American Legion baseball: Magical moment for T-Ville, Olson

• Southern Exposure
    Aug. 29, 2008 10:59 p.m.

Just to let you know the st. george schools played in there own league down here and went to a lot of tournaments all over the state and Vegas just couldn't seem to pay money for insurance to come up to salt lake and compete against all graduated seniors and college players for 2 games when we were playing better teams all over the west. St. George teams keep no graduated seniors so they have all 09 graduates on there rosters. I think Prestwich (SC)and Nyberg (Dixie) played on the select up north. Believe me there was baseball in St. George this summer and all programs will be ready to compete again in 09

• to i have to smile
    Aug. 27, 2008 6:15 p.m.

Cedar City was your Southern representation now that you cant put and elite St George All Star Team together. What happen to Dixie Snow Canyon And Pine View Legion teams. and what does that have to do with Cyprus taking second in the valley league.Oh and by the way nobody else is allowed to put together a All Star team in legion,if you want to go play the Bucks and Marshalls their looking for quality teams to play.

• I just have to smile
    Aug. 26, 2008 5:22 p.m.

The Cyprus Pirates took second place in the Valley League.
    The tournament's depth is at a lower level than the past few years because there is no representation from the St. George schools.

• This might sound Crazy
    Aug. 26, 2008 11:59 a.m.

Im reading all these negitive articles about the UBA,I understand that high school coaches say good by to there seniors and want to work with next years team ok so why not send your juniors and seniors to play legion and play for a State Championship, and for all the graduated seniors they have options of tryong out for the marshall gates foundation teams or put them in a draft and create additional team . This would only strenghthen American Legion .

• parent
    Aug. 26, 2008 11:44 a.m.

The three teams Marshalls ,Bucks and Utah Select are getting kids scholarships to play college baseball then how do kids that are not hand picked by the coaches get to play on these teams is there a tryout and when and where is the tryout and is there any information available . Sounds to me if a kid has aspiration of playing college ball then this league will help them get there sounds like they need to expand .

• Get Over Yourself Utah
    Aug. 20, 2008 4:00 p.m.

Utah so small minded. How sad, Bucks/Marshall's doing great things a coach gets kicked out of a game wow! Let's burn him at the stake shall we? Happens in the majors all the time. How many scouts from out of town were at Legion and UBA baseball league this summer? Utah has great baseball kids about time a program is trying to get them seen and noticed. Let's hope this continues. Utah Select has a great team but their coaches can be hot heads at that game Select coach talked to a player not good form. We have all had good coaches and bad coaches as a parent you have to weigh in what is the best place for your child where will he/she learn and advance the most? Then make your decision. Get off your high horse it was a great summer very happy with the coaching of the Marshalls and Bucks more ecstatic with scouts/schools coming to Utah finally for exposure.

• from afar
    Aug. 9, 2008 7:36 p.m.

As a parent of one of the Bucks players, I know for a fact that the Select team all had scholarships of some kind except for the 2 junior pitchers who surely will. That is 3 teams that went about things without the academy help!

• Coachs endorsment
    Aug. 8, 2008 4:26 p.m.

I would certainly hope that a player wouldn't need the high school coachs blessing to play at the next level. There are too many high school coaches who sit better players than the ones he puts on the field. This is for different reasons including the kid whose parents put a lot of money into the program, those who are members of the UBA ( so they must be better, right ?), size ( the bigger stronger kid who looks the part but isn't as good as the smaller player )and last but not least the younger player who had a stud older brother who is way better than the younger brother but the coach doesn't figure that out till 3 or 4 yrs later. I'm sure there are more reasons than that but my point is there are excellent players who never get the chance to show they can play at a very high level.

• Anonymous
    Aug. 7, 2008 9:19 p.m.

Dude, I'm not sure what your point is. I never indicated a single person could promise you a scolarship. And I never said anything negative about the Bucks, Marshalls or the UBA. They certainly provide a service. The point I was trying to make was that there are alot of opportunities to play after high school and this can be achieved without spending alot of money and without any help from your high school coach. Relax!! I'm sure all the young men that played for the Gates foundation teams as well as the UBA teams improved their skills each and every day they were "at the yard" learning "the game".

• RE: Have a life.
    Aug. 7, 2008 8:25 p.m.

We all agree not a lot of money out there for baseball scholarships. "Have a life" you don't know what you are talking about. Did you play this summer on the Bucks/Marshalls or even on any of the UBA Teams? If your from tville i know you didn't, cuz i know who played on those teams from Tville. So you don't know what you are talking about. No single person can promise you a scholarship. For anyone out there who has the opportunity to play for either the Bucks, Marshalls, or any of the UBA scout team go and talk to some of the player who played with them and find out for yourself if it is worth it. Ask if they learn the game, if they improved there game mentally and physically every day they were at the yard, and if they had fun doing it.

