Don't stereotype soldiers

• Mac
    Aug. 18, 2008 7:58 p.m.

As a veteran of several conflicts as well as currently serving The State of Utah as a peace officer, I do take offense to the statement, "Our law enforcement and soldiers glory in [violence]" My final deployment to Afghanistan I left behind a new wife and a very young child, because I was ordered to go. I signed that contract and swore to uphold and defend. I was more than confused about why we were actually there until about half way through my tour when I discovered a group who did need me as much as I needed a reason to be there. The children; we built several orphanages as well as schools for them. I personally received donations of well over 300 lbs for "my" kids. Balloons, candy school supplies even cloths and shoes. That was not all, several of us did the best with the meager skills we had to entertain the children, including some who were in the hospital, away from their families for the first time in their lives. I saw many cases of love, comfort and hopefully a better future for many. Wow... I guess the glory is NOT in violence after all.....

• re: how it goes
    Aug. 18, 2008 7:06 p.m.

Wars and who was president at the beginning and end:

WWI- Woodrow Wilson was a democrat, he was president from start to finish.

WWII- FDR was a democrat was the president at the start. Harry S. Truman, also a democrat, at the end.

Korea- Truman, still a democrat, at the beginning. Dwight D. Eisenhower, a republican, at the end.

Vietnam- Eisenhower, republican, sent advisers. LBJ, a democrat, sent troops. Gerald Ford, a republican, at the end.

Cold War- Truman, still a democrat, at the beginning. Ronald Reagan, a republican, at the end.

Persian Gulf War- GH Bush, a republican, beginning and end.

Iraq War- GW Bush, a republican, beginning.

• re: how it goes
    Aug. 18, 2008 6:03 p.m.

When did the democrats get out of vietnam? That happened with a republican president.

or korea? over fifty year and counting

or even germany or japan? over sixty years and counting

what about former yugoslavia? don;t still have "peace keepers" their?

What about the first Gulf war? Didn't we leave when we were done. I think so.

"How It Goes" maybe you should actually read a history book or a book period, even a newspaper.

• how it goes
    Aug. 18, 2008 4:55 p.m.

Here's the way it usually goes:
    Republican administrations tend to commit the country to war
    Democratic administrations tend to get us the [bleep] out of them

• re: Re "Enough," 3:55
    Aug. 18, 2008 4:25 p.m.

I didn't get the message that Ultra-Bob was slamming soldiers or being condescending at all.
    (But you win today's Rush Limbaugh sound-alike award)

But rather the fools that are playing power games and putting them into harm's way.

Big differenc, Neocon.

• Re "Enough, | 11:21 a.m"
    Aug. 18, 2008 3:55 p.m.

Is it possible we are getting off the point of the letter and sidetracked by Ultra-bob's condescending and insulting comment and the resulting responses.

The point of the original letter was to contradict the obviously over steriotyped statement that "All police and military glory in violence".

The original opinion DIDN'T say the military men were happy to be in Iraq. That's NOT what he was saying. He just said they are NOT all voilence mongers or killers (though some may be).

I think it's possible Liberals like Ultra-Bog, with their condescending and warped view of those in the military, is part of why military men and women tend to vote Repulican so often. It's not that they love violence, it's that they get it, they understand that someone has to stand up and defend, or their children and every child in our nation risks losing their freedom.

• this sort of thing happens
    Aug. 18, 2008 1:09 p.m.

The My Lai Massacre was the mass murder of 347 to 504 unarmed citizens of the Republic of Vietnam (South Vietnam), almost entirely civilians and the majority of them women and children, conducted by U.S. Army forces on March 16, 1968. Some of the victims were sexually abused, beaten, tortured, or maimed, and some of the dead bodies were mutilated.The massacre took place in the hamlets of Mỹ Lai and My Khe of Sơn Mỹ village during the Vietnam War.The My Lai Massacre is a notorious operation of the controversial Phoenix Program.

The incident prompted widespread outrage around the world. The massacre also reduced U.S. support at home for the Vietnam War. Three U.S. servicemen who made an effort to halt the massacre and protect the wounded were sharply critizised by US Congressmen, received hate mail, death threats and mutilated animals on their doorsteps. Only 30 years after the event were their efforts honored.

• more Ulta bob
    Aug. 18, 2008 1:04 p.m.

Huge increases in the price of world oil after the elimination of a rogue competitor.

Oil price rises with every tiny reason.

Polititians fighting over ineffective reasons for lowering oil prices.

• waiting for the day
    Aug. 18, 2008 12:48 p.m.

I'm waiting for the day when soldiers are told the truth as to why they have been ordered to put their lives on the line and perhaps even die.

It's not for any bogus ideology. It's not for our freedoms.

It's always for economic reasons.

But how else can you get the soldier to take that hill? Tell them its to control market share? GNP?

• Ultra Bob
    Aug. 18, 2008 12:35 p.m.

My lifetime experiances tell me that the front line soldier is probably the last person in the world to fully understand why he is there and what he is doing.

That's why you say that "he is not to question why, he is to do or die". And that has been the unifing cry of every despot and evil leader in the history of the world.

I do not doubt that many soldiers feel great with the accomplishments that they are doing in Iraq. The question is why are they doing it in Iraq.

There are needs for them elsewhere in the world every bit as noble as those in Iraq. There are needs in America that could use the soldiers help and give him just as much glory for the doing.

