Mom admits to baby's death

• Mother in Florida
    July 25, 2008 7:56 a.m.

I would first like to start on we love to cast out stones without checking our own back yard. Why is it that we want to be forgiven and when someone NEEDS to be forgiven we can't?

There are no words that I can say to you or your family, but that Heavenly Father wants you to forgive yourself and continue to be the best mother you can be to the children you have here on earth. All of this negative junk, leave it in the closet with the door locked. Remember people who judge don't matter. We all make mistakes and wish we could have done things differently, the only difference is that we all know what you've done but you can't see what we've done.

Heavenly Father has your son now and he is safe. You will be able to see him and be with him again but until then be faithful and keep your head up. I wish I could be there and just give you a hug from one mother to another.

You and your family are in our prayers.

• k
    July 17, 2008 6:25 p.m.

Everyone, let's get Susan Atkins out of jail so she can die in peace!!!!!! She "forgot" she was killing, and she had a lot going on that day!! Come on everyone, to the court rooms!

• unbelievable
    July 16, 2008 9:54 p.m.

People who leave dogs to die in hot cars get jail time but people who leave babies to die in hot cars get parenting classes?!

There is something seriously wrong with this.

• Ellie
    July 16, 2008 9:37 p.m.

I have never understood how people can "forget" they have their child with them. There is NO excuse for what happened to Daniel Hadley, I don't care how many reasons the judge gave for his mother's neglect. Yeah she had a lot going on that day but at the top of the list should have been taking care of her son. That child should have been Kamilyn Hadley's priority and he died because he wasn't. And she should face a harsher punishment than some parenting classes. Do I think she should be in jail the rest of her life? No. But negligent homicide laws exist for a reason, because if an accident was completely preventable somebody should be held accountable for their negligence. Daniel Hadley's death was completely preventable and his mother is responsible for it.

• You get a life!
    July 15, 2008 10:27 p.m.

How can you say that she's not a child killer when she was too "busy", or "preoccupied" to the point that she was single handedly responsible for her child's death. No amount of lame excuses are good enough to cover for what she did.

• Get a life, people!
    July 15, 2008 9:13 p.m.

For everyone who is complaining about the outcome of this sad situation, get a life! Instead of wasting your time chastising this poor woman, why don't you go out and do some good for this family? All of them are suffering from this unfortunate accident. This woman is NOT a child killer! Shame on you! Don't you have any mercy? I bet if this situation happened to you, you'd be wishing others would have some compassion. And putting this lady in the same category as terrorists and rapists is appalling! Anonymous should be ashamed of him/herself.
    And yes...I would "defend", as you put it, this woman if she was white, black, brunette, rich or poor, or even gay! You weren't there in the courtroom, so you don't know the full story. People like you should re-evaluate your morals.

• Judge
    July 15, 2008 8:03 p.m.

This Judge is a good Judge. He is one that should be voted back on the bench. Everyone makes a mistake that can cost dearly. Most of us have experienced it but have been forgiven by circumstance only.

• Anonymous
    July 15, 2008 8:05 p.m.

Plenty of people feel sorry for their crimes after the fact. Plenty of people who go to jail have jobs & families. Suffering--mentally, emotionally, economically--should not give anyone a "get out of jail free" card. It's pathetic that people get away with killing a child by claiming they were stressed/distracted and that they've already suffered enough.

I wonder how many people who defend this woman would do the same if she were an illegal immigrant or someone who appeared less sympathetic (i.e., less "like me," less blond, not middle class).

To those who say, "judge not," do you apply this same philosophy to child rapists? To terrorists? At what point do you start actually condemning people who do terrible things? Where is the line?

• ????
    July 15, 2008 6:32 p.m.

What if she had made the conscious decision to abort this baby just a few months earlier when she was carrying him. I'll bet that many of you who are so judgmental about her "accident" would then defend her her "choice" to death.

It's obvious the child was wanted - leave her the heck alone - go watch out for your own kids.

• judge was too lenient
    July 15, 2008 6:17 p.m.

I don't believe the jugde bought into this. having a lapse in judgement is a normal thing...when it occurs under normal events. an example would be forgetting to blow out a candle, and having your house burn down. However, leaving a poor defenseless, inadequate baby in the car in 130 degree heat is not a lapse of judgement, it is pure stupidity, and murder. How can you forget your child for 2 hours in scorching heat? "oh I was stressed that day." Big deal. we all get stressed,so does that mean we can neglegently leave our childeren in the middle of the freeway, or neglegenty put an infant on a boat with no lifejacket, and leave them on utah lake for 2 hours on a raft while we chit chat about our stress to a girlfriend. Pleeeeeze. This mother is a discrace to parents everywhere, and she should have recieved a harsher punishment. She's an adult, and needs to think and act like one.

