war. I hope McCain nails her and them on that distinction at the GOP convention next week.

In the end, Hillary did the bare minimum she needed to do to avoid any future criticism that she was a sore loser. She gave Obama the bare minimum endorsement necessary, and nothing more. While publicly rooting for a Democrat victory this year, she'll obviously lose no sleep over an Obama loss on November 4. Because that means the 2012 Hillary for President campaign will begin in early November.

• Go John McCain!!
    Aug. 27, 2008 1:38 a.m.

Go Johnny Go!! Quick, get us into another war so we can take our minds off the economy and the poor!!

• NMP
    Aug. 27, 2008 1:11 a.m.

I admire Senator Clinton and really enjoyed her speech tonight. It would have really made history if she and Senator Oboma had been on the ticket together, but, Senator Oboma and Senator Biden will make a great team. I think we need a new outlook, one of HOPE instead of FEAR. I feel that the majority of Americans cannot be wrong when they say we need a change. Greed and corruption has brought our Nation down and now is our chance for change. America, a vote for Senators Oboma and Biden is a vote for you!

• What a pathetic display
    Aug. 27, 2008 1:00 a.m.

This has to be one of the most pathetic displays of desperation I've ever seen. She couldn't win the democratic party election, so now her and Bill will do whatever they can do in their power to remain in as much power as possible.