• Have a life.
    Aug. 7, 2008 5:19 p.m.

Get a Life, for the most part, I disagree. You're accurate in regards to the amount of most scholarships. Very few "full rides". Usually Mom & Dad get to pay for housing and or meals, but every little bit helps!! Also I think there are still plenty of opportunities to play after high school. If I count right 7 in Utah alone. Keep in mind Utah & BYU might not come calling, but still plenty of opportunities in and out of the state. Now as far as spending alot of $ and getting help from your sons high school coach, it's not necessary. Yes, I know what I'm talking about! No help from UBA! No help from the Gates foundation! And certainly no help from his high school coach (T-ville)!!!! A good friend of mine once told me, "if he's good enough,they'll find him". They did!

• baseball mom
    Aug. 7, 2008 4:35 p.m.

from a mother of a son and daughter who are very involved with baseball and softball keep life in perspective!!! It shouldn't matter who, where, and the mighty $$$ you pay for your kids to play!!! its teaching them to work hard be a team player and take your knocks with a grain of salt and never boast about your success!!! I read these comments and it makes me crazy!!!! my mother always taught me if you can't say anything nice don't talk!!! there would be alot of silence on these blogs!!! to all the kids who love the game work hard,play hard!!! you never know who's watching. from 4 years old playing tee ball, high school, legion, and yes college my son still has the love of the game!!! not alot of kids do by that point. the "bigs" are all about getting a break and someone seeing you but your team mates are always watching!!! for the love of the game!!!!

• Get a life
    Aug. 7, 2008 12:48 p.m.

To those of you who are so worried about where your kid is going to play, you need a reality check. This is how it will go. You will spend thousands of dollars getting your kid on the best teams. He might(emphasis on MIGHT)play on his high school team. The opportunities to play after high school are extremely limited today compared to years ago when two of my brothers went on to play. If he does go on to play, the scholarship will be a partial scholarhip only. Be prepared to foot most of the bill, no matter how good you think your son is. Only a select few players get full rides - even at the major schools. Worse, the opportunity to play after high school hinges more on your willingness to spend even more money to market your son and his high school coach's willingness to market him along with you. If the high school coach isn't willing to work with you or has no relationships at the college level, his chances to play on are virtually nil. His chance to get an academic scholarhip is much higher. That's the reality. Yes, I know what I'm talking about.

• to: Buck Thomas 2
    Aug. 6, 2008 7:10 p.m.

Yes, we have had those kinds of games. I did happen to be at one of the Marshall's tournaments that was being played at SLCC on weekend early on. They were beating Cedar City (I think) bad and instead of playing just base to base, he was sending guys. Maybe there was some bad blood from before for all I know. Also heard they had some problems with some all-star team (select?)that they might have lost to.
    Thanks for your input. If anyone else has opinions, I could sure use the help.

• to:Buck Thomas
    Aug. 6, 2008 4:31 p.m.

Buck Thomas has a very good rapport with all the opposing coaches. I watched him in numerous games against teams from all over the western states this past summer and he seemed to have a good relationship with them all. The reason why the Utah Marshalls and Utah Bucks can get teams like the scout team for the Cincinnati Reds to come here for a week is because of him and Chad Shepard. I don't think these teams that could go and play in any state would pick Utah to play for a week if their coach didn't get along with Buck. In regard to the running up of the score - your son sounds like he is talented. Has he ever played on a team that flat out has more talent than the other team and no matter what the coach does, his team is going to beat the other team badly? The Utah Marshalls and Utah Bucks played in those kind of games in tournaments - nothing you can do about them. You can't tell a pitcher to not throw hard and a hitter not to hit the ball as hard as he can - can you?

• to: Buck Thomas
    Aug. 6, 2008 3:47 p.m.

Still haven't answered my question about his rapport with opposing coaches, umpires, etc. My son is coming up and need all the information I can before making a decision. Has been asked to be with the Marshalls next year and want a passionate coach but one that also has standards. Please reply!

• Buck Thomas
    Aug. 6, 2008 12:19 p.m.

In my opinion Buck Thomas is a great baseball man. My son played on the Utah Bucks this past summer and to this point has received 2 scholarship offers with many more coming. All because of Buck and the Marshall Foundation. All the things you hear about Buck are not all together true. He is a very passionate about baseball and placing all the players that want to play at the next level. The UBA should use the Utah Marshall/Utah Bucks as example of how to HELP players for the good of the game and not extort the player and his family as the UBA does on a constant basis. The latest is this fall program they have where they want to take payments directly from your bank account. If you agree to do that - you are either desperate or crazy. I hope the Utah Marshalls and Utah Bucks have a year round program some day so younger players can benefit from the exposure to great baseball that the current players have benefitted from.

