Berliners captivated by Obama visit, speech

• To Anon (neocon hater)
    July 29, 2008 10:30 a.m.

Dude. I don't want America to be loved and liked by the world.

I would much rather be respected, and feared.

You namby, pansy, wimpy libs have forgotten what it means to be an American.

Be proud of your country!

• Richard
    July 28, 2008 4:51 p.m.

Comparing Obama and Hitler are we?

Really? Really Utah? Are you that far out of touch with what is really going on in this world?

You say that Obama does "not present a plan" when he speaks. Well I guess you just don't listen, because I have heard his plans and I like them.

Just because you too lazy and uninformed to find out his position does not mean he does not have one.

Get a clue.

• Interdependence is key
    July 28, 2008 4:40 a.m.

The posters who are encouraged by Obama's interdependent approach to the world hit the nail on the head. We NEED a president who realizes that it isn't all about US anymore. We've sent most of our agricultural base and derive most of our oil from other countries, folks. We've exported most of our industry. When you are a consumer and not a producer, you are at the mercy of those who feed and energize you, and YOU KNOW I TELL THE TRUTH when I say that our basic needs are mainly met by foreign suppliers. Now, in light of sobering reality, who do we need more? A president who would just as soon give the world the finger and place all his faith in the U.S. military, or a president who seems to be willing to sit down at the international table and talk? Neither man is an ideal choice, IMHO, but just on international relations alone, I know who I think has their head on straight. If we want to remain a strong nation, in the meantime, we need to work a little harder and give up convenience and gluttony. Our economic woes are caused by US.

July 27, 2008 7:49 a.m.

Love Obama. Very refreshing. What I loved more was McCain's snarking. He isn't even good at that. Oh, and could someone please give McCain a geography lesson? Maybe he ought to take a trip or two, map in hand, so he can figure out the world landscape.

• Capt. Smash
    July 26, 2008 9:20 p.m.

I think the biggest difference I saw was people waving American flags, not burning them as they do when Bush goes overseas.

Most of you GOP people are so Brain Washed by Fox News and Rush you cannot think on I higher level. You set there in your chairs and listen to your radios and watch your TVs and you think your well informed. This is why we went to war 4200 American troops dead for the sake of oil, and your paying four dollars a gallon of gas.

Thank God we have some Americans who can think and are not Brain Washed by Fox News, Sean and Rush.

Electoral College polling count thus far.

Barack Obama 238

John McCain 163

Toss Up 137

July 26, 2008 3:44 p.m.

The reason why the Berliners love Obama, is Europe is nothing but a socialist 'Union' and Obama is a socialist himself, NOT a democrat. Maybe he should move to Germany if they love him so much. I know I don't want him as my president. You don't have my vote Obama!

• Mark B
    July 25, 2008 10:30 p.m.

Man! Obama draws a quarter million or so, but you Obama haters still have nothing good to say about him. I wonder what comments we'd have here if he'd gone to a brat shop instead. Doh!

• C'Mon
    July 25, 2008 10:05 p.m.

Barak's speech was so full of JFK and RWR that I couldn't even figure out who was really speaking. Why can't Barak be himself? Oh, I forgot, he is so much for change that he constantly is changing to prove it. To Sokol, if you think Barak's was so good then you truly have missed the great speeches of Reagan and the great, yet wrong, speeches of Slick Willy.

July 25, 2008 8:29 p.m.

PRINCETON, NJ -- Barack Obama has expanded his lead over John McCain in the Tuesday through Thursday Gallup Poll Daily tracking rolling average, and now has a 47% to 41% advantage over his Republican challenger.

July 25, 2008 8:14 p.m.

This is LDS fair play? You print any fool attacking Obama. You won't publish my opinion absent of profanities that questions drive by politics.

I wish we would tax the LDS Church because this paper proves it a political organization.

• Sokol
    July 25, 2008 4:40 p.m.

As much as I enjoy Obama, it scares me to think that
    politically correct speach, actions, laws, and environmental extremism will obliterate more freedoms. Let's hope Britains David Cameron and
    the Czech Republics wise leader Vaclav Klause bring
    checks and balances to this onslaught...Bush made
    the time ripe for Democrats to take over the White House....That being said, Obama was inspiring, hopeful, and a master speech maker....not since, Hubert Humphrey have I heard a better speach.

• Tom Paine
    July 25, 2008 2:54 p.m.

I for one don't want an old man who needs a walker, who cheated on his crippled wife, who wants to stay in Iraq for 100 years, who wants to bomb Iran, and who has absolutely no knowledge of the world outside of Arizona, as our president

• Michelle Obama's illegal acts?
    July 25, 2008 2:51 p.m.

DO THE MATH HERE, 200 into $1.3 million = I THOUGHT THAT WAS ILLEGAL?. Interesting. Barack believes that he must fight for the world as it should be, a world where together we work to reverse discriminatory laws, she said at a Manhattan fundraiser for the Democratic National Committee's Gay and Lesbian Leadership Council. Michelle Obama also drew a connection between the struggles for gay rights and civil rights. Michelle Obama's speech brought a standing ovation from the crowd of about 200 donors, who raised about $1.3 million, organizers said. Some like the REAL bratwurst, while other's like "another type of a sausage".

