Man admits he stole wire to feed his family

• Le Miserables
    Aug. 18, 2008 6:16 p.m.

Like Jean Val Jean in Le Miserables who went to prison for stealing a loaf of bread to feed his hungry family, it is sad when someone feels they have to resort to this type of thing to buy food for the family. (Of course they didn't EAT the wire, poster #1). And the money probably goes for more than food.

I would suggest that instead of incarceration, this man should be required to get a job and repay the company he stole from. That way he can support his family, repay his debt, and have a job. He should be monitored, perhaps with an ankle monitor, as part of his sentence. But incarceration in cases like this is just wrong.

• kenny
    Aug. 18, 2008 2:19 p.m.

I had a young woman and her two daughters stop me in a parking lot the other day asking for money to feed her family.Without judging their intent one way or the other I gave them the only eleven dollars I had in my wallet.That was 11 dollars I had planned on using to feed myself at McDonalds.So instead I went home and ate a bowl of ice cream and made a frozen dinner.Then I was reminded of the fact that I have been the recipient of this type of help in the past.Please open your wallets to those who may need help.Please dont turn people away thinking they are only trying to rip you off.Just help them.

• Stewart
    Aug. 18, 2008 11:37 a.m.

How is this guy any different than an illegal alien that steals into the country just to make a better life and feed his family? Perhaps the thief should be given "amnesty" and be able to keep his ill gotten gains. His problem is that he doesn't have ethnic, political, and business support groups. And why is it wrong for those that bought the wire? They get cheap wire and the thief is able to support his family.

• I feel....
    Aug. 18, 2008 11:26 a.m.

bad for this fella's family, especially if he's got little children. It was a stupid choice on his part to resort to stealing.

My heart goes out to his family and I do hope that they'll be able to get the help they are going to need while he is being incarcerated.

• Mc
    Aug. 18, 2008 9:37 a.m.

Guess who gets to feed his family while he's incarcerated?

• What about the buyer?
    Aug. 18, 2008 9:29 a.m.

The company that bought the wire had to know it was stolen. They should be prosecuted as well.

• Do the math
    Aug. 18, 2008 7:22 a.m.

Feeding his family at A THOUSAND BUCKS A WEEK?!?!?!?
    Must be a BIG family.
    By the way, that's a lousy ROI. Turning $18K into $1K is NOT a good deal.
    The DN ought to name this galoot.

• Wire to feed family?
    Aug. 18, 2008 7:11 a.m.

I've never tried wire before. It must be pretty tasty to have a whole family eating it.