Woman hit by TRAX train

• Dave's right
    Aug. 14, 2008 5:57 p.m.

Dave, how right you are. A lawsuit is imminent. The train conductor should sue her for the stress and trauma she caused him as there was nothing that he could do to avoid the accident.

• RL
    Aug. 14, 2008 3:35 p.m.

Come on, people. Don't be so hard on this woman. She is 7 months pregnant for crying out loud. Being that far along myself, and majorly sleep deprived, I can see myself doing something that stupid, when in fact, I'm normally a fairly with it sort of person. Flip, I'm sure I've got some typos in here... I'm telling you pregnancy is brutal on the brain. Thank goodness she's (and her baby) okay!!!

• Barbara
    Aug. 14, 2008 2:03 p.m.

Unless you wear strings, yarn, rope or thongs on your feet, it is impossible to tie your shoe. Your reporter should think about accuracy in the details.
    Have a nice day!

• Dave
    Aug. 14, 2008 12:54 p.m.

I'll feel bad for her and her thoughtless mistake for a while. Until the lawsuit comes, which you know will happen.

• J.
    Aug. 14, 2008 12:16 p.m.

Do you think she was listening to "Don't fear the Reaper" by the Blue Oyster Cult? What about the emotional damage to the train. It may be a therepy for several days.

• Anonymous
    Aug. 14, 2008 12:09 p.m.

Gee, I guess none of you have ever made a mistake, huh? You act like she did this on purpose but sounds like she wasn't even aware that her head was over the line & was distracted by what she was listening to on her headphones as she tied her shoe.

• True Headline
    Aug. 14, 2008 11:56 a.m.

Response to "False Headline":

Actually, whatever object is moving is the one performing the action. The woman was standing still. Since we almost always consider the "stopped" frame to be that of earth's, relativity can't come into play either. The fact is: UTA TRAX hit the woman. Deseret News did a fine job at portraying this.

Poor woman, that has got to HURT! I am surprised she didn't have time to see the train from her peripheral vision either... weird... most people, when looking straight down, can see large objects coming at them from the sides...

• Erin
    Aug. 14, 2008 11:49 a.m.

True. A train operator can't exactly be accused of reckless driving when all they do is go in a straight line. People need to use their common sense and keep themselves safe.

Having said that, I feel a bit bad for the woman. She's not the only one of us to ever make a dumb, thoughtless mistake. Good thing she didn't get hurt.

• Anonymous
    Aug. 14, 2008 11:31 a.m.

I sure hope this woman and her baby are ok, but let's face the facts: 1. There is a YELLOW CAUTION LINE PAINTED at each Trax Station for a REASON! Do Not Cross It, (and you have to pass it by more than half way to be intrusive to the train! 2. Wearing an I-pod has a place and a time where you need to use your OTHER SENSES to be SAFE! 3. You can't be hit by the train unless IT LEAVES THE TRACK! If you interfere with the path of the train, YOU HIT IT! There are solid yellow lines, warning signs, and gates all along the line to Warn People and Vehicles about the TRAX TRAIN! YELLOW = Caution!!!

• Guaglione
    Aug. 14, 2008 11:30 a.m.

Something's fishy here... I've never seen a 7-month pregnant woman able to bend down and tie her shoes.

• Ripvanryan
    Aug. 14, 2008 11:07 a.m.

That doesn't sound like a "hit" to me. Sounds more like a "love tap".

• CougarKeith
    Aug. 14, 2008 10:57 a.m.

That could have been my pregnant wife. However there are some differences, 1. My wife would sit on a bench to tie her shoe or STEP BACK OUT OF THE YELLOW CAUTION ZONE before doing so. 2. My wife would would have looked down the track before leaning down to tie her shoe if she was stupid enough to do it in the YELLOW CAUTION ZONE. 3. My wife although she dyes her hair blond has a BRAIN in her head!

Why does the title say, "Woman Hit By Trax Train"? Clearly she WAS THE ONE IN THE WAY OF THE TRAIN! "False Headline" Is Right! These TRAX trains run on a NON-Altering Track, The Track NEVER MOVES!!! How can the Train Hit these people and vehicles? I can see the Police Report for this one. WOMAN: "I leaned over to tie my shoes with my I-pod on and suddenly a TRAX train jumped the track and attacked me hitting me without warning! It is the same with "TRAX Train Hits Car", How is this possible? The Car Interfered with the TRAX Train by crossing a solid Yellow Line, or ignoring a sign. The TRAX TRAINS ARE INNOCENT!

• Why go all the way to Ecuador?
    Aug. 14, 2008 10:56 a.m.

Darwin raises his ugly head again.

• Whoa Nellie
    Aug. 14, 2008 10:52 a.m.

I feel sorry for this girl's unborn baby. Poor thing won't have much of a chance in life being raised by a moron.

• Bummer!
    Aug. 14, 2008 10:22 a.m.

She probably shouldn't have been standing so close to the train track.....

• Cartman
    Aug. 14, 2008 9:48 a.m.

What is the status of the headphones? I hope they are not damaged. Concerned reader.

• Willbur
    Aug. 14, 2008 9:51 a.m.

Despite all the warnings and what would dictate common sense, some people will never learn.

• False Headline
    Aug. 14, 2008 9:47 a.m.

Come on, this is just like the Trib's article.

The woman was not hit by the train, the train was hit by the woman.

Time for the media to quit changing the facts.....she was the one in the wrong, she hit the train. Just like 99.9% of the TRAX/Car accidents....the car is at fault, yet it's always "Car hit by train".