• Ricardo
    July 25, 2008 12:50 p.m.

I would love to vote for Obama. He's young, articulate, full of hope. He's the anti-Bush, statesman-like in appearance and generates a feeling of goodwill. I can get excited about a candidate like him.

Unfortunately Obama does not share my ideals and principles.

So I am going to do the right thing and vote for the candidate who is more closely alligned to my beliefs on taxes, abortion, national security, etc.

I wish John McCain had the charisma Obama does, but I'm more concerned about my children's future.

• Tommie
    July 25, 2008 12:41 p.m.

To My $o.02: With the prophecy you speak of, more must be done than electing McCain, we as liberty believing americans must stand up and take back our government, by force of words, meaning we tell our government what we want and how they should be doing it. I have no doubt that the Constitution will hold on with less than a thread if people don't start defednign it

• The rest of the story
    July 25, 2008 12:38 p.m.

"Not only did he bash his own country, he has canceled his visitation to our wounded soldiers in Germany."

Sorry, I corrected your misspelled "canceled."

Faux News didn't tell you the complete story. Obama felt that he was on a campaign trip. It would be wrong to reduce injured Americans soldiers to campaign photo ops.

You can disagree. Values was part of Obama's reasoning. I understand why conservatives might not understand, with their any thing to values that has gotten America in to a mess.

• My $0.02
    July 25, 2008 12:28 p.m.

I see Obama's European tour as being similar to what Geo.W did after the last election. Before results of the election were finalized he stepped in and started acting as if he had won the election. Al Gore should not have sat in the background as he did.

Obama is out on the world stage giving speeches and speaking w/ foreign diplomats acting as if he is the next president. McCain had better not set on the sidelines too long and allow this image of Obama as president to take root.

I agree with Obama that we should not be in Iraq. But now that we are there the USA has a responsibility to see it through, to help that country to become stable. To just pull out would be a disaster for the Iraqi people.

Prophecy has it that the condition in the USA will become very bad, that the constitution will hang by a thread. I think Obama will take us there more quickly. My vote is for McCain.

• Obama=Peace?
    July 25, 2008 12:19 p.m.

Obama want "Peace" at what cost, I mean, he wants to pull out Iraq, is that going to bring peace? No! Why? because terrorists WILL take over that country, yeah a real peaceful solution. What Obama wants is power, that is all.

• Tommie
    July 25, 2008 12:12 p.m.

To Dudes: I can tell you why they don't like Obama, because what he says and what he does is differant. He says he wants world peace but all I hear about is disarming America, yeah like that will bring peace! The guy is racist, I have heard so many sound bites of him saying the most racist comments, and I can ensure you, I'm not voting for him because he wants to take my guns, my God and my liberty, lets see how far he gets with that!

• Tommie: HAH!
    July 25, 2008 12:06 p.m.

Guess what anonymous at 11:47, you guys sit there and say the country is getting sick of Rush and Sean, well why is it then that they still have millions of listeners, and that liberal talk shows don't ever make it without the government bailing them out? The fact is, most Americans do still hold those views, because most Americans still have foundation built on morals, not in the of equality like all of you liberals like to say.

• A Sheep-clothed Wolf
    July 25, 2008 12:02 p.m.

Hussein is an egomaniac gone amok. He is not only not the president of the United States, he is not even officially the nominee of his party. Have you Hussein idolizers noticed that notwithstanding all the hype, he hasn't even got a bump in the polls. Of course, the America-hating German throng cheered Hussein. He was his usual "articulate", clever, deceitful self in the subtle way he criticized his own country. The Germans loved it, after all, that's what they came to hear and Hussein didn't disappoint them. The American electorate is too smart to be deceived by the Hussein camp flim-flammers. So 200,000 like-minded German socialists showed up to cheer and get a glimpse of the great one. That should surprise no one. Landslide, you are delusional. Americans have about four months to vet the real Hussein, and he will be thoroughly vetted for what he is, a European socialist wannabee. Hussein will NOT be the next president. Get used to it.

• C'Mon
    July 25, 2008 12:02 p.m.

To Lewt 11:24, C'mon, you can do better than that. Obama is running against McCain, or have you forgotten? He is not running against Bush. Given all the bashing of Bush you'ld think that the looney left is still in a love affair with bashing instead of moving forward. Come to think of it, all they can do is bash and not move forward... Hmmm, maybe Obama is on to something, bash and keep the focus from his own horrible and dangerous faults.

• Dudes
    July 25, 2008 11:49 a.m.

I don't understand why folks don't all like Obama. After all he is just for World Peace. That profound an most unusual desire that sets him appart from all other politicians should drive us to the polls in droves.

• Independant voter
    July 25, 2008 11:48 a.m.

How can someone who is RUNNING for president of the United States of America go and preach a campaign speech to a country we have had to reign in twice in the last 100 years? Speaking to them about OUR woes? I think he should be tried for treason! Are we not a soverign nation? What is he REALLY trying to do? Working with the same country that has brought more than its share of world woes (Pardon the pun), Is he really running for the spot Adolph left open? He better worry about home first!!!

• And the answer is...
    July 25, 2008 11:49 a.m.

We have a choice.

We can vote for a demonized Senator from the Mid-West. (Thank you very much Rush and Sean)

Or,

We can vote for a man(?) who committed adultery while his crippled wife was at home with the kids.

