Cattle take the I-84 whoa-slow lane

UDOT, rancher hope to find an alternative to the annual drive

• Ron
    Aug. 18, 2008 10:49 p.m.

@Cows and Cars don't mix , That is for sure. You lose in you car

• Cows and Cars don't mix
    Aug. 18, 2008 4:23 p.m.

No kidding. Niether do bikes and cars.

If a vehicle or person cannot go the speed limit safely, they shouldn't be allowed on the highway or freeway.

Truck the cows. It'll just have to be part of doing business. I personally know a rancher that must truck his cows 45 miles twice each year. BIG DEAL. sure it costs him a couple of thousand dollars...but that's the cost of doing business.

It's unsafe, and it also inconviniences 100's of people to allow livestock, or bicyclists on our highways and freeways. It's rude.

Legislate against allowoing them on the highway! Make special lanes for them to go on next to the highways. Do something. STOP THE MADDNESS.

• Matthew
    Aug. 18, 2008 4:21 p.m.

I suspect that each head of cattle in that herd is of much more value to society than the average trip that is being made on that stretch of Interstate.

Too many people are in too big a hurry to go no place in particular for no particular reason.

I certainly hope that the solution that they arrive at allows them to continue to trail their cattle.

• Say slow down to the world
    Aug. 18, 2008 3:29 p.m.

I love cattle, I like to eat beef, and I'm all for 'slowing down' and sticking with grassroots living. My best wishes to the Pentz family! May their tradition never be altered for the sake of a world that is way too abrupt in just about everything it does! That's the lifeblood of America, and the heart of Utah!

• Oh?
    Aug. 18, 2008 2:26 p.m.

Dear 'Hey Incredibly Foolish':

How much does UDOT charge for the use of the road?

Who do I speak to about renting I-15 for a block party? Its my right, isn't it?

• Safety
    Aug. 18, 2008 12:20 p.m.

Drivers need to realize that cattle have the same rights to the road as vehicles. It is the law that vehicles stay 3 feet from the cattle. I am so sick of vehicle buzzing me when I'm driving cattle on the freeway. If any vehicles hit my cattle, it is the vehicles fault. Vehicles are 100% responsible for the safety of my cattle, and I am 0% responsible for the safety of my cattle. I can basically do anything with my cattle on roads that I want, and vehicles need to make sure my cattle stay safe.

Sincerely,
    Agro Combative Cyclist

• Anonymous
    Aug. 18, 2008 11:37 a.m.

The pents will kill someone and it will be UDOTs falt.

• Hey, Incredibly Foolish
    Aug. 18, 2008 11:07 a.m.

You're probably uneducated to realize that they have to pay for the use of this section when they do use it for this purpose.

• Great!
    Aug. 18, 2008 9:41 a.m.

I think its great that one family still strives to keep traditions alive! Its a pain to drive through those herds, but then on the other hand doesn't it take you back to what and where we all really came from?

Deal with it UDOT! Its just not that big of a deal!

• New Invention
    Aug. 18, 2008 8:35 a.m.

I just heard about a great new invention that may solve the problem. It's called a "cattle truck." I don't understand all of the technical details, but I am lead to understand that this is a type of vehicle that will transport "cattle" from one point to another.

The family says it has no options. Perhaps they could investigate this new development.

Just a suggestion.

• Incredibly Foolish
    Aug. 18, 2008 7:19 a.m.

The Pentz's claim that they are entitled to take over a public interstate highway because they want to preserve their "historic" way of life is foolish and selfish.

UDOT should arrest them and confiscate the cattle. Let's see how much "historic" value the Pentz's place in their livestock.

• Get over it
    Aug. 18, 2008 7:07 a.m.

I had the pleasure of seeing this a few years ago on a trip to Utah from Denver. We still passed through, going slow and careful, giving the kids some great entertainment. It was neat to see the cowboys representing their traditions and original settings of Utah. For those who can't deal with something like this once a year, they have way too much time on their hands and have become rather pathetic people.