Walker resignation ends Utah legislative probe

New complaint may be filed against unnamed GOP leader

• Steve B.
    July 9, 2008 4:28 p.m.

This is the example good Latter-day Saints are setting in the leadership of this State!

I have said it all along, the social club and old boys' network that IS the LDS Church is as corrupt as they come. Only if you can break the stranglehold the Church has on State politics will you ever be able to eliminate this kind of "I know a guy" corruption.

• Ruby
    July 8, 2008 10:02 p.m.

Did anyone ask to see the "rule" which legislative counsel (keep in mind that is LEGISLATIVE counsel, they keep their jobs at the Legislature's pleasure) references when he said that "the complaint must be dismissed because Rep. Walker resigned?" Is that a written rule? It should have been cited in dismissing the complaint. Rep. Allen?

• Dear Judy 11:11
    July 8, 2008 3:06 p.m.

Let's put it THIS way:
    Sen. Obama can fill entire stadiums just about where ever he goes.
    McCain's last fundraiser in Utah had to be changed from a large hall in Little America to somebody's private residence.

• One Party System
    July 8, 2008 2:41 p.m.

The one-party system V was referring to is within the State of Utah, not the US Congress. Absolute power, unchecked, corrupts absolutely, and boy, have we had a one-party system with absolute power here in our Great State.

• Judy
    July 8, 2008 11:11 a.m.

Dear "Anonymous and you think the Democrats are any better"DUH!

• Just Walk-er Away
    July 8, 2008 10:34 a.m.

Brilliant. Couldn't buy his way through the political process, but he got a rebate on the ethics. Typically Republican ethics at work - talk all high and mighty but they're dirty little pigs when comes right down to it.

• 2 "I'm voting Democrat. | 12:03"
    July 8, 2008 8:45 a.m.

You should be voting for the person, not the party. If all you can do is vote for the party you think is less corrupt, without even knowing anything about the person you are voting for, we would all be better off if you didn't vote.

PS. If you've been watching politics since the Reagan era and think Democrats are clean as the driven snow... you don't have a very good memory.

Neither "Party" is immune to corruption. Vote for the best candidate, not the best party.

• What?
    July 8, 2008 12:52 a.m.

To Short List 8:47, You claim that Steve Baugh is a conservative democrat yet you fail to mention that Steve has been at the helm of the BYU Public School Partnership which has worked with relative ease in getting tons of money from the state with little or no public oversight, and he has pushed the constructivist agenda which has given us Investigations Math. Are you NUTS? Steve is a part of the the problem that plagues our Public School System not the answer. Steve is not a good candidate, er, conservative democrat as you say.

I for one will vote for who is best, regardless of affiliation, not just because he/she is of the democrappic ticket.

• I'm voting Democrat.
    July 8, 2008 12:03 a.m.

This will be the first time I vote Democrat. I was a Reagan teen.

I'm voting Democrat because they seem to be slightly less corrupt than the Republicans.

• fed up
    July 7, 2008 11:59 p.m.

The Utah Republican party is corrupt. That is what happens when power goes unchecked. D&C 121 teaches us that. The responsibility rests on us. People need to stop voting the party line and choose quality candidates regardless of party.

What Walker did was low class. First he tried to sell his integrity for the job of treasurer. When that didn't work he sold his integrity to protect higher-ups who were only interested in using him.

That's a chicken move. I'm glad he's gone. Now out with the rest of the corrupt ones.

• Justin Francom
    July 7, 2008 11:45 p.m.

I was a delegate to the state convention and Ellis was CLEARLY the ONLY competent and qualified choice. However the Utah GOP leadership good old boys all came up and endorsed Walker. They attacked Ellis for being liberal without any evidence or explanation as to why (I talked with Ellis for an hour at a county meeting and grilled him on economic policy and philosophy and he is NOT liberal) and endorsed the unqualified Walker essentially saying "trust us, he is a good man). Well it turns out Walker is NOT a good man, or at the least not good enough to prove he is a good man. I just wish UTAH would wake up and realize that if Walker is corrupt then you can bet all the GOP leadership who endorsed him on his character are at least never again trustworthy and most likely just as bad.

• Over
    July 7, 2008 11:22 p.m.

It seems like Walker got in over his head and other politicians used him like a puppet and it didn't go according to plan. I am sure he is a nice person and I do feel bad for his young family having to go through this.

I am not sure Walker really needs to look for a job for a while. His 54 week severance package from Zion's will cover him for a while. Not a bad deal to get severance when you quit.

I just hope this all goes away now. I am tired of hearing about all of it.

• who'scrying now
    July 7, 2008 10:57 p.m.

What goes around comes around. Think about it...you all thought you were so smart with your money, let's see where you end up now.

• Rich
    July 7, 2008 10:56 p.m.