July 25, 2008 11:47 a.m.

Senator Obama will be the next president of the United States and by the way he is focusing on uniting the world and this country, will be a good one.
    America has grown tired and weary of the Rush Limbaugh style of divisive let's focus on getting them dang liberals! politics that today only appeals to the reddest of the rednecks in America.

• Answer Please
    July 25, 2008 11:28 a.m.

To all you Obama Kool-Aid drinkers please answer a couple of questions...

How can you vote for a man who is closely allied with a man who bombed the Pentagon and who would do it again (Ayers)?

How can you vote for a man who stayed allied with a preacher, and called hi his "spiritual advisor", for 20 years who constantly berated the "whitey" and the USA, and is outwardly racist?

How can you vote for a man whose wife was given a fantastic education only to say that she can finally be proud of America now that Obama is running?

How can you vote for a man who came out against a "surge" (albeit in an unpopular war) to say that the USA has lost the war only to find out that the "surge" was highly effective and the total right thing to do?

How can you vote for a man whose principles have caused so many, and more that what can ever be mentioned, wrong decisions?

The Kool-Aid must taste good to you, because it is rancid to the rest of us.

• RightOfRight
    July 25, 2008 11:27 a.m.

Without his cue cards, Obama sounds illiterate. I am not saying he is, he just sounds that way. He has trouble answering the most simple of questions. If this was President Bush stumbling over his word, like Obama, the media would be having a field day with it. Even with all of the positive reporting on Obama from the news media in recent months, the race has tighten considerably according to the latest Rasmussen poll. I can't imagine what the polls would be if the roles were reversed and McCain had been getting all of the positive press and Obama the negative.

The mainstream media should be embarrassed by their overt fawning over Obama. Even liberals have conceded that the MSM is in the tank for Obama. Maybe it is time to clamp down on the MSM like the Dems want to clamp down on right wing talk radio.

• Lewt
    July 25, 2008 11:24 a.m.

I wonder if those who fault Obama for not visiting the US military wounded in Germany are aware that GWB never visits any military hospitals, even the ones in cities where he LIVES.

• re: M. Allred 11:11
    July 25, 2008 11:21 a.m.

This neocon is nervous about the moniker Neoconservative.
    Yet he thinks he's entitled to slam people with the word "liberal" (aka Democrat) every chance neocons get.
    These types are a hoot!
    A total [blankin'] hoot!

• M. Allred
    July 25, 2008 11:11 a.m.

Neoconservatism is a political philosophy that emerged by those who rejected social liberalism, moral relativism, and the new left counterculture of the 1960s. It influenced the presidential administrations of Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush, representing a realignment in American politics, and the defection of some liberals to the right of the political spectrum; hence the term neo, which refers to being new.

The term neoconservative is also used as a criticism against liberals who "moved to the right," these were also known as Reagan Democrats. Senator Joe Liberman who left the democrat party to become an independent, may be considered a neocon, he moved to the right of liberal political spectrum.

Since neo = new; the new left (the president and the government should be all, should fix all and be omnipotent) would be known as neoliberal, would it not? Or is this still old lib thinking? Remember when Michael Dukakis was running for prez? Claiming to be a member of the L club was dangerous. What the conservatives are feeling now, the liberals felt during the Dukakis campaign; this all ebbs and flows.

• TOMMIE
    July 25, 2008 11:09 a.m.

To M. Allred: You made an excellent point, and I agree with you. The President isn't the source of all power, but for some reason this election, I have a feeling that if Obama is elected, it will have an extremely differant influence on this country like never before. I personally believe that the fault does fall on all of us of where our country is, especially economically, not only do we contribute to that, but elect the people to make those decisions, which makes it our fault when they make the wrong one, we just need to get all of those people out of office, we need new people, ordinary people, because from the ordinary do the extraodinary come, and that is what will turn this country around.

July 25, 2008 11:08 a.m.

Wow! There sure are a lot of deluded Bush-loving Republicans still out there! Wake up! Obama is trying to rebuild American prestige in the world, not tear it down. I think Republicans have one major trait in common -- they are afraid of positive change of any kind. Instead, they want the US to be more isolationist, xenophobic, and militaristic.

• Re: CTObserver
    July 25, 2008 10:57 a.m.

You have to remember that Americans were easily mesmerized by Bush as he cunningly led this country into a fictitious war.

• Well Spoken
    July 25, 2008 10:53 a.m.

Um, er, ah, isn't it, um, hmm, ah, nice to have, um, a, eh, a presidential candidate, that, um, er, eh-hem, can speak, er, ah, uhhhh, articulately?

• I love it!
    July 25, 2008 10:40 a.m.

A black guy named Obama commands a European audience with his grace and respectful style.

Dubya gets booed and jeered everywhere he goes.

Are you hardcore far-righters paying attention?

• M. Allred
    July 25, 2008 10:41 a.m.

I do not believe one man, Bush, is singly responsible for the Nations woes. Nor do I believe, one man, Obama or McCain, can save us all. One president, 100 senators and 435 congressmen, 536 human beings who were voted into office by you and I. Do not forget Supreme and State Court justices, and district judges who make decisions.