• Spiff
    July 15, 2008 4:31 p.m.

No excuses on this one. No free pass, no mulligan.

• no need to judge
    July 15, 2008 4:02 p.m.

No need for the rest of us to judge because the consequence already followed this action. Consequences are more stinging that judgement from others.

It is a big responsibility to be responsible for another's life when one becomes a parent. I think there is a tendancy to just keep chewing gum and bring the kid a long but it is a grave responsibility to have a helpless young one for whom to care. Since this kind of thing doesn't happen a lot, I think we as parents don't realize how fragile these young lives can be or how we can adversely affect life. I've learned from my son's near death experience and I'd say I'm much more cautious and vigilant. I was lucky to know how to save his life and undo what I had done originally in innocent ignorance.....

• CP
    July 15, 2008 2:47 p.m.

To re:cp @ 8:09am: I never said I was perfect. I just said that my babies were my top priority, that's all, and one's children should be the top priority of any parent; before a job, groceries, friends, anything. I never said she should do jail time cause that would be very cruel. So you may think what you may. I do feel for this lady and her family cause she will suffer quite a bit.

• To D,M.K. @ 12:22
    July 15, 2008 2:22 p.m.

You ask a good question. I have wondered if it would be helpful to videotape some type of public service announcement to play on TV during the summer months, on many different channels, interviewing mothers/fathers of children who have died under these circumstances, urging all parents to be more aware of their own children. It could provide a helpful reminder to busy parents, and might also be a healing factor for the parents who have suffered a loss. I don't know if any of the parents would be willing to do this voluntarily. It might be well to include it in the requirements of the court as a community service project. But hearing from the parents who have lost children, pleading with other parents to be careful with their own children, might get the word out. This could also include some of the parents who have run over their children in the driveway, which also seems to be happening more often. Few parents intentionally harm their children. Most often it is because of being in a hurry, being distracted by problems going on, etc. We all need to take time to be more aware of our surroundings.

• To anonymous @ 1:51
    July 15, 2008 2:11 p.m.

So you want to tear apart an already stressed family, remove a mother from other children who are already suffering, reduce the income for a family who is probably already having financial difficulties? Why? For what purpose? Would it bring the baby back? No. Mrs. Hadley is suffering far more in her own mind than any jail sentence would cause. Justice must be tempered with mercy. Do other people ever learn from the mistakes of one person? Doesn't seem like it, as children left in cars goes on and on. Drive-by shootings go on, assaults go on, robberies go on, even though all of them are punished by jail or prison sentences. Kudos to the judge and attorneys for showing compassion along with justice in this case. Parenting counseling will be good to help avoid future problems, and also to help this family heal. I hope they will love and support each other, and that family and friends will do the same. Save the judging for God.

• Anonymous
    July 15, 2008 1:51 p.m.

I can't believe people are defending this child killer! Being stressed or distracted is no excuse for what she did. Yes, we all make mistakes, but some mistakes are bigger than others, and that is why we have terms like "negligent homicide" in the legal system. Unfortunately, the message sent by this court is that if you are sorry enough, you can escape the most serious legal consequences of your actions. Somehow I think parents would suddenly be a lot less forgetful if a crime like this resulted in a mandatory jail sentence.

• Samantha
    July 15, 2008 12:29 p.m.

I had some forgetful moments as a mother - after the birth of my 6th child, a beautiful girl, I was handwashing some of her cute little outfits. I put them in my laundry room sink and started filling the sink with water, and then ran somewhere else in the house for a minute. The minute became more like 20 and I discovered a flood on the beautiful hardwood floor of my laundry room, complete with temporary swelling of the wood. I did this twice. I was shocked by my "lack of brain cells".

I cannot judge this woman. The loss of this child is enormous! It cannot be recouped. The pain and suffering this woman and her husband will and have felt could tear apart individually and as a couple -but this can be recouped. After the pain and suffering and learning lesson has passed, hopefully they will, as a couple and individually be able to find peace and wisdom from this experience.

• D.M.K.
    July 15, 2008 12:22 p.m.