Jeff,
    Shame on you for pre-judging Richard Ellis, Sheryl Allen and David Irvine. It takes courage to go public with charges because there are always unthinking and prejudiced people who will criticize a whistle blower, even when the whistle blower is right and is performing a public service. Your character assasination of Ellis et al will make it harder for people who have real evidence of wrongdoing to file charges. For that you should be ashamed.

• shades of gray
    July 7, 2008 10:52 p.m.

To all you Walker supporters, get a life. Walker has been shown for what he is. Now he needs to be accountable for his actions. Something he should have been years ago. Don't be a sore loser Mark, get your campaign signs down to start with. Do yourself a favor, let people know who promised you what. And for those of you ragging on Ellis and Empy, they did nothing wrong. Ellis is a straight shooter and knows what is needed to be a good treasurer. The financial community in Utah knows he is the right man for the job. Curtis, Bramble, Clark, Herbert, Shurtleff, Valentine and Bishop should be held accountable for supporting and endorsing an unqualified person for such a position. And let's not forget that all these educated people supported Walker for a position that according to the constitution he clearly could not run for. For Curtis being an attorney, how about a response on this one, or maybe you're too busy trying to divert attention away from you and your buddies, maybe it's time for another trip to Lake Powell. Talk it over next time you're together for breakfast at Mimi's.

• Consistent Hobgoblin
    July 7, 2008 10:03 p.m.

I don't think the Rethuglicans will appoint the GOP house candidate to fill Walker's vacancy for one simple reason. Our principled Lt. Governor will insist on not doing anything that will "impact participation in or the outcome of the election."

• hummm
    July 7, 2008 10:03 p.m.

truth found,,dont to be so quick to think "oh the poor sap". HE may be young but I met the man and he is very arrogant. Watch take 2 one more time and then you will see how much of a bold faced liar he is. It does not matter if he is rich, what matters here is character and intregity.

July 7, 2008 10:01 p.m.

Please tell me this isn't the criminal defense attorney Jim Bradshaw who I know to be a liberal, anti-establishment, purist...and who upholds ideals like representing the downtrodden, the falsely accused, and free-heel skiers? The Jim I know would never hang his shingle on a shack like Curtis'.

• Inoperative Statements
    July 7, 2008 9:50 p.m.

Walkergate continues. A non-denial denial from Curtis - "I refuse to comment on these unfounded, mean-spirited, politically motivated accusations." Translation: I will not say whether they are true or false so I can't get boxed into a story the prosecutors will bust me on later, but I will attack anyone asking me questions. Who writes this stuff for him, Ron Ziegler? There is a cancer growing on the House, Mr. Speaker.

• Truth found
    July 7, 2008 9:42 p.m.

I'm not a hater anymore. I was at first.

I googled him. posted.... then I thought of something that someone mentioned at work to do in these times. I google street viewed his house just to see how wealthy he was... I saw the house. An ordinary house. Just like any house I'd know. Then I realized he probably has kids and a wife and I felt bad for that wife and then thought of what they are going through. His neighborhood. Then I thought if he was LDS how it would feel in a church meeting where people shouldn't point fingers but would.

It's amazing to see things from a point of view closer to home.

After this I'd say anyone who would criticize him would do better looking closer to home. If I had one thing I could do, I'd befriend him.

• Greg Curtis
    July 7, 2008 9:14 p.m.

Now it is up to Sandy voters to do what they should have done 2 years ago. Get out and vote Greg Curtis out of office. This is a guy who is 100% dedicated to Anderson Development, his law firm and 110% dedicated to empowering and enriching Greg Curtis. Zero percent committed to the people in his district, zero percent committed to a two-party system, zero percent committed to civic dialogue, less-than-zero percent committed to democracy.

Ben Winslow, do your job and find out who is the unnamed legislator involved. Let's not speculate just because Greg Curtis's real estate development and campaign contribution generation law firm is controlling Mark Walker's legal defense.

Shame on the party leadership for creating a climate of oligarchy and entitlement that seduced a fine young man such as Mark Walker. Sure, he made mistakes, to which he has admitted. But who put him in the position of arrogant power? Stan Lockhart and Greg Curtis. John Valentine ought to step in and clean up the Republican leadership. He's one of the few statesmen who can do so. Oh that John Huntsman would have shown the leadership at a time of crisis in the party.

• Short list of Conservative Dems
    July 7, 2008 8:47 p.m.

"Do we have any socially conservative dems we could vote for?"

