82% of Utah families are married

• Anonymous
    July 29, 2008 12:24 p.m.

Utah leads the nation on a lot of other things.
    What is the divorce rate in Utah? Are all those marriages are first marriage? Any second, third or fourth marriages in that group. What is the average divorce rate in Utah?. Are they all stay married by choice or for keeping appearances?

I would like to hear more good news for Utah such as bancropcy among others.

• Really Know Your Facts!
    July 29, 2008 9:42 a.m.

Utah's divorce rate is right at the national average, not above it. But that really says nothing because that statistic ignores the marriage rate and average incomes which are both important compounding factors.

• Clare
    July 29, 2008 9:24 a.m.

As a school teacher, I can almost always tell, without asking questions and looking it up, if a child comes from a broken home. They tend to have more emotional problems, and lack of self-esteem. Many of them are very insecure. I had a student last year who was a mess emotionally because of the divorce. We got her as much help as we could, and I tried to help her as I come from a broken home. I can truly say that the break up of my parent's marriage made me terrified to try it myself. Fortunately, a great man stuck out the emotional problems I had and married me anyway, although my wedding day is not something I like to remember. I'm so happpy in my marriage, but it took a lot of work to get me there. Good work for those parents who are able to stick it out!

• Anonymous
    July 29, 2008 6:47 a.m.

Misery doesn't like company - it demands it.

• Anonymous
    July 29, 2008 6:43 a.m.

Well this report is such a mixed bag that you can pull just about any stat out and defend your favorite pet position with it. I think I will look at it as the glass half full and use the stat that over two thirds of children live with married parents.

• Know Your Facts
    July 29, 2008 6:01 a.m.

The Current Population Survey has a very small sample size in Utah. Data from the American Community Survey should be released next month and should be more reflective of actually family circumstances.

Utah may have a high percentage of married couples. However, it has a higher divorce rate than the national average. Utahns just get remarried at a higher rate.

• Eye Dee Ten Tee
    July 29, 2008 2:01 a.m.

This accomplishment is something to be proud of and thankful for. Living in Middle America (Ohio), in a family friendly suburb with many children, most of the children have been through the hell of divorce or have to live with the uncertainty of having two parents that are too selfish to get married and commit to their family. Congratulations to all those who are mature enough to get (and stay) married even when it's not easy.

• Proud RM
    July 29, 2008 12:27 a.m.

Good News. The Saints are leading the nation again. Must be something about thie mojo we have as the caravan is moving and we are providing an example to all the nation(s) in morality.