Toilet-paper prank puts Orem boy in hospital with severe burns

• RE: Roscoe and no prank
    Aug. 15, 2008 10:58 a.m.

Do you really think an 8-11 year old boy would light his friend on fire?! If you read the story the boy voluntarily wanted to be wrapped up and they didn't directly light him on fire. It was an accident! Unfortunately a serious one. Let the parents punish the kids and the state punish the parents. I'm sure the victims friends are scared to death and would never do that again. no prank, I have never heard of an 8 year old going to juvenile hall. That's ridiculous.

• 0802
    Aug. 13, 2008 7:22 p.m.

RE: Katie 3:07 p.m.

I live in a subdivision in California as well and I see kids playing unattended all the time. I have also lived in Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Washington State and Oklahoma. Interestingly enough, I have often seen kids playing unattended in these states too.

I don't think it has anything to do with being in "Zion". Sounds like you have the all to common chip on your shoulder toward Utah.

• Katie
    Aug. 13, 2008 3:07 p.m.

I live in a subdivision in CA with young kids and I don't see them roaming the streets unattended. I don't see it other places either. Just Utah, I guess they think since they're in Zion nothing bad can happen to their kids.

• Roscoe
    Aug. 13, 2008 11:29 a.m.

It became intentional when the paper was lit on fire.

• Georgia
    Aug. 13, 2008 11:26 a.m.

It's not just this neighborhood. No one watches their kids anymore. They run around like wild injuns - it's no wonder that they are getting run over by cars, falling out of windows, lit on fire, etc. The only exception is poor Bridger, who didn't do anything to deserve being blown up by a pipe bomb. What about that 3-year-old that was run over the other day. They said on the news that she didn't live on that street. A 3-year-old in the road with no parent around?

• G
    Aug. 13, 2008 9:38 a.m.

What's going on in this neighborhood?

• no prank
    Aug. 13, 2008 9:35 a.m.

Ever heard of juvenile hall? This would send a strong message to other kids that serious punishment results from really bad choices. This was a human being that was torched. Do you honestly think restraining a kid and then starting a fire is normal behavior? There needs to be serious mental evaluations done. Many sociopaths showed signs of distrubing behavior in childhood. I don't think all need to be charged, just the one that lit the fire.

• Re: no prank
    Aug. 13, 2008 8:45 a.m.

Uh, these kids are all 11 years old or less. Do you really think they should be charged as criminals?

This boneheaded behavior is typical of boys their age. One could certainly argue that they should have better parental supervision. And speaking of the parents, there probably is some civil liability for the parents of the kid who started the fire.

But charge them as criminals? What kind of puritainical sadist are you?

• no prank
    Aug. 13, 2008 12:45 a.m.

Please stop characterizing this as a prank. It is far more serious than that. A young boy will be scarred for life and his brother emotionally scarred since he witnessed it. Another site reported the brother was the one trying to stomp the fire out when his shoe caught fire and then flung embers that started his brother on fire. charges should be filed against the kids who light the fire.