Here's a list of conservative Utah County Democrats:

Steve Baugh - Utah House 58
    Gwyn Franson - Utah House 27
    RaDene Hatfield - Utah Senate 16
    Claralyn Hill - Utah House 62
    Don Jarvis - Utah House 63
    Jim Matheson - U.S. House 2
    Boyd McAffee - Utah House 60
    Ken Peay - Utah Senate 13
    Boyd Petersen - Utah House 64
    Bennion Spencer - U.S. House 3
    Paul Thompson - Utah House 59
    Deon Turley - Utah House 61

I haven't studied candidates outside of Utah County.

But anyone who has a list of conservative Democrats from other counties should post them.

• Try to get all the facts...
    July 7, 2008 8:29 p.m.

Walker's Attorney Works For Curtis,

"James C. Bradshaw. Hmm...why does this name sound so familiar? Oh, that's because James C. Bradshaw works for Curtis' law firm (Hutchings, Baird, Curtis & Astill)."

I thought you were kidding so I did a search of the Utah Bar. It looks like there is only one James C. Bradshaw licensed to practice law in Utah and that is Jim. C. Bradshaw with Brown, Bradshaw & Moffat.

I'm all for rooting out the secret combination that exists in Utah State government but the facts must come to light, not half-truths.

I suspect Mr. Bradshaw was associated with Curtis's law firm since there is only one James C. Bradshaw licensed to practice law in Utah. It's even possible that he does work for Curtis's firm.

"Also, why would an attorney in a firm that assists clients with complex real estate development, transactions and litigation be assigned to represent Walker?"

Jim Bradshaw areas of practice are criminal, civil litigation and professional licensing which means that's the reason they got their buddy to represent him. He probably helps Curtis's firm in terms of licensing and litigation.

"Hmm... See for yourself by doing a search on the firm's name."

• SLReader
    July 7, 2008 8:22 p.m.

This is so fun! The only thing that would make it more fun is if it turns out that the intern was a set up to sink Mascaro. Probably not, but you have to admit that it would be a great twist on the action.

• Better option
    July 7, 2008 8:17 p.m.

Rather than try to secure himself a job through state government, Walker would have been wiser to do what Utah County lawmakers did. Just build a private school with state funds and then hire yourself to run it.

• want to know...
    July 7, 2008 8:09 p.m.

so where were Valentine, Shurtleff (triple threat my ---) and Curtis when walker turned tail and ran? You people that still support walker are crazy, guess that is why you still support a liar!

• lost in DC
    July 7, 2008 8:06 p.m.

V made a comment about social conservatives in the demo party and how we need them in the state house. V listed a number of dems, but none of them served in the state house; they were either elected to the US congress or the governor's mansion. Do we have any socially conservative dems we could vote for?

• jr
    July 7, 2008 7:42 p.m.

Maybe Walker can get his old job back with RC Willey. Did he think the name Walker would save him, for sure Curtis and crowd were not there for him mmmmm

• Anonymous
    July 7, 2008 7:02 p.m.

Ever think that Walker and his family were just tired of this hysteria? Guilty until proven otherwise by the media. A small, targeted pawn in a corrupt character assassination. Not worth the hassle. I'd have resigned long ago.

• Give Me a Break
    July 7, 2008 6:57 p.m.

v said: "Corruption happens when there is a one party system."

Wrong! The US Congress is fairly "balanced" between the 2 major parties, but is horribly corrupt on both sides of the aisle. Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. To limit corruption, limit power.

And Matheson is just as bad as the rest of them. Every move is a political move. He's not middle of the road. He's a fence sitter. (The Obama/Clinton nomination process is just one classic example.) He's not worth a blue dog. He supports Pelosi. I think she is destroying the country faster than the Hastert and folks.

• someone...
    July 7, 2008 6:18 p.m.

re mike richards,, are you kidding me? it take couarage to resign? what? no, let me tell you what courage would be, to stand up for the truth whatever it may be. That is what courage is. I almost felt sorry for the guy until he resigned, any thought that he was not guilty was completely wiped away. I would really like to see who the guy is that he is taking the fall for, I don't think that he has the experience to come up with this by himself , too bad we the voters will never know.

• Anonymous
    July 7, 2008 6:18 p.m.

RE: Mike

I really wonder how well you know Walker if you are calling him a "great person and a wonderful man". He knew exactly what he was doing when he bribed Ellis to advance his political position. He sounds like a spoiled rich kid who thinks he can buy whatever he wants, without thought of the moral and ethical implications. I for one am glad he resigned, but I hope the investigation continues for all involved.

• RE: Mike
    July 7, 2008 5:58 p.m.

Mike, don't kid yourself. Walker destroyed himself. Don't let Walker off for his actions. Lies. Lots and lots of lies. He saved himself from a very embarassing day today. Maybe not permanently, but he at least delayed it.

Where's his accountability with you normally "personal accountability" type republicans? I am bewildered.

• Mike
    July 7, 2008 5:44 p.m.