Entitlements, in part, push this Nation to chaos. Those who believe they are owed are a catalyst to this Nations problems; as well as: frivolous lawsuits, borrowing money beyond our means, divorce, moral ineptitude etc. Our self-centered decisions, stacked on top of each other, bear great weight against this Nation. What happened to self-responsibility and hard work? I am amazed at how many people point to the president as the source of all bad (it is easy to do, feels good and it removes conscience and self-responsibility) and yet, with the other hand, point to a presumptive president saying he will be the single source of good. Blame Bush, no, look at your own individual actions. Obama or McCain the savior? No. Only we, as a people, collectively, can change this nation.

• Fearmongering
    July 25, 2008 10:30 a.m.

Always a great way to control the masses and make them snap into line.

-----> Look Shiny keys!

• TOMMIE
    July 25, 2008 10:24 a.m.

to Please: TOMMIE:

Others may have given speeches is there, but there are two things different, one those men were actually Presidents and had a reason to go there, second, they weren't taking their money for compaigns, and it is WRONG to allow people outside of this country to influence the election.

Obama may very well be the next president of this country, but I honestly pray to God that he won't be. He will destroy the moral foundation of this country; chrisianity will be pursued to the death by him, he will destroy America, and plead with God that he will intervene in softening the hearts of other Americans in this election, everyone looks at Obama for the wrong reasons, he doesn't want to serve America, he wants to destroy it! He seems to think that we are here to serve him and Congress, well guess what? He is there to serve us, and better get that through his head!

• McCain n Mitt has my vote's
    July 25, 2008 10:22 a.m.

HOWEVER I DON'T TRUST THE U.S. State Department "Acting Deputy" spokesman, Gonzalo R. Gallegos, with my life and a nuke in Cuba's hands. The federal government is too far removed from everyday contact with the people. They don't know what's going on in the street and have no first hand knowledge of what's happening in America. We need a strong federal government to protect our country from foreign invaders, to maintain national law enforcement, to build our interstate highways and all the many other things which can only be handled by a central authority. There definitely needs to be federal law about discrimination, uniformity of business practices, prosecution of interstate crimes and the like. But the problem with Washington is that it has become a monolithic juggernaut of self-serving, outdated, self-inflated men and women, who lack the morality and the courage to stand against the crowd when the crowd is wrong. Self-preservation has become the norm in D.C. and political partisanship, right or wrong, has become the coin of the realm.

DID Obama address this on TV in Germany?

"NOPE". - Wht not?.

• Please: TOMMIE
    July 25, 2008 10:17 a.m.

Are you people all that backwards, like no president has ever given a speech in a European country before.

• Richard Nibbler
    July 25, 2008 10:16 a.m.

Berliners were also captivated by Adolph Hitler's speeches.

Just because someone is a great orator, that does not mean they'll be a great leader. Hitler seemed like he would become a great leader, but the people were fooled by his speeches.

Obama is a gifted orator, but just because he can captivate a crowd does not mean he's the next best thing since sliced bread.

July 25, 2008 10:13 a.m.

Obama is smart enough to know that no nation can exist on its own. Especially in a a global economy.

His understanding of how interdependent our world is sets him head and shoulders above the old neocon ideology of isolationism.

He will be a good, intelligent and compassionate leader who is already beginning to heal the negative image the nasty neocon movement has place at the feet of America.

• Crazy!
    July 25, 2008 10:12 a.m.

Obama wants the world to get along with each other and people on here think he's starting a one world government. Are you guys for real, afraid of your own shadow!. McCain could have made the exact same speech and you all would be saying he was awesome. Give it a break.

• if they don't like it ...
    July 25, 2008 10:09 a.m.

A 48-year old black guy named Obama who leans left is going to be the next president of the United States - any fool can certainly see that.

If this is not to the liking of a culture that STILL believes in the antiquated Mark of Cain thing, they can always move to Canada or Mexico.

• GO OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!
    July 25, 2008 10:08 a.m.

Face it republican sheeple, Obama will be the next President of the United States. He will lose in Utah but Utah is not relevant anyway. I look forward to the Iraqi withdrawal and the economic recovery. To the republicans: Good bye and don't come back.

• It was not his crowd.
    July 25, 2008 10:07 a.m.

These people were there because of two very popular rock bands, if it had been just Obama, there would not have been as many people there.

I do have to give Obama credit, he is a master actor, when he has his script.

Do not think that Rev Wright just happened to come and go without this being planned, last we heard from him was an attack on Obama. So what happened when Obama got tough and turned his back from Wright? Does anyone believe that Wright is just going to stop wagging his tongue after Obama went after him?

Enjoy your under $4.00 a gallon gas, cause when Obama is in office, he wants it to be higher, which also means higher food prices. But on the other hand, you will get free medical, just plan to wait in line for three hours or three months or three years.

Watch out for wolves in sheep's clothing!!!

• TOMMIE
    July 25, 2008 10:03 a.m.

There is something SERIOUSLY WRONG with having Europeans be able to contribute to the American candidate they like. We are allowing foreign countries to have an influence on how the election goes. Why is Obama in Europe, he isn't getting elected by the Europeans. If Obama is elected, America will be very vulnerable to attack, and that is something that scares me, a lot.

