Body of missing Draper man found in desert

• Yet Another Searcher
    Aug. 4, 2008 1:33 p.m.

I also helped with the search, and I must say, if Jay hadn't expired from the fall, but somehow had managed to survive for a couple more days before expiring, the Tooele County officials would have some explaining to do, because I didn't see any leadership, organization, or urgency among the professionals. Don, Ken and Don (Jay's father and brothers) had to run the operation.

Also, although I really truly admire everyone who went into that incredibly challenging patch of wilderness to search, someone should have been looking after the welfare of the searchers. Several were up there with the wrong gear, training and physical conditioning. It's lucky nobody else was seriously hurt, or worse. I know at least 2 were stranded overnight Friday, one man who had been fasting barely made it down after a rescue party had to be sent up after him Friday night, and some kid was picked off a cliff Saturday afternoon.

Hopefully Tooele County will do a review of the operation and make some changes, because heaven knows, we have several of these situations every year. If the next guy survives his injury, we'll have to get to him much sooner to save him.

• Another Searcher and Friend
    Aug. 4, 2008 12:50 p.m.

I was also one of those who helped in the search. It was awesome to see how many people showed up to help, let alone all of those who supported the searchers. There were 100's of people involved.

Jay will be dearly missed by all who knew him. He was a good man and a great husband. I considered him a good friend. I will miss his insights and cheery disposition.

• Another Searcher
    Aug. 4, 2008 12:25 p.m.

As someone who helped in the search for Jay, all I can say is that the news reporting agencies truly missed the real story. There were an incredible number of family and friends that turned out to help look for Jay. While those that were able were on the mountain searching, others stayed behind gathering bottled water, ice, and food. When it was discovered that Search & Rescue was little more than moral support, neighbors created maps of the area that could be used to aid in the search.

Then there was Jay's family. What an incredible group of people. I was next to Jay's youngest brother when he got the call that Jay had been found. Jay's brother had been hiking all over those mountains for 3 days and had just come down a particularly difficult trail only to head right back up and help with the extraction.

Finally there was Jay's wife and children who courageously attended church yesterday and personally thanked all of the members who had spent time away from families helping to search for Jay.

Jay will be missed by us all.

• I agree with anonymous
    Aug. 3, 2008 9:14 p.m.

Maybe it was just his time. I agree that if anyone was spiritually ready, it was this man. Regardless, Mrs. Adamson is a strong lady. She will get through this tragedy in time, helping her children to do the same, and press on. They are much loved by friends and family.

• re to Hollywood
    Aug. 3, 2008 7:19 p.m.

I agree with your sympathies and words of wisdom. Hopefully from this tragedy (or any other one) we can all learn ...may my thoughts
    more quickly think "buddy system" especially if there are special health concerns with me or anyone in my group.

• Anonymous
    Aug. 3, 2008 3:42 p.m.

Hollywood,
    Wow I am sure he or his family never thought of that(not hiking alone). Maybe he needed to be alone for awhile. None of us know when our father in heaven will call us home. We just need to go on living like this man was. His test in life was up he passed with flying colors and he was needed for another mission!

• Hollywood
    Aug. 3, 2008 1:16 p.m.

Yes, very sad. And I'm not trying to sound unsympathetic or cruel, but a) someone shouldn't be hiking alone and b) especially not a diabetic.

I have relatives that are diabetic. Despite their best efforts, sometimes they go into insulin shock. Whether diabetic or less severe, hypoglycemic, once glucose levels drop, you can become disoriented, "shaky," etc.

I'm not claiming this is what happened. Mr. Adamson could have just accidently slipped and fallen.

But I would urge others to learn from this terrible tragedy. Never hike or climb alone. Even experienced people can find themselves in trouble - an accidental slip, a path giving way, a boulder shifting position. And that rule holds especially true for anyone with additional health considerations.

Aug. 3, 2008 1:16 p.m.

Thank you for removing my comment in response to another one. With that said, I want to offer my sympathy to this family. This man looked as if he was in the prime of his life and we just never know when our time will come. I hope that his family will treasure the good moments and move forward in life in a positive way.

• Our Prayers are
    Aug. 3, 2008 12:57 p.m.

with this family. What a very sad tragedy!! I'm sure he would have preferred being here to share in the joy of having a son on a mission and being actively involved in the lives of his other children. No doubt he will be watching over them from on high.

Diabetes is an enemy to life, but it can be managed through diet and exercise. He was doing the right thing, but he would probably agree now that going alone wasn't the best way to go hiking. I believe the "buddy" system really is best and we can all learn something from this event. We pray the family is comforted and well supported.

• darren
    Aug. 3, 2008 12:26 p.m.

Very cool family, great wife, beautiful childen...what a tragedy. so sorry for your loss.

• RL
    Aug. 3, 2008 11:09 a.m.

How sad. It's always sad to see the family left behind, especially when there is a spouse and children. Our prayers go to the family.

• Adrenals
    Aug. 3, 2008 11:08 a.m.

Our condolences to the family. Physical exercise is a very good way to reduce diabetic symptoms. I'm sure Jay cared very deeply for his family, and consequently had lots to live for,having no intention to end his life this way.

• dang...
    Aug. 2, 2008 11:37 p.m.

That guy is in my Stake and I had a phone call recording from my bishop to go help search

• Dear I wonder
    Aug. 2, 2008 8:14 p.m.

Situation or not, judge not.
    My deepest sympathies to the family!

• Me
    Aug. 2, 2008 8:04 p.m.

I wonder, your remarks are ugly.
    My prayers go out to this family.

• Ariel
    Aug. 2, 2008 5:51 p.m.

That is so sad, which such a young and large family, he was a real great person and will be sorely missed by everyone. Our prayers go to the family.

• Sorry....
    Aug. 2, 2008 4:21 p.m.

to see things happening like this, especially when a person was doing something that he loves to do. My heart goes out to his family...

• stake member
    Aug. 2, 2008 3:34 p.m.

What a tragic ending for such a wonderful family. I am so sorry for their loss. My prayers are with them.

• Searcher
    Aug. 2, 2008 2:43 p.m.

Yes, they did have search dogs. For whatever reason they came within 25 feet of the body without picking up the scent. His body was very well hidden. Heartbreaking up there.

• dog handler
    Aug. 2, 2008 11:55 a.m.

Wonder if the have used search dogs. They are a great resource.