Mark Walker is a great person and a wonderful man. I will not be voting Republican in this race this fall. The old guard of the Republican Party destroyed him and his reputation, as it was more important for them to elect Richard Ellis than to do what is right. I cannot believe I will actually pull the lever for a democrat this fall.

• democrat
    July 7, 2008 5:35 p.m.

Try the democrats. They might have more moral authority. Isn't that what Utah voters are looking for?

You cut out and they drop charges. what a country!!

• funny stuff
    July 7, 2008 5:29 p.m.

Yeah, right.
    Republicans are always innocent.
    Right is always right.
    Hilarious!
    Absolutely, [bleeping] hilarious!

• Re; He's the innocent
    July 7, 2008 5:23 p.m.

"Ellis is the gutsy good guy in this sorry story. He was given a job offer, in checking (after the offer) he found it was illegal, then he reported it in spite of the fact he knew it would be controversial."

So, that last comma in that last sentence represents 80 days. Don't you think an (...) or (:) or even (.) would be more appropriate?

• Walker's Attorney Works For Curt
    July 7, 2008 5:09 p.m.

According to "Walker's" resignation letter, he states, "It would be appreciated if you could forward any inquiries or requests for information relative to this matter to my counsel James C. Bradshaw." James C. Bradshaw. Hmm...why does this name sound so familiar? Oh, that's because James C. Bradshaw works for Curtis' law firm (Hutchings, Baird, Curtis & Astill). They are obviously aren't sparing any expense in representing Mr. Walker as they have apparently assigned him to the only attorney in the firm who doesn't have his bio listed on their firm's web page. Also, why would an attorney in a firm that assists clients with complex real estate development, transactions and litigation be assigned to represent Walker?

Hmm... See for yourself by doing a search on the firm's name.

• On the other hand
    July 7, 2008 5:01 p.m.

What Walker did was WRONG, but would a Democrat ever resign if they did something on this level? NEVER, and don't tell me that they never do anything on this level, they are constantly bribing the voters with their Robin Hood attitudes towards the wealthy and their desires to WRONGLY tax the wealthy just to make it fair. What a crock... Dems do it all the time but do it on the sly.

I too hope that a lot of housecleaning is done this november and that included getting rid of all of the bad dems also.

On the lighter side... Did you see the Democratic "float" in comparison with the Republican "float" during the Freedom Festival Parade in Provo this past Fourth? What a joke... 3 dems in a VW.... VW.... Built in Germany..... What a joke....

• Re "He's the innocent | 4:24 p.m
    July 7, 2008 5:00 p.m.

Don't vote for Ellis whatever you do.
    - If it takes him 2 months to figure out a bribe is illegal, we don't want him controling our money.
    - If he thought it was OK for 2 months and then got a concience days before the vote, he doesn't have the integrity needed the job.
    - If he thought holding onto the scandal info for 2 months then spring it 2 weeks before the election to ruin the reputation of his competitor, he's not the kind of guy we want in this position.

There are no major technical qualifications for Treasurer that 90% of the CPAs out there don't have. What we need most is honesty and integrity. Ellis doesn't have it in my book (and I'm a conservative).

• Neal Kramer
    July 7, 2008 4:56 p.m.

I can only support the pleas for removing the corruption while we have the chance. The entire Republican leadership must go and now. We need new blood before the whole mess becomes even more difficult to clean up.

Isn't it sad that the Democratic Party is so busy playing martyr that it can't mount a serious challenge to any of the current leadership?

• Evangelicals control Republicans
    July 7, 2008 4:52 p.m.

He's the innocent,

Many moderate Republicans, independents and a lot of Democrats will vote for Ellis in November but the right-wing crazies will be foaming at the mouth and booing during the next Republican Convention even if Ellis wins.

If you think Lockhart is bad expect someone more crazy to replace him at the next Republican State Convention because all of the right-wing nuts will be out in full force.

Since it isn't a major election the majority of Republicans may stay home but I ask them not to.

PLEASE DON'T STAY HOME DURING THE NEXT CONVENTION.

It is important for you to take back your party and to do that you need to wrest it from the crazies who always attend the ORGANIZING CONVENTION. You will never regain control of your party if you stay home during the organizing convention since that is where the crazies stake their claim.

I hope you can regain control of your Party and wrest it from the hands of the right-wing crazies who model themselves after the evangelical right because if you don't it's over for your party because the LDS Church will defend its doctrinal teachings against the evangelical controlled Party.

• Resigning?
    July 7, 2008 4:47 p.m.

Does this release him of Crimianl Doing?
    Well we can see here where we have some funny stuff going on in the Capitol
    They want to lock us up
    I have a couple Judges InnBox Elder County that need a life sentance in the Jail
    They think they are really cute along with 2 prosecutors

• God will judge him for his wicke
    July 7, 2008 4:40 p.m.

