Please stop littering

• Anonymous
    Aug. 18, 2008 6:46 p.m.

There will always be a mountain of litter in Salt Lake City.

It is below the inhabitants to lower themselves and pick up one bit of garbage.

• Fire hazard
    Aug. 18, 2008 4:36 p.m.

Seeing these butts come flying out of a car window at night is especially revealing. A shower of sparks goes flying accross the road.

Sparks like this on a rural road lined by dry weeds is a huge fire waiting to happen. But do smokers care? Evidently not.

My son (a smoker) explained it to me this way... Do you really expect someone who cares so little about themself that they would take up smoking (which they know will kill them), to care about the environment or about others?

• Frank
    Aug. 18, 2008 1:35 p.m.

For a world where motorcycles are becoming more common this is a big saftey issue too. Thrown cigarettes explode in an updraft of hot ash that attacks the eyes, face, and neck. With a full helmet you only get a weak sting on the neck but if your visor is up all you can do is try not to die.

• trash pickup party
    Aug. 18, 2008 12:58 p.m.

Where I live the townspeople come together twice a year to pick the trash the litter-pigs strew about.
    It's one of the nicest community events we have. Nobody cares what ward you belong to, nobody thinks its below them to pick up the litter and there is great party afterwards.
    It's wonderful.

PS- No, we don't live in Utah anymore. We live in wonderfully liberal California.

• Alternate
    Aug. 18, 2008 9:22 a.m.

Even in winter you see smokers with the window partially rolled down so they can flip the butts out. I guess they don't want to dirty the ash try in their car. I agree that this is littering and littering laws should be enforced.

• uncannygunman
    Aug. 18, 2008 8:02 a.m.

This is why ashtrays should be standard equipment in all vehicles. Non-smokers can use them as coin-holders or whatever.

Also, if you don't like the look of cigarette butts lying around, pick them up and throw them out! It won't hurt you. I've picked up a lot of other people's cigarette butts in my day and there is no sign of finger cancer yet.

• Kevin
    Aug. 18, 2008 7:49 a.m.

No kidding. I'd love to jump out of the car, run up to the smoker-litterer in front of me, and through his butt back in the car. That would be dangerous, I reckon.