Americans including soldiers are expected to be able to use their minds to see the real world. The events of the last 7 years (not the news reporting) should tell a person the truth. They are:

The election of men who are closely tied to the oil and military industries.

The unpresidented invasion of a soverign nation by United States forces.

The shut down of Iraqi oil.

• Enough,
    Aug. 18, 2008 11:21 a.m.

I'm a veteran of the war Mitt missed. Rush missed it too.

The letter writer is correct. I was amazed at many of the soldiers I served with. Many were well educated and some did serve honorably while they still questioned the military or their role in American hegemony.

Being a veteran, gives me a common ground to talk to soldiers. I was talking to a soldiers who was a ranger and who attended snippier training. He was no RIF.

I asked him about his three tours in Iraq. I was stunned when he told me, in his opinion there was no good reason to be there. This wasn't the screened Limbaugh answer I expected to hear from him.

I'm sure, like Vietnam, there are today's Long Bien commandos. You can't paint the opinion of soldiers about Iraq narrowly ether.

• A thankful citizen
    Aug. 18, 2008 11:15 a.m.

Staff Sgt. Fraughton, thank you for your service. I deeply appreciate what you and your fellow service men and women do to protect America and her freedoms. Please know that many are grateful to you for the sacrifices you make.

• Dave
    Aug. 18, 2008 11:05 a.m.

I have been to both Iraq and Afghanistan. Let me tell you a few things I have seen our Soldiers do. I have seen Soldiers volunteer to go off base (where they may be shot at or blown up) to take humanitarian supplies (school items, clothes, soccer balls, etc) soley to help the people of these war torn countries. Many of the items they deliver are sent by their families back home. Some of the money used to buy these supplies comes from the Soldier's salary. The first time I was in Irag several years ago, I saw town's having elections, because the previous elected official had just been assasinated. There was not a dearth of volunteers. Many of the Iraqis ran for the office, knowing full well that the insurgents would try and kill them next. Next time Bob, talk about something you have studied and do not try to promote bigotry and prejudices by sterotyping individuals.

I have a quote on my wall from Thomas Paine, "If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my my child may know peace." I pray that my children and all Americans may know peace.

• Re: Ultra-Lib Bob
    Aug. 18, 2008 10:31 a.m.

What a popus and insensative statement from Ultra-Lib Bob! He says, "It's hard to believe that our soldiers are so insulated from the world that they cannot see the real reasons for the Iraq war?

How are soldiers in Iraq "Insulated" from the war? And do you REALLY think they are unable to comprehend the REAL reasons for the war?

If there's anyone who's insulated from REAL reasons for the war, it's us back here watching news brokers, talking heads and political partisans commentary on the war.

WE are the ones who are insulated. To many of US the war is nothing more than a political-game to be won or lost for our party partisans.

I think those in the military understand full well the reasons and the consequences of the war. Do you?

• Bear Rug
    Aug. 18, 2008 10:26 a.m.

The fact that the soldiers DO see the reason for their presence in Iraq, is why it is so refreshing to hear from them. Our media tends to forget the infrastructure that our soldiers have been rebuilding. They tend to show only the violence that is a part of our presence.

Our soldiers know why we are there. They are happy to be there to build schools, hospitals, and train employees in the management of infrastructure, passing out food, water and especially treats for the children. Our military physicians continue to give much needed service to the people of Iraq. They have made a huge contribution to the welfare of the Iraqi citizens.

We also are never told, and reminded that the insurgents are not from Iraq. They are from Syria, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Chechnya, Iran, and other Arab states. The Iraqis hate these people because they are trying to destroy the freedom that was gained by the liberation of Iraq, from Sadaam Hussein.

• Mc
    Aug. 18, 2008 10:07 a.m.

Ultra Bob

It's amazing to me that you feel you know better what is happening in Iraq than those who are there in the middle of it. You think that the soldiers there are insulated from the real reasons for the Iraq war? I think you have insulated yourself from knowing the real reasons and wouldn't recognize anything that doesn't come through liberal sources. Our soldiers know what's happening there and they care about it. That's why they are willing to go back and continue to help the Iraqi people gain stability and better conditions. I know that they do not glory in violence and would love to be home living a nice safe life with their families like the rest of us, but they are willing to sacrifice for the good of others. I am proud of them and very grateful.

• Anonymous
    Aug. 18, 2008 9:55 a.m.

Whether or not the soldiers can "see the real reasons for the Iraq war" or not is not part of their job. They are in the military and obey their orders from all superiors including the Commander-in-Chief, without question. Just like any employer would expect their employees to do.

Most of the military men and women joined either before the Iraq War and never expected to be put into an active battlefield or joined after Sept. 11, 2001, to protect America and the freedoms that you enjoy.

DO NOT blame the soldier for war, they are their to protect you and the freedoms that you enjoy. If you want to blame someone, take some of the blame upon yourself, if you voted for the current President of the USA or if you did not vote at all you are responsible. Elections are so very important, even the seemingly trivial Primary Elections, they determine who will speak for you and decide for you what will happen within you city, school district, state, nation, and even internationally.

• Ultra Bob
    Aug. 18, 2008 8:45 a.m.

It is pretty hard to place our military men as people doing a job for America when we mostly hear that the Iraq military is made up of volunters who are ready and willing to repeat their work in Iraq over and over.

It is also very hard to believe that our soldiers are so insulated from the world that they cannot see the real reasons for the Iraq war.