Real Salt Lake: Olave's hard-nosed play belies his gentle nature

RSL defender from Colombia says S.L. is 'my type of place'

• skrymsli
    Aug. 18, 2008 10:46 p.m.

Olave for MVP, President, coach and whatever else you want to throw in there. Highlight of the season:

Watching Chris Rolfe bounce off of him while Olave shielded the ball out of bounds at Chicago.

• JVC-RSL
    Aug. 18, 2008 10:34 a.m.

It's too bad he had to miss the Houston game. I think we would have won, and made a big statement if he had been in the line up. At least two of the yellow cards he received this year were pretty soft, but what can you do? As long as we have him for the playoffs, I think we will be in good shape.

• oussan
    Aug. 15, 2008 5:37 p.m.

Thanks for the interview, Michael Black. Olave has been brilliant this year. He'll be missed this weekend for sure!

• T-ravis
    Aug. 15, 2008 4:14 p.m.

PLEASE KEEP OLAVE!!! I was really worried about the RSL defense when Pope left. He was the anchor. Everyone else sucked, and if it weren't for Pope we would have been in alot worse shape. But to me Olave has stepped up to fill that void. He's big, He's strong, He's quick, just like Pope. Olave and Borchers have been great signings for the club. They are doing a great job and keeping the pressure off Rimando. Keep Olave at all cost!

• Utah loves Olave
    Aug. 15, 2008 4:11 p.m.

Keep Olave in the SLC. Pay up MLS and RSL, the millions going around for the likes of Beckham, Blanco and Angel, there has to be plenty of change for RSL. And for a stand up guy like Olave. Why wasn't he at "Meet the Team"? Good thing, otherwise my man-crush would have been exposed.

• Defense wins
    Aug. 15, 2008 2:59 p.m.

I'd be willing to sell Kreis and Mathis to enable us to buy Olave...

• Argenine Forward...
    Aug. 15, 2008 2:41 p.m.

...that deal fell through.

Mathis is all that is going to happen this week.

Olave is great...and won't last in MLS another year. Enjoy him while he's here, and then he is off to Europe. (Spain)

• RSLfans.com
    Aug. 15, 2008 12:00 p.m.

Yeah, RSL definitely needs to step up and buy Olave. He is the type of building block that could make out defense a presence for a long time. He and Nat Borchers form the best central defensive duo in the league. If RSL can keep the defensive nucleus and then build around Morales and Beckerman in the midfield, the future is very bright.

Message to the RSL FO: Fans like winning. Keep it up and please don't let us down by letting players like Olave get away.

On another side note, have we heard anything about RSL being able to sign a striker during the transfer period? I heard rumors about another Argentine forward but nothing has happened yet. Lagerwey all but promised that they would acquire attacking help and I will be disappointed if they can't get it done.

• elrey
    Aug. 15, 2008 11:52 a.m.

oh yeah one more thing i love the fact that some of our players like here

• elrey
    Aug. 15, 2008 11:54 a.m.

i want to believe that it will be up to his team in Colombian and the MLS. because if I was Garth and Kries i would be doing all i can to keep him here.

• Enrique
    Aug. 15, 2008 11:29 a.m.

Love Jamison! I think you could make the argument that's he's the MVP of the team (along with Nat) because their defensive presence has kept RSL in so many games and allowed others to take chances. I too hope RSL does everything they can to keep Big O.

• RSL Fan
    Aug. 15, 2008 10:37 a.m.

Olave has been rock solid in the back four. Amazing player. I hope we find a way to keep him here - Glad he likes UT too... Too bad he won't be playing against Houston, thats a game we really need him in. Anyway - good article. Wish there were more support for RSL like this in the media.

• No way
    Aug. 15, 2008 10:11 a.m.

No way. RSL doesn't need Olave, they need a real defender. Just kidding. If I was megarich, I would buy Olave for myself and rent him to RSL. That would ge awesome!

• The Corinthian
    Aug. 15, 2008 9:01 a.m.

I think RSL needs to do whatever possible to keep Olave. He has impressed and he has helped solidify the back line. I love his energy and effort and he's young enough to be an anchor on the defense for years to come. I believe his play is one of the big reasons for RSL's improved form. Best wishes Jamison!