• totally agree with above
    Aug. 6, 2008 10:37 a.m.

The only drawback I have heard about Buck Thomas is that he is so feisty, he gets kicked out of games, has trouble with opposing coaches, and runs up the score on some teams. Any truth to that. But have also heard he does help his players be seen and heard about. Please let me know.

• re: How about this?
    Aug. 6, 2008 9:36 a.m.

I believe the Marshall Foundation may be doing just that! They had a clinic the other day and had 80 plus players attend. That didn't include the 30 or so players on the Marshalls and Bucks. Not bad for a program just 2 years old. If they do expand - it would be a GREAT thing. I was told the exposure that EVERY player on the Utah Marshalls and Utah Bucks received was top notch. Buck Thomas also runs a recruiting program that helps place all of them. I believe all of this was for free. Better get the UBA a bandaid - they are beginning to hemorrhage. Let's chant this together - NO MORE UBA! NO MORE UBA! NO MORE UBA!

• How about this?
    Aug. 5, 2008 10:21 p.m.

With the Marshalls, Bucks, and Select added to Legion the death of the UBA is just around the corner. Is there any truth to the rumor that the Marshall foundation may be adding teams to their fold? I certainly hope so!

• to:$$$$$$$
    Aug. 5, 2008 4:47 p.m.

Please make sure your facts are straight when pointing your finger. Gates Field WAS being used. The Utah Marshalls were playing the Cincinnati Reds scout team from the Los Angeles area. The Gates Foundation is doing great things for baseball in Utah and I hope that it and American Legion bury the UBA in the next few years.

• Roster
    Aug. 4, 2008 8:14 p.m.

Just wondering who is on the roster and the coaching staff of T Ville? My son played little league there way back when and just wondering !!

• $$$$$$$
    Aug. 4, 2008 1:51 p.m.

I think it's crying shame that the Gates Foundation and American Legion couldn't come to terms with concessions profits and hold the last few games at Kearns Gates Field as promised. I feel bad for these young men who had to play in the sand lot when a state-of-the-art field sat empty just across the street.

If this tournament really is "about the boys," then I would like to think that in the future everyone could come to terms early on and not haggle over the price of a few hot dogs...

• re:prm
    Aug. 3, 2008 8:05 p.m.

At least you have a true championship with excitement, an organization that cares about the boys..not the dollar, their own egos but just the kids...thank you American Legion and to the Utah State Committee.....

• prm
    Aug. 3, 2008 7:10 p.m.

Congrats to Taylorsville. Just when I thought I had seen everything!

Too bad the state doesn't have more partisipation in American Legion Baseball. I guess it's thanks again to Bob Keyes and the UBA For runining summer baseball in the state.

The American Legion Brand of baseball is still the most exciting game in town.

• Anonymous
    Aug. 3, 2008 6:07 p.m.

Should have been, Could have been, Would have been.........

• re:pressure
    Aug. 3, 2008 4:37 p.m.

Even if Olsen would have hit a fly ball for the 2nd out, Johnston would have tagged up and scored from 3rd to win the game. It was just T-villes day.

• RE: Key Point
    Aug. 3, 2008 4:00 p.m.

It was crap shoot. They were hoping for a "K". This hitter like most power hitters hits for extra bases, or strikes out. This time it went the hitters way. Thats baseball. Sounds like it was a great game.

• RE : Great Job
    Aug. 3, 2008 12:53 p.m.

Gee... it maybe that that Utah American Legion baseball is not that competitive. That is to bad. Maybe it will change in the future. There were only 3 or 4 "quality" teams playing. I was there....

• Coach D-
    Aug. 3, 2008 12:50 p.m.

Saw it...I still can't believe it! Some say you never believe in "T-ville Magic" until you see it. Peaches! You came up big dude...Nice job! it could not happen to a better kid!

Not suprised by the end result when you combine two of the hardest working programs in the state. Congrats to Coach Jackson and Staff for bringing these perennial powers together for a run at the title. Good luck in Arizona gentlemen.

Great Job Warriors! Great Job Pirates! Awsome finale to the Legion Tourney!

• No Surprise
    Aug. 3, 2008 10:51 a.m.

They (Taylorsville) won the Valley League championship before sweeping through the state tournament.

• To:Cyprus
    Aug. 3, 2008 10:24 a.m.