• Re:OK
    July 25, 2008 10:01 a.m.

Enough of the fear tactics... we are crying, crying that we are paying over $4.00 a gallon for gas, an economy that is in shambles, a war that is costing billions of dollars a day, we are crying because the stock market is falling and banks are closing. We listend to people like you when we elected GWB.
    How can you scare people that are already scared sick by the current administration.

• Anti American
    July 25, 2008 9:57 a.m.

Obama should have felt right at home in middle of all these anti americans. This guy is doing everything he can to show those who hate America that he is on their side. This guy is the scariest thing that has ever happened to our constitution. He is looking for a one world order, and wants to show that he will be the king dog. Heaven help us!!

July 25, 2008 9:58 a.m.

the greatest danger to our freedom is Obama and he Democrats.

• Kennedy/Nixon
    July 25, 2008 9:54 a.m.

This reminds me of the Kennedy/Nixon race. Kennedy was young,fresh and full of hope. Nixon was brudish and boring. Obama went to Germany and told the truth about what's going on in the world. Why is everyone so afraid of that. Even an old Republican like myself can see that. Obama will be the next president, get used to it.

• Just me
    July 25, 2008 9:47 a.m.

I was proud to be an American, which has not happened often in the past 8 years, by the way, with Bush and his regime, when I heard Obama speak. He will definitely get my vote. I cringe to think of 4 more years of the same stuff if Mc Cain and GOD FORBID Mitt were to be elected. Obama represents hope where Bush and Mc Cain do not. To those who complain about Democrats and higher taxes just where do you think the money for Iraq is coming from? How many Americans are suffering because money goes there instead. Look at New Orleans...look at US health care. WAKE UP PEOPLE TO SEE THE DANGEROUS POSITION BUSH AND HIS REPUBLICAN CRONIES HAVE DONE TO THE USA...THE USA IS LAUGHED AT NOWADAYS!!! In Europe, people have asked me how Americans could have been so STUPID to vote for Bush twice. Can anyone give them an answer because I cannot

• ER in AF
    July 25, 2008 9:45 a.m.

I may end up voting for Obama, but I certainly resent the guy at 6:11am who suggested that McCain paid for everything and has done nothing. He has served his country in war and in peace. He has ran for president twice and he says it like it is as he sees it. I have stood in the Hanoi Hilton and seen the leg irons that he wore. I live in a country that just this week had a press conference cancelled because the host country was not allowing freedom of the press. I say that becasue this conference was part of a Cindy McCain visit. It warmed my heart that the party refused to participate in the conference unless all press were allowed in. They were not and the Americans did not show up. Great to hold to our guns American! All I hope for this election is that the new President be a true American and continue to lead the world on important issues.

• Dangerous
    July 25, 2008 9:45 a.m.

Obama is the biggest danger America has ever faced, mark my words. Heaven help us if he becomes president.

• Marie Devine
    July 25, 2008 9:42 a.m.

Germany is no exception; people around the world want hope that life will be better. Unfortunately, no candidate is willing to take the direction that will end the wars and create a peaceful prosperous future without bondage, debt, and stress. They don't know how to change.

As long as the candidates have the expectation that the goal in life is employment, they will spend money we work to give them to create more jobs for us and our children. We are going the wrong way; that is bondage and stress.

Solutions to world problems are found when we realize the goal in life is retirement in a garden paradise we create. That solves world problems at the same time. It is easy, quick, fair to all, and long lasting. Leviticus 26 is God's promise of rain in due season for healthy crops, animals, and people.

We must chose the Divine-Way and God will raise up a candidate that will bring it to its fulness. This is the only place we will find change we can really depend on. "Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord."

• Richard Nibbler
    July 25, 2008 9:37 a.m.

Re: Thanks Obama - I can NOT love him because of his lack of experience, his silk-tongue and his lack of actual plans to address issues. And, for the simple fact that he's a Democrat and that the Democrat-led Congress has to do anything of substance over the nearly two-years they've had control. So, you take an ineffective Democrat-controlled Congress, and team them up with a Democrat President, and what do you get - more futility.

I'm certainly not a fan of McCain either, but he is the lesser of two evils, and is a more middle-of-the-road Republican, so perhaps he can somehow bring the two parties together and get some things done.

I remember all the promises the Democrats made when they took control of Congress, and I see now how many of those promises have gone unfilled and how little they've actually been able to accomplish. What they have accomplished is driving our economy into the toilet (that's right - Bush doesn't get all the credit for this).

• OK
    July 25, 2008 9:29 a.m.

To all you Obama Kool-Aid drinkers-Don't come crying to those of us that can see thru his empty shirt when he takes us closer to the New World Order than GW did. Don't come crying to us when your taxes go to 75%. Don't come crying to us when you get Universal Health Care and you have to wait for 6 months or greater to be seen only to be seen and no care actually given. Don't come crying to us when the Constitution gets trample to depths not even dreamed of with GW. Keep up your drinking of the Kool-Aid without any real in depth knowledge of the lack of caracter in this guy and you will get exactly what you are hoping for, and that is CHANGE, Change to total destruction of the USA.

July 25, 2008 9:28 a.m.

Here's why 99.9999% of all American's are gonna VOTE for the McCain / Mitt ticket in 2008

SORRY OBAMAISM - Obama was channeling Ronald Reagan today. Well, we knew Ronald Reagan, Senator Obama, and you're not in his league.

