Real Salt Lake: RSL signs midfielder/defender Russell

• Tyler
    July 26, 2008 2:08 p.m.

As a founding memeber of The Cutlery, I'd just like to say Kenny, I love you.

• Real Cougar
    July 25, 2008 9:10 p.m.

Georg,

If you had read my entire post, you would have noticed that my primary pride in our team up top occurs when Espindola is a part of the starting XI. Without him, I will agree, we have been less than stellar... Findley is great, but he lags a bit too early for a great starter; hence, the perfect "spark off the bench." And I love Deuchar's skills as much as anyone, but he's a complimentary player. Espindola was the primary focus of my last post. Sorry I didn't communicate that well enough.

Beltran is young... it's a sorry excuse, but an excuse nonetheless. Why don't we get him more experience with the Reserves, then, and put somebody with experience (possibly Russell, since he can "play seven positions") for the rest of the year. I think Beltran will be a great player, but the truth is, right now, he isn't.

Bye, Bye Cutler? Can I get a Bye Bye?

• georg
    July 25, 2008 8:45 p.m.

Real Cougar; It may be best for you to go back to watching football american style.
    RSL does not have a strong group of players upfront, Look at our scoring output since Espindola went out. As to Beltran he is still a young player who has shown alot of skill and control, sure he has made some mistakes but give him a chance he will be a solid part of this team. The only point you made that I can agree with, is Cutler. He has shown very little and I really do not see a huge upside of keeping him.

• Juice Box Guy
    July 24, 2008 2:05 p.m.

Funny thing about the complaints about Borghetti is that they sound very similiar about what people said about Blanco prior to him coming to MLS. Sounds like Chicago is really regretting having Blanco right? Lets face it, Borghetti would compliment Espindola and Morales well.

• The sad thing
    July 24, 2008 9:35 a.m.

is that over-the-hill, undersized Borgetti would be RSL's best forward.

• Robbie part 2
    July 24, 2008 9:25 a.m.

So he can play in Seven different positions? You think he is just a filler? Or will he land in a specific spot? If I am Joy, or Beltran...I'm a little nervous right now.

Can Beltran play wing?

Bye Bye Cutler.

• Borgetti to Real?
    July 24, 2008 9:07 a.m.

I highly doubt that! Who's blog was it, Ute fan?

• Winger anyone???
    July 24, 2008 8:36 a.m.

Does any one know if one of the three midfield positions he plays is right wing? That would be ideal. I think Olave can cover up any blunders that Wingert and Joy make on the outside (they have horrible recovery speed) and I'd like to see Russell go to town on the right flank and hit crosses TO our forwards. That would be fun for a change (I'm tired of watching Wingert make "runs" and hit crosses to no one ).

And, as a side note... if RSL management is listening... please don't sign Borgetti. The league already has too many flopping and diving old mexican players (Blanco is too much for me). We don't need Borghetti... and I don't think he is that good a player. I mean, he is great in Mexico... but he transferred to England and didn't play more than 90 min total while he was their. The refs just didn't put up with his shenanigans (thank goodness).

Please... find anyone else... heck, go to Africa, there is plenty of talent over there... just ask the Revs, Columbus, even Portsmouth, Chelsea, and Arsenal have loads of African based talent... just not Borghetti!!!

Go REal!!

• Juice Box Guy
    July 23, 2008 11:30 p.m.

Saw a rumor on a blog regarding Jared Borghetti coming to RSL. Hope he is the guy who is a forward that we have in mind. From what it looks like with Russell, I am sure we wont be the highest paid player on the team. It will add more depth to the mid and defense (not that we really need more depth on defense). Maybe Garth is thinking ahead to the new stadium where on the much bigger field we will need more speed on defense.

• REAL Ulty fan
    July 23, 2008 10:08 p.m.

This guy should bring an immediate impact to the field. If he plays midfield with Findley up front, it is going to be difficult for teams to keep up with these speedy players. Hopefully, he can service the ball to Dr. Goal. Dr. Goal is always dangerous, he just needs time to adjust this season. From what I have heard, Russell is a solid player.

• Real Cougar
    July 23, 2008 8:55 p.m.

Rather than a new Forward, RSL just needs all of the Forwards to get healthy again. With Espindola and Deuchar starting, Findley as the usual midpoint backup, and "emergency" time from Nunez and Movsisyan, RSL has a great forward attack.

I'm as happy as the rest to see a guy with European experience in the backline. Especially if he can fill in for the disaster that is turning into Tony Beltran. And if he can take the place of Kenny Cutler, I think we got a great deal! Now, we've just got to trade this red headed mess!!!

• Err.. . .
    July 23, 2008 7:57 p.m.

It's NOT a good policy to turn down solid players, that is.

• We do need a forward
    July 23, 2008 7:57 p.m.

But it's a good policy to turn down solid players who show up at my door. At worst, this gives RSL tradebait (the guys who will be displaced by Russell for minutes) if they need it.

• Forward
    July 23, 2008 7:52 p.m.

We need a forward!

• Go RSl
    July 23, 2008 5:12 p.m.

Sweet!!! I have been waiting for some good transfer news. I can't wait to see him in the line up.
    GO RSL!!!

• Horrace
    July 23, 2008 5:11 p.m.

Maybe they'll use him as a winger now. I hope

• Robbie & Robbie
    July 23, 2008 4:54 p.m.

The Fast and the Furious

• I am excited about this guy...
    July 23, 2008 4:53 p.m.

...down the last stretch, we need a few solid replacements should any of our starters get lazy, or injured.

Also...I think that Garth mentioned now we can go after the attacking player.

Excellent.

• Sweet
    July 23, 2008 4:51 p.m.

...more solid experience.

This is a good signing.

• TClark
    July 23, 2008 4:51 p.m.

Great Signing!!!

• Nate
    July 23, 2008 4:33 p.m.

Sweeeeet! A fast midfielder. I wonder how well his crosses are. Will he be able to service the good Dr.'s head?