Pit bull impounded after attacking man in Orem

Pedestrian feels lucky to suffer only small bite wound

• Pit Bull Owner 2
    Aug. 1, 2008 4:15 p.m.

People don't realize that ANY dog can be aggressive or vicious. My pit bull is one of the best dogs I have ever owned. The only time a story is made about a dog bite is when it is dealing with Pit Bulls. I think it would be insane if Pit Bulls were banned. Just because their bites are stronger then any other dogs does not mean they shouldn't be able to have a life just like any other dog. It doesn't mean they will bite. It really does just depend on the owner of the dog. Any dog, literally, can be vicious and run off and bite someone. So should we just ban ALL dogs?

• Good Citizens
    Aug. 1, 2008 10:58 a.m.

Any dog (pit bull or rottweiler or any others) that can pass the good citizen canine testing should be allowed to be family pets and should not be in the aggressive or vicious dog category regrldless of breed. Any dog can be trained and be socialized to the community appropriately. Bad owners give good dogs a bad name. I make sure my dogs can pass this test to assure the public they are well behaved.

• Random
    July 31, 2008 4:29 p.m.

I, too, thought bites were bites, get over it. Dogs do that. Then I was invited to a neighbor's and got attacked by their german shepherd. If the dog had attacked their 8-year old son, he would have had stitches. I'm an adult and it was still a horrible experience. As I was the third attack in a week, they gave the dog back to its original owner. No love lost there.

• I agree with ED
    July 31, 2008 4:03 p.m.

Too many, many pit bull owners ARE irresponsible. And a lot of other breed owners, too. But some breeds ARE more agressive and dangerous than others. And when a child is seriously harmed or dead, it doesn't really matter whether you blame the dog or the owner. Some breeds of dogs are not bred to be family pets and shouldn't be, even though individual ones can be lovely.
    Pit bulls and rottys really don't belong in urban neighborhoods. Since we can't license dog owners or prevent stupidity, let's not allow dangerous dogs in neighborhoods.

• Ed H
    July 31, 2008 2:40 p.m.

I know, I know, it is not the breed of dog, just the way they are trained or treated... or it is just the irresponsible owner. All true. But also true is the bite force of a pit bull vs any other dog on earth. The breed should be banned, period. To continue to allow this breed in an urban area is like allowing the ownership of a tamed lion in a neighborhood and then hoping it never gets loose and forgets it's good training.

• Pit bull owner
    July 31, 2008 12:32 p.m.

RE: lpf

your comment about these dogs being vicious is obsurd. You need to change it to irresponsible dog "owners" should be outlawed. It doesn't matter what kind of dog it is, the owners are responsible to teach and train them. I have seen many small dogs ie: chihuahuas show more aggressive behaviors. I have had several breeds of dogs over the years and I can honestly say my pit bull has just as good of social skills as any of them (sheltie, lhasa apso, labrador, Rat Terrier)
    Harley is more gentle with the grandkids than any of them.
    SO before you bad mouth the dogs, think hard about the stupid owners that have not been responsible for their pets.

• lpf
    July 31, 2008 11:04 a.m.

It would of turned in to an attack,if the guy would of ran. Just think if it was a child do you think with two pit bulls and one lab that the child would of even had a chance! why do you think that attacks with a pit bull are in the paper all the time? dont you think it's because these dogs are dangerous and should be out lawed!

• Chill Out
    July 31, 2008 10:31 a.m.

Wow... calm down... a guy got bit by a dog and they wrote a story about it. I'm trying to feel bad for the warm, fuzzy pit bulls with PR problems, but sorry--I just can't.

• Amanda
    July 31, 2008 9:50 a.m.

The word attack hardly describes this incident. This man was not attacked by a pit bull he was bitten by a pit bull. If you have ever seen a dog attack, you would know there is a huge difference. I am bitterly dissapointed in Deseret news. I feel that they used these words to sensationalize the story to get people to read it. The damage that is done when the media does this is huge and hard for responsible pit bull owners to reverse. What we have here is a case of irresponsible dog owners. All of the dogs should be taken from their owners and placed in the care of people who are ready to take care of them properly. People get minor dog bites like this every day, I was bitten much worse by a stray maltese as a child, my bite actually required stiches but I don't remember that dog being impounded or put down and this event certainly did not make a big article in a major newspaper. Why is it that that the media insists on demonizing what can be a truly wonderful breed of dog? Punish the owners with your words not the dogs!