Parents 'friend' kids on the Web

• Technology Mom
    Aug. 6, 2008 11:23 p.m.

I have 7 children, 5 of which are adults and I use e-mail, texting and other technology not to check up on them but to send short messages of love and support. I love how they include me in their electronic world too. I also love how I can communicate with family instantly instead of snail mail letters and I can e-mail a son in Australia, a niece in Botswana, a sister in Canada and a friend in London all in a matter of seconds without leaving my home. Any form of communication can be used in a bad way and I feel our family is much more closely connected because of Facebook, e-mails and texting. It has strengthened our family, not weakened it. My kids love that I can text almost as fast as they can.

• Anonymous
    Aug. 6, 2008 10:48 p.m.

"Old people" - parents, aunts, uncles, etc. - have ruined Facebook.

• Heather
    Aug. 6, 2008 2:44 p.m.

Both my parents have Facebook pages now, and i love it. We all share pictures of family trips and they get to talk and catch up with old friends. Its funny that many people in the younger generation (i am 21) think its weird that parents are joining facebook, but i think its not only fun but also very smart that more and more parents are keeping an eye on their kids- i wish this would have happened sooner with Myspace and many of the terrible that things that happened, simply because parents werent taking the time to keep an eye on their kids.

• AS
    Aug. 6, 2008 2:16 p.m.

My husbands 98 year old grandmother has an account on facebook. We are both "friends" with her. We absolutely love that she has learned how to use this social networking site. We also love keeping in touch with friends and family that are out of state or that we do not see very often. It's been a very nice way to keep in touch with people. Now when my babies are old enough for this, I might feel differently....:)

• To Bob G @ 4:52am
    Aug. 6, 2008 12:57 p.m.

Having a facebook or e-mailing has nothing to do with being "a disfunctional family" as you stated. My teenager invited me to be her friend on facebook. I had my own facebook page ofr more then a year as a way to stay in touch with my own friends who live far away. When kids go to college it's a great way to stay in touch. Even though we do still talk by phone.. So it has nothing to with not being able to communicate with your kids or being disfunctional.

• En Hedu'Anna
    Aug. 6, 2008 10:33 a.m.

I really enjoying keeping in touch with my nieces and nephews on MySpace. They live all over the country and the pictures, bulletins and blog thoughts add a dimension that doesn't occur in emails. They also keep in touch with each other which I think is a great bonus. Much better than the smattering of letters I exchanged with cousins when we were young.

Speaking of cousins, many of them are on MySpace, as well as a lot of friends. I grew up with my dad in the Air Force so my school chums are widely scattered. This has been a fun way to find out what everyone is up to with the convenience of being able to "drop in."

I think the social sites are a fun way to communicate.

I've heard the advice to not put up things you'd be embarassed about, but as in life, I think that mostly applies to the people who would get drunk at the company party.

• achhick47
    Aug. 6, 2008 8:32 a.m.

My adult children and grandchildren are scattered across the United States.I have a myspace account and post news and pictures for them and friends from years of living in many places. They also post pictures of my grandchildren and greatgrandchildren for me. It is nice to be able to see in nearly real time how all are doing. We are on alimited bufget and can not travel to see them so this keeps them in touch and in view. I love the electronic forms of communication for this. I also look forward to when anyone can come home so I can hug them ,but until them I can get pictures of them and let them know how proud of them I am.

• Gramma
    Aug. 6, 2008 7:33 a.m.

I found that one of my grandkids had posted a facebook page for me when my husband and I were in Hawaii on a mission. I didn't care much at first until I realized that I could communicate with the students in the ward my spouse and I were mentors to in Hawaii. Now as the kids graduate and go back to their home countries, I can keep in touch with them and their lives. It is not invasive. And just a friendly "Good morning" or cupcake, or whatever, lets the other person know that you are thinking of them. And they will remember me as the Gramma on SpaceBook. I'm 'cool' in their book! :)

• Bob G
    Aug. 6, 2008 4:52 a.m.

What happened to the family that they have to use an impersonal means to communicate? It's saddening to see how disconnected families have become that they have to use phones and emails to talk to each other. This takes away from the private and personal moments of parents and the children. As parents though, they are required to know what their children are doing and participating in at all times. Children are not afforded the luxury of full privacy and independence until they become of legal age to be responsible for their own actions. Monitoring childrens behavior in the home, in public, in school, and on the internet is not an invasion of privacy or childrens rights. Parents are held responsible for all they do and glad to see some parents have the ability to use the internet to do this. Personally I think internet friendships are too impersonal and not real. Children and adults get too invloved and spend too much time with impersonal chat lines that have no value or meaningful relationships. I wonder how destructive this is going to be to families and family unity and trust, which seems to have become impersonal and divided.

• facebook parent
    Aug. 6, 2008 1:25 a.m.

I joined facebook to maintain links with adult friends but the link to my son at University has been a bonus. My daughter declined my facebook friend request which is no big deal. More than half my friend requests are under 35 who know me(I'm in my late fifties)
    I find it curious that a parent would conceive this as a means of monitoring their son or daughter, independence is just that free choice how you communicate with one another.
    I find the enormous value of networking sites is it enables electronic communication across continents with friends who move home, work etc. It's wonderful to see photos of new arrivals!
    I don't have to look at teen photos of nights out either! For those who feel they need to perhaps this article is a form of advice although my own experience is look for the good in new forms of communication and let go of the idea of monitoring adult children.