BYU Football: Bright puts some light into Cougars

• Knucklehead in Pa.
    June 23, 2009 9:01 p.m.

Buckethead, semper fi. Nate is a mountain man, or is that mountain of a man? He's one you will hear from in a good way.

Much as I hate to agree with a Utah graduate, you hit the nail on the head.

• byupa
    Oct. 31, 2008 1:00 p.m.

nate hartung weighed in at 335 this week! He's really shown some excellent progress. BYU has made a great decision bringing him into the bringing him into the program

• Buckethead in Pa.
    Sept. 25, 2008 11:01 a.m.

I have known Nate Hartung's family for years and have seen him develop as a great all-around athlete as well as a fine young man. I know he has worked his tail off to get to where he is just like Travis has. I know all the schools that dropped their offers to him when he told them he was going on a mission are now wishing they had reconsidered their decision. Just goes to show you how good these young men come back as Returned Missionaries; more focused, more dedicated, more in-tuned with their life goals, which benefits everyone they associate themselves with including football programs and how short sighted some football programs are. Many universities are learning from their 'mistakes' when it comes to offering LDS kids like Nate Hartung an athletic scholarship even though they know they will leave for a 2 year mission. BYU and many other intermountain schools know the benefits from these offers and continue to be better for their 2 year 'sacrifice' to the football program. I am a University of Utah graduate, but enjoy seeing our Returned Missionaries continue to succeed after their 2 year missions are over no matter the school!!!

• Karen Gubb
    Aug. 19, 2008 2:26 p.m.

Hi from New Zealand. We met Nate Hartung while he was serving in our Ward in Ngaruawahia and as my husband Brian is the Ward Mission Leader we were able to spend good quality time with Elder Hartung. What a great guy and excellent missionary! He is going to do great things in his life. Good luck Nate! We know you will do well.

• 724 Football
    Aug. 14, 2008 9:55 a.m.

Nate Hartung will be a solid rock in the BYU trenches...I think he would make an even better nose guard than O-lineman.
    Regardless, this is a guy that could play anywhere in the country (including the likes of Ohio State and co.).
    But, more importantly, he is a QUALITY person.

• Go get 'em Travis!
    Aug. 11, 2008 10:23 p.m.

I've been lucky to get to know Travis while serving in our ward. He is an excellent person, who has his head on straight. It would be a lot of fun to be his team-mate on the field.

• Re: Classless
    Aug. 11, 2008 1:29 p.m.

Just ignore the ankle biting Utah fans. Some of them are so desperate to find SOMETHING to criticize that they will latch on to ANYTHING, even a harmless throat-slashing gesture telling a team mate to cut the chatter.

• Dr J
    Aug. 10, 2008 3:17 p.m.

Nate's about 6'3",a good height for a center. He's a great kid who was recruited by some nice schools (Miami, Syracuse, Penn St., Notre Dame), who all passed when he told them he was going on a mission...to BYU's benefit. His work ethic is wonderful, an inherited familial trait. I can't wait to see how his career plays out.

• Re: Class ACT
    Aug. 10, 2008 12:26 a.m.

Really? Is that all you take away from this article?

Go back to your Ute boards, please, so we don't have to sift through your dreck on here.

Nobody said these people are perfect...how are the boys up north doing?

• He is class!
    Aug. 9, 2008 9:28 p.m.

Throat slashing like a producer when he yells "cut" not like a UTE Thug meaning "I will slice your throat"!! Get your mind out of the gutter and learn some class! Oh yeah, they don't teach that up north!

GO COUGS!!!!

PS: Way to go Travis, it was a pleasure serving with you! (Bean Towner) McKenna

• How would you know Class?
    Aug. 9, 2008 8:34 p.m.

Go Utes, and take the Weber Wildcats with you.

• Class Act?
    Aug. 9, 2008 8:29 p.m.

Yeah, lets depend on the Utes to keep the LDS church image up.

• Las Vegas Katbacker
    Aug. 9, 2008 7:57 p.m.

I'll join in. I work in Vegas where the humidity here with the heat is currently worse than anything in Iowa. Give you props, cuz no one is building a house in Vegas right now.

BTW, it is humid in Provo now.

• Class ACT
    Aug. 9, 2008 7:26 p.m.

Nice, throat slashing motion, what a class act. Way to go BYU, keep up the good image for our Church's youth!!

GO UTES!!

• Pittsburgh, PA
    Aug. 9, 2008 7:21 p.m.

Watched Nate play high school football - big guy - but is he ever fast on his feet. He is around 6' 5". Happy to hear he is playing for BYU. He is also fun to watch on the basketball court. Nate is an all around good guy.

• Justin
    Aug. 9, 2008 4:11 p.m.

Travis Bright is my favorite lineman!

• Bracken
    Aug. 9, 2008 12:18 p.m.

I had the privilige of being Hartung's mission companion in New Zealand. This guy is not only a beast, tossing kettlebells (cannon balls with a handle) like most people toss pillows, but an all-around great man. He has slimmed down quite a bit since high school, but he still broke every bike he had to ride. He has great instincts for the field; and Bright is right, Hartung can break his bench records and would be a safe bet to play some this year.
    Oh, and Hartung, if you're reading this, Pavel sends his love.

• metamoracoug
    Aug. 9, 2008 12:14 p.m.

Serious? Humid in Provo? I've been outside, building a house the last two weeks in Iowa. You wanna know humid, come join me.

Go Cougs!

• Mitchell
    Aug. 9, 2008 12:04 p.m.

Way to rep D-town!

• Inquiring minds
    Aug. 9, 2008 11:41 a.m.

How is todays scrimmage looking?

• Y Grad, Y Dad
    Aug. 9, 2008 10:31 a.m.

That is the kinda guy I would want in the trenches if I were handling the ball. Or in the trenches next to him.

• Midwest Cougar
    Aug. 9, 2008 10:34 a.m.

Nice story Dick. I don't need any more reasons to be a Cougar fan, but if I did, this would be a good one. Quality kids, quality atmosphere and they may even win some games, but win:loss doesn't change the personal values.

• Me
    Aug. 9, 2008 9:16 a.m.

It's humid in Provo?

• Ck Carr
    Aug. 9, 2008 9:11 a.m.

We are excited for the Cougs this season and you are one of the prime reasons. What an inspiration! And it is exciting to hear about a newly returned missionary from Aeo Te Aroha (Kiwiland) Go for it!

• Gretzky
    Aug. 9, 2008 8:59 a.m.

what a Bright spot in the sporting news!!! keep these articles coming please...we love them.

• SJ Bobkins
    Aug. 9, 2008 5:06 a.m.

I hope Travis wants to coach. I see a fantastic grad assistant/offensive line coach in his future. Just so I get some perspective Dick, who tall is the 377 pound RM?
    Tell me at least 6'8".