• Won't vote MCCAIN
    July 25, 2008 9:10 a.m.

After reading how John McCain dumped his first wife and kids so that he could chase after 20-something year old Cindy, I definately won't vote for the guy.

I read an article online about how Nancy Reagan hates McCain for the way that he cheated on his wife. He was in his 40s, and having an afair with Cindy who was in her 20s. What a guy...

• Thanks Obama
    July 25, 2008 9:10 a.m.

I agree with the person who thinks that Obama is better than sliced bread, cold milk, and cookies. Obama IS the best thing to happen to the United States in a LONG, LONG time. We desperately need his education, his insights, and his appeal. We desperately need to restore our standing in the world. I'm so glad to see Obama is doing something to make that happen. How can you NOT love him?

• NOBAMA
    July 25, 2008 9:06 a.m.

Breath of fresh air?! Tell me SPECIFICALLY what is so appealing about him.You have no idea what he will do. And don't give me that drivel about "better than Bush,get back our respect, blah,blah.blah!! What will Obama do about the economy?RAISE TAXES, THAT"S IT!That is always the Dems answer.Gas prices? Obama and his droids say"We need an alternate fuel".What alternate fuel? What will replace over 50 million barrels of oil a day that the world uses?Obama will keep saying that and all the while we pay over $4.00 a gallon for gas.Obama and the Dems are in the tank with the Enviro-nazis.This is good news for them.And there will be no landslide victory.The grown-ups will show up for this election.And the Bradley affect will tell the story at the end of the day!

• Holy Cannoli, Batman
    July 25, 2008 9:03 a.m.

"Ich bein ein baklava."

• Obama Supporter
    July 25, 2008 9:02 a.m.

It's so fun to see all the haters spewing their hatred for Obama, and making their silly comments like "the few handfuls of Germans that came to see Obama" when it was actually over 200,000 people. His incredible success must be driving them absolutely crazy--and there's not a thing that they can do about it--except complain.

Come November, all those states outside of Utah are simply going to raise up and save us from ourselves. It doesn't even bother me that I live in Utah any more, I can still depend on those other U.S. citizens. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!! YES, WE CAN!!!

• blinded by reality
    July 25, 2008 8:57 a.m.

Those still clinging to Neoconism are blind to the reality of liberal internationalism - interdependence.
    Go back to the 50's where you came from, Neocons!
    It's a new, progressive, liberal world - and it's beautiful to behold!
    Kumbaya ...

• What if?
    July 25, 2008 8:45 a.m.

What if we sent Obama to run for EU President? It sounds as if that is just what he was doing! He could care less about America and it showed very plain as he totally dis'd the wounded soldiers there. What a farce Obama is.

• To Chuck yawns
    July 25, 2008 8:44 a.m.

Go ahead and yawn. The enormous volume of cheers I heard when Obama spoke are indicative of new hope in the human heart. You can yawn at that if you want to, but I find your yawns unpersuasive. Now go take a nap and let the rest of us move into the future.

• Landslide
    July 25, 2008 8:44 a.m.

It will be a landslide victory for Obama come november without one doubt. I would think that intelligent people would take a page from his book and see why he is so appealing in our country and abroad. Just reflect back voters and see how far we have fallen in the last 8 years. Lost foreign respect, lost our economy, and finally lost too many lives both here and abroad on an invasion that we were lied about to begin with. What a breath of fresh air Obama is over what we have now.

• German Leaders
    July 25, 2008 8:38 a.m.

I personally don't want Germany to pick my leaders I don't think they have a good track record, also I don't think Europes' approval should be that important look at the mess that is over there

• Chuck YAWNS here :-0
    July 25, 2008 8:17 a.m.

The few handfull of German people that was there at Obamaism's concert tour are just curious to see The Messiah. That's why they're there. They are getting drunk on beer and eating bratwurst watching the lights and cameras. The other thousand's of people there was the American News Media folks. Obamaism's is out there saying that poverty and racism in Somalia breeds the terrorists of the future, which is an absolute lie. He's just dead wrong about it. But despite that, where is Obama? Obama is in Germany. Germany is where, ladies and gentlemen? It is in Europe, and we all need to be more like Europeans, right? We need to stop embarrassing the Europeans. Every time I hear a Democrat start talking about sacrifice, I know exactly what that means: increase taxes. And he's talking about raising taxes all over the world now, tearing down imaginary walls?. That is just tacky, trying to rip off Reagan here, and tear down all these imaginary walls.

Vote for McCain and Mitt in 2008

Obamaism's done.

He lost.

July 25, 2008 8:06 a.m.

Obama wants to lead more than the United States. He wants to lead the progessive NEW WORLD ORDER! He makes me sick.

• nobama
    July 25, 2008 8:05 a.m.

To that uninformed individual that stated McCain has done nothing,and a rich boy. You need to start researching and stop shooting from the hip. The first thing McCain did was get beaten and humiliated by Communists in Vietnam!He has served this country honorably in the Senate these past 18 years. Obama was busy organizing ACORN meetings with people who loved it when McCain was tortured in Vietnam!And now this same Obama is getting a free ride from the press in this country.It is a sad day when haters of this country are worshipped by uninformed or those who simply don't care "BORG MINDED" people here.