Anonymous,

"Mike Ricards is just another confused Limbaughite who is fulfilling his duty and loyalty to his conservative guru who recently told his flock to "keep the pressure on liberals." Probably sensing the end is near for the new American conservative movement."

The result is that he opposes God and his prophets whenever he agrees with Limbaugh, Hannity, O'Reilly and all the other far-right crazies over scriptures and teachings of the Prophets.

He is grasping at straws, hoping beyond hope, that God will turn around and say "Well done, thou good and faithful servant" instead of "I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

He has made his bed so I say let him sleep in it for God will judge him for heeding the counsels of Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity and Bill O'Reilly over the living prophets.

• He's the innocent
    July 7, 2008 4:24 p.m.

Ellis is the gutsy good guy in this sorry story. He was given a job offer, in checking (after the offer) he found it was illegal, then he reported it in spite of the fact he knew it would be controversial. He chose the right path.
    Richard Ellis is still the only QUALIFIED candidate running for State Treasurer. Vote for him regardless of the countless other problems in the Republican Party.

• Unite
    July 7, 2008 4:21 p.m.

Moderates in both the Republican and Democrat parties need to unite to defeat the extreme right and left in Utah. It appears the Republicans have a split that is beyond repair with the current leadership.

• Big Al
    July 7, 2008 4:22 p.m.

Do any of you really think Walker wouldn't have stepped aside if he wasn't asked to by leadership? (Curtis, Valentine and Walker's other supporters like the AG.)

If Walker is innocent, stand up and defend yourself. Let the facts speak for themselves. I still believe in innocent until proven guilty. Resigning only makes it appear one is guilty and to get the story out of the press/media.

I'm sure Curtis has a state position for Walker to assume or as his paralegal at Anderson Development. Watch Walker assume the St. George Airport deal Anderson Dev./Curtis put together this past session.

• Great Timing! part 2
    July 7, 2008 4:07 p.m.

I want to correct myself. The holy pantheon, royal flush, or unbeatable candidate is:

An incumbent republican in Utah county that claims to go to church.

Truly unbeatable!

• Reader
    July 7, 2008 3:57 p.m.

Hopefully, the voters in November will clean up the rest of this corrupt bunch, such as Curtis, Bramble, and Buttars.

• Great Timing!
    July 7, 2008 3:52 p.m.

If memory serves this will be the 3 time that a republican has resigned their post with enough time for the GOB (Good 'Ole Boys)to assign a replacement prior to the election.

This will create the royal flush or holy pantheon if you will of candidates in Utah which is an incumbent Republican.

Hopefully people will get informed and stop blindly voting. Here's to a candidate that actually deserves to be there!

• Anonymous
    July 7, 2008 3:37 p.m.

Probably sensing the end is near for the new American conservative movement.

• Walker is a perfect example
    July 7, 2008 3:37 p.m.

RE: Mike Richards,

"And it's not the "liberal left" going after Mark Walker. Keep in mind, that election he lost in a landslide was a closed republican primary. I am a conservative republican person and have no issues with the truth being brought to light at Mark's expense."

The silent majority in the Republican Party stood up. They are fed up with the corruption, back-room deals and dishonest shenanigans. When the Republican National Committeewoman denounces the Utah County Republican Party and refers to their recent conduct as a "scheme" and say "It's just wrong and unfair," and "It allows party leaders to control who fills those seats rather than it be done on the precinct level."

The Republican Party Caucuses and Conventions is a nasty and disgusting experience. When you hear the Governor of the State being booed by members of his own party you begin to see that the far-right nuts control the Republican Caucuses and Conventions and that is why Walker came out ahead in the Convention but was overwhelmingly defeated in the Primary.

Even Republicans (the normal ones that is) are fed up with the corruption, dishonesty, and shenanigans.

Let's vote for conservative Democrats and moderate Republicans!

• Craig
    July 7, 2008 3:26 p.m.

I have also decided that I will vote a straight democratic ticket because I simply cannot recall any office holder from the democrat party ever being involved in scandal or impropriety. Democrats hold themselves to a standard higher than anybody else in the whole world. They are also smarter than anyone else in the whole world. God bless the democrat party. Why would anyone vote for someone who is not in the democrat party?

• Anonymous
    July 7, 2008 3:24 p.m.

I'm a good republican and a card carrying member of the GOP party. But after all of this I will vote for the Democrat, just because. Eillis is just as bad as the rest. I don't believe his hands are clean either. I feel for Mark Walker, he may have made a mistakes and he has paid the price and will continue to do so. Yes I believe Mr. Curtis is behind if not most of it all of it. The guy is a bad apple, yes he needs to go. I just hope people will get out and vote and review the facts.

• To "JustSayNoToRepublicans | 1:4
    July 7, 2008 3:17 p.m.

