Mourners reflect on Guatemalan plane crash victims

Group killed in Guatemala remembered for service

• Valorie Thompson
    May 4, 2009 11:23 a.m.

I just found out about John Carter. I knew him when he came to TN. He was a very loving person and always made me laugh. He will be sorely missed. My prayers go out to his family.

• Mandy Preece
    Sept. 20, 2008 1:00 p.m.

I work with John Carters wife Lisa. She is such a wonderful person and I just want her to know that they are in my thoughts and prayers. And John was a wonderful person and he will be missed dearly.

• Jason Durtschi
    Aug. 28, 2008 5:25 a.m.

My wife Camille and I had the pleasure of participating in a CHOICE Humanitarian expedition with Javier and Walfred a couple summers ago in a tiny Mayan village in remote Guatemala. When I received the tragic news my mind and heart returned to this remarkable partnership- their remarkable goodness and warmth. They were truly examples of the Christian ethics in action and anyone has has ever worked with them will feel the world a little less bright without them. Our thoughts and prayers and tears go out to the family and thousands of friends of Walfred and Javier, as well as others whose lives were lost in this tragedy.

• John Porter
    Aug. 27, 2008 1:15 a.m.

C. Rabanales, I would be very grateful if you would contact me at our offices. We love family and would like to visit with you.

• Sharon Larkin
    Aug. 27, 2008 12:20 a.m.

My daughter is currently on a CHOICE Humanitarian mission in Kenya. When informed of the Guatamalan tragedy, she helped translate in Spanish the communications of CHOICE leaders and the victims' family. I am grateful she could help out in a small way, both for those in Kenya and for those in Guatamala. Our hearts go out to the those victims and their families of this terrible tragedy.

• From C. Rabanales, brother
    Aug. 26, 2008 10:47 p.m.

I am deeply touched,impressed, and grateful for all the love and respect shown toward my brother Javier and his dear wife, Walfred. They indeed were a great couple. I thank all of you for your support.
    It is not an exaggeration when David Woolley states that thousands of people were at the funeral. I was overwhelmed to see many people who traveled so much, like brother Santiago, from Polochic, to pay his last respect to his dear friends.
    Also, the serenity, peace of mind, and courage shown by my nephews, Josue and Daniel, and my niece, Laura, are a testimony that they understand what their parents taught them about God's plan in a profound and real sense.
    We are working towards our going back to normal life. But actually, our lives will never be normal again after seeing what a great impact a couple of dedicated humans can do.

• Anonymous
    Aug. 26, 2008 8:24 p.m.

I don't know anything about these people, but one look at their picture tells me the world just lost an outstanding couple. Thanks Deseret News for the great picture and article.

• Lisa
    Aug. 26, 2008 3:41 p.m.

Thank you for including Javier and Walfred in this article. They touched many people's lives here in the United States. They too were CHOICE employees.

• David G. Woolley
    Aug. 26, 2008 2:56 p.m.

Thank you Deseret News for keeping us posted about the Rabanales. All of us who knew them have been richly blessed by their examples.

I posted a short tribute to them at davidgwoolley dot blogspot dot com to honor them and to keep those of us who are touched by this loss informed on details for a planned memorial service in remembrance of their lives and their work.

Thousands of people attenend the viewing Monday in Guatemala City and many natives from the remote highlands made the arduous fourteen hour drive to the capital to pay their respects and honor this couple who for so many years gave them hope for a brighter, self-reliant future.

God bless you Javier and Walfred. So many people miss you.

• So Sad
    Aug. 26, 2008 1:16 p.m.

In this crash, the one in Moab and the one near Blanding, all the people killed and injured were good, caring, decent people who went out of their way to help others. While we know their families and friends are bearing a loss we can hardly contemplate, the world is a lesser place because of their absence, and therefore we all have suffered a loss.

We all owe a debt of gratitude to those people, and many others, who go out of their way to make a difference in people's lives and circumstances.