• Not as easily led
    July 25, 2008 8:05 a.m.

A politician stands in front of 300,00 cheering Germans in Berlin and captivates the audience. The German press write that he wants to be "president of the world."
    Is this 2008 or 1938?

• Zell
    July 25, 2008 7:58 a.m.

I think Obama's speach is great but he is running for office in the wrong country! He should run for chancellor of Germany. After all he wants to ban guns, take away freedom of speech (fairness doctrine), redistribute wealth through massive tax hikes, make us slaves of the state by impossible energy dreams and global warming propositions. I think he resembles that dark haired chacellor from the thirties in Germany. Hum, what was his name now.....?

• sob
    July 25, 2008 7:31 a.m.

i think this was an excellent first step in trying to rebuild relationships in a part of the world where we have insulted and disrespected our former closest allies. this is "the old europe" that the evil dick
    said was not needed as we went on our rampage to grab the best oil patch in iraq. we called them "freedom fries" because the french suggested we send in inspectors with a mandate to inspect rather then troops, then if we found weapons invade. guess what the french were right, no wmd. but we still act like the europeans were insulting us, not the other way around, good to see that our relationships will be vastly improved shortly after jan 20 09.

• Tom Paine
    July 25, 2008 7:30 a.m.

Obama looked very presidential, very statesmanlike. After 8 years of the Bush administration, and Republican attitudes of "you're either with us or against us", aggressiveness, beligerance, and fear tactics, it's refreshing to see an American statesman who understands the concepts of cooperation and respect for others. McCain will never attempt to give a speech like Obama just did. McCain would come across as old, boring, out of touch, and more of the same Bush policies, and would be lucky to get 200 to attend.

• Obama...
    July 25, 2008 7:29 a.m.

Let's see: Obama is loved in Germany, respected in the middle east... and we should vote for a guy who said, "I don't understand economics" (yes, McCain did say that... hmmmmmm).

Obama in November.

• CTObserver
    July 25, 2008 7:27 a.m.

You folks have to remember that the Germans were also mesmerized by Hitler. The are easily persuaded by a charismatic speaker. I wouldn't trust who they support given their history. Don't people investigate what Obama has done or should I say hasn't done! His whole approach and the reaction by so many of his supporters goes to show you that stupidity/ignorance is still the number one uncurable disease. It looks like there is a contagious epidemic in Europe and it has been spreading like wildfire here in the US. I sure hope people come to their senses before this egotistical maniac who thinks he'll rule the world is elected. Come on people wake up to reality.

• Overseas
    July 25, 2008 7:18 a.m.

McCain goes overseas because perception has it that one of his strong points is foreign relations and the war on terror. He wants to attempt to weaken Obama by traveling internationally and showing off his strong points.

The perception of Obama, a 1st term Senator, is that he is very weak on foreign matters. So he is traveling internationally to strengthen this weakness. Come Fall and the campaigns intensify Obama wants these international trips to strengthen his weakness.

Obama draws a crowd in Europe because he is the democratic candidate. Bush (Republican) is in the White House--Europe is more left leaning, it seems, and they do not like the war in Iraq, so it is not a surprise that they favor Obama.

Obama draws a huge crowd, perhaps, because he is historic. The first black man to be a major nominated candidate for president. He also presents well. For the many people who don't bother to be well informed, don't read newspapers, don't think deeply about society and history, these people can easily be won simply by presentation. That is why Obama's gaffes, lapses in judgment, and poor policy proposals don't matter to them. They like him because of presentation.

• Lee
    July 25, 2008 7:02 a.m.

Not only did he bash his own country, he has cancelled his visitation to our wounded soldiers in Germany.His arrogance to assume a presidential mantle points to what kind of leader he is.With the Clinton machine out of his way, he has now assumed the "entitlement" that Hillary once possessed. Those of you that are his ardent supporters,be advised that without a sript or prompt in front of him, he is indeed an empty suit. He did nothing in that "speech" yesterday than to plagiarize JFK & Reagan.And not to forget, how about that opening racial remark he made? He is picking up where Bill Clinton left off.So there were 200,000 supporting fans with him at the Brandengurg Gate? Hmm, reminds me of another time in history where that scene played out to another crowd of "hopefuls".

• Ultra Bob
    July 25, 2008 6:53 a.m.

Barack Obama is so popular because he represents hope for the world, something Republicans have destroyed.

July 25, 2008 6:43 a.m.

Way to go Obama!
    Cut through all the ideological BS Neocons have been shelling out to the world and get to the heart of the matter -
    Interdependence.

• Is he a candidate for the world?
    July 25, 2008 6:20 a.m.

I didn't know that the German people could vote for Obama. Wow! Our elections must be held in many places of the world, that I didn't know about. Seems our servicemen overseas can't vote, but now Obama is trying to garner European votes. Who knew, our servicemen and women aren't afforded the same opportunities to vote in our elections as the Europeans. McCain was down South America way trying to increase his election numbers. I was unaware we had world-wide elections. Makes me wonder.

• Correction
    July 25, 2008 6:19 a.m.