Too "JustSayNoToRepublicans | 1:41 p.m." and "Anonymous | 2:20 p.m."...

This isn't a simple "Elect more Democrats" or "Don't vote Republican" issue (though I'm sure that is the only solution partisan hacks can comprehend).

While this IS a black-eye for Republicans, I haven't seen any proof that Democrats are immune to this type of corruption. No policical party (R or D) has a corner on Morality. So just switching Democrats for Republicans doesn't necesarily fix the problem (unless your real goal is more Democrats).

Booting all Republicans and replacing them with Democrats DOESN'T guarantee this problem will end (unlike the rhetoric the partisan hacks will give you).

There are good people in both parties. We just need to find them.

• civicsguy
    July 7, 2008 3:14 p.m.

This mess is what we've earned with a one party system in Utah. Walker obviously resigned under presure to avoid the ethics investigation. By the time they get around to the criminal side of this mess it will be old news, The Republican Leadership will proclaim that he's paid enough penalty already and the fiasco will be swept under the rug. No wonder our upstanding leadership in the legislature always kill ethics reform bills yearly on arrival. If voters don't wake-up we'll see more of the same.

• Anonymous
    July 7, 2008 2:59 p.m.

Give me a break!
    Walker vacated his office because (like so many conservatives) got caught doing something he shouldn't have geen doing.
    This is the problem when the far-right really believe right is right. They thing they can get away with anything.

• v
    July 7, 2008 2:54 p.m.

Corruption happens when there is a one party system. The Utah GOP proves power corrupts. It is too bad that many of today's Utah Democrats are not social conservatives like many of the Utah Democrats of the 60's and 70's. Gov. Rampton, Gov. Matheson, U.S. Rep. McKay, and others were excellent conservative Democrats. I miss 'em. Our current state legislature is a corrupt mess.

I am pleased that Rep. Matheson is a good middle of the road representative. He's a keeper.

• Re: "Jeff | 9:41 a.m."
    July 7, 2008 2:52 p.m.

I agree with "Jeff | 9:41 a.m.". If Walker is guilty of bribery, Ellis is also dirty (he attended several meetings where he KNEW the offer at the root of the scandal was going to be discussed, then he didn't say anything to authorities until revealing the information could do maximum damage to his apponent and there wouldn't be enough time to resolve the issue or prove Ellis' involvement before the election was over).

Those who say, "Congrats to Richard Ellis", are congratulating someone for perfectly executing the dirtiest form of politics if you ask me. Ellis is just as dirty in this as Walker is. Neither of them deserver to be anywhere NEAR our government nor our money. (just my opinion).

• Walker's lawyer works for Curtis
    July 7, 2008 2:44 p.m.

Check out Curtis' law firm (hbcalaw). Curtis is using one of his own lawyers to defend Walker in order to make sure Curtis' name stays out of this. Why else would a real estate lawyer be defending a legislator's ethics violation?

• Bart
    July 7, 2008 2:39 p.m.

I don't think that Mike Richards and the rest of us have been reading the same article. Too bizarre.

• Wow Mike
    July 7, 2008 2:40 p.m.

You are starting to sound like your tinfoil hat is worn out and needs to be replaced.

• RE: Mike Richards
    July 7, 2008 2:26 p.m.

Mike:

Mr. Walker, in stepping aside, in fact admitted to ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! He still claims, despite his own "mistakes in judgment," it's others who are really at fault here and out to get him. It doesn't take "courage" and "valor" to step aside- again smearing your accusers in the process- to spare yourself the shame that you deserve for your conduct and lies.

You say, "What more should we expect" of Mark Walker. How about some accountability? Some humility? An apology?

• Anonymous
    July 7, 2008 2:20 p.m.

The far-righters will defend this sort of corruption until hell freezes over.
    Try as they may to blame the liberals, this will never happen.
    People are much smarter and politically savvy than the ignorant conservatives would like to think.
    That's why people are registering in droves to vote Democratic in November.

• Mike Richards
    July 7, 2008 2:13 p.m.

Some people would use any excuse to promote their Liberal Leftist agenda. Mr. Walker vacated his office. He must have had a good reason to do that; otherwise he would still be in office.

That takes courage. That takes valor. Even if he is guilty, it takes courage to step aside.

For the Liberal Left to make an issue against Conservatives because Mr. Walker did the right thing, is to show that they have no honor nor valor. They look for any opportunity to smear anyone on any subject.

Everyone should be applauding the fact that Mr. Walker admitted by his resignation that things were not as they should be in his office or in his conduct. What more should we expect?

How about if some of the Liberal Left bigots resign from their position of public trust for their thoughtless and self-centered comments as they try to advance their agenda at the expense of the public?