Cyprus played a great game, it took Cyprus gaining the lead to get the best out of T-Ville. Cyprus has nothing to feel bad about, there starting pitcher through fantastic, he had T-Ville off balance through 7. Both teams put it all out there Saturday, it is to bad there had to be a loser.

• Great Job
    Aug. 3, 2008 9:56 a.m.

So why does Taylorsville win in Legion, but not in high school?

Great job by Pratt and the rest of the coaching staff.

Good job Riverton kids.

• RE: T-ville Fan
    Aug. 3, 2008 9:21 a.m.

Great post. Great game played by both teams...

• Kelly Leak
    Aug. 3, 2008 8:29 a.m.

Cyprus pitcher Zak Kilpatrick got a pitch too close to the strike zone and Olson took a chance on it. The 6-foot-5 righty pulled it over the left-field fence, hitting a three-run homer to give the Warriors a 9-6 victory and the state championship.

• Think
    Aug. 3, 2008 8:23 a.m.

Cyprus took a chance on pitching to Johnston, who earned the Top Hitter award in the tournament. Johnston slapped an outside pitch to left field, scoring both Pulver and Pratt to tie the game.

• Tville Fan
    Aug. 3, 2008 8:18 a.m.

This game had some great plays as mentioned above. Bos nice tag out at home on the squeeze play! Tyler Curtis pitched a good game, if he'd get in trouble he'd get himself out of it - great 7 innings Curtis! This team wanted to win and it showed, after loosing the lead in the top of the 9th for the 1st time in the game they came back with everything they had.

One more thing - what's with Jones getting the pitching award - can they saw Tyler Curtis!

• WOW
    Aug. 3, 2008 8:13 a.m.

Call it an intentional walk-off home run. UNBELIEVABLE !!

• Key point
    Aug. 3, 2008 8:06 a.m.

Many people were surprised to see Johnston pitched to with an open base, and none more than Johnston himself.
    "I thought for sure I was getting walked," he said. "I got lucky I even got a pitch to hit."

• Presure
    Aug. 3, 2008 7:11 a.m.

The presure was on Pulver who walked, then the presure was on Pratt who singled, then the pressure was on Maddy to move runners, then there was pressure on Johnston to put the ball in play...and to have two runs score on a single to left field was absolutely incredible...speed...I don't believe many players score from second on a ground ball through the left side of the infield...then Newman gets a single and with an open base they chose to walk Olson...Olson should have taken the walk, it worked out but it could have been two outs with runners on second and third and facing extra innings..I wonder how he would have felt if it didn't work out for his team?

• At the Movies
    Aug. 3, 2008 7:08 a.m.

BAD NEWS BEARS.............What an interesting way to end a game.

• Cyprus
    Aug. 3, 2008 7:06 a.m.

They might have been the better team on this day. They scraped, clawed, played baseball how it should be played, moved runners, squeezed runners, bunted runners into scoring position...they really played the game right...there should have been a second game...

• A Baseball Fan
    Aug. 3, 2008 6:13 a.m.

What an interesting way to end a game. I had never seen anything like this in my many years of watching baseball. Perhaps the magic that Taylorsville Baseball claims is something real.

• Baseball FAN
    Aug. 3, 2008 2:39 a.m.

Props to AMAD for setting up the equalizer for Nic to capitalize on... Great Coaching to have AMAD move the runners, and not swing hard with the wind at his back, and put them in scoring position for Nic to get the hit to bring this game even. Preston, what more do I need to say??? WOW!!! TC way to go on the mound, Jordan, we should have put your awesome leadoff single to better use. T-VIlle is a team to be reckoned with.

• Sports Center
    Aug. 3, 2008 2:14 a.m.

dadada dadada What Preston Olson did at this level of play was something that will be remembered for a life time. I still can't believe what an amazing STUD play that truly was!!! For Preston to be able to arm that ball over the very deep left field fence is beyond my belief! I will never forget that moment the rest of my life. I may be bias but that was an amazing individual effort to redeem himself and get his team to the Victory!!! Good Luck in Suprise, AZ and may you guys continue to Suprise the Region in Legion. See you in Suprise!!!

• A - MAD
    Aug. 3, 2008 1:07 a.m.

peach went O Paaaaaace

• T-ville Fan
    Aug. 3, 2008 12:34 a.m.

What a great contest, with gritty players from Taylorsville, Riverton and Cyprus! Hats off to the Pirates for two amazing never-say-die games.

Congratulations Preston, it's sweet to share the T-ville Magic with your new friends. These kids will talk about this game their entire lives. Good luck Warriors, go get 'em in Arizona!