Terrorism exists? 12:37 - Your understanding of the Democrats beliefs on terrorism is wrong. They understand that it exists and they are serious about bringing an end to it. That's why they support finishing the job in Afghanistan where the leader of terrorism is still hiding out now some 7 years after he masterminded an attack on America.

Anonymous 12:47 If you read the full text of Obama's speech you will find that he didn't criticize America, he simply acknowledged that there are some misperceptions on both sides of the Atlantic and that we need each other if we are going to stop terrorism because no nation, regardless of how strong they are, can do it alone. Many of the major arrests of terrorists in the past several years have come from intelligence gathered by the police and national security forces in European nations.

• Torture
    July 25, 2008 6:18 a.m.

What is with this false notion that the USA is the motherland of all torture? I'm so sick of Democrats feeding this nonsense to the rest of the world. The USA has actually been quite restrained on the War on Terror. It's a shame to see Obama propagating this lie even further to the Europeans. Did anyone notice how no one clapped when Obama discussed how the rest of the free world needs to help fight against terrorism, yet everyone what crazy with applause when he indirectly bashed America for being the Evil Empire of Torture?

• intrigued
    July 25, 2008 6:18 a.m.

Obama goes overseas and is a hit. And bloggers complain?? Seriously, folks, can Bush lead? Obama is the best thing since sliced bread!! We might even get the world to appreciate us in the future, listen to us, help us, etc. Obama is better than cold milk and cookies.

He looked presidential and acted presidential because he is presidential material. The only thing McCain could do overseas is sing, "bomb, bomb, bomb Iran."

We are very fortunate to have Obama at this very critical juncture of our nation's history. He will choose a very intelligent and experienced vp. Just wait.

McCain? He will choose a mid aged white guy who makes McCain look good and elderly: that is the man's only hope.

Obama, send him to the Olympics and upstage the Chinese.

• McCain Eat your heart out
    July 25, 2008 6:11 a.m.

Nouthing worse than a doubter that knows nothing to start with
    Quite clear the old way was not the way to go
    Getting the World together is the way to go
    If Obama is the World President?
    So Be IT!
    He is showing McCain, and doing a great job
    Obama is very well educated, McCain is just a rich boy on the block
    Paid for everything and did nothing in his life

• liberal Larry
    July 25, 2008 5:53 a.m.

Isn't it nice to see an American leader who is respected in the rest of the world.

• American in Germany
    July 25, 2008 5:39 a.m.

I have to agree with some of the things "Annonymous" 12:46 wrote. I saw the speech live over here in Germany and there was a huge response. I wouldn't go as far as to say that Obama criticized the government--at least not in a malicious way. He (or his advisors) seem to be well aware of the attitudes that exist here in Germany and the rest of Europe and he was simply addressing those. While I really don't know whether Obama will get my vote or not, I must say that whoever becomes president needs to have better foreign relations. I'm not sure it was a good move for Obama to have come to Berlin or not, but the response was so massive that it could possibly have an effect on the election if McCain doesn't attempt something similar now. I could be wrong...I guess it depends, too, on how much US media coverage there was of the event and how much weight voters place on the ability of the candidates in foreign relations.

• Smoke and mirrors
    July 25, 2008 4:44 a.m.

It doesn't say much for the international audience that it can be captivated by political platitudes such as "This is our time," or "This is our day to make a difference," or "we need change," which were used repeatedly throughout this speech. No explanations were offered, no definition of change given nor apparently demanded by the crowd, just a lot of generalized feel-good statements to enthrall the lazy masses. Unfortunately the world is getting exactly what it demands of its leaders: shallow platitudes, telegenic bearing, and promises no logical person could possibly expect will be kept.

• euro trash
    July 25, 2008 3:40 a.m.

Obama was cheered by 300,000+ people, Bush would be jeered by 300,000+ people. It ain't just a spelling error...

• So What
    July 25, 2008 1:46 a.m.

Obama had a great chance to visit injured troops but he said it wasn't right during a campaign stop. What was this all about? Didn't he visit the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan during his big photo-op? Why not visit the troops in Germany? How come these and other questions aren't being asked by the media? How come you Obama Kool-Aid drinkers aren't asking the same questions?

July 25, 2008 1:35 a.m.

I heard Obama's speech. It was centered around America supporting Berlin in 1948 with the air lift. I didn't hear this criticism of America.

I think Germans where impressed hearing a potential president who could speak English. After, Bush, Obama seems every articulate.

• Annonymous
    July 25, 2008 12:46 a.m.

"Maybe we can have some peace now" I wasn't aware that there was a lack of peace in Germany. I am glad to see Obama rally these nations in favor of fighting despotism and terroist because until now we have seen little help from our Western Europe allies. However, not great to go abroad and criticize your own government and President, whose father was instrumental in bringing down that Berlin wall. This is all propaganda. Senator Obama has yet to prove himself a capable leader.

• What German press said
    July 25, 2008 12:42 a.m.

From Spiegle, a German magazine:

"Anyone who saw Barack Obama at Berlin's Siegessule on Thursday could recognize that this man will become the 44th president of the United States. He is more than ambitious -- he wants to lay claim to become the president of the world."

• Terrorism exists?
    July 25, 2008 12:37 a.m.

I thought that Democrats didn't believe that terrorism existed, nor that it was a threat to our way of living?