• JustSayNoToRepublicans
    July 7, 2008 1:41 p.m.

I'm with you MadMax!

• MadMax
    July 7, 2008 1:17 p.m.

The corruption now prevalent in the Utah GOP is a disgrace! I have been an independent voter ever since I began to vote 35 years ago. I have often voted for GOP candidates believing they would serve the principles of our founding fathers. The track record of our Utah 'Rs' runs contrary to what those principles are. My disgust is so high that I served as a delegate to the recent county and state Deomcratic conventions. While I can't vote for Sen. Obama I will vote for a nearly full slate of state and local Democratic candidates this year. The fault lies with the Utah Republican Party.
    It is past time for Republican officials to be held accountable for their actions. Instead of excoriating Richard Ellis, Sheryl Allen and David Irvine we ought to thank them for beginning this accountability process. Others must be held accountable too - Rep. Curtis, Sen. Buttars, Sen. Bramble, Sen. Stephenson, AG Shurtleff and even Gov. Huntsman.
    Utah you must investigate what your elected officials have done, not what they say. You will be surprised that they often act differently than what they tell us they will do. Elect folks who will represent us.

• GOP club
    July 7, 2008 12:32 p.m.

So I wonder who will be appointed to fill Walker's vacancy. Could it be Brian Monsen as a way to give the GOP candidate a leg up just before the Nov. election?

• In response to Hypocrite Jeff
    July 7, 2008 12:28 p.m.

Jeff,

"Congrats to Richard Ellis, Sheryl Allen and David Irvine for taking politics to its lowest possible form. The character assasination of Mark Walker will only keep more good people from entering politics. You should be ashamed."

If you call asking for an ethics investigation and drawing attention to facts character assassination you are as corrupt as Walker yet more importantly you are a hypocrite since you attack the character of Ellis, Allen and Irvine in your post.

• Lost GOP
    July 7, 2008 12:00 p.m.

Just watch Walker land in Curtis's law firm or doing grunt work in the AG office. The GOP leaders take care of their scapegoats.

• joe j
    July 7, 2008 11:53 a.m.

GOOD WE DO NOT NEED PEOPLE LIKE HIM TO MAKE LAWS.

• Bribe
    July 7, 2008 11:30 a.m.

I wonder how much he was offered to resign?

• JustSayNoToRepublicans
    July 7, 2008 11:22 a.m.

The Republican leadership of this state stinks. The biggest rotten apples remaining are Curtis, Shurtleff and Huntsman. They all need to go. Join me and fight for them all to be removed this November. Curtis just has to go, he's done so many dumb things and plays the retribution game to the hilt. Salt Lake County has been irrepairably hurt by his actions. Stop the Retrubution in Utah, get these bad apples out of office. Note: I've voted Republican in every elections since 1972. But not this year no way.

Mark Walker was the good solider for the the bigger apples that's for sure. He was their yes man and now look at all the mess that has been revealed.

• ulibsneedrealjobs
    July 7, 2008 11:22 a.m.

it's always u same conspiratorial crackpots posting about this story. You all need to get a life, none of you know what you're talking about which means you could all qualify as journalists under the SL Trib standards. Go get a job there and leave the rest of the world alone. You should all be investigated for your crime against the people; painful stupidity.

• RE: Fred
    July 7, 2008 11:18 a.m.

Don't forget the other witnesses, Fred. Plenty of other witnesses and documents ready to go. Why wouldn't Ellis and Empey testify? They have both already signed sworn affidavits of what happened. It's Walker who has legally signed his name to nothing. Although I guess he did sign the resignation letter someone wrote for him.

Does Curtis have his defense attorney yet?

• Reserve judgement
    July 7, 2008 11:17 a.m.

The real investigation is ongoing, so let justice run its course and reserve your judgement until all facts are heard. In this country we are all innocent until proven guilty.

• Vote Dick Clark in November
    July 7, 2008 11:16 a.m.

I could care less about the Treasurer's Office generally, but this activity stinks. I agree that Walker, Ellis, and Empey all get slaps on the wrist.

For the first time this November, I will actually vote, in good conscience, for a Democrat to be State Treasurer. I never cared before. But under the current circumstances, I cannot stand to see the dirty political games Ellis played be rewarded. May he lose hiw own job, just as Mark Walker did. I guess if you're an R like me, and you have to give in to the Ds, Treasurer is the place to start.

• Light
    July 7, 2008 10:52 a.m.

Seems that Walker and the other legislator (Curtis?) cannot operate in the light. What does that tell you Utah?

• Curious
    July 7, 2008 10:42 a.m.

Wonder who told Walker that they would take care of him if he just resigned? Good old boys protecting the good old boys. If now we could just get rid of the Curtises of the world.

• Nothing at all
    July 7, 2008 10:40 a.m.

