Uninsured children not getting vital health care

• Freedom to. . .
    Aug. 14, 2008 8:48 p.m.

I wrote the above response to Preventative Consumership who wanted us to vote for Obama. In case you are wondering whether I'm an irresponsible parent, etc. I'll tell you.

I'm a mom/educator and have a master's degree in education, I have two beautiful, thin teen daughters who don't drink pop, and love their veggies and whole grains. My daughters have all their immunizations, exercise, and have tons of yearly checkups even when we couldn't afford health insurance. They have no cavities because of early fluoride intervention and 6 month dental checks. I myself have worked hard to overcome a difficult childhood, and volunteer to help others. I don't want someone to decide that we all have to be out of the same cookie cutter mold; we can make good choices even without the help of big government.

• To 9:37
    Aug. 14, 2008 11:03 a.m.

Not sure what preventative Consumership meant, but I would guess your obese, plagued with chronic disease and can't wait to get the biggie size #4 at Micky D's.
    Its your mentality and everyone like you why we are the fattest, most unhealthy society in the 1st world.

• sob
    Aug. 14, 2008 11:01 a.m.

to re preventive: yes you have the right to anything
    and so does everybody else. but you also have a responsibility, to those other then yourself. if you choose to let kids become and stay sick because you choose not to participate in the common good, then when your kids become sick because their class mates dont have preventive medicine check ups, you pay too.
    or you can watch as others sink further and further behind and spend your money at mcdonalds, or on too much food and drink or whatever floats your boat, then
    at some point you may have to account for your neglect.

• Re:Preventative consumership
    Aug. 14, 2008 9:37 a.m.

Please don't give me your kind of help.

Rather than trying to give me "freedom from_________" (fill in the blank with whatever you like such as "disease", "obesity", "poverty", "poor choices "etc.)

Please give me the right to have "freedom to___________"

(fill in the blank with whatever you like,such as "make my own choices", "be what I want to be" etc.)

Europe, and much of the world, has been living under the "freedom from____" mentality. The USA was set up to offer "freedom to do or be _______".

I may not make the choices you would like, but then again, it isn't your life is it? It's mine, and I plan to keep it that way.

Remember, a government that has the power to give you everything, has the power to take everything from you.

• Dave
    Aug. 14, 2008 8:11 a.m.

Never having health insurance I used to take my young children to the doctor for regular checkups. I realized they always seemed to get sick after a visit. The where catching illnesses from the other children. I stopped taking them and they lived healthy lives and I saved a lot of money. Two sides to every story.

• Preventative consumership
    Aug. 14, 2008 7:25 a.m.

Vote Obama and the insurance for all kids is taken care of.
    Completely abolish the way we think about health care and preventative health and take we take care of the explosive "chronic health" issues that are plaguing almost half of children.
    That means tough food guidelines and what we eat as consumers. Carbohydrates, high fructose corn syrup, modified corn starch, mass amounts of sugars, etc. etc. etc. etc. should all be limited in food supply and or parents having to go through a education course before they have children, but then so would the doctors since they perpetuate this epidemic.

• sob
    Aug. 14, 2008 7:16 a.m.

these being the programs that our beloved president has been trying to do away with for 4 years

• USA Republican
    Aug. 14, 2008 6:33 a.m.

Desnews Your focus is on the well being of young children.

Aren't you forgetting the well being of the rich who pay most of the taxes?

Since Government can't do everything, it ought to focus on the well being of the very rich.