A job or a visible tattoo?

• Gopherus
    Aug. 18, 2008 7:04 p.m.

Dave,
    Are you going to support those who chose not to pay taxes to Bountiful because they do not support this policy? After all, you have the option of not doing business with a company that employs people with tattoos and piercings, shouldn't the taxpayers of Bountiful have similar options?

• RE : Dave
    Aug. 18, 2008 5:25 p.m.

They lose nothing.

Do you really think there are no tattoo-ed city employees that are not irreplacible?

Do you really think the people of Bountiful are going stop using city services because the Bountiful employees don't have a visible tattoo?

People on this board think and say some the silliest things sometimes.

All businesses including city businesses have to be concerned about the image they put forth to their customers or perspective customers.

The first thing someone sees is your appearance.

And rightly or wrongly will make first judgements about you based on that.

Everyone does this.

• So
    Aug. 18, 2008 4:57 p.m.

KVC made a good point. Furthermore, we judge to protect and guide us. We all judge. That is why we stereotype. My chances of being mugged if I avoid individuals who would appear to be muggers are diminished. Sometimes I will be wrong but I would rather be wrong than be maimed or dead. Sometimes I will be mugged regardless. I try to minimize that risk. I also try to minimize my risk to Hep C and avoid tatts. Each of us will choose some risk and avoid others. We reap the consequences of our actions.

• Skulls & wire = Love
    Aug. 18, 2008 4:40 p.m.

We just need a positive rollmodel for tattoos.

If we could get someone with a clean history, that does a lot of significant work, charity, and is associated with upright morals, who is active in the world today, and have them tattoo 25% of their body or put a nice big one on their neck to face, we could improve the image of tattoos worldwide!

However he/she cant be associated with any groups that involve beating or hitting other people.

• Charles
    Aug. 18, 2008 4:29 p.m.

KVC....please stop with the insanity. You are not allowed to judge anyone for anything at anytime. You are to love them, welcome them, hug them, open your home and feed them, give them a ride to and from work, etc. etc.

Judging anyone has been outlawed by the open-minded, intellectually superior of the land.

Really, please stop with the insanity....or you will be judged for your remarks by those who don't want judging to happen for anything....

• Chris Plummer
    Aug. 18, 2008 4:07 p.m.

KVC, you have a good point, and I agree with you. But we aren't talking about dress here, we are talking about visible Tattoos. And of course there is a sliding scale here. But we are talking about working for bountiful. If my city worker has not visible tattoos, I'm not sure if I can trust em to fix the city.

• Sar Casam
    Aug. 18, 2008 3:43 p.m.

I know. Its not like a majority of the people you see in prisons have visible tattoos. Why would we associate bad choices with people who have decided on visible ink markings? If the media didnt portray prisoners in such a way maybe it could help the public tattoo "image".

We should petition tv shows to show clean cut, white shirt and tie wearing people working out in jail, and use photoshop to edit out tattoos on criminals when they show on tv, like that man with tattoos on his face that shot a cop and then tried to decapitate a man in a restuarant. Its those few rough and tumble guys that give the sensitive tattoo wearers a bad name.

• KVC
    Aug. 18, 2008 3:40 p.m.

Most of you do not seem to get the point. Why does someone dress like a punk and complain because they are treated like one? it is the same as dressing like a thug. You want people to think you are a bad gangster when it suits you but complain when they get that same impression and treat you like one in other situations. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
    If I had shown up for my medical school interview in shorts and a T-shirt I would never have been admitted, and rightfully so. It is common sense to be neat, clean and professional when going to work. There is a reason people actually do wear suits and dresses, because appearance matters.
    Would Obama have won the Democratic primary if he went on the campaign trail dressed like your typical rapper? Would he have gotten more than a handful of votes? Of course not, even though he might be the same exact person inside.
    Just curious, how many would want their daughter's teacher to dress like a Hooter's girl everyday and encourage your daughter to dress the same way?

• Hatuletoh
    Aug. 18, 2008 3:26 p.m.

Wow, I thought worrying about insidious "gay agenda" was of time, but I was wrong, very wrong. Mr. West has shown me what it truly means to fritter away time and energy worrying about the lifestyle choices of others. Thank you, Mr. West, for being such a fussy little man that it's actually forced a paradigmatic mental shift in my mind.

• Chris Plummer
    Aug. 18, 2008 2:24 p.m.

Too bad everyone is so hung up on judging people by their outward appearance.

• Question..
    Aug. 18, 2008 2:11 p.m.

Will the same rules apply to women who have their make up tatooed on? It's ink that's showing, or willthey have to wear a Burkah to work in Bountiful.

I would have expected this from Utah county. I thought Davis county was a bit more open minded.

• wrz
    Aug. 18, 2008 2:08 p.m.

Mahonri | 10:52 a.m.:

"Now get rid of those sickening jewelry pieces in the nose, tongue, lips and the odd row of metal hanging on the ears. Go to an eatery and see one of those types and the appetite goes away fast."

You should see what happens to the appetite when you go into an eatery and see jewelry pieces in weird places.

• lost in DC
    Aug. 18, 2008 12:05 p.m.

You're right, Steve H. I know a kid who looks kind of scary because his hair, piercings, and tattoos appear bizzare to your average Joe Blow, but he's really not that scary at all.

• Hey Jud
    Aug. 18, 2008 11:39 a.m.

There should be, but there's not.

