Roy sex boutique doesn't cause blight and crime, attorneys argue

• Annonymous
    March 18, 2009 1:46 p.m.

Re: Chris Plummer - - I FULLY concur with Chris, and would suggest to ALL LDS members to investigate the doctrine of the LDS more fully. As for the medium of "ACTUAL FACTS," I would HIGHLY recommend a book titled, "The Mormon Illusion" (ISBN-10: 0825431921 and ISBN-13: 978-0825431920) - - It does a VERY good job of laying out the FACTS concerning the doctrine of the LDS Church.

• Chris Plummer
    Aug. 21, 2008 1:28 p.m.

RE: To Chris Plummer... I don't need to back up my facts. I just suggested she check out the doctrine of her church more closely. The Deseret Morning News comments sections doesn't give me the space needed to say what I need to say. But certainly 10 minutes of your time investigating any claims made would prove me correct. Bye now.

• Mormons at Dr. John's
    Aug. 21, 2008 12:43 p.m.

A LOT of my married-couple friends shop at this store. Officially the LDS church stays out of the bedroom of adult men and women who are married. Singles may use the shop too, but they will have the same sex anyway, with or without "marital" aids.

I have beed I.D.'d every time I have visited. I am LDS as well.

• Anonymous
    Aug. 21, 2008 12:25 p.m.

denice, i'm not sure how you correlate an adult novelty shop to deadbeat dads etc... many people going into such stores are monogamous couples who just want a little spice in their life. maybe you should check it out before posting such ridiculous things....

• Concerned
    Aug. 21, 2008 11:25 a.m.

"Would someone please tell me with statistics how in the world a sex boutique selling novelty items and lingerie increases crime in the area???"

Yes, this is the argument. But it isn't limited to Utah. The law is the "sexually oriented business law" and it is designed to make opening adult boutiques just as difficult and costly as strip bars.

The law requires onerous licensing rules and fees; and relegates the opening of such stores into "warehouse" districts. This makes feasibility and profitability difficult - serving the intended affect of making an owner think twice about opening.

Boutiques are OFF-PREMISE or "carry out" stores. The boutiques I refer to have NO pre-view booths or any other on premise activity.

The customer may make a purchase and take it home. The SOB law used data from strip clubs and peep shows that allow ON PREMISE activity.

There are *NO* studies anywhere in the USA that have focused on ADULT BOUTIQUE stores that feature take-home product only.

And that is the current problem.

• BiasWatch
    Aug. 21, 2008 6:17 a.m.

If it truly was a "sex boutique" or "sex shop" one could buy sex there.

One can't.

Please, D-News editors, aspire to some objectivity rather than repeat the puritanical propaganda of John Harmer's Lighted Candle Society.

The industry uses "adult novelty" or "romance enhancement," but you don't need to use their preferred terms either.

• When kids shop
    Aug. 21, 2008 2:08 a.m.

If the city's true goal is to restrict sale to minors, why the 2-10am closure requirement? Are kids up then doing their shopping and I've just never noticed?

• Freedom & Capitalism in Utah?
    Aug. 21, 2008 12:42 a.m.

I am LDS and I have to say that these in your face overly religious politicians/judges need to get out of the 1800s and let people be adults to choose for themselves! Many couples use these very clean and relatively tame places to support their marriage and physical relationships! Freedom and capitalism should be supported, NOT stomped out!

These places are already very strictly run for adults only and are very clean (nothing like what you would find in a novelty shop in Vegas or even California!) You can find lingerae and Trojans etc. at Wal-Mart and every retail store, and worse videos on cable and satellite/local video stores, so are they next in line? These politicans need to get off their high horse and take Utah out of the Dark Ages!

• SpySmiley
    Aug. 20, 2008 11:41 p.m.

Dave, Bingo!!!!

Only in Utah. It's legal. Only adults have access. Store contents can be fun. No kids allowed. What in all that glorifies existence is going on? Who gets hurt? Who will enjoy the store's contents and have happy fun? If it's stuff to make people - adults - happy, why does the state and a certain church care?

1 - The state cares because Utah government is run by the "church".

2 - The "church" cares because allowing the business to operate, it loses another control.

Church/State. Arm in arm.

It's nobody's business but the buyer and the seller.

Please, Utah, come in from the 16th Century.

• Anonymous
    Aug. 20, 2008 10:41 p.m.

How many women are you, Denice? Sorry, I digress. Sex shops don't cause the problems claimed. They aren't even a symptom. We live in an unhealthy society as far as sex is concerned.

• Dave
    Aug. 20, 2008 10:15 p.m.

Only in Utah would this even be a news story!! Would someone please tell me with statistics how in the world a sex boutique selling novelty items and lingerie increases crime in the area??? That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

• Sara
    Aug. 20, 2008 10:11 p.m.

Patriarchal oppression?? I am laughing right now. Any woman in our society that is being oppressed has only herself to blame. There are many supports in place for women. No one has to be oppressed by a husband. On the other hand, I feel very oppressed by evil men who are exploiting women for their own gain and trying to pass it off as philanthropy. Give me a break. If you are as stupid as you hope I am, "Dr. John", I feel sorry for you.

• PHXCOP
    Aug. 20, 2008 9:56 p.m.

Hooray Denise!

• To: Chris Plummer
    Aug. 20, 2008 9:55 p.m.

Why don't bigots like you quit throwing out firebrand rumors and innuendo and backup your bigotry with real facts. Do you have any facts? Do you have any proof to back up your malicious lies? If not then you are just that, a bigot spouting falsehoods. We don't want your "thoughts." We want actual facts. Of course, you have none.

• Chris Plummer
    Aug. 20, 2008 7:54 p.m.

Re:Denice
    Maybe you should take a closer look at your doctrine the LDS church teaches. Just a thought.

• Anonymous
    Aug. 20, 2008 4:30 p.m.

Re: Well here we go again...
    Not committing adultery, not committing fornication, not looking upon a women to lust after her is not only the will of the church, it is the will of God! Any Godly person can see that!

• Well here we go again
    Aug. 20, 2008 3:31 p.m.

...if it doesn't conform to the will of the church...that is unless you make more monetary demands on the business.

• Denice
    Aug. 20, 2008 3:20 p.m.

I'm a women in Utah who is religious and there's no patriarchal oppression by religious men in my church. Which is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
    The oppression comes from wicked men who have no respect for women. Men who treat women as though they were sex toys. Men who don't read their Bible and look upon women to lust after them. Women whom men claim they love but as soon as they have defiled them, they leave them pregnant without a husband to help raise and care for the children. They call these women Ho's and all sorts of names when they themselves need to take the beam out of their eyes. These men who are dead-beat dads and won't pay a stitch of child support leaving these mothers to send their children to day care instead of nurturing and caring for them themselves. You, John Coil, want to call that sexual liberation. I call that sexual bondage. I have a child of my own and am very glad that I'm married to a "religious" man who respects and honors women and children! And he supports me and child! If that is oppression, give me oppression!