So, how do we stop these tragedies from happening without taking a single case and turning it into the whipping post or poster lady for preventing this stuff?

What is to be done that will get results without unduly discriminating against one case while prior cases have been dealt with more leniently?

• DonQuixote
    July 15, 2008 10:52 a.m.

We all have lapses in judgment. We forget to turn off the iron, we forget to flush, or we forget to pay a bill. But how does someone "forget" to take out a child from a car on a hot summer day? What about the friend? Didn't the friend wonder where the kid was? I hope that all the "stressed" parents out there learn from this. Don't stretch yourself too thin that you forget your kid in the car!

• So Sad
    July 15, 2008 10:33 a.m.

This is such a sad story... the poor baby, I can only imagine how he felt sweltering helplessly in the heat! The mother did the right thing... she is taking responsibility for her actions... the death of her son is the worst punishment.

• So Sad
    July 15, 2008 10:20 a.m.

Everyone makes mistakes that they know are stupid afterwards. It's only by sheer luck, I suppose, that something like that doesn't happen more often. All of us parents can sympathize with a choice that was made during a lapse of thought.

The poor mother. I hope she can someday forgive herself.

• Anonymous
    July 15, 2008 10:05 a.m.

No person in this world is perfect. So those of you passing judgment and making cruel comets need to take a good long look in the mirror. It is not our place to judge anyone elses circumstances, so back off.

The Hadley family has been through unimaginable loss and despair. Yes, it could have been prevented, but it happened. Now they have to move on with their lives.

God Bless the Hadley family.

• Raising 4 kids
    July 15, 2008 9:35 a.m.

Stress can do strange things to your mind. My sister and I were in a downtown SLC mortuary one June day preparing my grandmother's body for her funeral when someone asked my sister where her baby was. My sister screamed and ran back out to the car where her new, 2-month-old baby had been sleeping for 1/2 an hour. Luckily, no one had taken him because the windows were down, but luckily the windows were down on that summer afternoon. It could happen to anyone, even those who think they are the best parents. If it hasn't happened to you, you're lucky.

• Marva Pothier
    July 15, 2008 9:11 a.m.

My most earnest prayers are for this family. I don't know them but I do know the tragedy this is for them. They are also victims of this very sad, tragic incident. May we extend love and support to help them go forward with courage and comfort.

• Anonymous
    July 15, 2008 8:58 a.m.

God bless and be with you Kamilyn.

• Anonymous
    July 15, 2008 8:27 a.m.

Poor woman. She looks like she aged 30 years in one month. I talked to my daugther who is a teen about this last night and showed her the pictures posted in this article. "Be always aware of your babies or you will be like this woman". That's the message to all those babies' mothers. Be aware. Let's make this baby's death the last one under those circunstances.

Peace be with you.

• re:cp
    July 15, 2008 8:09 a.m.

CP someday we will all be as perfect as you.

Mr. and Mrs. Hadley I'm very sorry for your loss. You have accepted full repsonsiblity for this tragedy which is a great example to other parents who have experienced the same tragedy but refuse to own their mistakes. I'm hoping in time you'll be able to forgive yourselves.

Shame on the media because this story was first reported as a accident by a self centered mother.

• CP
    July 15, 2008 5:25 a.m.

Yes, I agree she was negligent and I hope she learns something in those parenting classes. No, she shouldn't spend jail time, she will more then likely put herself in her own prison for the rest of her life. I read the article where she noted about everything going on in her life at the time of this horrible inncident. But, I can say it's still no excuse. Because I had 2 babies at the time we were moving into a new house and my husband was also getting used to a new job. I NEVER once forgot my babies. They were with me 100% of the time. My top priority. And I even moved in the summer and what more before we could even move in we had to do major fix up on the new house which added to my stress, but my babies were always with me and those babies today are now grown. So one can make excuses but there are none.

• Sad
    July 15, 2008 4:08 a.m.

While this is definitely a tragedy, it is crucial that we not judge this Mother. Tragic accidents happen to good people. I agree with the judge, that she must be a good Mother. She made a mistake. No one should cast stones. I pray for her to find comfort in her years ahead, as they will most definitely be difficult...she has been punished plenty...I'm sorry for her and in her picture here, I can feel her pain. We need to be Christ like and have compassion not only on the dear child she lost, but Kamily Hadley and the rest of her family as well.

In this day and age...it is most important to ask, "What would Jesus Do?"

Love and be kind and save the harsh comments, no one needs to hear or read them.