• :-)
    Aug. 18, 2008 11:28 a.m.

If I'm having a heart attack, I will die rather than let a talented doctor with a tattoo save me. :-)

This is great. Let this be a learning moment. To, too many appearance means more than your character or your skills.

Don't whine to me when a person wearing a suit and tie who telling you want you like to hear defrauds you.

• Jeffrey
    Aug. 18, 2008 11:16 a.m.

Based on the reasoning of this letter's author, I think the Deseret News should change the title of the Reader's Forum.

I suggest "Cognitive Dissonance."

• agnostic
    Aug. 18, 2008 11:02 a.m.

Scared!

• Mahonri
    Aug. 18, 2008 10:52 a.m.

• Wake Up
    Aug. 18, 2008 10:49 a.m.

I interview and hire a lot of people. First impressions matter. I also believe in personal expression and that people should be who they want to be.
    That being said why is it that people come in for an interview looking like crap? A lot of kids come in dressed poorly, looking unkept and want a job in a professional organization.
    My favorite is a young lady that had a tongue stud. She was interviewing for a customer service position.....in which she would spend the majority of her time TALKING to customers. The stud she had in her mouth was so large that it affected her speach. It was hard to understand what she was saying. Now it was her right to have the stud, but in doing so she destroyed her own interview and any chance to get the job.
    The bottom line is that I dont really care about what people do to themselves as long as they look professional. My customers expect my employees to look like they know what they are doing.

• Skulls & Wire = Love
    Aug. 18, 2008 10:21 a.m.

Nothing says hug me like a big ol' face tattoo!

• Jud
    Aug. 18, 2008 10:11 a.m.

As a Btfl resident, I sure don't want to see a city cop with a tattoo on his bare scalp. There should be a difference between a motorcycle thug and the police.

• agnostic
    Aug. 18, 2008 9:48 a.m.

Equating tattoos to robbery is a very poor argument.
    It is funny how tattoos and piercing scare people. I guess the author is scared.

• Mc
    Aug. 18, 2008 9:44 a.m.

Many employers have a dress code and standards that would prohibit visible tatoos and piercings, swhich really aren't professional looking. You wouldn't see a lawyer in court wearing flip flops and beach attire, either. There is nothing wrong with the city of Bountiful having standards for their employees. If you don't like it, don't apply there.

• Why?
    Aug. 18, 2008 9:31 a.m.

This policy is quite stooopid, but then fashion is the based on stupidity. From the pants below the butt trend to powdered whigs to the suit and tie (yes, even the fashion YOU conform to is stupid), ALL fashion is pointless and pathetic. Clothes should be about function.
    That said, why would you pay someone hundreds of dollars to draw a permanent picture on your skin that you wouldnt put up on your wall? It cant be to show your individuality, because everyone has one.

• Aim low.
    Aug. 18, 2008 9:01 a.m.

If your goal in life is to work for the city of Bountiful, you've aimed low and should hit the target.

• Ummmmm...
    Aug. 18, 2008 9:00 a.m.

How do you KNOW they are wearing jewelry in weird places???

• Roscoe
    Aug. 18, 2008 8:34 a.m.

Your analogy is false. You are comparing working for a city and having tattoos, neither of which are criminal acts - to being a bank robber, which is a criminal act.

If you are so shallow that you will not patronize a business because an employee might have a lip ring or stud in their nose, and yes it is your right to do that, why draw the line there. Maybe you shouldn't patronize businesses with obese or homely employees? I'll bet you don't like short, red-haired people either, do you?

• Robert
    Aug. 18, 2008 8:31 a.m.

Recently, the U.S. Marine Corps adopted a policy regarding tattoos that is similar to Bountiful City's new policy.

• uncannygunman
    Aug. 18, 2008 8:13 a.m.

I do not think "right to work" means what you think it means.

• Dave
    Aug. 18, 2008 8:05 a.m.

While I can understand where Bountiful is comming from, they lose on this one.

• PJ
    Aug. 18, 2008 8:00 a.m.

"I personally do not support businesses that allow their employees to wear jewelry in weird places..."

I couldn't agree more. I think everyone should take their jewelry off when entering weird places.

• Steve H.
    Aug. 18, 2008 7:57 a.m.

"Lost in DC" is right. We are not able to choose the consequences of our choices. If we choose to shallowly shun people who have tattoos or piercings, then we cannot control the results of such poor judgment.

• Obese Standard
    Aug. 18, 2008 7:48 a.m.

I wonder if the City of Bountiful is going to do something about the obese people working for the city? Obeseity is not professional & unlike a tattoo, it actually impedes a worker from reaching their potential.

• lost in DC
    Aug. 18, 2008 7:11 a.m.

there are choices all around. We are free to make those choices, we are not free to decide the consequences of those choices.

• It is your choice
    Aug. 18, 2008 4:02 a.m.

And you choose not to befriend and associate with a host of wonderful people. Your loss dude.

• Anonymous
    Aug. 18, 2008 3:36 a.m.

People have jewelry and tattoo's in some awfully weird places. Are you going to be the one to check them all?

I have a child who has tattoo's and gauged ears. It is an appearance and lifestyle choice on his part. Yet I know many "clean cut" young men his age that I wouldn't trust. Despite their appearance their morals and values are dishonest and evil. I always thought actions truly defined a person's character but I guess it is really only how we look on the outside.

Is it any wonder why plastic surgeons in Utah have such thriving practices?