Another one with dirty hands gone. When will the others be gone?

• Fred
    July 7, 2008 10:36 a.m.

This so-called ethics committee was just a kangaroo court. The only 3 witnesses that mattered here were Walker, Ellis and Empey. All 3 are subject to an on going criminal investigation. I guarantee all 3 have criminal defense lawyers telling them not to testify. That leaves a bunch of bystanders to discuss hearsay.

Ellis and Empey already filed an affidavit that they knew the offer was illegal and yet continued discussions with Walker. The prosecutors will slap all 3 on the wrist. Walker is already out of a job; Ellis and Empey are next.

• Anonymous
    July 7, 2008 10:33 a.m.

Corrupt party.
    Corrupt representatives.
    Corrupt good ol' boys club.

• Loose Lips Sink Ships
    July 7, 2008 10:24 a.m.

To review, Mark Walker doesn't sign anything to affirm his innocence (probably doesn't want to commit perjury), hides behind the Lieutenant Governor's decision not to investigate the "allegation" against him when the claim was made and now decides to resign before having to expose an unnamed legislator (i.e. Greg Curtis) for his part in extending a bribe.

If he weren't guilty, he would have been the first person demanding an immediate investigation into the matter and/or appearing before the ethics committee to clear his name. However, this hasn't happened for obvious reasons.

The next step to facilitating real change within the GOP of this state is by removing the cancer that is Greg Curtis, the chief puppet master. Wake up Utah and make sure to vote him out of office in November. He is an embarassment to the Republican party and to this great state.

• Observer1
    July 7, 2008 10:22 a.m.

The Republicans in Utah have become so entrenched with entitlement and power that even when a legislator resigns, there are still citizens defending him. I'm sorry, but if he were innocent he would not have resigned. It's time to clean up politics in this state and I wish they would all resign. And when I say all, I mean every single one - both Democrat and Republican.

• Anonymous
    July 7, 2008 10:02 a.m.

Lets build a memorial for walker and and praise what a hero he is for falling on the sword. Just remember, Don't blame me I voted democrat!

• Jason
    July 7, 2008 10:02 a.m.

The man resigned. Do you not think an innocent person would want to clear his good name? He saw the writing on the wall. There were plenty of witnesses other than Empey who were going to testify. The only unfortunate part of this is that we will never know for sure that Greg Curtis was the person who ultimatley would see that the bribe would happen.

I somewhat feel sorry for the guy but he never should have been so arrogant to think he would get away with doing something like this.

• To: This is a Sham...
    July 7, 2008 9:57 a.m.

I agree. Walker either resigned to cover himself or a fellow legislator (Curtis?).

• Carl
    July 7, 2008 9:57 a.m.

The graft of so many Republican years in absolute power is starting to surface and it stinks.

• The Good Soldier
    July 7, 2008 9:57 a.m.

Talk about falling on your sword for Curtis and the boys. Walker was the good soldier even to the very end.

• Don't get it
    July 7, 2008 9:56 a.m.

To Jeff: why are you still defending Walker? If he did nothing wrong, then he should have nothing to fear in front of an investigation. In fact, he should welcome an investigation to clear his name. He even admitted in the resignation letter, "I may have made some mistakes in judgment."

If you want to help Walker, don't post here; help him find a job.

• This is a sham....
    July 7, 2008 9:50 a.m.

...to quench a much-larger investigation into the top reaches of Utah's Republican party.

Unfortunately, it will probably work.

• Curious
    July 7, 2008 9:46 a.m.

Hey, Yahoo,
    Do you always tell your wife how to vote? Just wondered.

• Concerned
    July 7, 2008 9:44 a.m.

I just hope we discover the truth. The allegations are serious and should still be taken seriously. If the allegations are true, Utahns should not tolerate it.

• Mascaro's next
    July 7, 2008 9:42 a.m.

They really do need to go after Mascaro, even if he opposes vouchers and supports higher taxes on the rich. Right is right, wrong is wrong.

• Jeff
    July 7, 2008 9:41 a.m.

• Johny Fairplay
    July 7, 2008 9:40 a.m.

Yahoo, let your wife think for herself.

• obvious
    July 7, 2008 9:28 a.m.

This is the obvious result. He was already a lame-duck legislator. Walker couldn't testify to defend himself because of the ongoing criminal charges, so all this political grandstanding would be is a bunch of hearsay. It is too bad the committee couldn't figure that out before today. I guess they can look into Mascaro now . . . they have nothing else to do. Maybe they should try to be productive for a change.

• Yahoo
    July 7, 2008 9:25 a.m.

I voted for Walker out of ignorance, then I saw he was another East side Croni, and told my wife to vote for Ellis, sure glad Walker is out.

Now we only have 79 more cronies to get out, one less, Yahoo!